The Beatles: ROCK BAND - Rumors and Facts

Comments

• mugsmugs Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Droosies;1670970 said:
    This is just pure speculation on my part, but here's what I'm thinking could happen based on me reading "in between the lines" on the facts.

1.) The Beatles will have the game released in AC/DC Track Pack style Dec. 2009. By AC/DC-style I mean the songs will be able to be exported. I am basing this on: "This is not just a Rock Band expansion pack, it is much much more than that."

2.) The Beatles will not have any DLC on Rock Band apart from this game, just like AC/DC, but they will have a song released through Rock Band 3. I am basing this on "Reuters notes rather matter-of-factly that "none of the Fab Four's songs will be available for download on the existing Rock Band franchise."" Since Rock Band 3 does not exist at the moment, this would techincally be correct.

So that's just me trying to find loopholes in the logic that would get the Beatles music along with the rest of my 500+ songs on Rock Band.
    The fact is, this is not a Rock Band product.

While the Rock Band instruments will be supported in the Beatles game.

This is not a Rock Band product.

The Beatles songs will only be playable in the Beatles game.

I am also just another speculator. But knowing that Viacom/MTV/Harmonix have already spent millions just to get the Beatles to agree to have their music in their own title... I am sure that the Beatles would also demand more money for their music to be "importable" into other "Rock Band" titles.

Key Point:
    This is not a Rock Band title.
  • XSirPsychoSexyXXSirPsychoSexyX Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    All I can say is I'm glad they got ahold of this before Neversoft. They would of probably ruined this somehow.... Maybe making Metal songs out of the Beatles music........ God... Thank you Harmonix for getting this... All you need now is the Led and you are GODS
  • StrumbarStrumbar Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    honestly, its beatles only and its not rock band, so i could really not care. if they want me to buy it, they should probly allow song exporting. they can say it is "...much much more than that," but through the eyes of a gamer, it is not considering its gameplay will not be as deep.
  • Ramirez16Ramirez16 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Sayburr;1668387 said:
    There is no mention anywhere, but I would love to have a venue set up for the rooftop concert... I have a bootleg of that concert and think it would be very cool if the first official release of that material were on this new Harmonix game...
    That would be ****ing awesome
  • mugsmugs Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Honestly, there will be MOOOOOOOORRRRREEEEE than enough Beatles fans out there that just have to own this so to all of these

"make it exportable or I'm not buying" people don't really matter.

It won't be exportable, and it will sell out ACROSS THE WORLD!!!
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited December 2008
    mugs;1671122 said:
    The fact is, this is not a Rock Band product.

While the Rock Band instruments will be supported in the Beatles game.

This is not a Rock Band product.

The Beatles songs will only be playable in the Beatles game.

I am also just another speculator. But knowing that Viacom/MTV/Harmonix have already spent millions just to get the Beatles to agree to have their music in their own title... I am sure that the Beatles would also demand more money for their music to be "importable" into other "Rock Band" titles.

Key Point:
    This is not a Rock Band title.
    Actually, it is not a Rock Band BRANDED product is what they said in the interview.

Also, if you look closely, they also say that it's "Not JUST a Rock Band expansion" (Emphasis Mine), implying that it will also work as a Rock Band expansion pack.

I suspect that there will be a one time export code. However, I also think that there will be something more on the disc that will not come over during the export (i.e. an in depth career mode or something of that sort)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited December 2008
    I personally believe you are incorrect. I don't see Harmonix making a brand new game out of the Beatles tapes and then letting the songs transfer to Rock Band. They have said many times that this Beatles Project will not be part of the Rock Band platform.

If the Beatles game is not part of the Rock Band platform then the songs will not transfer over, simple as that.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    I'm inclined to agree with Droosies that the songs *will* be exportable to the RB series:

"This is not just a Rock Band expansion pack, it is much much more than that."

Key word, "just." If they'd wanted to say it's a completely separate standalone, they would've said "This is not a Rock Band expansion pack." The fact they included "just" indicates that it *is* a Rock Band expansion pack, with lots more added features.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Sayburr;1671429 said:
    I personally believe you are incorrect. I don't see Harmonix making a brand new game out of the Beatles tapes and then letting the songs transfer to Rock Band. They have said many times that this Beatles Project will not be part of the Rock Band platform.

If the Beatles game is not part of the Rock Band platform then the songs will not transfer over, simple as that.
    They have never said at any point that it won't be a part of the "Rock Band Platform", that has been forum members taking what was said and twisting it around again.

All they said that was, and I quote verbatim, "This is not JUST another Rock Band expansion". That "Just" in there seems to imply that it is an expansion for Rock Band, but it will also be so much more than that.

If it wasn't to be associated with Rock Band at all, then they would have said straight out "This is NOT a Rock Band title". See where the difference lies? The guys making these announcements are quite skilled in the art of PR, they know what words they are choosing.

Only time will tell though, all the conjecture in the world won't solve this right now. I'm still convinced that there will be an export code, but there will be much more on the disc. Maybe you'll have to go through the career mode to get the code? I don't know yet, we'll see.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    I think the "Beatles is separate" crowd are basing their theory off the way Neversoft handled Guitar Hero Aerosmith, which *is* a standalone game with none of the tracks importable.

But then, Neversoft won't let you transfer GH3 tracks to GHWT either, so they're, like, stupid an' stuff.

But yeah, for the umpteenth time: "This is not JUST a Rock Band expansion pack." Important distinction.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I believe they are trying to distinguish it from the AC/DC pack. Pulling the sentences apart grammatically, and trying to get anything from that process, is silly. The fact is that we don't know ANYTHING yet beyond what they have said. There is no reason to believe ANYTHING that forum members are extrapolating from these announcements. They'll tell us when they are ready.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited December 2008
    CONAN9845;1671496 said:
    I believe they are trying to distinguish it from the AC/DC pack. Pulling the sentences apart grammatically, and trying to get anything from that process, is silly. The fact is that we don't know ANYTHING yet beyond what they have said. There is no reason to believe ANYTHING that forum members are extrapolating from these announcements. They'll tell us when they are ready.
    Of course there isn't. We're all in the same boat in what we know. But there are educated guesses as to what to expect. With so little info available, of course we're going to start tearing sentences apart, it's what we do best.

Regardless, nothing is official until it is in black and white from a HMX employee
  • JordashebasicsJordashebasics Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    From that wishlist article-
    ""Penny Lane" is a melancholy tune with a catchy melody and creative instrumentation"

I never thought of it as melancholy. It always seemed pretty upbeat, although with a touch of mystery.

I have no suspicions as to if it would be exportable to RB. It's possible, but it doesn't seem to be worth speculating on yet.

I think I'd like the idea of it being a standalone game, and you'd have to beat it in order to earn the ability to export for RB.
  • kevmaster2000kevmaster2000 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I'll be disappointed if there aren't exportable Rock Band tracks, but my excitement will greatly overwhelm said disappointment. This is gonna be really great.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I have no doubt that this would sell well without being exportable. I also have no doubt that both HMX and The Beatles license holders know that it will sell at least a few more copies if it is exportable. The Beatles want a fair treatment of their music (which they are getting) and big enough sales to promote their product to a new audience (which they'd be more likely to get allowing export). Frankly, using logic, I see absolutely no benefit in preventing exportable tracks... especially because that is one area in which HMX has the clear edge on the competition. With the now infamous "just" in that sentence, it certainly seems like the door is at least still open for it.
    edited January 2009
    Added a trio of tid bits to first post:

The difference between RB and Beatles:
    "We really think about the Beatles game and Rock Band 3 as pretty different initiatives. Rock Band is pretty content agnostic. There's a certain type of neutrality that's needed to accommodate that versatility with tracks. In the case of the Beatles game it's not about that at all. The principals of the Beatles are involved with it; it's going to be a part of the Beatles' canon. It's an art object unto itself," Rigopulos said.

No RB3:
    Firstly, don't expect a new Rock Band this year. The company stressed that Rock Band 3 is not yet officially an announced product; Harmonix is taking a break from the annual release cycle for Rock Band. The reason? The company is focusing on the upcoming Beatles-focused Rock Band-style game. "We want to make this an art object," Rigopulos told me as we chatted after the panel.

About The Beatles as Playable Charaters:
    The game will also incorporate elements of their career, but neither MTV nor Apple Corps. would comment on whether or not Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, or John Lennon would be playable.
  • moneypmoneyp Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Sayburr;1778471 said:
    About The Beatles as Playable Charaters:
    The game will also incorporate elements of their career, but neither MTV nor Apple Corps. would comment on whether or not Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, or John Lennon would be playable.
    I'm hoping this is just a question of licensing. I mean, if you're going to blow it out and make it a whole new game, you need to have the Fab Four playing and singing their respective parts (with maybe some fudging on the tracks where individual Beatles recorded multiple instruments).
    edited January 2009
    moneyp;1778929 said:
    I'm hoping this is just a question of licensing. I mean, if you're going to blow it out and make it a whole new game, you need to have the Fab Four playing and singing their respective parts (with maybe some fudging on the tracks where individual Beatles recorded multiple instruments).
    While HMX would not comment on it, I would find it very hard to believe the Beatles would not be playable characters during sections where the RB controllers are being used.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    The game cannot be "experiential", and not include playing as them. You start out in Liverpool clubs, and end up at Abbey Road Studios. To me, that means BEING the Beatles. I cannot wait for this game.
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    In addition to Marty Bandier's previous claim that there will be a keyboard in the game, Th Escapist wrote up the following exchange at CES with Alex Rigopolous:

As for the need to include a keyboard in The Beatles game for songs like Yesterday "that has occurred to us."

Keyboard is far from confirmed, but it is certainly a persistent rumor.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I sense disappointment coming from this game.. I hope people don't get over-hyped about this game, just like with Halo 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and GH:WT.
  • HeadcaseHeadcase Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    itzJV;1779175 said:
    I sense disappointment coming from this game.. I hope people don't get over-hyped about this game, just like with Halo 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and GH:WT.
    Brawl's the best, shut your mouth :)

If we don't get a keyboard, I hope we at least get a key-tar (that uses the guitar controller but it defined as a different instrument, like bass is)
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Even though I doubt it will happen I hope that in the future the tracks would be exportable so after I have overplayed the game I can play it again on RB2
    I also, hope they have most of The White Album on their
    edited January 2009
    Fizzeler;1779961 said:

I also, hope they have most of The White Album on their
    Yeah, except for Revolution #9.... Speaking of Revolution, I hope its the single and not the album version. I like the hard rocking single version better.
  • elitemastersamelitemastersam Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Sayburr;1781515 said:
    Yeah, except for Revolution #9.... Speaking of Revolution, I hope its the single and not the album version. I like the hard rocking single version better.
    They would obviously use the electric version. And about the White Album, there is a handful of songs that wouldn't be so fun to play.
  • Naked_Without_ItNaked_Without_It Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    A Day in the Life better be on the game or I am going to take a Happiness is a Warm Gun and Let it Be. The doctors will need Help while they're Fixing a Hole.

No kidding, Two bands that I would buy individual games for. Beatles and Radiohead. I would have never expected either. Amazing how great Harmonix is. If they can get both titles out and get another year of DLC they are definitely going to win Developer of the Year and Best Soundtrack for a Video Game.
  • i_c_weineri_c_weiner Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    They better have harmony as a feature on the game. Every time I play a Nirvana song on Rock Band I notice Dave Grohl's harmonies and note how important they are to the songs. If they sound that important to me on a "lowly alternative rock song" (I personally do not prescribe to this belief and feel that Nirvana has some very Beatlesque elements to them, especially with harmonies), I wonder how they could go as far as to do a full Beatles game without using harmonies. I would love for A Day in the Life to feature the ability to have two singers.
  • baldassbatbaldassbat Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    i_c_weiner;1832144 said:
    They better have harmony as a feature on the game. Every time I play a Nirvana song on Rock Band I notice Dave Grohl's harmonies and note how important they are to the songs. If they sound that important to me on a "lowly alternative rock song" (I personally do not prescribe to this belief and feel that Nirvana has some very Beatlesque elements to them, especially with harmonies), I wonder how they could go as far as to do a full Beatles game without using harmonies. I would love for A Day in the Life to feature the ability to have two singers.
    This is a needed feature anyway. RB is limited to single singers and that takes out a lot of great duet songs. As one of those that actually liked the idea of introducing country songs I think duets would be a great addition. Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton did a lot of great songs together. Jackson with Johnny Cash and June Carter together would be another fine addition.

Frankly I wouldn't even mind having a backup singers option so some jazz and blues could be added and still do it justice.
    edited January 2009
    Paradise By the Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf would also benefit from this.