What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2008
    "Thanks for proving me right."

You said every post. I proved you wrong in this very thread.

"Wait, isn't this what you were a jerk to culturedog about?"

No it isn’t. I was reminded of another movie I recently watched, and since that applies to this thread, I posted about it. Im not replying to everybodys posts giving my 2 cents. And its fine that he is. I just don’t care to read his posts.

“If you don't care about his opinion, why should we care about yours?"

And when did I ever say you should care about my opinion? Oh wait........I didn’t!

Just do yourself a favor and put me on ignore.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited November 2008
    Actually, I didn't say every post. I said every time I see you post. Subtle difference there, but I'm done arguing with you. Continue your ways and see how many friends you have, on here or in real life.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2008
    "Actually, I didn't say every post"

And I still proved you wrong in this very thread.

Anyways, back to the thread.

Another movie I really enjoyned recently was '10 times or less'

Its a short quirky movie with Morgan Freeman.....playing an actor getting ready for his next project. It was filmed up the street from where I live.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Anybody ever see two turtles having sex? It's wild.

Aaaaaannnnd back to movies!
    edited November 2008
    LOL thanks for that.

I watched Shooter this week. I really like that movie, with its nice mix of action and conspiracy. Mark Wahlberg is a good actor to me, though I think most people would probably disagree, haha
    edited November 2008
    iamtheddrman;1598160 said:
    LOL thanks for that.

I watched Shooter this week. I really like that movie, with its nice mix of action and conspiracy. Mark Wahlberg is a good actor to me, though I think most people would probably disagree, haha
    I really hate Kate Mara (as an actress, she's still hot) and Danny Glover (not as hot), but I didn't mind this movie despite those two. I first saw it in theaters so I think that helped. Marky Mark did over-act quite a bit though.
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited November 2008
    Shooter is an excellent film. I watched it with my father a couple months ago, and he was Force Recon back in the 70's, so I got to hear some interesting stories that the movie "reminded" him of.
    He laughed at the conspiracy bits. That scares me.
  • Wolfee360Wolfee360 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    The last movie I saw was Wall-E with my son. I don't get out much.....;)
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    Ehfahq;1597776 said:
    You seem to chim in on everybodys movie. Id rather just put you on ignore so I can enjoy this thread.

See you never again.
    Ehfahq~ just wanted to let you know, I would rather you not post in my thread if you're gonna have this kind of attitude. I want this thread to be a discussion thread, not just a thread where everyone lists what they've seen. culturedog's movie reviews and commentary are more than welcome here. Please keep that in mind if you're going to continue to post in this thread. Thank you~

Now back on topic~
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2008
    Oh my bad. Im sorry I had an opinion about somebodys posts. It wont happen again.

Another movie I watched recently was 'Walk Hard'

I only watched it because the Deweys little brother lives in my apartment complex. I was suprised how good he was. I didnt really like the movie that much, but it had plenty of funny scenes. The beatles were great.
  • TopazDolphinTopazDolphin Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    At the theaters- "X-Files: I Want To Believe"
    Rental- "This Is Spinal Tap"

Been kinda movied-out since then. :o
    edited November 2008
    Ehfahq;1598370 said:
    Oh my bad. Im sorry I had an opinion about somebodys posts. It wont happen again.
    I don't think he meant that you couldn't have an opinion. Just that if you have a negative opinion of someone or something, you could voice it more politely and constructively or just keep it to yourself.

To anybody who has seen it, is Wall-E worth buying on Blu-ray? It looks cool, but I haven't seen it yet.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2008
    From what ive heard Wall-E is a cute little movie. I havent heard that many bad things about it. It did annoy me that he looks alot like Johnny-5(IS ALIVE). But atleast they didnt have a white guy playing an Indian in Wall-E.

Los locos kick your ass. Los locos kick your face. Los locos kick your balls INTO OUTER SPACE!
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    iamtheddrman;1598417 said:
    I don't think he meant that you couldn't have an opinion. Just that if you have a negative opinion of someone or something, you could voice it more politely and constructively or just keep it to yourself.

To anybody who has seen it, is Wall-E worth buying on Blu-ray? It looks cool, but I haven't seen it yet.

Excuse me while I 'chim' in with more outrageous commentary! :D

Wall-E blew me away. Like my friend Ehfahq, I was initially turned off by the character's resemblance to Johnny 5, but I got so swept up in the story that I completely forgot about that after a few minutes.

It's one of Pixar's best films (and I'm pretty well convinced it's their best period), and is one of the best movies of this year.

I'm definitely going to pick up the Blu-ray. High-Def Digest gave it really high marks, and I can only imagine how great some of the space scenes will look in HD!
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited November 2008
    The last movies I watched were Saw 1-Saw 4. They were a lot better than I thought they would be.
    edited November 2008
    Thanks guys! I'll look into it, or maybe put it on my Christmas list. I get together with my cousins every year and we draw names for our annual Christmas party. We've done it since I was 1, and it's something I really look forward to. Luckily, this falls right into our price range :D

Also, I would find it hard to believe Wall-E beats out Iron Man for best movie of the year, but I'm a comic book movie junkie, lol
  • kazlamkazlam Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    all this talk about movies and DVDAF... i havent really kept up with my collection on there. ill have to check my movie stubs and discs when i get home. im sure theres more than a few i need to add.
    owned:
    http://kazlam.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

have-seen:
    http://kazlam.dvdaf.com/have-seen?rc=1
    edited November 2008
    kazlam;1598629 said:
    all this talk about movies and DVDAF... i havent really kept up with my collection on there. ill have to check my movie stubs and discs when i get home. im sure theres more than a few i need to add.
    owned:
    http://kazlam.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1

have-seen:
    http://kazlam.dvdaf.com/have-seen?rc=1
    Damn you! You've got the Best Buy Planet Terror steelbook! I tried like hell to snag it, but it sold out near instantly. I managed to get the Death Proof one, but I really wanted to have 'em both side by side.

Nice collection!
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1598692 said:
    Damn you! You've got the Best Buy Planet Terror steelbook! I tried like hell to snag it, but it sold out near instantly. I managed to get the Death Proof one, but I really wanted to have 'em both side by side.

Nice collection!
    Wow..thanks for reminding me! I know for a fact that I have a steelbook version of both Death Proof and Planet Terror, but I don't think they were 3-discs. There were a few DVD's that I bought when DVDAF was "re-designing" back when it was still "www.dvdaficionado.com", not dvdaf.com, and I they didn't do a good job of getting all the versions of movies that came out during that time...I should really go back through these and double check!
    kazlam;1598629 said:
    I once tried to make a list of every movie I had ever seen....I got to 900 and decided I would narrow it down to my "Top 25 From Every Year" which I still update on a regular basis...for instance, The 2000's.
  • Rock_Band_OverRock_Band_Over Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    iamtheddrman;1598417 said:

Yes, if you own one and only one BD, I think it should be Wall-E. I, too, had no interest in this movie when it originally came out because all I saw in the trailers was a depressing Earth, one robot and that robot going into space. After seeing the trailers on PSN, the film seemed a lot more appealing, and I pre-ordered it from Amazon and watched it yesterday.

Best movie I've ever seen.
    iamtheddrman;1598531 said:
    Also, I would find it hard to believe Wall-E beats out Iron Man for best movie of the year, but I'm a comic book movie junkie, lol
    Iron Man is really good, too... as far as Blu-ray performance, Wall-E looks and sounds better (but it's animated so it probably has a huge advantage over live film). Get Both! Those would be the first two BD's I would get if I were starting my collection over today.
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1598692 said:
    Damn you! You've got the Best Buy Planet Terror steelbook!

Nice collection!
    thanks, im kind of a sucker for special editions/double dipping, depending on the movie. i also keep a binder with business card holders for my movie stubs. i have every one ive gone to see since Feb of '98. gotta love student tickets for $4.75
    Rock_Band_Over;1598748 said:
    Yes, if you own one and only BD, I think it should be Wall-E. I, too, had no interest in this movie when it originally came out because all I saw in the trailers was a depressing Earth, one robot and that robot going into space.
    thats exactly the reason why i was interested in it.
    Iron Man is really good, too... Those would be the first two BD's I would get if I were starting my collection over today.
    i was thinking about getting the BD Wall-E, but i really wanted to watch it again & not have it sit on my shelf till i got a BD player. though i did have 12 DVD's before i had a way to watch them...
  • Rock_Band_OverRock_Band_Over Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    kazlam;1598773 said:
    thats exactly the reason why i was interested in it.

i was thinking about getting the BD Wall-E, but i really wanted to watch it again & not have it sit on my shelf till i got a BD player. though i did have 12 DVD's before i had a way to watch them...
    Ah... were you disappointed by 'everything else' that appeared in the movie then?

I'm not that savvy on tech specs other than knowing 1080p is BD HD quality... The BD (and DVD) of Wall-E comes with a 'digital copy' that's in 480p Standard Def that you could watch on your computer.
    edited November 2008
    Rock_Band_Over;1598803 said:
    Ah... were you disappointed by 'everything else' that appeared in the movie then?
    i may have been misleading in my emphasis on was. i meant the idea of a desolate planet, single robot, and him going into space were precicely the reasons that i wanted to see it. added to the fact that i havent been let down by Pixar yet. next up, 'UP'.
    edited November 2008
    Iron Man is really good, too... as far as Blu-ray performance, Wall-E looks and sounds better (but it's animated so it probably has a huge advantage over live film). Get Both! Those would be the first two BD's I would get if I were starting my collection over today.
    Cool. I've got about 15 BDs and 20 HD DVDs (I cashed in on firesales LOL) so I'm not really just starting. Money is tight for me right now though so I want my BD purchases to be worthwhile. Thanks for the input
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Watched get smart last night. Wasn't as good as I had hoped being a fan of both steve carrell and the series. Were some funny moments though. I would give it a 7/10 rating.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    i finally got to see "mister lonely" in a more proper setting last night...

i had seen an earlier version about a year and a half ago when harmony was previewing it on no-neck blues band's tour and though i've remained friendly with him over the past 11 years or so, he's terrible at keeping in touch so i didn't even know it had been released until it was too late.

luckily, netflix came to the rescue!
  • LankanLatinoLankanLatino Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Watched The Incredible Hulk
    for the most part
    missed few minutes here and there
    action scenes were cool, but overall i preferred Iron Man (only mention this cause people say hulk is as good as iron man)

not saying hulk is bad or anything, just like tony stark's character more than bruce's
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited November 2008
    Dangit, I can't find my Tremors 4-Pack. :mad:
    Someone said "ass-blaster" in my physics class today (the Russian teacher did not know the reference) and I've been itching to watch that again all day.
    edited November 2008
    kazlam;1598773 said:
    thanks, im kind of a sucker for special editions/double dipping, depending on the movie. i also keep a binder with business card holders for my movie stubs. i have every one ive gone to see since Feb of '98. gotta love student tickets for $4.75
    Same here - I've got all my stubs going back to '94, though I keep them loose in a huge rice bowl with a pair of chopsticks shoved in. I've been meaning to make digital scans of them all, since they have a tendency to fade quickly.

Back to the 'last seen' movies, I saw Transporter 3 last night and thought it was much better than the last. Way more in the spirit of the original, with slightly more down to earth action.

Basically Frank Martin's still trying to remain retired, fishing with his old buddy Inspector Tarconi as often as possible. Unfortunately, his reputation is still running strong, and a paid strongman for a bunch of polluting Americans wishes to hire him for a job. This plot ties in with an EPA bigwig in the Ukraine (Jeroen Krabbe of The Living Daylights!) and his fun-loving daughter who gets kidnapped while partying in Ibiza.

One cool gimmick about this film is that Frank has a "Battle Royale" style 'sploding body accessory, in this case a bracelet that goes kablooey if he moves too far away from his beloved black Audi. Which keeps the action car-centric, thankfully.

The only thing that bothered me was that alot of the aerial shots of the car chases were sped up, so they looked cartoonish instead of thrilling. Lots of flashy editing too, which sometimes obscures Cory Yuen's intricately choreographed fight scenes. For those who didn't like the busy nature of Quantum of Solace, you'll hate this. Even static shots of ships in a harbor are constantly spliced, fast-forwarded and tweaked with, as if the editor was bored and needed something to do.

It looks better than the last film, probably thanks to new director Olivier Megaton (only Luc Besson can dig up guys with names like this!). Mr. Megaton and his DP Giovanni Fiore Coltellacci make great usage of locations such as Marseilles, Budapest and the beautiful vistas near Stuttgart.

The plot is relatively thin, the characters are cardboard cutouts with dense accents (even the Americans sound fake, kinda like when English characters would show up in Hong Kong movies) and the editing is just way too nutty. But, hey - it's Frank Martin kicking ass, grabbing ass and driving fast. What more do you want?
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1600623 said:
    Back to the 'last seen' movies, I saw Transporter 3 last night and thought it was much better than the last.
    How do you see all these early screenings? I can't wait for Transporter 3~

Last night I saw the last hour of Die Hard. I've seen it before of course but I just realized ... isn't the ending kind of silly?
    Highlight for spoiler~

When that guy who was left hanging for like an hour suddenly appears with his gun. He should have been dead, and then he somehow got passed all the cops and was able to end up almost right in front of McClain. It's like all they wanted was for that cop to shoot someone before the movie ended