What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• spheresphere Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Max Payne.

It was bad-ass.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone seen The Diving Bell and The Butterfly? What an amazing movie that was. I've never seen a movie with a story told like that. It was absolutely beautiful in terms of cinematography as well~ if you have the chance to see it, I highly recommend it
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Role Models.

Kicked ass.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited November 2008
    Caught "Get Smart" last night at the cheap seats. It was actually a lot better than the previews made it look. My fianc
  • spheresphere Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Watching Borat tonight...

*waits for it*
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited November 2008
    sphere;1553614 said:
    Watching Borat tonight...

*waits for it*
    Waits for what?
    In Kazakhstan we have many hobbies: disco dancing, archery, rape, and table tennis.
  • Firepenguin99Firepenguin99 Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Rarely go to the movies, so the last thing I saw was Iron Man. It was good enough to not need the whole comic book tie gimmick. It had a good balance of the serious segments, the fights and the great sense of humor Tony has. I also realized that I'm too obsessed with figuring things out when I spent a minute or so during the first flight over L.A. trying to figure out his MPH when they briefly had his speed in Mach.:rolleyes: 58 mph doesn't seem fast enough for him to fly, imo.
    edited November 2008
    Ultralights fly about 35 mph, and they're only prop driven.
    Not nearly fast enough to escape my wrath.
  • Firepenguin99Firepenguin99 Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    hawkofva;1553763 said:
    Ultralights fly about 35 mph, and they're only prop driven.
    Not nearly fast enough to escape my wrath.
    Didn't know that.
    edited November 2008
    Firepenguin99;1557207 said:
    Didn't know that.
    Flight Simulator. :D
    So I can practice for my imminent invasion of Earth.
  • The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    American Gangster

It was just on HBO
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    The Shining and American Wilderness.
    edited November 2008
    DarkSide247;1557313 said:
    The Shining and American Wilderness.
    The_Wurm;1557272 said:
    American Gangster
    It was just on HBO
    C'mon guys! You have to tell us what you thought!

The Shining is one of my favorite horror movies. Still manages to creep me out sometimes. American Gangster was really good too. I haven't heard of American Wilderness though
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    omg, watching (or trying not to watch) Sweeney Todd atm, I'm not anti-musical or anything and I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan, but this pos is almost unbearable. Tim burton hasn't done a good movie since beatleguese, he needs to give it up already.
    edited November 2008
    trench762;1557757 said:
    Tim burton hasn't done a good movie since beatleguese, he needs to give it up already.
    Lol, so Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow were bad? (it's Beetlejuice btw) ... and you're not including Nightmare Before Christmas right, since that wasn't directed by Burton. Cause if you were ... wow

I have Sweeney Todd recorded, haven't gotten around to watching it though. Have you seen Big Fish? I wanna see that now~
    edited November 2008
    was big fish done by burton? If it was I take back what I said, edward scissorhands and sleepy hollow were both kinda cool, but not really something I would re-watch. I guess it is beetlejuice, confusing though b/c in the movie it was spelled beatleguese. And yeah I was counting the nightmare b4 christmas and corpse bride, I think nightmare was way overrated. It's basically a goth kids movie.
    edited November 2008
    The star is spelled as Betelgeuse, the crazy ghost is Beetlejuice.
    Your death is spelled "chalupa".
  • EerifEerif Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Tim Burton is really on and off for me. I really liked Batman, Batman Returns and Big Fish, but Sweeny Todd and his remakes of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Planet of the Apes were terrible. Everything else sort of falls in between (yes, even Edward Scissorhands, I upset just about every chick I know).

Movies I have watched today were Hellboy 2, Tropic Thunder and Lawrence of Arabia.

I had to watch the latter to make up for the total unfunnyness of Tropic Thunder. Maybe I just couldn't get into the humor of the movie.
    edited November 2008
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    just got done watching American History X.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2008
    Eerif;1561402 said:
    Tim Burton is really on and off for me. I really liked Batman, Batman Returns and Big Fish, but Sweeny Todd and his remakes of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Planet of the Apes were terrible. Everything else sort of falls in between (yes, even Edward Scissorhands, I upset just about every chick I know).

Movies I have watched today were Hellboy 2, Tropic Thunder and Lawrence of Arabia.

I had to watch the latter to make up for the total unfunnyness of Tropic Thunder. Maybe I just couldn't get into the humor of the movie.
    you didnt think the fake trailers at the beginning were funny?
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I watch a ton of movies. I have a DVD/Blu-ray/HD DVD collection well beyond 600. I don't know the exact count anymore. This'll be a fun thread to participate in. ;)

My girlfriend had me watch Heathers with her and some friends for the first time tonight. A cult-classic black comedy from the late 80's starring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater.

Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that it's one of those movies that you can only really describe as "one of those movies." I enjoyed it, though.

"F*** me gently with a chainsaw."
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Cubecubed;1561471 said:
    just got done watching American History X.
    ****SPOILERS****

(Highlight to read)

The curb stomp is the single most cringe-inducing, bone-chilling moments in cinematic history. Just hearing his teeth scrape against the cement as he slowly lowers his mouth to the curb...

*shudders*

****END SPOILERS****

That said, it's also one of my absolute favorite movies. Edward Norton is such a brilliant actor.
    edited November 2008
    lol, there is a video on you tube called f'd up sh&* maybe volume 3, with a real curb stomping, one of my friends watched it and said he can't get the image out of his head. Dug the way you did the highlight to read, never thought of that. Heathers is a good movie too, haven't seen that in a while. Just got done watching Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon, it was suprisingly good. Not awesome, but good.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited November 2008
    I was watching Final Fantasy 7:Advent Children on Saturday. It actually didn't turn out bad as I though it might turn. The voice acting was somewhat awkward on the Remnants, but then again that might be the point that speech is somewhat choppy. Overall the voice actors that were chosen for the main team matched up decently.(Mena Suvari did a much better job for Aeris than I thought anyone was going to do for her). I give the movie a 7/10.
  • culturedogculturedog Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    On Saturday I saw a twisted faux-propagandist comedy called The Juche Idea from this crazed Buffalo NY filmmaker Jim Finn. It's based on the true story of Kim Jong-Il kidnapping filmmakers and forcing them to make pro-North Korean 'art'.

And yesterday I went to see My Name Is Bruce, a sorta spin on the old comedy classic They Call Me Bruce. It stars Bruce Campbell as... Bruce Campbell! He plays a hard-drinking, womanizing version of himself who is forced to help the small Oregon town of Gold Lick defeat an undead Chinese demon that loves bean curd.

The local kid who unleashes the beast is so in love with Evil Dead films that he believes Campbell can actually defeat evil forces in real life as well. Really fun stuff directed by Bruce himself, with a ton of cool cameos from the Evil Dead universe.

After the screening Bruce was on hand to do a roughly half-hour Q&A session. I asked him if he was ever tempted to "touch Pete's piece" during the Brisco County years.

As for Tim Burton, I really enjoyed Sweeney Todd and find I like it even more with each viewing. And Edward Scissorhands is an outright masterpiece - along with Ed Wood and Big Fish, it's his best work.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I saw Changeling over the weekend, and boy...was that ever uplifting!!

I swear at least 4 different couples left the theater throughout the movie because the girl/woman couldn't stop crying. Pretty much every person that walked out with me during the credits all said "I had NO idea it was THAT disturbing!!" While I'll admit the previews are a little misleading, I can't for the life of me figure out what those people thought the movie was going to be. Even the girl I went with had some clue, she still cried a lot, but still, she knew it was coming.

Culturedog: on a 1-10 for My Name is Bruce, what you got? That's one I was kind of giddy for when I first heard about it last year, but I know I'm going to have to wait til the DVD release.
    edited November 2008
    sweet-t310;1561941 said:
    I saw Changeling over the weekend, and boy...was that ever uplifting!!

I swear at least 4 different couples left the theater throughout the movie because the girl/woman couldn't stop crying. Pretty much every person that walked out with me during the credits all said "I had NO idea it was THAT disturbing!!" While I'll admit the previews are a little misleading, I can't for the life of me figure out what those people thought the movie was going to be. Even the girl I went with had some clue, she still cried a lot, but still, she knew it was coming.

Culturedog: on a 1-10 for My Name is Bruce, what you got? That's one I was kind of giddy for when I first heard about it last year, but I know I'm going to have to wait til the DVD release.
    I really liked Changeling. It was a bit more dark and intense than I expected, but like you said - I knew it wasn't going to be a fluffy, cuddly movie. Plus, anyone who's seen Mystic River knows Clint doesn't mind putting his characters through hell.

I hear alot of complaints that it has too many endings, but I thought that reflected how real life doesn't always offer easy solutions or wrap things up in a pretty bow. Solid acting, and I really felt that Clint made the time period come alive.

Back to the Bruce, as a film itself I'm sure it's only a 6 or so, but on the cult/fun scale it shoots right up to a 9. It's way more entertaining than The Man With The Screaming Brain, and it chugs along faster than Bubba Ho-Tep. And for Evil Dead fans, it's an absolute must see!
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    culturedog;1561968 said:
    I hear alot of complaints that it has too many endings, but I thought that reflected how real life doesn't always offer easy solutions or wrap things up in a pretty bow. Solid acting, and I really felt that Clint made the time period come alive.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Its runtime is 2:21, but it felt like 4 hours because you'd see a point where you think the movie is ending, then all of the sudden you're back in the movie and watching for another 20 minutes to see another ending...then you go BACK to the movie. Just the anticipation of the freaking credits was enough to keep me on the edge of my seat!!

It's currently #9 out of the 15 movies I've seen in 2008 (I'm picky as to what movies I see).

But did get to see the full Curious Case of Benjamin Button trailer on the big screen and that was fantastic!
    edited November 2008
    sweet-t310;1561986 said:
    But did get to see the full Curious Case of Benjamin Button trailer on the big screen and that was fantastic!
    Can't wait for more Fincher!!!

I forgot one other flick I watched over the weekend - saw Less Than Zero (for the ten-zillionth time) on Universal HD. The older I get, the more it freaks me out because Robert Downey Jr.'s character Julian reminds me of one of my best friends growing up.

Love the music from it too. I have the s/t album, but still wish the actual score would get released someday. The film looked great in HD - lots of intense colors and garish 80s fashions.