What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I've been able to snag preview passes to three movies this year: the 3 you mention above. What fine taste in movies you have, sir.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    I've tried D-box twice (Battleship & Justice League), and I'm pretty sure it sucks. go I-Max
    Is that the one where you get your seat rattled?
    The critics from "The Dissolve" were all complaining about their first experience with something like that. Was it TheButtKicker? Or is that the company that lets you install the effect at hom?
  • calloycalloy Unsigned

Is that the one where you get your seat rattled?
    The critics from "The Dissolve" were all complaining about their first experience with something like that. Was it TheButtKicker? Or is that the company that lets you install the effect at hom?

it's in theaters. your seat vibrates and sways around to the action on the screen. and when you look over a cliff, it tries to tilt forward and dump you off it.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    calloy said:

I've tried D-box twice (Battleship & Justice League), and I'm pretty sure it sucks. go I-Max

can we agree that Battleship was not nearly as bad of a movie as it was made out to be?

I like Peter Berg movies, and I enjoy the goofy popcorn action movies like Battleship.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    it was okay. that's about the nicest thing I can say about it
    well, I am pretty sure my standards for movie enjoyment differ greatly from yours - you like "substance" whereas I just like blood and guts, and boobs and butts... and explosions.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited November 30
    I haven't seen it yet*, but if Battleship had Blood, Guts, Boobs, *AND* Butts... its ad campaign greatly misrepresented it.

*yet:
  • Saw Justice League the other night. Oddly The Flash was the one stealing the show for me when watching it. They need to make a film about that character at some point.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    I'm curious about Battleship because one of my best friends keeps wanting to show me the Thunderstruck sequence.

Since he's literally on the opposite side of the globe, it's a bit difficult.
    LoopyChew said:

I'm curious about Battleship because one of my best friends keeps wanting to show me the Thunderstruck sequence.

Since he's literally on the opposite side of the globe, it's a bit difficult.

I know that scene - it's a big moment. No screen share, SKYPE call, Facetime, or both press 'play' at the same time while on the phone?

you're a good friend for not watching it without him, though
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Just haven’t had the ability to coordinate.

Also, I fell asleep during Justice League. Was I tired or is it really that boring?
    edited December 5
    The Shape of Water
    No spoilers. In fact I'm going to share basically nothing other than the look and feel of it.
    Required viewing if you are (or "used to be") a fan of Guillermo del Toro. Fantastic cinematography. Wonderful acting performances by Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon (what a foul creature!), and Richard Jenkins. Oh and Doug Jones, I'm so used to him playing the part of a fish-man that I almost failed to give him credit here.

The story? It's a bit ham-handed. But it's a fairy tale, it's supposed to have its themes spelled out in bold and underlined, right? Rated R for sexual content, graphic nudity, violence, and language.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

calloy said:

can we agree that Battleship was not nearly as bad of a movie as it was made out to be?

I like Peter Berg movies, and I enjoy the goofy popcorn action movies like Battleship.
    I agree 100% on "Battleship". I commend the director and screenwriter for coming up with something, anything, even half-arse decent considering the constraints put upon them by the topic of a pretty simplistic board game.

While I admit that if you were watching "Generic Action Movie A", some of things they threw out would be laughable. But in the context of a Battleship movie I thought the way they introduced the pegs was practically brilliant. It's not Oscar Worthy, and it's not great cinema either, but I enjoyed it. If you've never seen it, go in with low expectations and give it a watch and allow yourself to be entertained.

calloy said:

I agree 100% on "Battleship". I commend the director and screenwriter for coming up with something, anything, even half-arse decent considering the constraints put upon them by the topic of a pretty simplistic board game.

While I admit that if you were watching "Generic Action Movie A", some of things they threw out would be laughable. But in the context of a Battleship movie I thought the way they introduced the pegs was practically brilliant. It's not Oscar Worthy, and it's not great cinema either, but I enjoyed it. If you've never seen it, go in with low expectations and give it a watch and allow yourself to be entertained.

• calloycalloy Unsigned
    got my ticket to The Last Jedi for IMAX showing tomorrow afternoon and ordered my free (except for S&H) poster

• TLJ this weekend, probably Sunday.

I discovered that Swiss Netflix has the Bon Cop, Bad Cop movies, of which the first is basically the most Canadian buddy-cop movie in the world. I think it loses its effect if you don't know French, because some of the greatest scenes are the ones revolving around Québecois (one scene involves a coroner who speaks a dialect of Québecois that even natives have trouble understanding; another is a demonstration of how swearing works in Québecois), but even if you're not the kind of person who laughs at accents, it's pretty funny in how much it revels in its Canadianness. I'll have to watch the sequel (which came out over a decade later) soon.
    Kingsmen: The Golden Circle 6/10

some genuinely funny lines in that movie, and the action scenes were ... flashy, but it seemed like a big re-hash of the first movie.

worth a rental.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    The Last Jedi was quite good.