The Beatles: ROCK BAND - Rumors and Facts

Comments

• UneasyMonkeyUneasyMonkey Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    Just accept it, the PS2 is old and there will be no more Rock Band games for it. HMX decided it's not worth developing on an old system like that. They like to focus on DLC too, and the PS2 can't do that. I thought everyone who played videogames these days has something more than a PS2, like at least a Wii or the hard drive-less Xbox 360 that's only 200 bucks...
  • HazyCloudHazyCloud Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    russintexas;2307250 said:
    They do not take controller slots. On all 3 platforms, microphones are handled completely separately from controllers.
    Wrong. When using the standard Rock Band microphone on the Xbox 360, it will take up one spot as 1 of the 4 controllers. Sure you can be specific and say the actual mic doesn't take the slot and the controller does, but you need a controller activated to use the mic.

If LIPS doesn't take up 2 slots while using the mics, this is probably how RB: The Beatles will do it.
  • JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    While the PS2 does have substantially more units out there, I think

(and this is speculation on my part)

Part of the deal between HMX and Apple may have been to ensure that they could continue to provide DLC. Downloadable songs are pretty lucrative - they have a very long time available for sale, the production costs don't compare to the costs of manufacturing disks and packaging. Plus, the longer they make content available, the longer shelf life the game itself is.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited April 2009
    HazyCloud;2308190 said:
    Wrong. When using the standard Rock Band microphone on the Xbox 360, it will take up one spot as 1 of the 4 controllers. Sure you can be specific and say the actual mic doesn't take the slot and the controller does, but you need a controller activated to use the mic.

If LIPS doesn't take up 2 slots while using the mics, this is probably how RB: The Beatles will do it.
    Actually, you are wrong. The controller takes up the slot, not the microphone. I can plug in the microphone anytime I want without losing a controller slot. If I want to play Vocals on Rock Band, I have to plug in a controller. Well, the guitars are controllers too, so why couldn't they select difficulty for both the vocal harmony and the guitar?
  • HazyCloudHazyCloud Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    iamtheddrman;2308329 said:
    Actually, you are wrong. The controller takes up the slot, not the microphone. I can plug in the microphone anytime I want without losing a controller slot. If I want to play Vocals on Rock Band, I have to plug in a controller.
    You didn't read my whole post, did you? What you just said in yours, I said in mine. To use the mic on your console, you need a controller plugged in. Thus causing the mic to take up one of controller slots. The mic does not work on any RB game without a controller.
    iamtheddrman;2308329 said:
    Well, the guitars are controllers too, so why couldn't they select difficulty for both the vocal harmony and the guitar?
    They can. The discussion here is how it will work. The Xbox only accepts 4 controllers. If The Beatles will support 3 mics, they all need to only take one slot combined for it to work. They can't each have their own slot on the console.
  • TheKitchenManTheKitchenMan Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    Abaddon;2308075 said:

At the end of the day, it really is up to MTV Games/Harmonix to decide if it is worth their while to make Rock Band for the PS2. Either they will or won't, based on whether they think it will make them enough money to return on their investment. Maybe they aren't happy with sales of PS2 Rock Band, who knows. As other posters have pointed out, the PS2 is getting long in the tooth and more publishers are making this kind of decision every day. Whether it is fair or not, the bottom line is you are going to find less and less new software being made for the console over time.
    Well, with the announcement that LEGO Rock Band will be available on Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and the DS, it appears they have made their decision. If you want to continue to buy the newest RB games, it's time to start sticking back $20 from each paycheck for a new console.
    edited April 2009
    HazyCloud;2308521 said:

They can. The discussion here is how it will work. The Xbox only accepts 4 controllers. If The Beatles will support 3 mics, they all need to only take one slot combined for it to work. They can't each have their own slot on the console.
    How I was thinking it would work would be that the first standard controller is obviously for vocals. Then, I imagined that there would some setting to turn vocals on/off during the time you choose guitar/bass. If you choose vocals on, then a mic is tied to your controller (plastic guitar). I also thought that there would be a way to choose which vocal part you sang i.e. lead, backing #1, backing #2.
  • yennk1yennk1 Opening Act
    edited April 2009
    on the others RB, the microphone go with 1 controller (normal) so the second mic gonna work with the guitar etc. and the instrument gonna be wireless so we dont have the roblem of the plugs
    edited April 2009
    on the others RB, the microphone go with 1 controller (normal) so the second mic gonna work with the guitar etc. and the instrument gonna be wireless so we dont have the roblem of the plugs
    edited April 2009
    edited April 2009
    TheKitchenMan;2308594 said:
    How I was thinking it would work would be that the first standard controller is obviously for vocals. Then, I imagined that there would some setting to turn vocals on/off during the time you choose guitar/bass. If you choose vocals on, then a mic is tied to your controller (plastic guitar). I also thought that there would be a way to choose which vocal part you sang i.e. lead, backing #1, backing #2.
    This. Some songs would only have one backing track or none at all, so you decide if you want to sing or not after you pick a song
  • C-Pr0mptC-Pr0mpt Rising Star
    edited April 2009
    You guys are getting your hopes up over this harmony stuff. I don't think it's gonna work out how you people are intending it to. When everything is said and done, I think you are still only going to be able to make 4 selections at a time. Rather that be a guitarist, drummer, bassist, and vocalist, or 3 vocalists and just a drummer.... You get my point.
    edited April 2009
    TheKitchenMan;2308594 said:
    This is what I was thinking as well. I posted it a few pages back I believe.
    HazyCloud;2308521 said:
    You didn't read my whole post, did you? What you just said in yours, I said in mine. To use the mic on your console, you need a controller plugged in. Thus causing the mic to take up one of controller slots. The mic does not work on any RB game without a controller.

I actually did read your whole post, but you said a guy was wrong, then contradicted yourself, so I was going to clarify. Yes I know you can't sing without a controller connected, but I've also sung using a headset plugged into the controller. The microphone itself is not special, it's the controller that makes you the vocalist.

If they plan to support 3-part harmonies, I'd bet money that they will have direct support for voxtar while only taking one controller slot. Whether that means a microphone plugged into the guitar, or some way of identifying which mic goes with which player remains to be seen, but I guarantee that 3-part harmony on vocals won't require 3 separate standard controllers.
    C-Pr0mpt;2309081 said:
    You guys are getting your hopes up over this harmony stuff. I don't think it's gonna work out how you people are intending it to. When everything is said and done, I think you are still only going to be able to make 4 selections at a time. Rather that be a guitarist, drummer, bassist, and vocalist, or 3 vocalists and just a drummer.... You get my point.
    I completely disagree. Direct support of voxtar (i.e. guitarist singing in the game) has been a heavily requested feature since RB1. I think they're taking the opportunity with the Beatles game to implement this. It shouldn't be hard to have a "Backup Vocals" menu in addition to the Bass/Guitar menu and Difficulty menu. It could look like:

Instrument:
    Bass
    Guitar
    <----choose one of these

Difficulty (Guitar/Bass)
    <----choose difficulty

Vocals:
    None
    Backup 1 (or John)
    Backup 2 (or George)
    <----choose one of these

if not "None" chosen:
    Difficulty (Vocals)
    <----choose difficulty
  • russintexasrussintexas Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    HazyCloud;2308190 said:
    Lips takes ZERO slots for the mic. The mic is not a controller. The mic is a mic. There is no one-to-one correspondence between mics and controllers.

It's all about how HMX chooses to present the interface; none of the supported platforms support less than 4 mics and 4 controllers simultaneously at the hardware level. (The wii supports 4 GC controllers, 4 wiimotes, and 4 mics simultaneously).
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    As somebody who loves singing all the various parts of Beatles songs when listening to them, I'm thrilled that we'll be getting the ability to sing harmonies in the game. This game just keeps getting better and better.

Now I need to make sure I have a couple of days off to play the game when it comes out. Have to schedule a visit to the family, as we are all hardcore Beatles fans.

Is it too early to start making Beatles Friends lists to play with online?
  • justin19954justin19954 Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    Rod_Stixx;2309885 said:
    As somebody who loves singing all the various parts of Beatles songs when listening to them, I'm thrilled that we'll be getting the ability to sing harmonies in the game. This game just keeps getting better and better.

Now I need to make sure I have a couple of days off to play the game when it comes out. Have to schedule a visit to the family, as we are all hardcore Beatles fans.

Is it too early to start making Beatles Friends lists to play with online?
    Lol it's never to early, but I wish my family was like yours. All my family listens to is Rap.:(
    edited April 2009
    C-Pr0mpt;2309081 said:
    Then what would be the point of including a mic stand in the special edition? And if the people who were doing the harmonies or backup vocals weren't playing an instrument at the same time, they would be very bored at times...
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    I'll happily be part of your Beatles family when the game comes out.

When I told my older brother (not a gamer, but liked playing RB when he gave it a shot) about the three-part harmonies feature and how he'd better start practicing, his response was:

"I've been practicing the Paul-is-dead era spoken parts you can hear when the record is played backwards. Anyone can say "turn me on dead man" forwards, but it's a little tricky to fit it into the forward playing track in reverse voice."
    edited April 2009
    Rod_Stixx;2310106 said:
    I'll happily be part of your Beatles family when the game comes out.

When I told my older brother (not a gamer, but liked playing RB when he gave it a shot) about the three-part harmonies feature and how he'd better start practicing, his response was:

"I've been practicing the Paul-is-dead era spoken parts you can hear when the record is played backwards. Anyone can say "turn me on dead man" forwards, but it's a little tricky to fit it into the forward playing track in reverse voice."
    "Turn me on dead man" backwards is just "Number nine" and vice versa...
    edited April 2009
    UneasyMonkey;2310194 said:
    Sort of... I saw a documentary on this about 15 years ago and the gentlemen spoke the words "number nine" into the reel-to-reel over and over, but when he replayed it backward, it was totally non-sensical.
    The key to the reversal is the British accent in which the original was spoken. Without the accent it was just garbled noise.
  • M1k3yBuddha32M1k3yBuddha32 Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    This is going to be an awesome experience, I'm sure of it. I was bummed when Guitar Hero got to release the inevitable Metallica-focused game, but felt it was more than a fair trade off when I learned that Rock Band was getting the Fab Four.

Would still love to see a few Beatles tunes show up as DLC for the other RB games though. Call me greedy.
  • M1k3yBuddha32M1k3yBuddha32 Unsigned
    edited April 2009
    UneasyMonkey;2310194 said:
    The "turn me on, dead man" bit actually appears on the White Album in between the tracks I'm so Tired and Blackbird" (or is it Blackbird and Piggies?), not during Revolution 9 like many people think. Played forward it simply sounds like English in reverse (and is at a very low volume) while backward it gives that creepy message.

Ironic that the Beatle presumed dead all those years ago is one of the two still living today, isn't it?
  • miche.csmiche.cs Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    M1k3yBuddha32;2310660 said:
    The "turn me on, dead man" bit actually appears on the White Album in between the tracks I'm so Tired and Blackbird" (or is it Blackbird and Piggies?), not during Revolution 9 like many people think. Played forward it simply sounds like English in reverse (and is at a very low volume) while backward it gives that creepy message.

Ironic that the Beatle presumed dead all those years ago is one of the two still living today, isn't it?
    It's not really ironic if you consider he's some sort of supernatural creature. Who are we to say he won't live forever;)
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited April 2009
    o1skinneej;2301476 said:
    This game should and MUST end with "The End/Her Majesty".

Those ripping hand-off guitar solos! The lyrics! What a great way to send people out of this game "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"!! (Perfect) Then rolls right in to the follow-up track. The beauty, humor, and simplicity of "Her Majesty" makes for the perfect ending.
    If they're going for a grand finale, I see "The End" as being the big finish, too. But I'd rather see it paired with "Golden Slumbers" as per the current vogue....they make a nice fit together.

Either that or finish up with "The Long And Winding Road"....that would be a fitting end as well.
  • o1skinneejo1skinneej Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    cherokeesam;2310817 said:
    If they're going for a grand finale, I see "The End" as being the big finish, too. But I'd rather see it paired with "Golden Slumbers" as per the current vogue....they make a nice fit together.

Either that or finish up with "The Long And Winding Road"....that would be a fitting end as well.
    People keep ragging on "Her Majesty", and I realize its just a quick 20 second bit but it really ends the album/song perfectly. It's so quirky and just comes out of the blue. I still think it's a good ending for the game, and if not, then should at least follow "The End".

I would be happy with "The Long and Winding Road", but happier with BOTH "The End/Her Majesty". :p
  • o1skinneejo1skinneej Road Warrior
    edited April 2009
    miche.cs;2310701 said:
    It's not really ironic if you consider he's some sort of supernatural creature. Who are we to say he won't live forever;)

After all, he was the Walrus(yes, I KNOW).....I could be the Walrus, but I'd still have to bum rides of my friends.
    edited April 2009
    UneasyMonkey;2310097 said:
    Then what would be the point of including a mic stand in the special edition? And if the people who were doing the harmonies or backup vocals weren't playing an instrument at the same time, they would be very bored at times...
    Many people find doing just normal vocals to be very boring at times. So what's your point?

The mic stand also doesn't mean anything either. Why doesn't it come with multiple mic stands for the harmony? Why does the special edition come with a bass controller? It's all information that's rather not relevant.

If you want a included product to help prove your point, let me know when the bundle includes a usb hub to support all of these items that will be used at the same time.
    edited April 2009
    iamtheddrman;2309238 said:
    I completely disagree. Direct support of voxtar (i.e. guitarist singing in the game) has been a heavily requested feature since RB1. I think they're taking the opportunity with the Beatles game to implement this. It shouldn't be hard to have a "Backup Vocals" menu in addition to the Bass/Guitar menu and Difficulty menu. It could look like:

Instrument:
    Bass
    Guitar
    <----choose one of these

Difficulty (Guitar/Bass)
    <----choose difficulty

Vocals:
    None
    Backup 1 (or John)
    Backup 2 (or George)
    <----choose one of these

if not "None" chosen:
    Difficulty (Vocals)
    <----choose difficulty</div>
    The official description itself reads, "...Featuring the ability to play drums, lead guitar, bass guitar or sing three part harmony with up to three microphones..." Personally I feel there is a huge difference between "or sing" and "and sing." That's just my opinion, I'm just going by the wording.

Just because it's a heavily requested feature doesn't mean anything. I'd also challenge your claim at "heavily." Besides, there are many "heavily" requested features that are still not in the game and some if not probably most that never will be. Rather it's requested or not means nothing. The actual outcome is what matters.
    edited April 2009
    o1skinneej;2310835 said:
    People keep ragging on "Her Majesty", and I realize its just a quick 20 second bit but it really ends the album/song perfectly. It's so quirky and just comes out of the blue. I still think it's a good ending for the game, and if not, then should at least follow "The End".

I would be happy with "The Long and Winding Road", but happier with BOTH "The End/Her Majesty". :p
    Yeah, but it's not part of The Medley, so if they put the whole Medley in as one track, Her Majesty shouldn't be part of it. It would be pretty cool/funny if it's right after the end credits after a few seconds of silence
    C-Pr0mpt;2310960 said:
    Many people find doing just normal vocals to be very boring at times. So what's your point?

The mic stand also doesn't mean anything either. Why doesn't it come with multiple mic stands for the harmony? Why does the special edition come with a bass controller? It's all information that's rather not relevant.

If you want a included product to help prove your point, let me know when the bundle includes a usb hub to support all of these items that will be used at the same time.
    But those people would be even MORE bored...

It doesn't come with multiple mic stands because that would that it even more expensive and not everyone's gonna use two. And it's not just a controller that can be used as a bass, it's just modeled after a bass. Lets see....out of the two Beatles still alive, one plays drums and the other.....umm.....what instrument did Paul McCartney play? Hmmm....I wonder....Plus, that bass is very iconic. It's probably the most iconic of all the instruments that any of the Beatles used.

A USB hub won't be needed because everything except the mics will be wireless. They may include one if for the Wii version and maybe the PS3 version for those poor saps who got a PS3 with just two USB slots. And maybe a USB hub is part of that unrevealed bonus content.
    edited April 2009
    C-Pr0mpt;2311000 said:
    The official description itself reads, "...Featuring the ability to play drums, lead guitar, bass guitar or sing three part harmony with up to three microphones..." Personally I feel there is a huge difference between "or sing" and "and sing." That's just my opinion, I'm just going by the wording.

Just because it's a heavily requested feature doesn't mean anything. I'd also challenge your claim at "heavily." Besides, there are many "heavily" requested features that are still not in the game and some if not probably most that never will be. Rather it's requested or not means nothing. The actual outcome is what matters.
    The difference between "and sing" and "or sing" would be that "AND" implies you do all of them at the same time. So the stupid consumer at Wal-mart would be like "It's too hard if I have to play 3 instruments and sing 3 parts at the same time!" From amazon.com, the Rock Band 2 marketing text says: "Take your band on an online-enabled World Tour mode, record albums, tackle the addictive Set Challenges, or even compete against other bands" Since it has "or" that must mean we can only choose to do one of those when we play, right? I realize you mean simultaneously, but I think you're placing to much stock in too small a word.

Chris Canfield has hinted over at Scorehero that they were working on voxtar along with several other requested features from the community for the next Rock Band installment. While that is by no means confirmed, I think it gives a little more weight to our arguments. The game will be out in just a little over 4 months though, and I expect we'll get a lot more news over the next month or so.