The Beatles: ROCK BAND - Rumors and Facts

Comments

• SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2009
  • HazyCloudHazyCloud Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Sayburr;2303564 said:
    Another USB hub?
    Each mic should take a controller spot on the console. A simple USB hub won't work this time. ;)

We would need a hub that allows 3 mics but only takes one spot as the controller.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited April 2009
    HazyCloud;2303699 said:
    Each mic should take a controller spot on the console. A simple USB hub won't work this time. ;)

We would need a hub that allows 3 mics but only takes one spot as the controller.
    I seriously doubt that they'll implement it this way. I bet you'll have the option to have 3 stand-alone vocalists, or you can add vocals to another instrument. Like a checkbox "Vocals?" when you select guitar/bass/drums. Then you only need the hub, and you'll select both difficulties from your guitar/drum controller. Theoretically, this would allow the 4 main instruments, plus 2 harmony vocals, allowing 6 people to play if you trick the system.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited April 2009
    This game keeps looking better and better
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2009
    I can see there only being one pitch scroll but three lyric scrolls. The pitch lines could all scroll at the same time because they are most of the time at different pitches for harmonies.
  • PeppersPeppers Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Don't forgot that the usb in the back of the 360 works also, so theoretically you only need 1 if you're not using a wireless controller

4 with the hub (Drums, Bass, Guitar, Mic 1), Wireless controller, 1 USB for 2nd Mic (this makes the front all taken up)

Plug in the third microphone in the back usb port.
  • yennk1yennk1 Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    i hope we will be able to play with 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drums, and 3 mic at the same time.

if yes, the game will be very amazing
    if no, the game will be amazing
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2009
    HazyCloud;2303699 said:

Why can't you use one controller and three mics? The mics can send data to the system and one controller can be used to input for the menus. I don't think the mic and the controller each use a slot.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited April 2009
    I wonder how this will even work on the PS3. You can't assign mics to controllers or anything... I won't even try to hook up 2 mics at the same time... I'm afraid it'd asplode.
  • TheKitchenManTheKitchenMan Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Do the Lips mics take up a controller slot or not? I saw this question somewhere else, but I don't know if I ever saw a definitive answer. If they do not, then this would take care of the problem on the 360, at least.
  • russintexasrussintexas Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    TheKitchenMan;2306860 said:
    Do the Lips mics take up a controller slot or not? I saw this question somewhere else, but I don't know if I ever saw a definitive answer. If they do not, then this would take care of the problem on the 360, at least.
    They do not take controller slots. On all 3 platforms, microphones are handled completely separately from controllers. There is no one-to-one correspondence between controllers and microphones. Indeed, you can play Lips with 2 mics and 4 controllers. It's a pretty dumb way to play, but you can do it.

I'd imagine that whoever is "playing Paul" would control any mic settings from his lovely hofner replica. Likewise George and John.
  • deadpool247deadpool247 Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    Zeleii;2303738 said:
    This game keeps looking better and better

You've got to admit it's getting better -- it's getting better all the time. :D
  • UneasyMonkeyUneasyMonkey Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    deadpool247;2307324 said:
    You've got to admit it's getting better -- it's getting better all the time. :D
    Nice...

Yeah I think the drums and bass/guitar will be wireless, so you might not even need the hub. I like the idea where the lead singer will still only use a controller and just sing, but for the other two mics, the guitarist and the bassist can select vocals if they want to sing or not. They would select the difficulty for singing after they select their instrument difficulty. That's why they include the mic stand, so the bassist or guitarist can sing while they play...And yeah, technically six people can play at the same time. That would be great for parties, but it might be boring for the people only harmonizing and not playing an instrument at the same time
  • SveppiSveppi Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    I think I'm seriously compelled to buy the bundle for the collector's value.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    whofan;2301467 said:
    The PS2 is almost 10 years old, perhaps it can't handle the processing needed for this game?
    Unlikely, but possible.
    I feel for ya, I really do, but the PS2 has had it's run. It's like me saying why doesn't this come out on Xbox (original), or Gamecube, or Dreamcast?
    None of those consoles are supported by their manufacturer any more. The PS2 is, so this is an invalid comparison.

At the end of the day, it really is up to MTV Games/Harmonix to decide if it is worth their while to make Rock Band for the PS2. Either they will or won't, based on whether they think it will make them enough money to return on their investment. Maybe they aren't happy with sales of PS2 Rock Band, who knows. As other posters have pointed out, the PS2 is getting long in the tooth and more publishers are making this kind of decision every day. Whether it is fair or not, the bottom line is you are going to find less and less new software being made for the console over time.
    edited April 2009
    Just accept it, the PS2 is old and there will be no more Rock Band games for it. HMX decided it's not worth developing on an old system like that. They like to focus on DLC too, and the PS2 can't do that. I thought everyone who played videogames these days has something more than a PS2, like at least a Wii or the hard drive-less Xbox 360 that's only 200 bucks...
    edited April 2009
    russintexas;2307250 said:
    They do not take controller slots. On all 3 platforms, microphones are handled completely separately from controllers.
    Wrong. When using the standard Rock Band microphone on the Xbox 360, it will take up one spot as 1 of the 4 controllers. Sure you can be specific and say the actual mic doesn't take the slot and the controller does, but you need a controller activated to use the mic.

If LIPS doesn't take up 2 slots while using the mics, this is probably how RB: The Beatles will do it.
  • JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    While the PS2 does have substantially more units out there, I think

(and this is speculation on my part)

Part of the deal between HMX and Apple may have been to ensure that they could continue to provide DLC. Downloadable songs are pretty lucrative - they have a very long time available for sale, the production costs don't compare to the costs of manufacturing disks and packaging. Plus, the longer they make content available, the longer shelf life the game itself is.
    edited April 2009
    HazyCloud;2308190 said:
    Wrong. When using the standard Rock Band microphone on the Xbox 360, it will take up one spot as 1 of the 4 controllers. Sure you can be specific and say the actual mic doesn't take the slot and the controller does, but you need a controller activated to use the mic.

If LIPS doesn't take up 2 slots while using the mics, this is probably how RB: The Beatles will do it.
    Actually, you are wrong. The controller takes up the slot, not the microphone. I can plug in the microphone anytime I want without losing a controller slot. If I want to play Vocals on Rock Band, I have to plug in a controller. Well, the guitars are controllers too, so why couldn't they select difficulty for both the vocal harmony and the guitar?
    edited April 2009
    iamtheddrman;2308329 said:
    Actually, you are wrong. The controller takes up the slot, not the microphone. I can plug in the microphone anytime I want without losing a controller slot. If I want to play Vocals on Rock Band, I have to plug in a controller.
    You didn't read my whole post, did you? What you just said in yours, I said in mine. To use the mic on your console, you need a controller plugged in. Thus causing the mic to take up one of controller slots. The mic does not work on any RB game without a controller.
    iamtheddrman;2308329 said:
    Well, the guitars are controllers too, so why couldn't they select difficulty for both the vocal harmony and the guitar?
    They can. The discussion here is how it will work. The Xbox only accepts 4 controllers. If The Beatles will support 3 mics, they all need to only take one slot combined for it to work. They can't each have their own slot on the console.
    edited April 2009
    Abaddon;2308075 said:

At the end of the day, it really is up to MTV Games/Harmonix to decide if it is worth their while to make Rock Band for the PS2. Either they will or won't, based on whether they think it will make them enough money to return on their investment. Maybe they aren't happy with sales of PS2 Rock Band, who knows. As other posters have pointed out, the PS2 is getting long in the tooth and more publishers are making this kind of decision every day. Whether it is fair or not, the bottom line is you are going to find less and less new software being made for the console over time.
    Well, with the announcement that LEGO Rock Band will be available on Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and the DS, it appears they have made their decision. If you want to continue to buy the newest RB games, it's time to start sticking back $20 from each paycheck for a new console.
    edited April 2009
    HazyCloud;2308521 said:

They can. The discussion here is how it will work. The Xbox only accepts 4 controllers. If The Beatles will support 3 mics, they all need to only take one slot combined for it to work. They can't each have their own slot on the console.
    How I was thinking it would work would be that the first standard controller is obviously for vocals. Then, I imagined that there would some setting to turn vocals on/off during the time you choose guitar/bass. If you choose vocals on, then a mic is tied to your controller (plastic guitar). I also thought that there would be a way to choose which vocal part you sang i.e. lead, backing #1, backing #2.
    edited April 2009
    on the others RB, the microphone go with 1 controller (normal) so the second mic gonna work with the guitar etc. and the instrument gonna be wireless so we dont have the roblem of the plugs
    edited April 2009
    on the others RB, the microphone go with 1 controller (normal) so the second mic gonna work with the guitar etc. and the instrument gonna be wireless so we dont have the roblem of the plugs
    edited April 2009
    edited April 2009
    TheKitchenMan;2308594 said:
    How I was thinking it would work would be that the first standard controller is obviously for vocals. Then, I imagined that there would some setting to turn vocals on/off during the time you choose guitar/bass. If you choose vocals on, then a mic is tied to your controller (plastic guitar). I also thought that there would be a way to choose which vocal part you sang i.e. lead, backing #1, backing #2.
    This. Some songs would only have one backing track or none at all, so you decide if you want to sing or not after you pick a song
  • C-Pr0mptC-Pr0mpt Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    You guys are getting your hopes up over this harmony stuff. I don't think it's gonna work out how you people are intending it to. When everything is said and done, I think you are still only going to be able to make 4 selections at a time. Rather that be a guitarist, drummer, bassist, and vocalist, or 3 vocalists and just a drummer.... You get my point.
    edited April 2009
    TheKitchenMan;2308594 said:
    This is what I was thinking as well. I posted it a few pages back I believe.
    HazyCloud;2308521 said:
    You didn't read my whole post, did you? What you just said in yours, I said in mine. To use the mic on your console, you need a controller plugged in. Thus causing the mic to take up one of controller slots. The mic does not work on any RB game without a controller.

I actually did read your whole post, but you said a guy was wrong, then contradicted yourself, so I was going to clarify. Yes I know you can't sing without a controller connected, but I've also sung using a headset plugged into the controller. The microphone itself is not special, it's the controller that makes you the vocalist.

If they plan to support 3-part harmonies, I'd bet money that they will have direct support for voxtar while only taking one controller slot. Whether that means a microphone plugged into the guitar, or some way of identifying which mic goes with which player remains to be seen, but I guarantee that 3-part harmony on vocals won't require 3 separate standard controllers.
    C-Pr0mpt;2309081 said:
    You guys are getting your hopes up over this harmony stuff. I don't think it's gonna work out how you people are intending it to. When everything is said and done, I think you are still only going to be able to make 4 selections at a time. Rather that be a guitarist, drummer, bassist, and vocalist, or 3 vocalists and just a drummer.... You get my point.
    I completely disagree. Direct support of voxtar (i.e. guitarist singing in the game) has been a heavily requested feature since RB1. I think they're taking the opportunity with the Beatles game to implement this. It shouldn't be hard to have a "Backup Vocals" menu in addition to the Bass/Guitar menu and Difficulty menu. It could look like:

Instrument:
    Bass
    Guitar
    <----choose one of these

Difficulty (Guitar/Bass)
    <----choose difficulty

Vocals:
    None
    Backup 1 (or John)
    Backup 2 (or George)
    <----choose one of these

if not "None" chosen:
    Difficulty (Vocals)
    <----choose difficulty
  • russintexasrussintexas Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    HazyCloud;2308190 said:
    Lips takes ZERO slots for the mic. The mic is not a controller. The mic is a mic. There is no one-to-one correspondence between mics and controllers.

It's all about how HMX chooses to present the interface; none of the supported platforms support less than 4 mics and 4 controllers simultaneously at the hardware level. (The wii supports 4 GC controllers, 4 wiimotes, and 4 mics simultaneously).
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    As somebody who loves singing all the various parts of Beatles songs when listening to them, I'm thrilled that we'll be getting the ability to sing harmonies in the game. This game just keeps getting better and better.

Now I need to make sure I have a couple of days off to play the game when it comes out. Have to schedule a visit to the family, as we are all hardcore Beatles fans.

Is it too early to start making Beatles Friends lists to play with online?