What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I know a guy with an insane collection (he has around 20,000 DVDs and just about every HD-DVD and Blu-Ray pressed), and he uses something similar except you can scan them in with a barcode reader to make things easy. I might have to do something like that.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Eerif;1566010 said:
    It would take too long to log each and every one!
    You don't really "log" them in. It's mainly you go to the site, type in the name of your dvd, then click "Add to Owned". That's it. The website provides all the details about directors, boxart, etc.

Granted, I am a total database nerd and pretty much anything in my life from sports to videogames to my collectables I have a spreadsheet or Access database for, so for me it's totally worth the time.
    edited November 2008
    sweet-t310;1566077 said:
    You don't really "log" them in. It's mainly you go to the site, type in the name of your dvd, then click "Add to Owned". That's it. The website provides all the details about directors, boxart, etc.
    Cool! That sounds pretty user friendly! I'll give it a shot!
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1566052 said:
    I know a guy with an insane collection (he has around 20,000 DVDs and just about every HD-DVD and Blu-Ray pressed), and he uses something similar except you can scan them in with a barcode reader to make things easy. I might have to do something like that.
    You mean this guy:
    http://www.collectorz.com/movie/flic_barcode_scanner.php
  • EerifEerif Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    That barcode scanner is nuts. I'm a bit too cheap to go out and buy something hardcore like that, but I'm definitely considering cataloging my movies.

I read up on the IMDB recently that MGM was planning on offering it's older movies (save for the popular ones of course) online, which is a very interesting change. I'm all for the move to online distribution, for me, ease of obtainment is greater than the quality difference between streaming divx and bluray.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    jayou521;1564868 said:
    Awesome! Hope you'll tell us about lots of good movies :D

I just finished watching Inside Man~ it was really interesting. Different from most bank job movies I've seen, which was a plus. I also saw Kung Fu Hustle over the weekend, that was just awesome. Lots of cool fights
    You know I will!

Inside Man was just badass, as are most Spike Lee joints.

Kung Fu Hustle is all sorts of amazing. I actually stumbled upon Shaolin Soccer on DVD before Kung Fu Hustle was made, so I got to enjoy it in theaters, as I was already a huge Stephen Chow fan. It was a riot.
    sweet-t310;1565858 said:
    If your DVD collection is that high, hopefully you participate in DVD Aficionado?

Great way to manage your movies in a digital sense. For instance:
    http://sweett310.dvdaf.com/owned
    Naturally. I'm even a Supporting Member. That site is amazing. :cool:

http://pmpboarder.dvdaf.com/owned

Note: I'm not proud of all of those DVDs. Some I bought on a whim, some were just really cheap, and some were included in a two-pack (*cough* Cruel Intentions 2 *cough*), but I have more than enough to redeem anything you may find a bit ridiculous. (Citizen Kane, anyone? :cool:)

That said, I have a very eclectic taste in movies, so you're in for a very unexpected collection of discs.
    culturedog;1565947 said:
    Y'know, I should really do something like this. I've got around 1,500 or so DVDs and Blu-Rays dominating my living room without leashes. Someday I gotta tame this collection!

EDIT: Nice collection by the way! I've got 103 of those same titles, so I know you've got good taste in flicks!
    Wow. 1,500? *bows*
    sweet-t310;1566090 said:
    I have that! :D My brother-in-law got it for me last Christmas. It's really cool, but I had already kept up-to-date with my DVDs using DVDAF. I did, however, scan them all and upload them into the included software, which is very cool. However, I still prefer DVDAF.
    edited November 2008
    Phew! You crazy bastids got me hooked on sorting my DVDs, and now my fingers hurt!

I was suprised at how extensive their library is, as there were only a small number of discs I could not find matches for. And by using boxed sets and other options I was able to slim my collection down to a manageable 984 titles!

http://culturedog.dvdaf.com/owned
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited November 2008
    Pineapple Express . . . gah

I don't think I was using the proper substance to make that movie funny.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited November 2008
    Caught "The Foot Fist Way" the other night. WAY better than I expected.
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1570527 said:
    Phew! You crazy bastids got me hooked on sorting my DVDs, and now my fingers hurt!

I was suprised at how extensive their library is, as there were only a small number of discs I could not find matches for. And by using boxed sets and other options I was able to slim my collection down to a manageable 984 titles!

Did you really manage to get all 984 in 24 hours??
    edited November 2008
    Last night I watched that killer crocodile movie Primeval. I remember being pissed off at the ad campaign, since it kept trying to promote the movie as a thriller about a serial killer named Gustave while hiding the whole croc angle.

So last night it was on free cable and I decided to check it out. Pretty much what I expected, though it was surprisingly more capable than stuff like Anaconda and its sequel. I also wasn't expecting the whole political part of it, as half of the movie felt more like Blood Diamond than a horror flick. But man did Orlando Jones have to utter some horrible lines. Cringetastic!
    edited November 2008
    sweet-t310;1570607 said:
    Did you really manage to get all 984 in 24 hours??
    Yup! But I think I've got carpal tunnel syndrome now! :D
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    i watched "control" last night so i'm depressed.
    edited November 2008
    afterstasis;1570634 said:
    i watched "control" last night so i'm depressed.
    Love will tear you apart...
  • edited November 2008
    I finally saw Wall-E on Monday, and loved it. I saw Quantum of Solace yesterday and thought it was rather meh (more extensive opinion in 'greatest Bond film' thread).
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1570527 said:

That's just awesome. The one thing that site is missing is a friends list. I'd love to "add you" but all I can really do is bookmark your page.

^ That is a lie. There IS a friends feature! I just never check the part of the website where it's accessible! /idiot

A friends list could tell you when your friends add new movies and would be awesome. But, taken for what it is, that site already offers more than it should for being free. I recognize that, which is why I donated to them. :cool:
    edited November 2008
    Der_Lex;1570647 said:
    I finally saw Wall-E on Monday, and loved it. I saw Quantum of Solace yesterday and thought it was rather meh (more extensive opinion in 'greatest Bond film' thread).
    Best moment in Wall-E:

At the beginning, when he brings a spork back to his house. He has a cup of spoons and a cup of forks, and can't decide which one he should place the spork. So he sets it between them! I was dying. :D

The rest of the movie was phenomenal as well. I can't wait to get that on Blu-ray.

I love Pixar so freaking hard!
    edited November 2008
    pmpboarder;1570660 said:
    That's just awesome. The one thing that site is missing is a friends list. I'd love to "add you" but all I can really do is bookmark your page.

A friends list could tell you when your friends add new movies and would be awesome. But, taken for what it is, that site already offers more than it should for being free. I recognize that, which is why I donated to them. :cool:
    That is a cool idea! Maybe they'll implement a friends list someday!

BTW, I forgot to add the fine print that if any title on my list looks uncool or embarassing, it's automatically because my woman bought it against my will! :D
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1570705 said:
    That is a cool idea! Maybe they'll implement a friends list someday!

BTW, I forgot to add the fine print that if any title on my list looks uncool or embarassing, it's automatically because my woman bought it against my will! :D
    Fine print noted. :p

One cool thing is that when you're logged in and viewing someone else's collection, it does tell you if you own it.

Just getting 1000 titles in 24 hours is beyond impressive, but you can also split it up into folders. For instance, I have a separate folder (+ subfolders) for all of my Blu-rays, HD DVDs and DVDs.

I'm not saying "Do it now!" or even that you have to do it at all, but I like having my list mirror what my shelves look like. :cool:

Here's mine, so you can see what I mean:

edited November 2008
    pmpboarder;1570740 said:
    Fine print noted. :p

One cool thing is that when you're logged in and viewing someone else's collection, it does tell you if you own it.

Just getting 1000 titles in 24 hours is beyond impressive, but you can also split it up into folders. For instance, I have a separate folder (+ subfolders) for all of my Blu-rays, HD DVDs and DVDs.

I'm not saying "Do it now!" or even that you have to do it at all, but I like having my list mirror what my shelves look like. :cool:

Here's mine, so you can see what I mean:

Good call! I'd definitely like to at least split up my DVDs and my Blu-rays for starters.
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1570788 said:
    Good call! I'd definitely like to at least split up my DVDs and my Blu-rays for starters.
    Awesome. While you're at it, I was wrong when I said there's no friends feature. I just never visit the part of that site where it's accessible! Check here and you should have an invite from me pending. :cool:

http://culturedog.dvdaf.com/

(It's the same URL, but without the "/owned". It's more or less the "homepage" for the site. I always set my homepage to the "/owned" URL.)
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1570705 said:
    Riiiiiight, sure it is big guy! Haha.

Found the friends feature and just sent you and pmpboarder friend requests!

To send requests, you have to be on someone elses "profile page" (culturedog.dvdaf.com) and hit "Invite this person in my network of friends".

Don't know exactly what all it does, but hey, at least we found it!
    edited November 2008
    pmpboarder;1570808 said:
    Awesome. While you're at it, I was wrong when I said there's no friends feature. I just never visit the part of that site where it's accessible! Check here and you should have an invite from me pending. :cool:

http://culturedog.dvdaf.com/

(It's the same URL, but without the "/owned". It's more or less the "homepage" for the site. I always set my homepage to the "/owned" URL.)
    Haha...ninja'd. Damn! I'm the same way, I always just go to /owned first.
    edited November 2008
    sweet-t310;1570839 said:
    Haha...ninja'd. Damn! I'm the same way, I always just go to /owned first.
    Haha, I think it's because we're veterans. You've been with that site for 3 years, I've been there for 5. Old habits die hard. ;)
    edited November 2008
    I've got friends now! YAYYYYY!!!
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1570872 said:
    I've got friends now! YAYYYYY!!!
    After only one day, too. Took me FIVE YEARS! :mad:

/lol
    edited November 2008
    Yo, culturedog and sweet-t310! New thread specific to DVDAF! :cool:

No more hijacking! My apologies. :o
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited November 2008
    the rocker, the love guru, wayne's world 2, but tonight im gonna watch the new indiana jones... i herd it sucked but oh well..
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    pmpboarder;1561493 said:
    ****SPOILERS****

(Highlight to read)

The curb stomp is the single most cringe-inducing, bone-chilling moments in cinematic history. Just hearing his teeth scrape against the cement as he slowly lowers his mouth to the curb...

*shudders*

****END SPOILERS****

That said, it's also one of my absolute favorite movies. Edward Norton is such a brilliant actor.
    his perfomance in that movie is oneof the best of the last 20 years. ive said it before and ill say it again, in 20 years Edward Norton will be looked at in the same way as De niro, brando or Paul Newman. he is simply that good. also, i love American History X, its actually my favorite movie.im kinda peeved that Norton didn't win the best actor oscar for that.
    edited November 2008
    Cubecubed;1572178 said:
    his perfomance in that movie is oneof the best of the last 20 years. ive said it before and ill say it again, in 20 years Edward Norton will be looked at in the same way as De niro, brando or Paul Newman. he is simply that good. also, i love American History X, its actually my favorite movie.im kinda peeved that Norton didn't win the best actor oscar for that.
    Absolutely!

Funny you should bring up De Niro and Brando. :D

"Uhhh, okay... why is that funny?"

The Score

Watch below for a scene with all three great actors. Warning: lots of f*cking language! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-qaIif2p8

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/score/01.jpg