Randomly Crap Out Your Opinions Thread

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1747123 said:
    If The Pixies are obscure, then why are they in VH1 Classic's Legends of Rock book? (IMO they are not legens but VH1 thinks so)
    I am going to refrain from twitching and murdering you now.
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1747126 said:
    you kinda contradicted yourself
    Bah! Bah I say!
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1747139 said:
    Bah! Bah I say!
    i could say the same about many bands in the prog community, they are def. obscure, but they didnt receive commercial success and are popular in the prog community, but if i asked the general public, they wouldnt have a clue, im sure metalheads could do the same, punk as well, etc. etc. etc.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    ^Like say, Camel or Gentle Giant.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1747123 said:
    If The Pixies are obscure, then why are they in VH1 Classic's Legends of Rock book? (IMO they are not legens but VH1 thinks so
    I think we all know Vh1 only put obscure alt bands in those lists to get the music fans to like VH1.
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1747150 said:
    i could say the same about many bands in the prog community, they are def. obscure, but they didnt receive commercial success and are popular in the prog community, but if i asked the general public, they wouldnt have a clue, im sure metalheads could do the same, punk as well, etc. etc. etc.
    Well there are many reforms of "popular", it really depends where you live, what communities are established there, and other people in your circuit. But to the MAINSTREAM/RADIO ROCK/etc. public, yeah the Pixies are unknown. (I wouldn't ever call them obscure, though.)
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1747132 said:
    I am going to refrain from twitching and murdering you now.

Here's an explination from someone who shares my opinion:

I think bands who start something, like the Pixies, do deserve credit for that. But I don't think that automatically makes them Legends. To do that they need an extra something, which is basically that the stuff they produce has to be really good. For example, I think Blue Cheer started metal, but I would not put them on the list because their material was just OK. That's how I feel about the Pixies.
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1747152 said:
    ^Like say, Camel or Gentle Giant.
    like can, henry cow, stormy six, happy the man, soft machine, wigwam, triumvirat, goblin, art zoyd, national health, gilgamesh, dixie dregs, and others
    edited January 2009
    Again.

Bah! Bah I say!
    edited January 2009
    im sorry to start a fight, but seriously, you need to chill dude, its cool that u like more unknown bands, but just pointing out how bad so many popular bands are compared to those is irritating
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1747202 said:
    im sorry to start a fight, but seriously, you need to chill dude, its cool that u like more unknown bands, but just pointing out how bad so many popular bands are compared to those is irritating
    I was Bahing! to RBF. Pfft.

I am chill. :cool:
    edited January 2009
    You aren't gonna nominate him for the next leftover_crack, are you a21?
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1747209 said:
    Why would he? I don't think he has said any thing bluntly stupid besides having a few views that are obviously not shared by other posters here.
    edited January 2009
    nah, he at least has some logic behind his posts, where crack just fumed opinions out of every orifice at any chance he got that made no sense whatsoever
    edited January 2009
    anyways

in my opinion

Wings > the Beatles

Jet, Junior's Farm, Maybe I'm Amazed, Hi Hi Hi are imho, better than most Beatles songs
    edited January 2009
    a21schizoidman;1747255 said:
    anyways

in my opinion

Wings > the Beatles

Jet, Junior's Farm, Maybe I'm Amazed, Hi Hi Hi are imho, better than most Beatles songs
    Yeah, Jet is a nice tune; Jellyfish covered that and I love that cover. /irrelevantopinion
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1747259 said:
    Yeah, Jet is a nice tune; Jellyfish covered that and I love that cover. /irrelevantopinion
    i didnt really dig Jet til the Crawpuppies covered it at a concert

anyways, here the Crawpuppies playing Maybe I'm Amazed (bad audio tho)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPe_S9xKmww
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    I would kinda agree that
    Wings > Beatles
    mostly because I think Wings has some better and more catchy tunes like Band On The Run my favorite by them than The Beatles
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Your avy made me chuckle. :D
    edited January 2009
    It's called "Abby Roadkill"
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1747185 said:
    Here's an explination from someone who shares my opinion:
    Well, I think the Pixies made great music, as well as being highly influential.

Back to the Beatles thing, I think there is definitely enough material to fill a game. By far, the biggest problem is the guitar, although I would not be the least bit opposed to them charting piano/synth/organ/sitar, or whatever else. In fact, I pretty much expect sitar to be charted.

What I'm concerned about is the masters. I had no idea stuff before The White Album was usable... but they did get Roy Orbison. Of course, I do believe their later stuff work better, but Twist and Shout, Hard Days Night, Revolution, Taxman, and many other pre-white album songs are pretty much essential.

The drums will actually be fun, I believe. About on the level of AC/DC. Ringo just mostly keeps the beat, but he will throw in a fill or two. Bass should be pretty fun, and vocals are a no brainer. Guitar could be a bit stale on the majority, but they do have the option of charting other things.

I guess it's the polar opposite of Guitar Hero Metallica, then. The Beatles will be an all around easy game, not counting vocals (I can see songs like Yer Blues being absolute nightmares on vocals... the pitch changes constantly. Think Bob Dylan)... Metallica will have a pretty ridiculous difficulty curve.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    instantdeath999;1747807 said:
    Well, I think the Pixies made great music, as well as being highly influential.

Back to the Beatles thing, I think there is definitely enough material to fill a game. By far, the biggest problem is the guitar, although I would not be the least bit opposed to them charting piano/synth/organ/sitar, or whatever else. In fact, I pretty much expect sitar to be charted.

What I'm concerned about is the masters. I had no idea stuff before The White Album was usable... but they did get Roy Orbison. Of course, I do believe their later stuff work better, but Twist and Shout, Hard Days Night, Revolution, Taxman, and many other pre-white album songs are pretty much essential.

The drums will actually be fun, I believe. About on the level of AC/DC. Ringo just mostly keeps the beat, but he will throw in a fill or two. Bass should be pretty fun, and vocals are a no brainer. Guitar could be a bit stale on the majority, but they do have the option of charting other things.

I guess it's the polar opposite of Guitar Hero Metallica, then. The Beatles will be an all around easy game, not counting vocals (I can see songs like Yer Blues being absolute nightmares on vocals... the pitch changes constantly. Think Bob Dylan)... Metallica will have a pretty ridiculous difficulty curve.
    The Beatles is full of classics Metallica will be full of extreme metal songs
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited January 2009
    Fizzeler;1747818 said:
    The Beatles is full of classics Metallica will be full of extreme metal songs
    Metallica has never been anything close to extreme metal. Extreme metal is stuff like death and black metal.
    edited January 2009
    Alright_Computer;1747982 said:
    Metallica has never been anything close to extreme metal. Extreme metal is stuff like death and black metal.
    That's definitely debatable. It can actually be argued that Thrash metal was the first sub-genre of Extreme metal. Though it would definitely be the least "extreme" sub-genre, with the possible exception of power metal.
    edited January 2009
    instantdeath999;1748074 said:
    That's definitely debatable. It can actually be argued that Thrash metal was the first sub-genre of Extreme metal. Though it would definitely be the least "extreme" sub-genre, with the possible exception of power metal.
    That's true for the harder thrash songs, but I wouldn't consider anything by Metallica, especially stuff like the Black Album and Load/Reload, to be extreme metal.
    edited January 2009
    Alright_Computer;1748094 said:
    That's true for the harder thrash songs, but I wouldn't consider anything by Metallica, especially stuff like the Black Album and Load/Reload, to be extreme metal.
    But those aren't Thrash.
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1748112 said:
    But those aren't Thrash.
    But he wasn't referring to thrash, just Metallica.
    edited January 2009
    Alright_Computer;1748094 said:
    Of course, nothing after the Black album can be considered extreme metal. The whole definition of extreme metal is pretty static anyway, so it's debatable.

For example, I wouldn't hesitate to call Kill em' All extreme metal, since it is one of the first thrash albums, and I believe the first in America, though I could be and probably am wrong.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    instantdeath999;1748074 said:
    I don't think I've heard Power Metal described as an extreme metal sub-genre. You might be thinking of Doom.
    edited January 2009
    I've heard every Metal subgenre but Hair and Traditional as Extreme.