What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Just watched Hellboy 2 the other night.

I was a little disappointed. Hellboy could be so much better.
  • StewieStewie Stewie Star
    edited December 2008
    iamtheddrman;1721352 said:
    I don't even want to know how many times I've seen it. I even have it on DVD for those random times when I wanna hear "Daddy's gonna kill Ralphie!" or that awesome Ovaltine commercial message, lol. Definitely my favorite Christmas movie.

lol I have it on DVD to! :D
  • Mikey803Mikey803 Headliner
    edited December 2008
    uh...last movie I watched...

...Fight Club...

...great movie
  • TopazDolphinTopazDolphin Opening Act
    edited December 2008
    Brazil and Somewhere in Time. The former rocked, the latter was okay. I prefer the book.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited December 2008
    Stewie;1721301 said:
    The Dark Knight is an awesome flick.
    That it is. I just got done watching it with another friend who hadn't seen it yet. THIS is what Batman was always meant to be! Batman Begins was the reset button that the Batman series so badly needed to get out of the cartoon-turned-movie mentality. The dark humor, plot twists, and situations you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy all work together to build a masterpiece of a movie. It's truly a shame that Heath Ledger is no longer with us as he portrayed the Joker in the demented way that he should have been all along. His performance shines above all else in the movie, though Christian Bale plays a great Batman (even with the over-the-top growl in his voice) and Aaron Eckhart nails the twisted chance-driven character of Two-Face. I hope that Christopher Nolan continues to write and direct Batman movies in this vein in honor of Ledger, and that we see his take on other characters from the Batman universe. 5 out of 5, and the best Batman movie yet.
  • jacobB12`jacobB12` Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    Pink floyd's the wall
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited December 2008
    I just saw the Incredible Hulk. I was pleasantly surprised but damn, Liv Tyler cannot act.
  • bmcorrierbmcorrier Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    The Spirit.

Honestly, it is not a great movie. It was some quirky and funny one liners, and some amazingly hot actresses. Eva Mendez and Scarlett Johanson are gorgeous in it, along with some other very attractive females. But...unfortunately the one liners and the actresses do not save the movie. The movie is 90% dialogue, and very boring dialogue at that. The storyline is fairly hard to follow, and the conversations are very cheesy and corny. No one really knows who Gabriel Macht is anyway. I had 8 people walk out of the show I was at. Sin City was so much better. I work at a large movie theater too, and I have asked many people who came out of it the past 3 days, and most disliked it. The movie is a flop, and I wouldn't recommend people going to see it.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited December 2008
    ^ Good to know~ I figured from the reviews it wasn't very good. Wasn't it also PG-13? I wonder why ... Sin City was R

I saw Ice Age 2 earlier today. It was really good, but I didn't like the ending.
    edited January 2009
    I saw The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly again yesterday for the millionth time~
    I love that movie so much.

In the middle of Monster right now~
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited January 2009
    Just saw "Burn After Reading" at the cheap seats tonight. Didn't much care for it, not my kind of humor.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Ok, so where to start..I guess I'll do a quick rundown in a sentence or two from my holiday break:

Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): absolutely beautiful. Fincher is in my top 3 directors of all-time and it's great to see him getting the credit he deserves. Was worried about 2:47 runtime, but as the movie was ending, there was so much more I wanted, I could have been happy with a 4:00 runtime.

Doubt (2008): Had heard about the play for a number of years so was curious. It had great moments from PS Hoffman and Streep, but I can't watch a scene with Amy Adams and not get distracted by how damn perky she is in everything!. Kind of annoys me. Overall, solid flick worth seeing.

Valkyrie (2008): I've always been a big fan of Christopher McQuarrie, and this put him right up towards the top of my Favorite Writers list. Singer's direction and the amazing ensemble cast (yes, even Tom Cruise) shed light on one of the greatest WWII stories ever told. Was very satisfied by it.

Duel (1971): Spielberg's first big hurrah to the world. This being the first time I had seen it, have to admit, was a little ruined for me. Still enjoyable to watch, but knowing Spielberg's life history and seeing crappy remakes like Joyride kind of ruined the overall experience. Would love to know what it was like to watch on tv during it's debut in '71.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968): This was the first time I had ever watched this movie from beginning to end, and it almost detracted the experience for me. Watching scenes here and there make it tolerable and fun to watch, but watching all 2:40 (I watched the premeire cut) in a row is a workout...a drug-inducing, trippy, workout.

Poltergeist (1982): Again, first time watching from beginning to end in one sitting. This one, however, stood up. Whether in short bursts or the full length film, this is just a classic horror film.

Pope of Greenwich Village (1984): Being born in '84 and not getting seriously into movies until the late 90's, I had always heard stories about how great Mickey Rourke was supposed to be, but all I had to go on was his "meh" movies before Sin City. After watching PoGV, I know now why he was dubbed the "next De Niro". Great performances by both him and Eric Roberts as lovable mob "wannabe's" try to make it big with a huge score.

The Walking Dead (1936): Absolutely LOVED this movie! Boris Karloff's stare to me is still one of the most frightening images in film history, and here he uses it to take out a bunch of rackateers! As a man who was set-up and wrongfully executed, he is brought back to life in a "Frankenstein-ian" manner so that he can seek out revenge on those that put him in the chair. Absolutely brilliant work by Karloff and this photo should tell you how terrifying Karloff is!

So there it is, my reviews from the past week. I got through about 10 hours of my DVR and saw 3 flicks in theaters. Gotta love holidays!

Edit: Knew I forgot one, and mentioning a greasy pork sandwich in an ashtray just reminded me of it!
    Weird Science (1985): As a kid, I only saw bits and pieces of this, realized it wasn't as good as The Goonies and moved on. Finally watched it all the way through this week and while it still didn't wow me, I will concede it's a solid Hughes flick and better than what I remembered. And of course, Kelly LeBrock...purrrrr.
    edited January 2009
    ^ I've always loved Duel~ too bad it was made for TV~ I wonder how it would have done were it released in theaters.

So Waltz for Bashir won the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film.
    Man I really want to see it so bad~

Last film I saw was Monster. It was seriously hard to believe that that was Charlize Theron.
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Watched The man who wasn't there last night, not sure if it's a remake or what, stars billy bob thornton and is a black and white flick, pretty good actually.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Got around to watching The Fly this weekend. It always freaked me out as a kid, so I always avoided it, then just lost track and never caught it until it was on AMC the other night.

I might be watching a LOT of movies coming up, since I have roughly 80 hours of DVR'd movies that just keep piling up, and if I decide to upgrade to Dish HD, then I'm going to have to get a new box, meaning I will lose all my movies! :eek:
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited January 2009
    I watched the first Hellboy last night. Awesomeness.
  • tims1491tims1491 Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    I went to go see Valkyrie the other day, it was a pretty good movie.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    In the past week or so, have watched: Garden State, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Ressurrection, The Tracey Fragments, Pi, Ghost World, X Men, X-2, X-3.

I also watched a few series of the X-Men cartoon. If I'm not online, I'm watching something, although I haven't seen enough films recently.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I recently have seen the Pursuit of Happyness and John Q. Both were great, but I didn't agree with the message at the end of John Q, not to get into politics.
    edited January 2009
    I just saw In Bruges. It was a really funny crime drama, kind of like a Coen brothers film.
    I loved Colin Farrell in it~ definitely deserved the Best Actor Golden Globe.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I saw Eagle Eye and Righteous Kill the other night at work.

Eagle Eye was good although not anything new it did everything right.

Righteous Kill had great acting and a nice plot....but something about it was off, the script, the pacing. It was just too slow.
  • JonBobDenverJonBobDenver Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Since 12/26/08 I've watched the following:

First Blood - Blu ray
    First Blood II - Blu ray
    First Blood III - Blu ray
    Star Wars (the one that everyone calls episode IV) - DVD
    Lara Croft - Blu ray
    Rambo - Blu ray
    The Forbidden Kingdom - Blu ray
    The Bank Job - Blu ray
    Band of Brothers - Blu ray
    Animal House - HD DVD
    The Ruins - Blu ray
    The Who at Kilburn - Blu ray
    Cloverfield - Blu ray
    The Matrix - HD DVD
    The Matrix Reloaded - HD DVD
    The Matrix - Revolutions - HD DVD
    War - Blu ray
    Sleepy Hollow - Blu ray
    The Eye - Blu ray
    edited January 2009
    JonBobDenver;1808355 said:
    Since 12/26/08 I've watched the following:

First Blood - Blu ray
    First Blood II - Blu ray
    First Blood III - Blu ray
    Star Wars (the one that everyone calls episode IV) - DVD
    Lara Croft - Blu ray
    Rambo - Blu ray
    The Forbidden Kingdom - Blu ray
    The Bank Job - Blu ray
    Band of Brothers - Blu ray
    Animal House - HD DVD
    The Ruins - Blu ray
    The Who at Kilburn - Blu ray
    Cloverfield - Blu ray
    The Matrix - HD DVD
    The Matrix Reloaded - HD DVD
    The Matrix - Revolutions - HD DVD
    War - Blu ray
    Sleepy Hollow - Blu ray
    The Eye - Blu ray
    Hey I've got the Matrix Trilogy on HD DVD too! And the Bourne Trilogy. I watched them both on back-to-back weekends. It was an amazing way to spend two Saturdays, lol
  • JonBobDenverJonBobDenver Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    iamtheddrman;1808457 said:
    Hey I've got the Matrix Trilogy on HD DVD too! And the Bourne Trilogy. I watched them both on back-to-back weekends. It was an amazing way to spend two Saturdays, lol
    I still need Bourne Ultimatum...haven't seen it yet. I could watch movies all day, if people would let me. They are even better in Hi Def!
    edited January 2009
    DeepDiscount and Amazon both have it. DeepDiscount has it pretty dang cheap most of the time
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Caught Defiance last night. There's a ton of hubbub over historical gaffes and the lack of referencing the possibility that the Bielski brothers may have been involved in unsavory mass murders, but it worked rather well in spite of that. The combo of Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber and Jamie Bell makes it some fascinating stuff. Great Lithuanian locales too. The beauty of the forest scenery (and some of the levity in the dialogue) helped offset the inherent bleakness of the story. Surprisingly strong film for Edward "Meh" Zwick.

Before that I caught The Unborn, and despite having Gary Oldman in the cast the thing just couldn't stay afloat. I was hoping David Goyer would pull out something a little smarter than your average January horror movie fare, but the best he can do is throw little idea bombs around without tying them together or having them meaningfully impact the story. And the twist at the end was just horrid. Not only did it invalidate the motivations of the villain throughout the rest of the film, but it presented a concept that just about everybody was already was expecting from the moment they saw the trailer. It's like calling a movie Star Wars and then waiting until the final reel to say "Surprise! The whole movie took place in space! Betcha didn't see that coming!" Poop city.
  • LankanLatinoLankanLatino Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    tims1491;1805480 said:
    I went to go see Valkyrie the other day, it was a pretty good movie.
    ^ this
  • metalhead27metalhead27 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I watched the Matrix trilogy a couple of Saturdays ago (I don't care what anyone says, I enjoy all 3 films pretty much equallyand for the same reasons). Saw Doubt in theaters last weekend. Good old fashioned talking heads film I recommend. A bit ant-climatic but pays off for the very last couple of minutes. Good 8/10 rating.
  • DJFire_CFRDJFire_CFR Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Yes man: Not one his best comedy films, but it was pretty good..

Seven Pounds: uhh.. was confusing for me at first, but then I figured out his plan lol

Righteous Kill: Robert De Niro and Al Pacino in the same movie!!! IT doesnt get any better than that!!!
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited January 2009
    I watched Gran Torino last week, it was surprisingly funny, and was time well spent.

I'm going to see Defiance today (I think) so we'll see what happens with that.