What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• razor63razor63 Unsigned

The score of Dunkirk plays a significant role in maintaining that sense of constant tension, it's brilliant.

When Hans Zimmer is on form, he can make some amazing music. When he's not, he's scoring such masterpieces as The Boss Baby or Cool Runnings.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Atomic Blonde opened today and I just finished an IMAX showing.

Wow. I mean, wow. That is one gorgeous movie.
    Forgot to post, so I'll do it now.

I saw The Big Sick last week, and damn, that was a really good movie. The jokes were amusing, the cast were great, the drama was non-melodramatic, and so on. Kumail Nanjiani was the stand-out, but there was a nice supporting turn from Aidy Bryant too. 8/10.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    razor63 said:

Forgot to post, so I'll do it now.

I saw The Big Sick last week, and damn, that was a really good movie. The jokes were amusing, the cast were great, the drama was non-melodramatic, and so on. Kumail Nanjiani was the stand-out, but there was a nice supporting turn from Aidy Bryant too. 8/10.

my wife went to see it also - she said she really liked it, but the kicker was that Kumail and his wife, Emily Gordon came out after the movie for a Q&A session! Like, a random friday - a couple weeks after it came out.

and I thought that was cool. Not the premier, not the opening week, just a random show at the Pacific Theaters at the Grove.
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited August 21
    I just saw "Annabelle: Creation" the other week. I'm a huge horror fan, and I've tried to resist movies like "The Conjuring" and "Paranormal Activity" series, but this movie impressed me. I did give in and see "The Conjuring 2" and watched the original "Annabelle" from my brother's recommendation, but this is definitely my favorite so far. I do recommend myself watching those first, because this connects everything together. I must also warn that this is by far the most "rated R" of the series. While the concept of course is not original, and some scenes were reminiscent of "Pet Sematary", "Poltergeist" and "The Excorcist", this is definitely my favorite horror film of the year. I thought the way they connect the events in "The Conjuring" series was clever and seamless, and actually has me excited to see "The Nun". The suspense and effects were satisfying and it definitely brought back some childhood fears growing up in the Catholic Church. It still incorporates just enough facts of the real Annabelle story to make an exciting plot. I think that's my only issue with "The Conjuring" movies in general, to me, the actual Annabelle doll is more frightening, but that's because it looks so much more innocent. The doll in this one is definitely the creepiest it has ever been though. I emphasize, do not bring children to this movie!
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited August 21

razor63 said:

razor63 said:

Heh, I really do it because I'm a film student who needs to have a broad understanding of what's relevant in cinema. Occasionally, very occasionally, I do enjoy the odd film. Captain America: Civil War, Wonder Woman, Batman Begins. I've seen a fair few more superhero films than these, but they're the ones I remember enjoying.

How'd you feel about Logan?
    I didn't see it, for some reason, but I've heard decent things about it. I'll pick up the DVD when I have free space in my watchlist, I think.
    Given which movies you liked, I feel like you'd enjoy it. I enjoy most of the movies in the MCU*, but I enjoy them as comic-book movies. Logan was the first film since Dark Knight that I enjoyed as a film first and a comic-book movie second. Classic tale, but told well. Felt a lot like The Last of Us. Film also took heavy inspiration from Shane, which is referenced multiple times in the movie.

* Yes, I know the X-Men films are separate, but I can't say that I enjoy most comic-book films.
    Let me tell you, I've been a fan of X-Men for more than 20 years, so I can be picky, but I absolutely loved "Logan". After being disappointed in "Apocalypse", I was impressed with this movie. There's just enough references for a fan like me to recognize and the acting by the main cast is top-notch. The little girl playing Laura really personifies a young X-23. And some more trivia a lot of people probably wouldn't recognize, the energy drink in the film comes from the animated series "X-Men: Evolution". It was a drink that was poisonous to mutants, referenced briefly at the end of the movie when they infer additives in the food contributed to mutantkind's extinction. (Now though, I'm dying to see a movie version of Nathaniel Essex, aka "Sinister"!) Oh, also you must see the "Deadpool 2" teaser! Note on the phone booth, "Nathan Summers is cumming", god, I love Ryan Reynolds depiction of the character! Can't wait 'til next year!

Though I'm not as well versed in the other MCU characters, I also recommend "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2" and "Spider-Man: Homecoming". "GOTG2" is my favorite MCU film overall, and the extra scenes after the credits are definitely worth seeing. From my previous knowledge of the comic-book "Infinity Wars", that first scene is setting up the story, and obviously "GOTG3". Look for teenage Groot! :D

razor63 said:

razor63 said:

Heh, I really do it because I'm a film student who needs to have a broad understanding of what's relevant in cinema. Occasionally, very occasionally, I do enjoy the odd film. Captain America: Civil War, Wonder Woman, Batman Begins. I've seen a fair few more superhero films than these, but they're the ones I remember enjoying.

How'd you feel about Logan?
    I didn't see it, for some reason, but I've heard decent things about it. I'll pick up the DVD when I have free space in my watchlist, I think.
    Given which movies you liked, I feel like you'd enjoy it. I enjoy most of the movies in the MCU*, but I enjoy them as comic-book movies. Logan was the first film since Dark Knight that I enjoyed as a film first and a comic-book movie second. Classic tale, but told well. Felt a lot like The Last of Us. Film also took heavy inspiration from Shane, which is referenced multiple times in the movie.

* Yes, I know the X-Men films are separate, but I can't say that I enjoy most comic-book films.
    Let me tell you, I've been a fan of X-Men for more than 20 years, so I can be picky, but I absolutely loved "Logan". After being disappointed in "Apocalypse", I was impressed with this movie. There's just enough references for a fan like me to recognize and the acting by the main cast is top-notch. The little girl playing Laura really personifies a young X-23. And some more trivia a lot of people probably wouldn't recognize, the energy drink in the film comes from the animated series "X-Men: Evolution". It was a drink that was poisonous to mutants, referenced briefly at the end of the movie when they infer additives in the food contributed to mutantkind's extinction. (Now though, I'm dying to see a movie version of Nathaniel Essex, aka "Sinister"!) Oh, also you must see the "Deadpool 2" teaser! Note on the phone booth, "Nathan Summers is cumming", god, I love Ryan Reynolds depiction of the character! Can't wait 'til next year!

Though I'm not as well versed in the other MCU characters, I also recommend "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2" and "Spider-Man: Homecoming". "GOTG2" is my favorite MCU film overall, and the extra scenes after the credits are definitely worth seeing. From my previous knowledge of the comic-book "Infinity Wars", that first scene is setting up the story, and obviously "GOTG3". Look for teenage Groot! :D
    I saw both GOTG2 and SMH sometime after respective releases, and I thought GOTG2 was okay, but I despise the first, so it's an improvement. SMH however, I didn't like, but I'm just not a spiderman fan.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Rewatched Big Hero 6, forgot how good it was. Drunk Baymax is such a delight.
    razor63 said:

I saw both GOTG2 and SMH sometime after respective releases, and I thought GOTG2 was okay, but I despise the first, so it's an improvement.

my unpopular opinion: I did not enjoy GOTG2 as much as I did the first. It's like some executive said "just add Mountain Dew and make everything EXTREME!!" I will say that there were some actually touching moments and genuine emotion from the actors, so I will say it was better in that regard. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it and recommend it to people for a good time, it's just that I enjoyed the first more.

then again, I also need to re-watch it because I was significantly less sober at the time, and only capable of looking at the flashy CGI

it's very underrated! It's very good, probably one of my favorite animated Disney movies that isn't Pixar.

it's very underrated! It's very good, probably one of my favorite animated Disney movies that isn't Pixar.
    Coping with loss is a rare subject for a kids movie (especially one marketed as an action flick), but I thought they did a great job tackling it. Yeah, I'd say it's definitely up there among my favorite Disney movies. I've said it before, but I've been really happy with their 10s output so far. They were in such a rut for so long and it feels good that they've been making consistent quality again.
    edited August 26
    Went to see Logan Lucky. It was okay, as long as you don't really think about it, in any way. I'm disappointed in Soderbergh, he's made some good movies before (Side Effects etc.), but then again, he also made Full Frontal (not the great show with Samantha Bee, the movie with David Duchovny), and a bunch of crap, heh.
    It looks like a terrible movie with a great cast, which could make it enjoyable enough for me. I definitely wasn't planning on thinking too hard during it.

It looks like a terrible movie with a great cast, which could make it enjoyable enough for me. I definitely wasn't planning on thinking too hard during it.

That's basically hitting the nail on the head. The cast is mostly wasted, the script is mostly unfunny, the direction is mostly mediocre, everything is primarily garbage, but it could be enjoyable. I just don't think I enjoyed it, mwahaha.
    Good Dinosaur

Only Pixar film I hadn't seen yet (other than Cars 3). I'd say it's definitely their weakest original film (Cars 2 is definitely below it, probably Monsters University, maybe Finding Dory)

Background animations are stunning, but the story and delivery was just so unoriginal. It had beats shamelessly ripped from other movies. I'm fine with well-treaded tropes, but I want them at least presented well. Not a bad film per se, but I expect a lot more from them as a studio.
  • Went into The Hitman's Bodyguard looking forward to Ryan Reynolds and Sam Jackson bickering at each other for two hours, walked out with that and a Salma Hayek bar brawl and a dumb grin on my face.
  • LoopyChew said:

Went into The Hitman's Bodyguard looking forward to Ryan Reynolds and Sam Jackson bickering at each other for two hours, walked out with that and a Salma Hayek bar brawl and a dumb grin on my face.

Saw that movie recently. It definitely lived up to my role association description of "Deadpool and Nick Fury go on a joyride; hilarity ensues."
  • Watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Beautiful visuals and a wonderfully realized world serving a disjointed narrative. I'll probably pick it up on 4K.
  • I was hoping the expiration date on my movie pass being today meant I could cram one last show on it, but I ended up paying for Patti Cake$.

It was worth the money. It's a by-the-numbers underdog rising movie but it's charming as hell and the lead carries the role without a sweat, which when you're an Australian who has to rap with a Jersey accent is no small thing. The music is toe-tapping even outside the rap. If nothing I've said so far has turned you off it, give it a shot.
  • Went and saw IT.
    I'm a huge Stephen King fan (currently reading through his short stories and fell in love so quick)
    but I will say this movie is fantastic. It can't truly be compared to the old TV miniseries (as that had a low budget and different time period) but it was exactly what I needed to see.
    I can't stand the people complaining that it wasn't "Scary"...
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    I saw it today. I liked it. It felt a little too much like stranger things tho.
  • Over this weekend, I saw both mother! and Wind River.

mother! was the latest effort from Darren Aronofsky, and as with the previosu films of his I've seen (Black Swan, Pi, The Fountain, Requiem For a Dream) I enjoyed it. Now, it was a sight to behold as a standalone narrative piece, but it was just as interesting trying to figure out what the f**k it was all about. I have my ideas, but it's an ideal movie for analysis (I am a film student after all) whether you love it or hate it. 8/5/10.

Conversely, I did not enjoy Wind River much. Maybe it's because I don't usually like murder mysteries much, maybe it's because I thought it was lacking in character, maybe it's because it got increasingly ridiculous and contrived. It's probably a combination of the three. It's not the worst film I've ever seen, nor is it the one I've least enjoyed this year (Napping Princess shall forever hold that crown) but I can't say it was for me. 3/10.
  • topdrawer said:

I saw it today. I liked it. It felt a little too much like stranger things tho.

Well yeah, Stranger Things carries its Steven King influences on its shoulder, like a barge with a "Steven King influence" brass band and drum majorettes.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

Went and saw IT.
    I'm a huge Stephen King fan (currently reading through his short stories and fell in love so quick)
    but I will say this movie is fantastic. It can't truly be compared to the old TV miniseries (as that had a low budget and different time period) but it was exactly what I needed to see.

So should I go, or wait for streaming options? The mini-series was, IMHO, schizo: part 1 was pure awesome and part 2 was pure suck.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    I haven't seen it but most people are raving about it. This version is all the kid side of the story, if a sequel is made it'll be them as adults. (The novel and the Mini flipped back and forth)
  • I haven't seen it but most people are raving about it. This version is all the kid side of the story, if a sequel is made it'll be them as adults. (The novel and the Mini flipped back and forth)

A Sequel is being made, to finish the book. Already confirmed.

Went and saw IT.

So should I go, or wait for streaming options? The mini-series was, IMHO, schizo: part 1 was pure awesome and part 2 was pure suck.
    I say go see it. I wasn't impressed with the miniseries myself in general though. People who enjoyed the miniseries may not like the new movie because it follows the book a little more closely (they changed/removed some stuff which some is coming to part 2)

• Got my copy of The Big Sick, a movie the word “dramedy” was composed for. Great performances all around and both funny and touching. More the latter than the former.
    I got to see a cinematic rerelease of Tangled yesterday. It's one of my favorite movies of all time, but I never got to see it in a theater before. I had the whole place to myself, front and center, and I loved it!

Also, I was grinning so hard when I realized something that hadn't clicked before: Raps tells Flynn that when she makes a promise to someone, she never ever breaks that promise, which seems an odd claim with only Pascal & Gothel around, surely she'd be breaking a promise to the latter. Nope. She's as pedantic as I am. At the end of Mother Knows Best she promises to never ask to the leave the tower again. She never promised not to leave (and wouldn't have before the main plot either, she largely kept herself in, only even venturing the question at the start of the movie)
    Saw Blade Runner. Pretty faithful for a loose adaptation. Looking forward to 2049 later this week.
    edited October 12
    I saw the The Mummy* with Tom Cruise, and Spiderman: Homecoming.**

* You know, I don't mind Tom Cruise movies - hell, I have enjoyed all of his movies since Minority Report. Everything between Top Gun and the first Mission Impossible are not terrible, just 'meh' for me. Anyhow, I digress - The Mummy is not a bad movie! It's worth a rental for sure, and something I would call a good 'popcorn movie'. It's not winning any awards for being an outstanding movie for writing or moving performances, but it's entertaining and enjoyable. I loved the first two Brenden Fraser Mummy movies (Rachel Weisz helped a lot, too) but that was a different style of movie. I will forever regard those two goofy Mummy movies with fondness and memories of good times - but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the new Mummy movie (and Kickoff to the whole 'Dark Universe' that Universal is putting together). And Sofia Boutella is very striking to look at when she's all dolled up as 'Ahmanet'.

-- 7/10

** I liked Spiderman: Homecoming quite a lot. I've liked all the other Spiderman movies too, but for different reasons. The Toby Maguire movies were good because they were the first real comic book superhero movies that were done 'well' and were fun to see on the big screen - but still very comic book-y. The Andrew Garfield Spiderman films were good for their 'darker' take on Spiderman and his enemies, but also lost most of the quirky comic book charm that the Toby Maguire films had. I kind of feel like Homecoming had a nice mix of both. I was always accustomed to Peter being older and in college (or "University" for our international friends) but the dynamic of Peter trying to understand his Spiderman abilities at the same time as puberty already has proven entertaining in the film. And thank goodness Disney and Sony played nice so us fans could enjoy the integration into the MCU!

-- anyhow, 8.5/10

sorry for the lengthy Meat-Popsicle style post.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I GIVE THIS LENGTHY AND DETAILED POST 10/10

I still don't believe I would find the new Mummy to be entertaining but I'm glad to read that it's not impossible to do so, and if I stumble upon in on cable someday maybe I'll watch for a few minutes.

Spiderman: Homecoming is one of about 10 movies that came out that I really, really want to see but still haven't because I've been watching 3 hours of baseball just about every night since April. Hopefully that pattern ends in 2 weeks and not tonight [I'll be in Section 138 of Nationals Park].