What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• I've been able to snag preview passes to three movies this year: the 3 you mention above. What fine taste in movies you have, sir.
  • I've tried D-box twice (Battleship & Justice League), and I'm pretty sure it sucks. go I-Max
  • Is that the one where you get your seat rattled?
    The critics from "The Dissolve" were all complaining about their first experience with something like that. Was it TheButtKicker? Or is that the company that lets you install the effect at hom?
  • Is that the one where you get your seat rattled?
    The critics from "The Dissolve" were all complaining about their first experience with something like that. Was it TheButtKicker? Or is that the company that lets you install the effect at hom?

it's in theaters. your seat vibrates and sways around to the action on the screen. and when you look over a cliff, it tries to tilt forward and dump you off it.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    calloy said:

I've tried D-box twice (Battleship & Justice League), and I'm pretty sure it sucks. go I-Max

can we agree that Battleship was not nearly as bad of a movie as it was made out to be?

I like Peter Berg movies, and I enjoy the goofy popcorn action movies like Battleship.
  • it was okay. that's about the nicest thing I can say about it
    well, I am pretty sure my standards for movie enjoyment differ greatly from yours - you like "substance" whereas I just like blood and guts, and boobs and butts... and explosions.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited November 2017
    I haven't seen it yet*, but if Battleship had Blood, Guts, Boobs, *AND* Butts... its ad campaign greatly misrepresented it.

*yet:
  • Saw Justice League the other night. Oddly The Flash was the one stealing the show for me when watching it. They need to make a film about that character at some point.
  • I'm curious about Battleship because one of my best friends keeps wanting to show me the Thunderstruck sequence.

Since he's literally on the opposite side of the globe, it's a bit difficult.
    LoopyChew said:

I'm curious about Battleship because one of my best friends keeps wanting to show me the Thunderstruck sequence.

Since he's literally on the opposite side of the globe, it's a bit difficult.

I know that scene - it's a big moment. No screen share, SKYPE call, Facetime, or both press 'play' at the same time while on the phone?

you're a good friend for not watching it without him, though
  • Just haven’t had the ability to coordinate.

Also, I fell asleep during Justice League. Was I tired or is it really that boring?
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited December 2017
    The Shape of Water
    No spoilers. In fact I'm going to share basically nothing other than the look and feel of it.
    Required viewing if you are (or "used to be") a fan of Guillermo del Toro. Fantastic cinematography. Wonderful acting performances by Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon (what a foul creature!), and Richard Jenkins. Oh and Doug Jones, I'm so used to him playing the part of a fish-man that I almost failed to give him credit here.

The story? It's a bit ham-handed. But it's a fairy tale, it's supposed to have its themes spelled out in bold and underlined, right? Rated R for sexual content, graphic nudity, violence, and language.
  • calloy said:

I've tried D-box twice (Battleship & Justice League), and I'm pretty sure it sucks. go I-Max

can we agree that Battleship was not nearly as bad of a movie as it was made out to be?

I like Peter Berg movies, and I enjoy the goofy popcorn action movies like Battleship.
    I agree 100% on "Battleship". I commend the director and screenwriter for coming up with something, anything, even half-arse decent considering the constraints put upon them by the topic of a pretty simplistic board game.

While I admit that if you were watching "Generic Action Movie A", some of things they threw out would be laughable. But in the context of a Battleship movie I thought the way they introduced the pegs was practically brilliant. It's not Oscar Worthy, and it's not great cinema either, but I enjoyed it. If you've never seen it, go in with low expectations and give it a watch and allow yourself to be entertained.

calloy said:

I agree 100% on "Battleship". I commend the director and screenwriter for coming up with something, anything, even half-arse decent considering the constraints put upon them by the topic of a pretty simplistic board game.

While I admit that if you were watching "Generic Action Movie A", some of things they threw out would be laughable. But in the context of a Battleship movie I thought the way they introduced the pegs was practically brilliant. It's not Oscar Worthy, and it's not great cinema either, but I enjoyed it. If you've never seen it, go in with low expectations and give it a watch and allow yourself to be entertained.

• got my ticket to The Last Jedi for IMAX showing tomorrow afternoon and ordered my free (except for S&H) poster

• TLJ this weekend, probably Sunday.

I discovered that Swiss Netflix has the Bon Cop, Bad Cop movies, of which the first is basically the most Canadian buddy-cop movie in the world. I think it loses its effect if you don't know French, because some of the greatest scenes are the ones revolving around Québecois (one scene involves a coroner who speaks a dialect of Québecois that even natives have trouble understanding; another is a demonstration of how swearing works in Québecois), but even if you're not the kind of person who laughs at accents, it's pretty funny in how much it revels in its Canadianness. I'll have to watch the sequel (which came out over a decade later) soon.
    Kingsmen: The Golden Circle 6/10

some genuinely funny lines in that movie, and the action scenes were ... flashy, but it seemed like a big re-hash of the first movie.

worth a rental.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    The Last Jedi was quite good.
  • Went and saw Disney's "Coco" at the foo-foo theater today. It was really good, and my wife bawled her eyes out a couple of times.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2017
    Okay, TLJ was probably my favorite Star Wars movie. At least on par with Empire.

It was good enough that most of my popcorn, despite my parents’ attempt at relieving me of as much of it as they possibly could (because I’m a popcorn vacuum), managed to last through the first act (most of the time it's gone ten minutes in). The “reach out” scene had me laughing harder than maybe was appropriate. And the way they developed Kylo Ren into something beyond Emo Darth Vader was fantastic.

My primary concern at this point is that, even if they're working off a Rian Johnson treatment for Episode IX, and even though I don't think JJ is a bad filmmaker and I still perfectly enjoyed TFA when I rewatched it last week, it's going to be one hell of a landing to stick after that, particularly if they're already planning Episodes X-XII.

[EDIT: Eh, I'll move this paragraph over to the spoilers topic.]
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act

Went and saw Disney's "Coco" at the foo-foo theater today. It was really good, and my wife bawled her eyes out a couple of times.

is manolo in this one?
    edited December 2017
    I watched Pitch Perfect 3 last night, and it's basically there if you want to hang out with the cast one more time. Which I did, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Completely unnecessary but for some inspired moments, and whatever it's a Pitch Perfect movie and you already know if you're going to watch it or not.

I predict there will be a franchise à la Bring It On or American Pie in which up-and-coming actresses will continue the tradition direct to video.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I've been on an Awards Darlings Week blitz this week - past 3 nights have been "3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri", "Lady Bird", and "I Tonya". I expect to finally loop back to "Dunkirk" and "Get Out" this weekend.

While I wouldn't say I Tonya was the best of them, it was by far the one that most exceeded my expectations. It was hysterically funny, and as good as Margot Robbie's lead performance was, Alison Janney's supporting part as Harding's mother stole the show.

• rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    We went to Star Wars TLJ ....we had reserved seats in a fancy Theater. Funny, though because our reserved seats were supposed to be in the last row, ended up being in the front row. So we could almost see the hairs in the noses of the cast. Tickets were a gift, and so I can't really complain. We still had fun and very much enjoyed the movie. I would actually like to go to a regular theater, and watch it from the "real" back row. I I thought it was one of the better Star Wars movies I've seen in a long time. :smiley:
    I saw xXx: The Return of Xander Cage available for $10 on iTunes so I picked it up because I'm a sucker like that. It was pretty fun, but I think I would've liked it much better on the big screen. Also, I haven't watched State of the Union (the guy who directed Die Another Day being responsible for that one; it'd take a lot for me to forgive him) and I'm still not certain I want to after this one.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I finally went to see The Last Jedi, it looked cool but overall I really didn’t like it. What didn’t confuse me, bored the living daylights out of me. Flynn’s storyline was painfully pointless in everything he did. The animals ranged from trying too hard to be cute to why the hell are you milking a walrus!? There were contrived plot points and terrible charactarization, and overall I found myself wondering where the hell the movie was going. Adam Driver was the saving grace as he played a fantastically complex villain.

The greatest accomplishment for the movie is how they made essentially a car chase in space so incredibly dull.

1.) I tried to watch Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets ... I couldn't finish it - something about Dane DeHaan's deliver of his lines and (as shallow as it sounds) the actual sound of his voice was so grating, I couldn't hang. I might go back to it, as it was a promising entry into a genre that usually holds my attention (I even sat through and was entertained by that Jupiter Ascending movie, so I can hang with a lot of bad sc-fi). 6/10

2.) Dunkirk goooood movie! Visually, it was fantastic, and I love the dog-fighting sequences with Tom Hardy; that character's inclusion to the film was fantastic and showed the type of men that fought during the war. Not a tremendous amount of dialogue when compared to other big films, but still a lot of 'stuff' going on. Great cinematography, great sound effects and editing; overall, a great war movie with a focus on regular men with the courage of ten (and some with the courage of none), - 8.5/10
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

1.) I tried to watch Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets ... I couldn't finish it - something about Dane DeHaan's deliver of his lines and (as shallow as it sounds) the actual sound of his voice was so grating, I couldn't hang. I might go back to it, as it was a promising entry into a genre that usually holds my attention (I even sat through and was entertained by that Jupiter Ascending movie, so I can hang with a lot of bad sc-fi). 6/10

For no good reason whatsoever, I kinda liked that movie. That dude's delivery reminded me of something very specific and I found that funny, but since it's been a while I don't remember exactly what it was.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...

What? How do you give a movie you couldn’t even finish a 6/10? That makes Dunkirk only slightly better... Do you have to actually throw-up a little in your mouth to give a movie like a 5? What would it take to give a movie a 1 on your scale? It makes you poke your eyes out or jab pencils in your ears?