What were the last movies you watched?

jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
edited December 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Thought this would be a good idea. Basically tell us what movies you saw recently AND what you thought about them. Could be something you saw on TV/DVD or in the Movies. Anything~ I watch lots of movies so I will post here a lot :)

Last film I saw was Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007). Very good crime drama/thriller from Sidney Lumet (Dog Day Afternoon). Two brothers who are in need of money for different reasons decide to rob a jewelery store. There's a twist though, which I won't mention ... :D

Before that, I saw The Defiant Ones (1958), starring Sidney Poitier. I enjoy watching old movies. Really liked this one, it was a great drama about two prisoners, one black one white, who are chained together and have to help each other when they find themselves free from their captors.

Comments

  • edited November 2008
    trident5;1527013 said:
    saw "Don't mess with the Zohan", which just killed me. 9/10
    I know humor is a subjective thing, but what exactly did you like about it? I saw it for work and I can't remember laughing even once.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Der_Lex;1527084 said:
    I know humor is a subjective thing, but what exactly did you like about it? I saw it for work and I can't remember laughing even once.
    Yeah, Zohan is another one of those comedies that are essentially painless yet wholly devoid of belly laughs. For recent comedies, last month's Sex Drive was infinitely funnier.
  • edited November 2008
    culturedog;1527223 said:
    Yeah, Zohan is another one of those comedies that are essentially painless yet wholly devoid of belly laughs. For recent comedies, last month's Sex Drive was infinitely funnier.
    Tropic Thunder only came out recently over here. Now that was a movie that gave me a lot of belly laughs.
  • HellKatzXHellKatzX Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    I watched Tropic Thunder a couple nights ago, hilarious I really liked it.

    Last night I watched Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, also a good movie if nothing else Marissa Tomei is SMOKIN in it, she alone makes it worth watching.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Der_Lex;1527256 said:
    Tropic Thunder only came out recently over here. Now that was a movie that gave me a lot of belly laughs.
    Yeah, that was a winner. Ben Stiller's actually a decent director too - it looked way better than most comedies. And man, the smartest thing Tom Cruise has done in a long while was taking a role in that film.

    Other summer comedies I liked were Pineapple Express (though it's a mix of comedy and action) and the incredibly stupid yet undeniably hilarious Step Brothers (though folks who hate Will Ferrell will probably not be swayed by it).
  • JACKAL557JACKAL557 Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    beverly hills chihuahua..... i got draged along so i could drive.....ok movie tho
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    JACKAL557;1527431 said:
    beverly hills chihuahua..... i got draged along so i could drive.....ok movie tho
    Yeah, it helped that they used real dogs instead of all-CGI atrocities like the Scooby Doo flicks.
  • JACKAL557JACKAL557 Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1527458 said:
    Yeah, it helped that they used real dogs instead of all-CGI atrocities like the Scooby Doo flicks.
    ya , thought it was going to be horrible but not a bad movie at all
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    JACKAL557;1527431 said:
    beverly hills chihuahua..... i got draged along so i could drive.....ok movie tho
    My Spanish teacher got our class to see that because of the Spanish locations/references and such in the film. The tickets weren't free (I think the snacks were) but I didn't go. There was no way I was gonna spend $9 on it. (Though he did get us free tickets to see Quantum of Solace on the 19th, once again because parts of it take place in Spanish speaking countries :D )
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    jayou521;1533058 said:
    Though he did get us free tickets to see Quantum of Solace on the 19th, once again because parts of it take place in Spanish speaking countries :D
    Now THAT'S an awesome teacher! If only I could have counted my 007 film experiences as part of my education...
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    i rewatched the outsiders last night... good movie.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Stay gold, Pony Boy!
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited November 2008
    Dark Knight finally made it to the cheap seats here. I can't wait to go see it a second time :)
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Forgot that I watched the theatrical cut of Ghost Rider last night - what a freakin' sloppy stinker that was! Horrible dialogue, weird, affected acting, annoying camerawork, dodgy special effects. What's not to like? Oh, yeah - everything!
  • JACKAL557JACKAL557 Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    i thought death race was a good movie, fast cars with guns attached to them YAY!, think im gonna go see it again
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Death Race was total b-movie exploitation cheese! Which means I loved it! Jason Statham is the man!
  • JACKAL557JACKAL557 Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1535022 said:
    Death Race was total b-movie exploitation cheese! Which means I loved it! Jason Statham is the man!
    ya ive enjoyed pretty much every movie ive seen him in, War an death race two of my all time fav with him
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    JACKAL557;1535043 said:
    ya ive enjoyed pretty much every movie ive seen him in, War an death race two of my all time fav with him
    Crank is teh awesomnez~ I can't wait for Crank: High Voltage~ really wanna know how they pull it off
  • rocketmanpwnsrocketmanpwns Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Went to see the new james bond film last night and wasn't very impressed.
  • JACKAL557JACKAL557 Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    jayou521;1535074 said:
    Crank is teh awesomnez~ I can't wait for Crank: High Voltage~ really wanna know how they pull it off
    i found crank to be more of a comedy for me lol ,still was awesome tho
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    jayou521;1535074 said:
    Crank is teh awesomnez~ I can't wait for Crank: High Voltage~ really wanna know how they pull it off
    Yeah, it sounds more like a remake than a sequel. I don't care if they pull out something that doesn't make sense - as long as the flick is as kick ass as the first!

    Transporter 3 coming out in a few weeks, too! More Frank Martin action!
  • baldassbatbaldassbat Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Watched Donnie Darko again on Halloween. Man that movie is F'ed up. I missed the beginning this time though. I remember I needed it to make sense the first time and even that was a shaky kind of sense.

    Also saw Dark Knight when it first came out. Runs a little long but very good. Got a BT of Iron Man and re-watched it the other day. Such a great movie and doesn't need the "for a comic-book movie" caveat. Only problem was the version I got has the Farsi subtitles in German. I don't speak Farsi or read German so I don't actually remember what the hell they were saying. Considering those phrases are usually followed by guns I think I get the gist...
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    baldassbat;1535127 said:
    Watched Donnie Darko again on Halloween. Man that movie is F'ed up. I missed the beginning this time though. I remember I needed it to make sense the first time and even that was a shaky kind of sense.
    As awesome as Donnie Darko is, it is a dense film and Richard Kelly grew so familiar with his invented mythology that he forgot to express it to the audience. He kinda sloppily rectified it with the Director's Cut, but then people complain that it's too in your face.

    But yeah - it only made a sort of emotional sense to me at first. Without the supplemental materials on the DVD, there's no freakin' way I would have figured out all the subtext about "The Manipulated Living", "The Manipulated Dead" and all that sh*te.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1535176 said:
    As awesome as Donnie Darko is, it is a dense film and Richard Kelly grew so familiar with his invented mythology that he forgot to express it to the audience. He kinda sloppily rectified it with the Director's Cut, but then people complain that it's too in your face.

    But yeah - it only made a sort of emotional sense to me at first. Without the supplemental materials on the DVD, there's no freakin' way I would have figured out all the subtext about "The Manipulated Living", "The Manipulated Dead" and all that sh*te.
    LOVE me some Donnie Darko action. I was lucky in that the first version I watched was the Director's Cut. After watching the original version, I can totally see why a lot of people bash on it.

    As embarrassed as I am to say it, I even liked Southland Tales. There is ZERO reason why I should like this movie. I genuinely hate a majority of the main actors (Dwayne Johnson, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Timberlake, Seann William Scott), but for some reason, Kelly pulled it all together in his own special f'd up way. As I was watching it, I was thinking "Ok, this is just too weird, even for me." But then when Timberlake did the Killers - "All These Things" segment, something just clicked for me and I got it. I even wore a similar blood stained shirt for halloween last year, but nobody got the reference, just thought I was bloody.
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited November 2008
    I hate the Directors cut. It is like hey here is everything with no subtext. Donnie Darko is in my top 3 favorite movies of all time. I also did all the website stuff and bought the script, so I had a lot of info. I think the beauty of the movie is that it is left open to interpretation.
  • edited November 2008
    I actually don't like the director's cut of Donnie Darko. I like the way things were left open for speculation in the original version. In comparison, the director's cut took you by the hand and pointed out the story for you, and I'm not too fond of that. I don't need 'closure' in a movie, I'm fine with a lot of it being left t my own interpretation (one of the reasons why I loved The Fountain).
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    For me neither cut of the great double-D is perfect. The original is a bit too subtle and fails to get across certain ideas that Kelly clearly wanted the viewer to know. And the Director's Cut just awkwardly inserted an overload of information without much grace. I do like plenty of the added scenes, though - so I'll watch either version at the drop of a hat.

    And The Fountain is the shiznit!
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Random movie thought, but at work I just called a client named Pete, and all I could think about was Simon Pegg staring up a staircase saying "Peeeeete?".

    That is all.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    "It's not hip-hop. It's ELECTRO!"
  • EerifEerif Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Watched Braindead (Dead Alive) on halloween, but the last movie I watched was either Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) or Desperado.
Sign In or Register to comment.