What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited December 2008
    Saw Prince Caspian on Bluray last night. Very pretty and it had its moments , but not nearly as good as Lion Witch and the Wardrobe.
  • rowtheboatrowtheboat Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    I saw Heat again the other day~ and am in the middle of watching The Thin Red Line~

I'm looking forward to seeing Slumdog Millionaire even more from that description you gave culturedog. It sounds really interesting.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Watched Commando last night. I win.

But Ahnold shouldn't try Bondish-quips, just doesn't work. "Don't wake mah friend, he's dehd tahhred"
  • TopazDolphinTopazDolphin Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    The Dark Knight, finally!

A good movie. Planning to see Brazil next.
    edited December 2008
    rowtheboat;1676979 said:
    batman dark knight
    Wow, watched two movies in a row did you? Both Tim Burton's 1989 film and Chris Nolan's recent blockbuster?

While that would be fun, I just watched the Dark Knight by itself last night on Blu-Ray with the Special Features turned on. Made the 2 hour 32 minute movie into 3 hours 53 minutes! But worth it.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Saw The Tale of Despereaux on Saturday, and it was much better than I anticipated. When I saw the trailer I wasn't that into the character design of the humans, but the finished product looked beautiful, with amazing virtual sets and a ton of detail. It also didn't hurt that it had a solid, character driven story at its center, unlike some of the other Pixar wannabes who churn out any ol' dumb concept and then try to make up for a lack of substance with cute characters.

This also has cute characters (the titular mouse is a cuddly little bugger with giant, floppy ears), but it isn't afraid to dish out some creepy looking rats, including the leader of Ratworld - who resembles a rodent version of Max Schreck's Count Orlock the Nosferatu.

It's a nice flick about shades of grey, and how people can do villainous things without being villains per se. It also gets into explorations of what it means to be honourable and gentlemanly, and how grief and forgiveness can lead one to do suprising actions.

Good voicework from Matthew Broderick, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Watson etc., and a great 3-D storybook look. It's a little long for a kids' movie, and the story skews a little bit older than most CG animation fare, but children around the age of ten should love it.

Also finally got around to seeing Elf on video, which was very cute and definitely benefited from having a great cast of seasoned actors such as James Caan, Ed Asner and Bob Newhart. They were the perfect balance to Will Ferrell's childlike zaniness. The plot dealt with plenty of well-worn Christmas movie motifs, but it's like Favreau et al shook everything up in a snowglobe and gave it a fresh kick in the pants.

My niece was also visiting and she wanted to watch Peter Jackson's King Kong, so I finally found an occasion to pop in the extended version. I love the original, and I find that Jackson's infectious affection for it helped him craft a solid remake. I can understand complaints about the self-indulgent nature of the bulk of the island-based adventure segments, but they feel spiritually faithful to the spectacle-devoted parts of Cooper's film.

It's funny how it starts as a character piece before turning into a non-stop rollercoaster ride of CG creature attacks, before finally turning back into a character piece for the third act. I can understand why Jackson cut out the ceratops and raft attacks segments, but they are fun enough when you're not sitting on a butt-numbing theater chair for three and a half hours.

It also hit me how similar it felt to watching the Redux version of Apocalypse Now, which was another film about a journey peppered with a series of skirmishes and unrelated dangerous scenarios. This of course no doubt stems from King Kong's multiple allusions to Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

While some of the greenscreen shots integrating live actors into CG dinofests still come off a bit clunky, it's still pretty staggering how well Jackson has been able to create amazing worlds with a completely free-moving camera. And Andy Serkis' work at breathing life into Kong really worked wonders. The movie definitely would have failed if Kong ceased to be a believable, sympathetic character - but they really knocked it out of the park in that aspect.
    edited December 2008
    sweet-t310;1685601 said:
    While that would be fun, I just watched the Dark Knight by itself last night on Blu-Ray with the Special Features turned on. Made the 2 hour 32 minute movie into 3 hours 53 minutes! But worth it.
    Have you tried any of the BD-Live features yet? I'm really intrigued by the 'record your own commentary' options on the newer WB and Universal discs.

I think I want to try to do one sometime, but I want to make sure I have some notes and thoughts put together so I'm not just going "Uhhhh, this part is cool. Uhhh, I like the Joker. He's a badass. Uhhhh, isn't Christopher Nolan great?"
  • StewieStewie Stewie Star
    edited December 2008
    Fred Claus, Get Smart and Step Brothers. Get Smart was the best of the three.
    edited December 2008
    culturedog;1685715 said:
    Have you tried any of the BD-Live features yet? I'm really intrigued by the 'record your own commentary' options on the newer WB and Universal discs.

I think I want to try to do one sometime, but I want to make sure I have some notes and thoughts put together so I'm not just going "Uhhhh, this part is cool. Uhhh, I like the Joker. He's a badass. Uhhhh, isn't Christopher Nolan great?"
    I think that's the reason I didn't try it yet. I loaded the BD-Live on Wanted, but ended up not doing anything with it. Guess I'd rather listen to the commentary from the people that actually made the movie!

But on a side note, has anyone seen the Super Troopers Blu-Ray? That was an "ok" movie for me as I enjoyed it, but wasn't fanatical about it like some. Even so, I'm thinking about picking it up as it has a drinking game and a picture-in-picture commentary with the guys staring back at you at the bottom of the screen randomly throwing insults at you. Now THAT'S entertainment!
    edited December 2008
    sweet-t310;1685764 said:
    I think that's the reason I didn't try it yet. I loaded the BD-Live on Wanted, but ended up not doing anything with it. Guess I'd rather listen to the commentary from the people that actually made the movie!

But on a side note, has anyone seen the Super Troopers Blu-Ray? That was an "ok" movie for me as I enjoyed it, but wasn't fanatical about it like some. Even so, I'm thinking about picking it up as it has a drinking game and a picture-in-picture commentary with the guys staring back at you at the bottom of the screen randomly throwing insults at you. Now THAT'S entertainment!
    Yeah, I don't think I could handle listening to 2 and a half hours' worth of commentary from some random guy called Jok3rRoolZ71. If only the old MST3K people hadn't made pay commentary services with RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic, they could break out some awesomely funny free ones!

Still haven't seen Super Troopers yet, even though I get regularly yelled at by superfans for being such an inexperienced bastard. That abusive PIP feature does sound cool!
    edited December 2008
    culturedog;1685845 said:
    Still haven't seen Super Troopers yet, even though I get regularly yelled at by superfans for being such an inexperienced bastard. That abusive PIP feature does sound cool!
    See, I enjoyed it because I have friends who are cops, but yeah, nothing to get all "OMGLOLWTFBBQ!!" about it.
  • JoshuaB81285JoshuaB81285 Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I watched "Batman" (1989) the other day. Keaton was good as Bruce Wayne/Batman, but he portrayed them almost like they're was no difference between the two characters. And while Jack Nicholsan is good, Heath Ledger's Joker was just way more menacing/bamf.
    edited December 2008
    Storm Troopers was a pretty good movie~
    I haven't seen anything in a couple days since I've been busy with finals.

Last movie I did see was The Thin Red Line~ I was hoping it would be better than it was. Not exactly up there with other WWII movies like Saving Private Ryan or The Pianist. I was actually almost falling asleep, but maybe I was just tired.
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? yesterday and the performances in that movie are amazing. A definite must see. I'm also watching Soylent Green right now, also an awesome movie.
  • Gatsby 42Gatsby 42 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    I saw Sin City and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story last.

Dragon was a semi interesting biopic. Kindof cheeseball seeing as how the beginning they make Bruce get into all these random fights(there's one scene where Bruce gets more attention from a female waitress at a restaurant he's working at so every cook gets a hatchet out and attacks Bruce.)But it went through his story pretty well and I was entertained the entire time.

Sin City was phenomenal like always, that movie never gets old.
    edited December 2008
    I just got done watching Logan's Run and a documentary on Slasher films. Both were really good, but Logan's Run visual don't hold up to today's standards. But that is an issue with all Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies from the past. A remake wouldn't hurt it.
  • StewieStewie Stewie Star
    edited December 2008
    I watched Scrooged today. It's a great Christmas comedy.
  • Gatsby 42Gatsby 42 Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Zidane;1693667 said:
    I just got done watching Logan's Run and a documentary on Slasher films. Both were really good, but Logan's Run visual don't hold up to today's standards. But that is an issue with all Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies from the past. A remake wouldn't hurt it.

The Island is pretty much a Logan's Run remake.
    edited December 2008
    Gatsby 42;1695460 said:
    The Island is pretty much a Logan's Run remake.
    I should have said good remake. Anyway, I saw Shaft earlier today. Awwwww yeahhhhh!
  • citric_bulletscitric_bullets Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I watched Catch Me If You Can for the 3rd or 4th time a couple days ago. Love that movie.
    edited December 2008
    I love Catch Me If You Can too~

I saw Goodfellas last night~ great mob movie~ and I have Schindler's List up next.
  • HardRocker12HardRocker12 Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    I got to watch Home Alone in school a couple days ago. I haven't seen that in a while. I dont remember him being so young. Still a good movie though.
    edited December 2008
    Saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night. Great film, if not Fincher's best (that would be Fight Club). It's like one part Big Fish, two parts Forrest Gump and a heavy dose of Fincher's sensibilities. Looks great, sounds incredible (Fincher's sound design team always finds ways of making everyday, mundane noises feel as thrilling as giant explosions) and the acting was sublime.

Sometimes the special effects were a little dodgy. The manipulated face of Brad Pitt as the 'old' kid looked good, but something was often just a little off. Like the eyes would cease to convince for a moment, or look a bit too 'digital'. Still, the performances were convincing, and Pitt was great at conveying the true age of his character.

Even when he was saddled with the look of an old coot, you never had to talk yourself into believing that he was a young man. He brings a sense of playfulness and levity to it that works great. Likewise, the later scenes with a young Benjamin Button are played so that his old soul shines through the flawless young facade.

It also at times reminded me of The Fountain, which interestingly was at one time meant to star Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. Blanchett is also great, and delivers some heart wrenching moments.

The look is great, from the sterile, clinical 'present day' to the warm, brown and orange tones in the past (that Fincher seems to love). Finch also gets to play with some retro film looks for numerous storytelling flashbacks, something he's done before in films like The Game. In fact, it seems that in Fincher's world history and film are inseparable, so if you show a story of something that happened long ago, it will be on ancient film stock and covered in scratches.

There's also a lot of interesting subtext and thematic explorations in the film, most notably involving the imagery of a hummingbird and its connections to the notion of infinity. The main characters are also connected to the Moebius strip Inifinity loop, as they are two characters at two extremes that are really one. There's also that one segment of their lives where they connect on the exact same level (in this case, at the same physical and spiritual age).

There's alot to chew on with this film, with plenty of thought given to the nature of time and the symmetrical nature of the human life cycle. And even if you can care less about all that, there's a very moving love story at its core. It may initially come off as too similar to Forrest Gump (there's a mama type, a Jennie type, a Bubba type and even a Lieutenant Dan type), but Fincher's done something special with this material. Definitely have to see it again. And possibly read the original story sometime.

Tyler Durden says go check it out. It's not subversive or extremely dark, and is suprisingly buoyant and sentimental for a Fincher film, but it's still a must see.
    edited December 2008
    I saw John Waters: This Filthy World. God, I love John Waters. He's the man.
    edited December 2008
    culturedog;1698974 said:
    Saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night. Great film, if not Fincher's best (that would be Fight Club). It's like one part Big Fish, two parts Forrest Gump and a heavy dose of Fincher's sensibilities. Looks great, sounds incredible (Fincher's sound design team always finds ways of making everyday, mundane noises feel as thrilling as giant explosions) and the acting was sublime.

Tyler Durden says go check it out. It's not subversive or extremely dark, and is suprisingly buoyant and sentimental for a Fincher film, but it's still a must see.
    [salivating]
    edited December 2008
    Just finished watching the Fifth Element for the first time. Pretty awesome, if you asked me.
    edited December 2008
    So I was watching Schindler's List~ since the film is 3 hours and 15 minutes long they made the movie into two parts~ one on each side of the DVD. Got to the second part and my Xbox kept stopping to try and read the disc. I went and tried cleaning it, put it back in, and now it won't read at all. So I'm stuck 2 hours and 20 minutes into the film -_-
  • zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I saw Yes Man last night, pretty damn funny
    edited December 2008
    Anyone heard of Waltz with Bashir? It's from Israel and comes out on Christmas day~
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/waltz_with_bashir/

Not to mention it's animated~ and really nicely~ here's the trailer~
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylzO9vbEpPg

and another video~ I've seen this one at least five times now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AiPs8NjTpU

Definitely going one for my list~ can't wait to see it