The Beatles: ROCK BAND - Rumors and Facts

Comments

  • santoronsantoron Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    DMBillies;2280751 said:
    Upon hearing the news that the bundle would include a Bass I was pretty excited. I think Bass deserves its own thing and having a guitar that plays differently (hopefully) would really add to a different feeling for it. Also, the drum kit sounds pretty awesome (we'll see how it is actually executed).

    After some reflection though (and I hope I can be proven wrong as more details on the instruments/game are released), I am actually quite disappointed that a regular guitar will not accompany the pack. The main reason being that I really need one and was hoping to pick a new one up with the game (cheaper by the bundle).

    Additionally, I really think I have no need for a mic or mic stand (I have both already... and in fact I already have 2 mics IF there are harmonies). The only way I'd want another mic is if it were wireless.

    Basically, with the info I have right now, the price tag seems purty steep for a bass, drums, and game... unless the drums are absolutely epic (meaning strongly built and not cheesy looking).

    So, all in all, I'm torn and I really hope instruments will be offered separately (at least eventually) because at that price tag I might rather pick and choose.
    I think it's safe to say that the Hofner will function exactly as a regular RB guitar would. It may have a longer neck but I doubt with it's inclusion in the bundle it will even have the split strummer that the Fender bass has. Harmonix isn't going to include a guitar peripheral (even one modeled after a bass guitar) that wont function well as your primary guitar for those that will only have the one included.

    As far as separate instruments, an earlier press release stated that the guitars would be sold separately at 99.99 each. No word on the drums (that I know of).
  • TheKitchenManTheKitchenMan Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    I almost believe it is imperative that TB:RB will have to include multi-vocals because unless the game is way overcharted, you're not going to have the same difficulty level that we have become accustomed to. Let's face it, the songs themselves, if done correctly, are not going to be that hard to play. The Beatles were not known for their amazing fretwork or hardcore drum fills. After getting through Painkiller, Hey Jude would seem like heading back to Kindergarten after graduating college. Not that I'm dissing The Beatles, it just is what it is. The Beatles had simple melodies and beautifully interwoven vocals. I think the only way to raise the level of play to match that of RB and RB2 is to force the player to step up to the mic while playing an instrument at the same time. I know there are a few of you Rock Gods out there that can do both on expert at the same time (if you can, you probably need to put down the plastic and pick up some real instruments), but I know I am forced to drop down some levels to play guitar and sing. That's where the difficulty for this game will come from. Plus, when you add in 3-part harmonies it just gets even tougher. That's the only way I can see that the game would hold much long-term playability.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    santoron;2281202 said:
    I think it's safe to say that the Hofner will function exactly as a regular RB guitar would. It may have a longer neck but I doubt with it's inclusion in the bundle it will even have the split strummer that the Fender bass has. Harmonix isn't going to include a guitar peripheral (even one modeled after a bass guitar) that wont function well as your primary guitar for those that will only have the one included.
    You may be right (and it did occur to me that might be the case).

    If you are right, then I think HMX is missing a glaring opportunity to "evolve" the game. Part of the reason bass is looked down upon is because it is (generally) just a dumbed down, repetitive version of guitar that requires basically the same skill set. Incorporating a different peripheral design (a longer neck is not "different") wouldn't preclude people wanting to use a regular guitar from doing so while at the same time providing a fun change for those who drop the cash.

    Also, if you are right, my interest in the bundle just went through the floor...
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited April 2009
    DMBillies;2281956 said:
    You may be right (and it did occur to me that might be the case).

    If you are right, then I think HMX is missing a glaring opportunity to "evolve" the game. Part of the reason bass is looked down upon is because it is (generally) just a dumbed down, repetitive version of guitar that requires basically the same skill set. Incorporating a different peripheral design (a longer neck is not "different") wouldn't preclude people wanting to use a regular guitar from doing so while at the same time providing a fun change for those who drop the cash.

    Also, if you are right, my interest in the bundle just went through the floor...
    How do you propose to evolve the Bass playing? Show me something that makes sense and I'll give you credit up the wazzoo.

    There really isn't a way to "evolve" the bass, outside of adding more buttons (which wouldn't add that much in all honesty). Bass really is just a "dumbed down repetitive version of guitar" (and I'm a Bass player too), with the exception of a few select amazing Bass players who took their art to the next level (John Entwistle, etc).
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited April 2009
    santoron;2281202 said:
    I think it's safe to say that the Hofner will function exactly as a regular RB guitar would. It may have a longer neck but I doubt with it's inclusion in the bundle it will even have the split strummer that the Fender bass has. Harmonix isn't going to include a guitar peripheral (even one modeled after a bass guitar) that wont function well as your primary guitar for those that will only have the one included.
    Do you have the P-Bass? You can use it as your primary guitar just as well. I mean, I use it as my primary guitar, whether I'm playing bass or not. I kinda have to - when you play online people usually like switching between guitar and bass and it's not like you'll want to switch controllers just to play guitar (and it's a pain in the butt with 360 controller sign in issues). It works great for me.

    I actually prefer it even if I'm playing guitar BECAUSE of that longer neck. As a real guitar player, I like how it's closer to the size of a real guitar neck and it feels more comfortable for me to use for that reason. I know when I'm forced to use the Xplorer for GH2 and GH3 I hate how I have to have the elbow of my fretting arm like right up against my body when I play. It's so uncomfortable.
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    TheKitchenMan;2281549 said:
    I almost believe it is imperative that TB:RB will have to include multi-vocals because unless the game is way overcharted, you're not going to have the same difficulty level that we have become accustomed to.
    If anyone is playing the Beatles game for challenge sake, I think they're in for a huge disappointment. This, in my opinion, is a game for the fun factor.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Mr. Tate;2282022 said:
    If anyone is playing the Beatles game for challenge sake, I think they're in for a huge disappointment. This, in my opinion, is a game for the fun factor.
    Agreed, but I still hope it supports multiple vocals. Not so much for the challenge, but for the fun factor. I do voxtar/voxbass already. My husband's preferred instrument is vocals so when we play together, I can't officially sing in game but I do sing backup vocals/harmonies anyway. I'd love it if what I'm singing anyway it would do something in game. That would be fun to me. I'd also have an excuse to buy a second mic stand. :)
  • reycrireycri Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Mr. Tate;2282022 said:
    If anyone is playing the Beatles game for challenge sake, I think they're in for a huge disappointment. This, in my opinion, is a game for the fun factor.
    I agree with this - especially on drums...
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2009
    jeccaneko;2282030 said:
    Agreed, but I still hope it supports multiple vocals. Not so much for the challenge, but for the fun factor. I do voxtar/voxbass already. My husband's preferred instrument is vocals so when we play together, I can't officially sing in game but I do sing backup vocals/harmonies anyway. I'd love it if what I'm singing anyway it would do something in game. That would be fun to me. I'd also have an excuse to buy a second mic stand. :)
    It's been basically confirmed that The Beatles: Rock Band will have vocal harmonies.
  • RMThompsonRMThompson Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2282250 said:
    It's been basically confirmed that The Beatles: Rock Band will have vocal harmonies.
    I don't know about that. Just because everyone WANTS it doesn't mean it's Basically been confirmed.

    Look at it from a players standpoint... how can they do that for solo players? They going to allow you JUST to sing the songs if you want?

    Also, thus far Rock Band games have always been 4 players. 2 Singers means you HAVE to make one person on a instrument and singing.

    I will say it's a strong possibility, but I wouldn't get too excited until we see something solid. However, the inclusion of a Mic Stand over Ringo's drums on the official website is pretty interesting, especially now that we have confirmation of a mic stand being included in the Bundle!
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2009
    RMThompson;2282292 said:
    I don't know about that. Just because everyone WANTS it doesn't mean it's Basically been confirmed.

    Look at it from a players standpoint... how can they do that for solo players? They going to allow you JUST to sing the songs if you want?

    Also, thus far Rock Band games have always been 4 players. 2 Singers means you HAVE to make one person on a instrument and singing.

    I will say it's a strong possibility, but I wouldn't get too excited until we see something solid. However, the inclusion of a Mic Stand over Ringo's drums on the official website is pretty interesting, especially now that we have confirmation of a mic stand being included in the Bundle!
    Game Informer reported it. That's a pretty credible source methinks.
  • JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    All I see from Game Informer is the phrase "rumor has it" which means exactly what it says.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2009
    Jordashebasics;2283318 said:
    All I see from Game Informer is the phrase "rumor has it" which means exactly what it says.
    Rumor also had it that Moving Pictures would be a DLC album, and they got that right.
  • davedamondavedamon Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    jeccaneko;2282013 said:
    Do you have the P-Bass? You can use it as your primary guitar just as well. I mean, I use it as my primary guitar, whether I'm playing bass or not. I kinda have to - when you play online people usually like switching between guitar and bass and it's not like you'll want to switch controllers just to play guitar (and it's a pain in the butt with 360 controller sign in issues). It works great for me.

    I actually prefer it even if I'm playing guitar BECAUSE of that longer neck. As a real guitar player, I like how it's closer to the size of a real guitar neck and it feels more comfortable for me to use for that reason. I know when I'm forced to use the Xplorer for GH2 and GH3 I hate how I have to have the elbow of my fretting arm like right up against my body when I play. It's so uncomfortable.
    I'm a quite seriously hoping that the TB:RB 'violin bass' will feature the dual strum bar akin to that featured on the P-Bass. I have been considering purchasing the P-Bass as I wanted something different for my bass player, but was holding out for the rumoured wireless version. Now, the split strum bar is apparently patented by Mad Catz, which means there's a good chance it might not feature on any first party HMX instrument. But there's hoping that said feature, which really defines your fake plastic guitar as a fake plastic BASS guitar, more so than a longer neck, will be included. Perhaps the rumoured wireless version IS the beatles bass
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    whofan;2281980 said:
    How do you propose to evolve the Bass playing? Show me something that makes sense and I'll give you credit up the wazzoo.

    There really isn't a way to "evolve" the bass, outside of adding more buttons (which wouldn't add that much in all honesty). Bass really is just a "dumbed down repetitive version of guitar" (and I'm a Bass player too), with the exception of a few select amazing Bass players who took their art to the next level (John Entwistle, etc).
    As has been mentioned, the P-bass features the split strummer, which does define it as a bass more-so than a long neck. It takes the bass (having basically the same kind of charts as guitar except slower and more repetitive for most songs) and forces the player to use a different style. When you think about it... that's all a real bass guitar is. So, although the P-bass split strum may be patented, I am hoping that the official HMX bass has some sort of different strum style. Frankly, I'm not at all interested in a bass where the only difference is a slightly longer neck and a different overall look. That's all I was really saying. Officially differentiating the bass by releasing a HMX bass with a different strum style would be a first step in bringing the bass into it's own...

    Right now, I admit I don't play the bass because it seems like a less fun version of guitar. If I had to adapt to a new playing style, I might have a bit more respect for the bass and feel the need to play it instead of the guitar (I really enjoy switching to everything for a change of pace but on bass my playing style is pretty much identical and I don't get anything different out of playing it).

    Edit: And as a person playing on the PS3, I don't have the option of the P-bass. On that note, is the P-bass pretty awesome? I am wondering if HMX might actually benefit in the long run by teaming up with someone who does periphs like Mad Catz (to replace what Red Octane used to do).
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I am hoping the bass will provide a different style of game play and that is why they are including it in the bundle.
  • IErrantVentureIIErrantVentureI Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    HEY!

    I got ya'll some stuff to check out.

    Ya know... like.... FOOTAGE FROM THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND!

    Look behind Paul at the big screen. Takes a few to get into it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHZIpZCsrwA

    EDIT: I like this one better. Just not as long.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O161a08uNF4&fmt=18


    And the official confirmation.

    It was a night of high emotion, the anniversary of losing Linda, memories of George and John and Liverpool youth, it was a night of conquering a whole new crowd, it was a night of firsts and was the unexpected, unannounced world premiere of the images from the coming Beatle Rock Band game which played on vast screens throughout Got To Get You Into My Life.


    http://www.paulmccartney.com/news.php#1599/2009-04
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    Great find, Errant. :)

    Hard to tell from the video, but what I could see looked like spot-on captures of the band. It was mainly Paul, of course (possibly for legal reasons...???), but his look was perfect. Seemed like an Abbey Road studio venue and some sort of psychedelic trip with the band flying through space and fireworks and stuff....the headphones and the Hofner look great.
  • IErrantVentureIIErrantVentureI Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Sayburr, will you add to the OP that the rating of this game is T?

    It's rated T for tobacco references and mild lyrics. So I got to thinking....

    A Day in The Life Lyrics:

    Woke up, got out of bed
    Dragged a comb across my head
    Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
    And looking up, i noticed i was late
    Found my coat and grabbed my hat
    Made the bus in seconds flat
    Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
    Somebody spoke and i went into a dream...




    And, I'm So Tired Lyrics:


    I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset
    Although I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette
    And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
    He was such a stupid git...




    Can anybody think of more?
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    IErrantVentureI;2291363 said:
    Sayburr, will you add to the OP that the rating of this game is T?

    It's rated T for tobacco references and mild lyrics. So I got to thinking....

    A Day in The Life Lyrics:

    Woke up, got out of bed
    Dragged a comb across my head
    Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
    And looking up, i noticed i was late
    Found my coat and grabbed my hat
    Made the bus in seconds flat
    Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
    Somebody spoke and i went into a dream...




    And, I'm So Tired Lyrics:


    I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset
    Although I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette
    And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
    He was such a stupid git...




    Can anybody think of more?
    I'm pretty sure the tobacco references would go under "Mild Lyrics" or "Lyrics".
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    ZosoBaron;2291963 said:
    I'm pretty sure the tobacco references would go under "Mild Lyrics" or "Lyrics".
    I think what Errant was aiming for was trying to find songs that had tobacco references --- those are the ones we could add as likely appearing in the game.

    And yes, I'd luh-huv to see "A Day In the Life" and "I'm So Tired" in the setlist, but both seem pretty iffy in terms of actual gameplay --- not much to do for anyone but the vocalist(s). ..
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    The Beatles smoked, so it's probably just them smoking in the studio.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2009
    cherokeesam;2292047 said:
    I think what Errant was aiming for was trying to find songs that had tobacco references --- those are the ones we could add as likely appearing in the game.

    And yes, I'd luh-huv to see "A Day In the Life" and "I'm So Tired" in the setlist, but both seem pretty iffy in terms of actual gameplay --- not much to do for anyone but the vocalist(s). ..
    I could see "A Day in the Life" being the grand finale.

    The footage from the McCartney concert looked unfinished, but I have high hopes!
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2009
    OK, added a note about the video of game footage and linked it to the discussion thread. Thanks Skittles for making the video and breaking this news to the world!!!!
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2009
    IErrantVentureI;2291363 said:
    Can anybody think of more?
    Sex
    Why don't we d-d-do it in the road!

    Drugs
    I get high, with a little help from my friends

    Murder
    I'd rather see you dead, little girl,
    Than to be with another man.
    You'd better keep your head, little girl,
    Or I won't know where I am.
    You'd better run for your life if you can, little girl,
    Hide your head in the sand, little girl.
    Catch you with another man,
    That's the end - ah, little girl.
  • The RentsThe Rents Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    I just noticed that the T rating has been replaced with rating pending....
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    The Rents;2298106 said:
    I just noticed that the T rating has been replaced with rating pending....
    Where? It's still T on the official site.
  • deadpool247deadpool247 Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    Sayburr;2297681 said:
    Sex
    Why don't we d-d-do it in the road!

    Drugs
    I get high, with a little help from my friends

    Murder
    I'd rather see you dead, little girl,
    Than to be with another man.
    You'd better keep your head, little girl,
    Or I won't know where I am.
    You'd better run for your life if you can, little girl,
    Hide your head in the sand, little girl.
    Catch you with another man,
    That's the end - ah, little girl.

    Murder

    ALL of Maxwell's Silver Hammer.
  • PeppersPeppers Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Sex:

    And from the first time that she really done me,
    Ooh she done me, she done me good.
    I guess nobody ever really done me,
    Ooh she done me, she done me good.


    Please please please let "Don't Let Me Down" be in the game.
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Please Please Me perhaps?
Sign In or Register to comment.