What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I watched Beowulf last night since it was the last copy in HD DVD over at Fry's, and I just wanted it. It was actually pretty bad ass, I grew a beard watching it.
  • LORDJUJULORDJUJU Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Better off dead. Awesome freakin movie, if you have not seen this you should.
  • citric_bulletscitric_bullets Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I watched Reservoir Dogs yesterday. Didn't particularly enjoy it.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited December 2008
    citric_bullets;1655291 said:
    I watched Reservoir Dogs yesterday. Didn't particularly enjoy it.
    I totally agree. I watched it because I got it for like 8 bucks on DVD, but it just kinda bored me. Maybe I'm just not into that type of movie or something.

I watched "Missing In Action" a few days ago. It's a good thing Chuck Norris is a legend, because that acting was just sad, lol
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    iamtheddrman;1655387 said:
    I watched "Missing In Action" a few days ago. It's a good thing Chuck Norris is a legend, because that acting was just sad, lol
    Of course~ those are some pretty bad movies~ but we watch them for the Chuck, not for the acting. Same thing for me with Rambo 2~ I've seen it many times only cause Stallone is so bad a$$ in it lol.

I saw Raging Bull the other day~ my Grandpa said it's De Niro's best film~ but Taxi Driver takes the cake in my opinion. I still haven't seen The Godfather II or Goodfellas though, which is pretty sad. I'll ask him to get those for me next week.
  • Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Malibu's Most Wanted. I watch it every time it comes on Comedy Central.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Re-watched a couple this weekend: Wanted (on fancy blu-ray!) and The Thing (I love the Chiller channel).

I also watched Nobel Son. I went into it with practically zero knowledge or preconceptions. I saw it was playing, saw the plot outline, and thought, "what the hell, got nothing else to do". Even though it took me a few minutes to get past the lady selling tickets because she didn't know what movie I was talking about (apparently I was the only person to have bought a ticket to this thing the entire weekend), I enjoyed it. It was definitely entertaining as long as you just sit back and let the movie take you where it wants to take you and don't over-analyze it. Afterwards as I was walking to my car, I started thinking about how little sense the plot made when you look back at the WHOLE picture, but then I smacked myself and remembered that the movie entertained me, which is what it was supposed to do. It wasn't out to be an Oscar winner, just a fun caper pic. Definitely recommend.
  • StewieStewie Stewie Star
    edited December 2008
    Just saw Transformers and Shrek The Third recently.

8/10 for Transformers and 7/10 for Shrek 3
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited December 2008
    Finally got around to watching the new Indy movie.

I think I was so de-hyped from all the negative things I had heard about it , I actually enjoyed it. Granted , it's nowhere near the original 3 , but it was a fun watch.

(pretty on Blu-Ray too !)
  • bood-boybood-boy Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Shredder87;1655112 said:
    I watched Beowulf last night since it was the last copy in HD DVD over at Fry's, and I just wanted it. It was actually pretty bad ass, I grew a beard watching it.
    it was definately badass. ill watch it again soon. great in HD.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    i watched the germs documentary "what we do is secret" early this morning...
    i was too drunk to decide if i liked it or not, so i'll have to watch it again.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    bood-boy;1662213 said:
    it was definately badass. ill watch it again soon. great in HD.
    I know. I thought I wasn't going to dig it. I mean, the man fights Grendel naked. NAKED!!! And he mentions his name every ten minutes. Now that's a man among boys.
  • MighedMighed Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    i saw futurrama benders game
    edited December 2008
    This morning I saw The Sting before going to school. Paul Newman and Robert Redford probably should have made more than two films together~ they were also both in Butch Cassidy. It would have been nice if they did since both films were outstanding. Even the director was the same for both of them (George Roy Hill)

I just found out that Hill made an adaptation of SlaughterHouse-Five in between the making of those two films. Apparently Vonnegut loved it~ so it must have been really good.. another one to add to the list.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Batman Begins,Gotham Knight and The Dark Knight. All 3 in a row on Blu-ray.
    edited December 2008
    Rock_Starman;1667439 said:
    Batman Begins,Gotham Knight and The Dark Knight. All 3 in a row on Blu-ray.
    Oh right~ The Dark Knight came out on DVD~ how are the bonus features? Anyone?
  • stigmaticastigmatica Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Last movie I watched = "Wanted" on bd just last night. Fun movie, I'll definitely watch it again, but like most movies today, you've got to check you're brain in at the door.
  • SpiritintheskySpiritinthesky Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    The Bucket list - great film.
  • EerifEerif Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Trainspotting!

Still workin my way down, knocking off films I haven't seen that are on the IMDB top 250.
    edited December 2008
    Eerif;1669058 said:
    Still workin my way down, knocking off films I haven't seen that are on the IMDB top 250.
    Ah, I remember seeing that list~ you made a thread didn't you?
    I'll dig that out now (don't wanna de-rail this one)~ maybe help pick out some more films~ :)
  • GoatbusterGoatbuster Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    The last movie I saw was 300 for like the tenth time. That movie is so awesome, inaccurate as hell, but awesome.
  • JSchmidt85JSchmidt85 Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    g/f made me watch Moulin Rouge today.. :o
  • travmeatwadtravmeatwad Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Step Brothers, and You Don't Mess With The Zohan (not my choice.)

Both were absolutely horrible. This is why I need to pick the movies. Haha.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Watched Burn After Reading on DVD last night, and on second viewing it cemented my opinion that it is really solid Coens material. They've done the comedy of dunces thing before, but I loved how they bounced spy film tropes against the everyday subterfuge of marital infedelity. And man, Malkovich, Clooney and Pitt were funny as hell. Loved J.K. Simmons as well. I think this one's going to stick on my top ten for the year.

A few hours before that I saw The Day The Earth Said "Whoah!", which was pretty underwhelming - even in IMAX. Keanu was fine, as was Jennifer Connelly and Jaden Smith, but the human angle of the story just never connected.

The CGI was interesting enough, but there wasn't much of a 'wow' factor that makes it a necessity to see in IMAX. Hell, the best scene in the whole film was a quiet moment with Reeves and John Cleese working out a mathematic equation on a chalkboard.

The plot and the philosophy remained true enough to the original, perhaps to a fault. I kept thinking that they really could have pushed the envelope and delivered something majorly thought provoking. Instead, we get another 'humans judged by aliens' story that doesn't deviate enough from the films that came before (the original DtESS, The Fifth Element, The Abyss Special Edition etc.).

The biggest problem is that the film never captures a true sense of urgency - the world never really feels like it's standing still, and the story of the characters doesn't resonate with the viewer despite the script's vain attempts to reshape the cold-war plotline into our post-9/11reality and our focus on global warming and the tanking economy.

I kept thinking back to The Abyss, and what made that film so great was that the microcosmic human drama was so engaging and compelling that it fueled the macrocosmic alien judgement story. Here, nothing ultimately connects on the smaller, dramatic level, so it's hard to invest yourself in the whole end of the world routine.

James Hong (Lo Pan!) appears briefly as another alien who is enraptured by mankind, but Reeve's character never gets to stretch his **** sapien legs. He learns lessons because the script demands it, not because it happens naturally. There's alot of philosophy-laden dialogue about humankind and the duality of violence and love, but it's been done much better so many times before. They could have carried this thread out further and created a great thinking-man's sci-fi instead of a lukewarm remake of a classic.

The night before that I caught Slumdog Millionaire, which was fantastic. Danny Boyle yet again proves that he can tackle just about any genre with satisfying results. This one is an adaptation of a novel about a poor Indian kid Jamal from the Mumbai slums who becomes a successful victor on a popular TV game show (here the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?).

Of course nobody as low-class as this guy could possess such knowledge without cheating, so the film is framed by his interrogation by the local police as they force him to review the game footage and explain how he could have possibly gotten the answers right. This allows the story to bounce back in time to show Jamal's tumultuous childhood and how even the harshest of lives can be a learning experience.

The film is also a very sweet love story, as Jamal and his more street-wise brother form their version of The Three Musketeers with another homeless kid - a girl whom Jamal becomes obsessed with 'saving', even after her fate (and beauty) drags her into the possession of multiple sleazy underworld heavies.

This simple love story works just as well here as it did in WALL-E, and Jamal is a very similar romantic character. The film works well enough as an 'against all odds' tale of a poor man reaching for the gold, but it hit high gear once you realize that Jamal doesn't even care about the money.

Boyle does a great job adopting the low budget aesthetic of Indian filmmaking, and the kinetic camerawork really digs into the nitty gritty of the life of the poor in India. Great music too by luminary A.R. Rahman (and yet another appearance of M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" hit). There's even a dance number in true Bollywood fashion!

Before that I caught the other Boyle flick 28 Days Later again for the zillionth time. I've gotten my nephew obsessed with the series since showing them both to him earlier in the year, and he asks me to see them again just about every time we hang out. Even though it rankled George A. Romero purists by inspiring the era of the 'fast moving zombie' (or pseudo-zombie in this case), it really is a great film that gets better with each viewing. And I love the tour de force Manchester massacre segment where Jim discovers his own natural version of Rage.

My nephew's still disturbed by the decision to have Cillian Murphy naked to the world at the beginning. I tried to explain that it symbolized him being reborn and that it (and his unruly facial hair) was meant to be a visual reference to the bed-ridden chimpanzee in the animal laboratory during the previous scene. Of course he still sees it as "Ewww, that's ***!"

That's it for now. Going to see Tale of Despereaux tomorrow morning. I'll report back later. :D
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited December 2008
    Saw Prince Caspian on Bluray last night. Very pretty and it had its moments , but not nearly as good as Lion Witch and the Wardrobe.
  • rowtheboatrowtheboat Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    edited December 2008
    I saw Heat again the other day~ and am in the middle of watching The Thin Red Line~

I'm looking forward to seeing Slumdog Millionaire even more from that description you gave culturedog. It sounds really interesting.
    edited December 2008
    Watched Commando last night. I win.

But Ahnold shouldn't try Bondish-quips, just doesn't work. "Don't wake mah friend, he's dehd tahhred"
  • TopazDolphinTopazDolphin Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    The Dark Knight, finally!

A good movie. Planning to see Brazil next.
    edited December 2008
    rowtheboat;1676979 said:
    batman dark knight
    Wow, watched two movies in a row did you? Both Tim Burton's 1989 film and Chris Nolan's recent blockbuster?

While that would be fun, I just watched the Dark Knight by itself last night on Blu-Ray with the Special Features turned on. Made the 2 hour 32 minute movie into 3 hours 53 minutes! But worth it.