What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    Finally got around to Straight Out Of Compton. And it was really good. Amazing how much Cube's kid looks like him.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

BachiG said:

Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 - I should have trusted my gut and never watched this. I thought the first sucked, completely skipped Catching Fire and for whatever reason wasted 2+ hours of my life watching this last night... I don't get whatever the majority see in this series (never read the books, maybe something there?)...

Not really much more in the books. People just overhyped really bad writing IMO (Twilight is another good example)
    The books manage to turn the end of every chapter into a cliffhanger à la 24. And the first-person narrative helped out a lot, too.

Saw Hidden Figures last night. Looking forward to its home video release, but I walked away thinking if Aldis Hodge and Janelle Monáe really had kids they would be too much sexy for this world to handle.
  • Just recently saw "Logan". Really good film and oddly a tear jerker superhero film.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    Lion was a very well made, moving drama with great acting.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    The Accountant 6/10 - Basically an Autistic John Wick. Not terrible.

Passengers 6/10 - A little slow, but not too terrible. Jennifer Lawrence doesn't really do anything for me, so I wasn't really that impressed, but overall not terrible either. Robot Bartender is the bee's knees.

Deepwater Horizon 7/10 - Peter Berg makes good films, and this was another good film. Not Outstanding, but a good look into the whole event which led to that massive gulf spill back in 2010... and that Kate Hudson has a cute face.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    "Justin Timberlake + the Tennessee Kids", on Netflix, directed by Jonathan Demme.

Do I own any JT albums? No. But I've paid .99 for one of his songs, and I have found him charming and charismatic when he's on SNL. This is a solid concert film, I was fully entertained, but mostly it made me want to watch "Stop Making Sense" (also directed by Jonathan Demme).

It's the last show on a 2-year concert tour, from the MGM in Las Vegas. The show includes many talented musicians and dancers, and you get to meet a few of them at the beginning of the movie. Dude knows how to work a crowd and he can definitely sing well (though a few of his backup singers are even more technically skilled). Amazing set, you get to see footage of the massive work crew putting it together while the credits roll.
    Mascots - another great Christopher Guest mockumentery. And once again, Fred Willard steals every scene he's in.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Catching up with my 2015 Oscar's contenders this weekend:

The Revenant - 7/10: Interesting, but too long. Definitely gotta give it up to Leonard DiCaprio though for doing his part in "becoming the character"... can see why he won the Academy Award for best actor. I rank it up there with Tom Hanks' in his role from Cast Away. Also, thought it was pretty gory, until the next night when we watched...

The Hateful Eight - 7.5/10: Another classically over-the-top gory and violent Quinten Tarantino flick. So over the top it was comical... but I loved it. My wife, not so much.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 13
    Pup Star

So a friend and I regularly watch garbage films to make fun of them and have a good time. We came across this film, from the studio that made such movies as Air Bud, expecting it to be hilarious garbage. Turns out... it's actually quite good and surprisingly deep...?

The movie is essentially about a singing competition, but with dogs. This sounds like a dreadful premise only throwaway straight-to-DVD movies would have, but then this movie throws a curveball and reveals that the dogs are made intelligent thanks to the help of mind-altering dog treats that give them the ability to speak. From there it throws around quite a lot of strangely philosophical and even dystopian questions, such as the ethics of dog pounds when dogs are intelligent and can communicate literally as humans do, and how these intelligent, literally-humanlike dogs are still treated as secondary to humans. None of this is intentional, mind, but it's certainly much more interesting than I expected it to be. Add on top a plot about a couple of dogs being chased by a dog catcher and the bounty hunter dog he hires, as well as a revenge subplot involving two dog musicians, and you've got one hell of a surprisingly interesting film.

Of course, it's got a lot of the same flaws as other talking dog movies. A lot of it is light fluff that would make even the youngest kids roll their eyes, most of the music is pretty bland (except for one hilariously bad rap song from a dog voiced by Juicy J of all people) and a lot of characters are straight-up archetypes (they have an Indian Hindu stereotype dog, for example). But the world built around the film is actually really fascinating (or at least to me, who is interested in weird family films with strangely complex or dark elements), and for that I have to give it credit for actually keeping me invested.

So if you're interested in some weird stuff, that actually raises interesting questions (even if by accident), then I highly recommend this film. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you don't mind sitting through some of the typical dog movie crap, there's some really interesting stuff here, and I can't help but feel pleasantly surprised by this.

8/10
  • Finally got around to see Hidden Figures. It was a very good film.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    got the 25th anniversary edition of "A League Of Their Own". still a great movie and in the "what might have been" vein, Paul Newman was the original choice for Jimmy Dugan, until Tom Hanks convinced Penny Marshall he could look washed-up enough for the part.

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I saw "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" yesterday, and despite it already being labeled as the "first flop of summer" by Saturday morning, my wife and I enjoyed it well enough. Kinda reminded me of "A Knight's Tale" without the killer music. Now you might think "A Knight's Tale without the killer music would be tEh sUx0r!" But I disagree. It isn't nearly as good AKT since it doesn't have the killer music, but it wasn't awful.

I do think Ragnar Lothbrook would've been a much better King Arthur than Jax Teller was.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    I bet it also didn't have Alan Tudyk.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    When I saw the title "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword," for some reason my mind instantly gravitated towards a low-budget, religious movie called "Pendragon: Sword of His Father."

It was made by a studio consisting of one family, including the actors. So the fact that there's a romance subplot in this is incredibly icky and gross, even if they don't kiss, because the actors for Arthur and Wenneveria are cousins. The movie itself is laughably low-budget, consisting of only a few sets and with acting about as wooden as you'd expect from a glorified home movie. The Christian overtones are surprisingly light, only consisting of an out-of-nowhere speech about God in the beginning, and some sort of Christian moral at the end (I forget, it's been a few years since I've seen this).

...anyways thought that'd be a fun conversation piece. I'll be moving on now...
    Burns Family Studio...

Smithers, were they booing or saying boo-urns?
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Speaking of religious movies... A friend of mine thought it'd be a good idea for me to watch Kirk Cameron's "Saving Christmas" with them. I'm not going into specifics (for obvious reasons), but it is a true disasterpiece. There's no other word for it, and I'd recommend it for anyone wanting to die a little more inside, or watch a comedy, unless you're the target audience for it...
  • Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. II the other day. It was an amazing film. That opening credits scene was the best one in a movie since Deadpool.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Nightcrawler. Fantastic. I knew the premise, but I wasn't aware of Lou's quirk. Very refreshing and enjoyable film.