The Beatles: ROCK BAND - Rumors and Facts

Comments

• SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Being totally honest (I feel someone's going to stab me for this), I never really listened to The Beatles. I mean, I've heard some of their music, but never actually really listened to them. This is just like every band I currently love that I found in a music game, I feel the exact same thing is gonna happen here.
    Regardless, though I'm not as psyched as others (my girlfriend definitely included), I'm still pretty psyched, exportable or not.

And it definitely looks like Harmonix is doing a better job than Neversoft did with Aerosmith... "Steal GH3's engine, change the songs, and add Aerosmith characters" failed, IMO.
  • wlorcbwlorcb Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    I wonder if the art experience will consist of us as the band, looking OUT at the various venues, like the Cavern, Shea Stadium, the rooftop.

I also think that rather than having Beatles songs available to be exported to RB2 or 3, that RB songs and DLC would be exportable into the Beatles game. I also think that over time, new Beatles only DLC would be made available for use only in that game.

Have to agree that it would be great for this game(and also RB3) if we were able to choose between playing lead/bass or lead/rhythm or rhythm/bass so we can choose what we want to play the best(like the dueling leads in The End, or WMGGW).

Never mind a keybaord add-on, what we really want is mouth organ!
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    SonicRocker15X;1832669 said:

And it definitely looks like Harmonix is doing a better job than Neversoft did with Aerosmith... "Steal GH3's engine, change the songs, and add Aerosmith characters" failed, IMO.
    Why would you define GHAerosmith in such a manner? It was an *expansion* of the GH3 game. Using the GH3 model to create a band homage. They weren't "stealing" from themselves.

And yeah, like Sayburr said, I've got a feeling Beatles won't follow the same format. It will likely be based almost entirely on the RB model, right down to compatibility with RB instruments and (dare I say it? yes I do) songlists exportable to RB. But it will likely feature a "history lesson" in the form of videos, interviews, album covers, photo galleries and the like, and probably artwork reminiscent of the Beatles era (maybe even Heinz Edelmann's original art from Yellow Submarine, for instance).....but I doubt it would extend to in-game avatars and venues, like GHAerosmith and (presumably) GHMetallica.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    We'll probably play as John, Paul, George, and Ringo, but....

I wanna play as the 5th Beatle!

Brian Epstein, Derek Taylor, Neil Aspinall, George Martin, Tony Sheridan, Billy Preston, Jimmy Nicol, Wilfrid Brambell, Astrid Kirchherr, Jeff Lyne, Yoko Ono, Linda McCartney, Eric Clapton, Mahommed Ali, Stu Stutcliffe, Pete Best, fake Paul, Phil Spector, James Taylor, all of them!!!
  • wickedbadzwickedbadz Banned
    edited January 2009
    I really don't care what name they tag on the disc or what they claim, I've listened to the Beatles alot and I just don't see any fun in playing them on Rockband. Whens the last time you heard a Beatles song with some serious shredding going on? This disc if you ask me will be a waste of cash. It just goes to show how desperate Michael Jackson who owns the rights to the Beatles music really is for cash and Harmonix bit the hook cause Activision probably wouldn't.
    edited January 2009
    wickedbadz;1864385 said:
    I really don't care what name they tag on the disc or what they claim, I've listened to the Beatles alot and I just don't see any fun in playing them on Rockband. Whens the last time you heard a Beatles song with some serious shredding going on? This disc if you ask me will be a waste of cash. It just goes to show how desperate Michael Jackson who owns the rights to the Beatles music really is for cash and Harmonix bit the hook cause Activision probably wouldn't.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9KRpEkGfY
  • moneypmoneyp Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1864355 said:
    We'll probably play as John, Paul, George, and Ringo, but....

I wanna play as the 5th Beatle!

Brian Epstein, Derek Taylor, Neil Aspinall, George Martin, Tony Sheridan, Billy Preston, Jimmy Nicol, Wilfrid Brambell, Astrid Kirchherr, Jeff Lyne, Yoko Ono, Linda McCartney, Eric Clapton, Mahommed Ali, Stu Stutcliffe, Pete Best, fake Paul, Phil Spector, James Taylor, all of them!!!
    Don't forget Patti Harrison (handclaps and background vocals on "Birthday"), Maureen Starkey (exuberant cheering at the end of "Get Back") and Brian Jones (frequent guest of the lads at the studio and uncredited alto sax on "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)").

I kind of want to play as the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi myself. :)
  • MBarryCMBarryC Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    SonicRocker15X;1832669 said:
    Being totally honest (I feel someone's going to stab me for this), I never really listened to The Beatles. I mean, I've heard some of their music, but never actually really listened to them. This is just like every band I currently love that I found in a music game, I feel the exact same thing is gonna happen here.
    Regardless, though I'm not as psyched as others (my girlfriend definitely included), I'm still pretty psyched, exportable or not.

Steal? GH3 was their engine to begin with. Are you going to say Guitar Hero: Metallica stole World Tour's engine?
  • moneypmoneyp Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    rockbandfan23467;1864387 said:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9krpekgfy
    "i've got blisters on my fingers!!!"
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    "This is not just a Rock Band expansion pack, it is much much more than that."

Ahem... To me, this says...

"This is not merely a Rock Band expansion pack, it is much much more than that."

Which means, This isn't a Rock Band expansion pack, it's much more than that.

"Rock Band is not just Guitar Hero with drums, it is much much more than that."

So does that mean that Rock Band is still Guitar Hero?
  • HysteriaHysteria Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    MBarryC;1864403 said:
    Steal? GH3 was their engine to begin with. Are you going to say Guitar Hero: Metallica stole World Tour's engine?
    I think you missed his point. GH:A is just modified verion of GH3. The Beatles game appears to be built from the ground up, not just RB2 with Beatles characters. And I'd bet GH:M will be GHWT with Metallica characters plus a few small modifications/additions. HMX wants The Beatles game to be a different experience where as Neversoft tries to pump out as many games as they can, as fast as then can so they use the same game engine for a year or two. Just different approaches and different company goals.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited January 2009
    This thread should be stickied.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited January 2009
    Hysteria;1865295 said:
    I think you missed his point.
    I agree, from what I have read... and included in the first post of this thread... it seems the game will be a brand new experience that utilizes the instruments from RB/GH. So, its not the Rock Band engine with Beatles characters and backgrounds...
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    As long as they have The White Album, and Sgt Pepper's tracks it is a buy for me
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Sayburr;1865324 said:
    I agree, from what I have read... and included in the first post of this thread... it seems the game will be a brand new experience that utilizes the instruments from RB/GH. So, its not the Rock Band engine with Beatles characters and backgrounds...
    I would find it at the very least questionable if it DIDN'T use the Rock Band engine. For the gameplay part, of course. Tweekings would be necessary, but I can't see why the game engine, that's no less than magnificent, shouldn't be used.
  • Fender_178Fender_178 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Well one of my favorite Beatles song is Why My Guitar Gently Weeps. Also this song also Includes Eric Clapton (He was about 17 or 18 at that time) playing the solo stuff. I think the addition of the keyboard will be awesome because if they have a section similar to the way the drums activate overdrive or the rock ending you can mimic what John Lennon did at the concert at Shea Stadium where he played with his elbows or something along those lines. Which would be neat. I wonder if the keyboard is going to be limited to some of the songs in which involve a Piano such as Hey Jude.
    edited January 2009
    If they did add keyboards then what will happen to band quick play because you can only have 4 controllers in at one time unless they removed an instrument it would not work
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited January 2009
    Fizzeler;1865371 said:
    If they did add keyboards then what will happen to band quick play because you can only have 4 controllers in at one time unless they removed an instrument it would not work
    I will never understand this argument that people make. So what if there are 5 instruments? You can only have 4 controllers connected at a time (on 360/Wii, 7 on PS3) so the game would let you select the 4 instruments that you currently have connected to the console. They already block out vocals on YYZ and Caprici, so why couldn't they block out "Keyboard" if there is no keyboard connected?

At any rate, keyboard is only a rumor, so it's all speculation anyway
    edited January 2009
    Game will take from the Beatles' first album "Please Please Me" all the way to "Abbey Road." And will be based on the UK releases.
    Why UK? and what about Let It Be?
    edited January 2009
    iamtheddrman;1867882 said:
    I will never understand this argument that people make. So what if there are 5 instruments? You can only have 4 controllers connected at a time (on 360/Wii, 7 on PS3) so the game would let you select the 4 instruments that you currently have connected to the console. They already block out vocals on YYZ and Caprici, so why couldn't they block out "Keyboard" if there is no keyboard connected?

At any rate, keyboard is only a rumor, so it's all speculation anyway
    I would still love a Keyboard my only main concern is only having 4 controller slots (for BQ at home) I would personally love to play a Keyboard and they would not have to chart it for every song they could exclude it for certain songs
  • Legion37Legion37 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Fizzeler;1868537 said:
    I would still love a Keyboard my only main concern is only having 4 controller slots (for BQ at home) I would personally love to play a Keyboard and they would not have to chart it for every song they could exclude it for certain songs
    Honestly to fix this is just have it where you need to system link or play online, then you can have a 4 on 1 tv, 1 on 1 tv, or split it up as you wish. Only thing would be everyone sees their icons incase someone needs help with overdrive or get the sound that alerts you to bring them back.

This would eliminate the space needed for the extra insturments, and if they want to do the dual vocals without it being in a single bar and color coded (ala SingStar) then singers can have they're own bars for duets

I honestly think they should just keep the traditional set up...Keyboard is gonna be wierd and how many keys do you put on it before its underwhelming or overwhelming to the casual player
  • Stones_ClashStones_Clash Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    well, for me, this game will be hit or miss. i definitely like the beatles, so theres a plus right there. it also seems like this will be a much more complete package that will feel more dedicated to the respective band than the bare bones AC/DC live track pack. however, there are two things that bother me.

the first is that i dont really see this shouldnt be considered a rock band game. harmonix has stated that the gameplay will be similar (for all intents and purposes, i think its safe to assume that this means the same, after all, its a music game, how different could it be?), and it focuses heavily on a specific band. this in turn limits its appeal because for every person out there who loves the beatles, theres sure to be somebody who doesnt. however, the rock band brand has already gained recognition, so why change the name to something else? if it aint broke, dont fix/change it.

finally, my last concern is whether all these beatles tracks will be transferable to rock band. harmonix has stated time and time again that it views rock band as a platform, so to me, it would seem logical, and expected that that would be the same case here.

if all the tracks in the game are transferable, you can count me in on a purchase. if not however, im afraid that i might have to pass on this one...
  • KozmicRiffKozmicRiff Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    wickedbadz;1864385 said:
    This is crazy talk, The Beatles are going to be so much fun to play is simply ridiculous ..... and they shred plenty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgkiEiRjBfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8DVI5Cc1s0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87yq372R4Ts
    edited January 2009
    Again:

Game will take from the Beatles' first album "Please Please Me" all the way to "Abbey Road." And will be based on the UK releases.
  • hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1869755 said:
    Again:

Because the UK releases usually came out first. And Let It Be was recorded before Abbey Road, but released after. Abbey Road was the last album they recorded in the studio.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited February 2009
    Just added this to the first post:

Added 2/6/2009 - It looks like the game will have distinct stages based on the career of the Beatles. In an interview with McCartney he stated the following “[Harmonix said] "We’d like to do just a special Beatles edition, we’d like to do different periods -- you know, you get early days, Liverpool, then psychedelic, and on from there." It’s very cool.” Thanks to p34ch for finding this information. – Link
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    iamtheddrman;1867882 said:
    Exactly.

And it's not like The Beatles were ever a 5-man band. You play EITHER keyboards, OR something else like Bass.....just like Paul did.

A keyboard peripheral *would* be a cool add to the game, but I won't hold my breath for it.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited February 2009
    cherokeesam;1921174 said:
    Exactly.

And it's not like The Beatles were ever a 5-man band. You play EITHER keyboards, OR something else like Bass.....just like Paul did.

A keyboard peripheral *would* be a cool add to the game, but I won't hold my breath for it.
    Yeah, I'm certainly not holding my breath either. I'd like to see it make it eventually, but keyboard would require a very large number of keys to be challenging, which might make it inaccessible to beginners (unless they do like guitar and step up the number of buttons based on difficulty). At any rate, I think HMX is gonna do this game right, and it'll be worth renting even if you don't like the Beatles all that much.
  • Drfirewater RB2Drfirewater RB2 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I am disappointed hearing this for two reasons

1. this means that its possible that we will have to buy all new perperials like new drums and guitars cause nothing works together (look at GH and RB crossover problems)

2. Different disk and seperate game means the songs wont be crossed over so you will have to swap out disks ... this means no beatles at my rock band parties and if i cant play with my friends with out being forced to only play one band ... chances i will sadly miss out on this large waste of money if they are not transferable.

I LOVE THE BEATLES AND RB

and i think that if the songs are not transferable to rb2 then this project is gonna bomb.

ps. I play keybord and i can tell you there is no way to intelligently do a keybord in a rock band type game without it being near if not completly impossible for anyone who doent already read music and play the piano.
  • BruceDickinsonBruceDickinson Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I doubt it will bomb. It will probably do just fine even without transferability.