What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Gatsby 42;1633888 said:
    Actually, uncomfortable situations have been a tool of comedy almost since the beginning of filmed comedy in general. A lot of comedy classics like Airplane or The Three Stooges sure as hell utilize such material.
    Umm...what? Airplane is the exact opposite of what I am talking about. What I'm referring to is the new trend of the "Appatow" movies to use awkward sex scenes like in Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin, etc, to get their laughs, where Airplane was just one-liner after one-liner. What part of Airplane are you speaking of? And as for the 3 Stooges, that's called slapstick. Still nowhere close to what we're seeing today.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I don't know, I love just about all of the Apatow movies and most of their pants-wetting moments are verbally oriented - mainly from the cast's great ad libbing.

Granted, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Walk Hard both have the 'laugh at the naked man' gag, but Superbad killed me with dialogue. But yeah, the Apatow style isn't much for one-liners - it's more of a filthy Howard Hawks type of thing.
  • Gatsby 42Gatsby 42 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, you said uncomfortable situations and movies like Airplane, Caddy Shack and various other classics comedies aren't what you were describing them as. Saying that they're just one liner after one liner cheapens it. Superbad was a movie that was all one liners, Superbad along with nearly all sex comedies is terrible.

Older comedies were just better written, that's all there is too it. With great comedic minds backing them they were able to construct these perfect situations, and with people like John Belushi and Rodney Dangerfield, they could deliver them with better comic timing and gusto than ever.

These days the biggest flaw is in the lack of any real comedic talent. Kind of like the Fallout Boys and Nickelbacks of today pale in comparison to the Zeppelins and Floyds of yesterday, the comedies today really have no hope of matching up to the older comedies.

I think the whole sex obsession is just a reflection on our times, we're in a sex obsessed culture and the movies are following suit with all these shock obsessed films.
    edited December 2008
    culturedog;1633931 said:
    Granted, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Walk Hard both have the 'laugh at the naked man' gag, but Superbad killed me with dialogue. But yeah, the Apatow style isn't much for one-liners - it's more of a filthy Howard Hawks type of thing.
    Right, and that was the point I was trying to make. I'm not saying these are bad movies in general, just that I particularly don't enjoy them. They seem lazy to me, since as I watch them I can pretty much predict what is going to happen and what "funny" parts are coming up.

Call me old school (but don't make me watch Old School), but I prefer random dialogue-indused laughter. Flicks like Airplane, Dumb and Dumber, or Fletch. I even consider Se7en to be hilarious based on Detective Mills' jabs:

"I've been trying to figure something in my head, and maybe you can help me out, yeah? When a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you know that you're insane? Maybe you're just sitting around, reading "Guns and Ammo", masturbating in your own feces, do you just stop and go, "Wow! It is amazing how f***ing crazy I really am!"? Yeah. Do you guys do that? "
    Gatsby 42;1633940 said:
    Yeah, you said uncomfortable situations and movies like Airplane, Caddy Shack and various other classics comedies aren't what you were describing them as. Saying that they're just one liner after one liner cheapens it. Superbad was a movie that was all one liners, Superbad along with nearly all sex comedies is terrible.

Older comedies were just better written, that's all there is too it. With great comedic minds backing them they were able to construct these perfect situations, and with people like John Belushi and Rodney Dangerfield, they could deliver them with better comic timing and gusto than ever.
    Ok, I thought you were saying that Airplane was similar to "modern" comedies. And I agree about the writing and the times we live in. Just saying that the "modern" comedies can't compare to the Caddyshack's, the Fletch's, or the Airplane's.

Where have you gone Peter Sellers?
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    sweet-t310;1633952 said:
    Call me old school (but don't make me watch Old School)
    Good one! *tips hat*
  • Invidia-SamaInvidia-Sama Unsigned
    edited December 2008
    I forgot...I think Saw V or Final Fantasy VII: Last Order
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    I saw Last Tango in Paris (1973) yesterday~ not one for the kiddies :p (it's the second NC-17 movie I've seen, the other one was The Dreamers by the same director)~ anyway, I enjoyed it~ Marlon Brando was great~ I wasn't surprised when I looked it up and found out that he was nominated for the best actor Oscar.
    edited December 2008
    My grandpa decided he would go out every Friday and pick out old movies for me at the library (a great place to get movies btw).
    So I'm going to see Raging Bull, The Sting, and Patton this weekend.
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited December 2008
    Picked up Hancock the other day. Hilarious.

"She should sue you!"
    "Yeah well you should sue McDonalds, 'cause they ****ed you up."
  • brobotbrobot Sorbital, Silicon Dioxide and Magnesium Stearate
    edited December 2008
    Just watched Fred Clause. Not too bad and it was a good character for Paul Giamanti.
  • PandastrikePandastrike Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    The Bucketlist

Had to watch it in french class.
  • bood-boybood-boy Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Beowolf.

i was pleasantly surprised at how awesome it was, and i generally hate CG movies. ill dfinately be keeping it on my PVR for a while, looks awesome in HD.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    The Comedians of Comedy:The Movie. i actually streamed it over XBL thru Netflix.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I watched Beowulf last night since it was the last copy in HD DVD over at Fry's, and I just wanted it. It was actually pretty bad ass, I grew a beard watching it.
  • LORDJUJULORDJUJU Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Better off dead. Awesome freakin movie, if you have not seen this you should.
  • citric_bulletscitric_bullets Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I watched Reservoir Dogs yesterday. Didn't particularly enjoy it.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited December 2008
    citric_bullets;1655291 said:
    I watched Reservoir Dogs yesterday. Didn't particularly enjoy it.
    I totally agree. I watched it because I got it for like 8 bucks on DVD, but it just kinda bored me. Maybe I'm just not into that type of movie or something.

I watched "Missing In Action" a few days ago. It's a good thing Chuck Norris is a legend, because that acting was just sad, lol
    edited December 2008
    iamtheddrman;1655387 said:
    I watched "Missing In Action" a few days ago. It's a good thing Chuck Norris is a legend, because that acting was just sad, lol
    Of course~ those are some pretty bad movies~ but we watch them for the Chuck, not for the acting. Same thing for me with Rambo 2~ I've seen it many times only cause Stallone is so bad a$$ in it lol.

I saw Raging Bull the other day~ my Grandpa said it's De Niro's best film~ but Taxi Driver takes the cake in my opinion. I still haven't seen The Godfather II or Goodfellas though, which is pretty sad. I'll ask him to get those for me next week.
  • Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Malibu's Most Wanted. I watch it every time it comes on Comedy Central.
    edited December 2008
    Re-watched a couple this weekend: Wanted (on fancy blu-ray!) and The Thing (I love the Chiller channel).

I also watched Nobel Son. I went into it with practically zero knowledge or preconceptions. I saw it was playing, saw the plot outline, and thought, "what the hell, got nothing else to do". Even though it took me a few minutes to get past the lady selling tickets because she didn't know what movie I was talking about (apparently I was the only person to have bought a ticket to this thing the entire weekend), I enjoyed it. It was definitely entertaining as long as you just sit back and let the movie take you where it wants to take you and don't over-analyze it. Afterwards as I was walking to my car, I started thinking about how little sense the plot made when you look back at the WHOLE picture, but then I smacked myself and remembered that the movie entertained me, which is what it was supposed to do. It wasn't out to be an Oscar winner, just a fun caper pic. Definitely recommend.
  • StewieStewie Stewie Star
    edited December 2008
    Just saw Transformers and Shrek The Third recently.

8/10 for Transformers and 7/10 for Shrek 3
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited December 2008
    Finally got around to watching the new Indy movie.

I think I was so de-hyped from all the negative things I had heard about it , I actually enjoyed it. Granted , it's nowhere near the original 3 , but it was a fun watch.

(pretty on Blu-Ray too !)
  • bood-boybood-boy Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Shredder87;1655112 said:
    I watched Beowulf last night since it was the last copy in HD DVD over at Fry's, and I just wanted it. It was actually pretty bad ass, I grew a beard watching it.
    it was definately badass. ill watch it again soon. great in HD.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    i watched the germs documentary "what we do is secret" early this morning...
    i was too drunk to decide if i liked it or not, so i'll have to watch it again.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    bood-boy;1662213 said:
    it was definately badass. ill watch it again soon. great in HD.
    I know. I thought I wasn't going to dig it. I mean, the man fights Grendel naked. NAKED!!! And he mentions his name every ten minutes. Now that's a man among boys.
  • MighedMighed Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    i saw futurrama benders game
    edited December 2008
    This morning I saw The Sting before going to school. Paul Newman and Robert Redford probably should have made more than two films together~ they were also both in Butch Cassidy. It would have been nice if they did since both films were outstanding. Even the director was the same for both of them (George Roy Hill)

I just found out that Hill made an adaptation of SlaughterHouse-Five in between the making of those two films. Apparently Vonnegut loved it~ so it must have been really good.. another one to add to the list.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited December 2008
    Batman Begins,Gotham Knight and The Dark Knight. All 3 in a row on Blu-ray.
    edited December 2008
    Rock_Starman;1667439 said:
    Batman Begins,Gotham Knight and The Dark Knight. All 3 in a row on Blu-ray.
    Oh right~ The Dark Knight came out on DVD~ how are the bonus features? Anyone?
  • stigmaticastigmatica Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Last movie I watched = "Wanted" on bd just last night. Fun movie, I'll definitely watch it again, but like most movies today, you've got to check you're brain in at the door.