Battle of the Underrated Guitarists: #31 FINALE! Billy Gibbons vs Frank Zappa

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited November 2008 in History of Rock
THIS IS IT! The final, winner take all! Gibbons vs Zappa!
They had to make it through Alvin Lee, Roy Buchanan, Johnny Winter, Prince, Neal Schon, Robert Fripp, Nancy Wilson, and Rick Nielsen.

This is the final showdown!

[CENTER]BILLY GIBBONS[/CENTER]
wikipedia said:
William Frederick (Billy) Gibbons (born December 16, 1949), nicknamed the Reverend Willie G, is best known as the guitarist for ZZ Top. He is also the lead vocalist and composer for many of the band's classic songs. A Houston native, Gibbons is known for playing a classic 1959 Gibson Les Paul guitar he calls Miss Pearly Gates. He is known to play his guitar using a quarter or a peso as a pick, lending a distinctive sound to his playing.
Joe Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhzn2iVptA

Sharp Dressed Man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW_QCRGvT-g

Blue Jean Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LlxRX8fgsU

vs

[CENTER]FRANK ZAPPA[/CENTER]
wikipedia said:
Frank Vincent Zappa[1] (December 21, 1940 – December 4, 1993) was an American composer, electric guitarist, and film director. In a career spanning more than 30 years, Zappa worked in various musical genres, and wrote for rock bands, jazz ensembles, synthesizers, symphony orchestra, and created musique concrète works. He also worked on feature-length films, music videos, and album covers. Zappa produced almost all of the more than 60 albums he released with the band Mothers of Invention and as a solo artist.

Zappa's major commercial successes, especially within his native United States, were few. He received multiple Grammy nominations and won the Best Rock Instrumental Performance in 1987 for the album Jazz from Hell.[2] Zappa was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997. In 2005, his album with the Mothers of Invention, We're Only in It for the Money (1968), was included in the National Recording Registry of the US National Recording Preservation Board. The same year, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him 71st in its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[3] In 2007 his birthplace, Baltimore, declared August 9 official "Frank Zappa Day" in his honor.[4]

Politically, Zappa was a self-proclaimed "practical conservative".[5] He was a strident critic of mainstream education and organized religion,[6] and a forthright and passionate advocate for freedom of speech and the abolition of censorship. His work embodied his skeptical view of established political processes and structures.[7] Zappa strongly opposed recreational drug use, although the use of drugs was common among musicians.[8]

Zappa was married to Kathryn J. "Kay" Sherman from 1960 to 1964 (no children), and in 1967, to Adelaide Gail Sloatman, with whom he remained until his death. They had four children: Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Emuukha Rodan and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen. Gail Zappa manages the businesses of her late husband, now arranged as a trust under the name the Zappa Family Trust.
Peaches En Regalia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnZrbFL9ImM

Wowie Zowie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ziU-hj3EGI&feature=related

Montana:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJN_uWaVRfo

PLEASE LISTEN BEFORE YOU VOTE!

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    definitely zappa.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    Dude. Gibbons. The man plays with a peso, A PESO!!!!

Frank does have that sweet stach' though.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited October 2008
    Shredder87;1512548 said:
    Dude. Gibbons. The man plays with a peso, A PESO!!!!

Frank does have that sweet stach' though.
    not always, sometimes he plays with a quarter
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited October 2008
    Zappa blows Gibbons away.

EDIT: Accidentally voted Gibons
    edited October 2008
    back_blows;1512646 said:
    Zappa blows Gibbons away.

EDIT: Accidentally voted Gibons
    will be noted in the final tallying
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited October 2008
    a21schizoidman;1512639 said:
    not always, sometimes he plays with a quarter
    Have you held a peso? Things are damn slippery.

IT'S HARD TO SQUEAL WITH A COIN!!!!
    edited October 2008
    Shredder87;1512685 said:
    Have you held a peso? Things are damn slippery.

IT'S HARD TO SQUEAL WITH A COIN!!!!
    ive seen Gibbons live, lol
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Frank hands down. Again nothing against Billy, great blusey player, but Frank's the better player by far.

As an aside I'm still shocked that somehow Billy bested Prince in the poll. Really thought it was coming down to Zappa and Prince. Just for the record, I would have voted Prince in that one.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    AxlVanHagar;1513541 said:
    Frank hands down. Again nothing against Billy, great blusey player, but Frank's the better player by far.

As an aside I'm still shocked that somehow Billy bested Prince in the poll. Really thought it was coming down to Zappa and Prince. Just for the record, I would have voted Prince in that one.
    I'm with you there, Axl, on all three counts-- Billy beat Prince? :eek: Prince vs. Frank -- Prince. Frank vs. Billy -- Frank.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Im wondering hwo Steve howe, Steve hakett, and terry kath lost
  • FourstringOrionFourstringOrion Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    I love Zappa as much as the next guy but I had to go with one of my earliest influences on guitar: Billy Gibbons.

+ alot of times he plays WITH A FREAKING COIN!
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited November 2008
    Sorry for my late arrival, but I maintain that Frank Zappa was the greatest musician to ever walk this earth.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    FourstringOrion;1513897 said:
    I love Zappa as much as the next guy but I had to go with one of my earliest influences on guitar: Billy Gibbons.

+ alot of times he plays WITH A FREAKING COIN!
    I've known 3 guitarists and 2 teachers that use coins as picks.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    AxlVanHagar;1513541 said:

I may be shot for this, but I've never really been a fan of Prince.

I'm voting Zappa, although I do like Gibbons.
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Zappa undoubtably, gibbons is a great guitarist, but imo all zz top has the same sound to it, just blues riffs from years gone by. Not nearly as original as zappa, or as technical.
  • smokeverbssmokeverbs Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Zappa all goshdarn day! Man, I just realized that in about a month, he will have been gone 15 years from us. :(
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I gotta go with Zappa.
    But honestly, Steve Howe should've won this.