What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    I tried Zoolander 2. Gave up before the prologue was over. 2/10
  • Currently watching Cujo for the first time at a friends house (it always looked utterly stupid to me and didn’t want to waste my own money on it)
    It’s actually tolerable. Not great by any means but also not bad.
    A remake would probably help if they got better acting and effects
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

I tried Zoolander 2. Gave up before the prologue was over. 2/10

That was showing after New Year's here. My friends and I got bored of it super quick.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    BachiG said:

What? How do you give a movie you couldn’t even finish a 6/10? That makes Dunkirk only slightly better... Do you have to actually throw-up a little in your mouth to give a movie like a 5? What would it take to give a movie a 1 on your scale? It makes you poke your eyes out or jab pencils in your ears?

I don't know man, quit bustin my balls. The movie got a 6/10 because of the quality of effects and cinematography -it looked cool, and really the only ting to turn me off was the lead actor's voice. Everything else was fine and I know if it was anyone else, I'd have finished it.

Most theatrical releases will get at least a 5 or above on my scale - for example, Amy Schumer's Trainwreck is crap and gets a 5/10, but only because of the supporting cast (Bill Hader).

1994's Street Fighter is the type of movie that gets a rating like 4/10, because it was so poorly executed and just plain bad.

Robocop 3 is a 3/10 type of movie

Showgirls is 2/10

I'm not sure I could actually rank a 1/10 ....
  • BachiG said:

What? How do you give a movie you couldn’t even finish a 6/10? That makes Dunkirk only slightly better... Do you have to actually throw-up a little in your mouth to give a movie like a 5? What would it take to give a movie a 1 on your scale? It makes you poke your eyes out or jab pencils in your ears?

I'm not sure I could actually rank a 1/10 ....
    Birdemic?
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Cars 3!

Not bad! My expectations were in the gutter after 2 (which they thankfully glossed over entirely), and I they redeemed themselves from that trainwreck. Movie was nothing to write home about, but it closed the series on a much better note.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    @drowgamer77 a one for me would be house of 1000 corpses
  • Watched "Happy Death Day". It was pretty good for a slasher film. The Groundhog Day concept in a slasher film was definitely an interesting take.
    Watched "The Florida Project" last night. Fantastic performances, but as someone who has been watching too many Hollywood blockbusters, I kept on waiting for such a large dramatic event to happen that I missed out on appreciating all the smaller dramatic events that happen throughout the film. I honestly think that's more on me than it is on the film, because I laughed and cried at a lot of it. It's a film where the kids are actually kids, which is pretty rare in this day and age, and while there are folks that cross a line away from human decency, you see how it happens and how the straws start straining the camel's back.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Per my usual extremely tardy movie watching habits, finally got around to watching Logan. I’m not a huge comic book fan so it didn’t make me cry... but overall I enjoyed it.

One thing I didn’t like (but maybe just because I don’t know the story) was that it nails down the ending / death of quite a few prominent characters at once. I mean, was that an accurate portrayal out of the comic stories... or just this movies “take”? If the latter, it seems short-sighted and “selfish”. If the former, than ok, sounds good to me.

Also watched Split a week or so ago... thought it was pretty good too, although the “surprise” ending wasn’t all that surprising compared to some of his other movie endings. I’ll look forward to the final installment in a few years.
    edited January 22
    took my son to see Paddington 2

It is a very good family film! I liked it, It was a nice change of pace. Very cute, with a good message.

8.5/10
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Went and saw Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" yesterday. It was surprisingly good! The Rock can carry almost any film, kinda like an even-better Ahh-nuld from his comedic movie hey-day, but being saddled with Jack Black and throwing in the short dude just seemed like too much to much ask. But there is a reason it's been riding high on the box-office charts for so long: it's good! The "Breakfast Club" meets "Swallowed by a Video Game" approach works.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited January 23
    Dracula 3000

I am so confused
    Greatest ending to a movie in cinematic history
    Watched "Molly's Game" last night. If you like Sorkin, this was a fantastic movie, and apparently it mostly hewed quite closely to Molly Bloom's book in terms of events (if not the plot). Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba were fantastic bouncing off of each other (verbally; their chemistry was fantastic if platonic).

• DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited January 25
    Watched "1922" (the Stephen King-book based Netflix movie) last night. It was actually decent, the narrative part of it was starting to drive me up a wall though. I understand why they did it but at the same time it just felt in the way. I thought the effects were dull though for modern times. The makeup was kind of bad...

I'd give it a 6/10
    We watched "Baywatch" last night just to test the theory "Can The Rock actually carry any lame dumb-arse idea into an okay movie?"

Hey, it really wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. They rightly played everything over-the-top, and pretty much the right amount of over-the-top too.

My son pointed out to me that there is a movie that The Rock couldn't single-handedly save, and that's "Ride Along 3", or whatever the actual name of the spy movie with him and Kevin Hart is. I haven't seen it, but the boy says it was truly terrible. Perhaps that's the exception to prove the rule?

We watched "Baywatch" last night just to test the theory "Can The Rock actually carry any lame dumb-arse idea into an okay movie?"

Hey, it really wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. They rightly played everything over-the-top, and pretty much the right amount of over-the-top too.

My son pointed out to me that there is a movie that The Rock couldn't single-handedly save, and that's "Ride Along 3", or whatever the actual name of the spy movie with him and Kevin Hart is. I haven't seen it, but the boy says it was truly terrible. Perhaps that's the exception to prove the rule?

I would say the one movie the rock couldn't save was that one where he played a fairy.

• Finally got around to seeing the It remake. It was a really good film for a remake though the Pennywise Dance scene needed some music like the memes for it that I stumbled onto a while back.
  • As much as IT is a remake (in terms that it's trying to be the same story), I still don't call it a remake. The TV-miniseries had so much missing from it and felt so rushed (low budget I'm sure has to do with this) that I can't compare the two.
    The new one did a fantastic job bringing the book alive. But also had a much bigger budget lol
    edited February 16
    Oh, I forgot to mention: I took the eldest to see Peter Rabbit last weekend.

Cute little story, good voice cast and Rose Byrne! Plus, Domhnall Gleeson is surprisingly good with physical comedy!

you won't miss anything if you don't see it in the theater, but it's a good family movie

7/10
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...

Cute little story, good voice cast and Rose Byrne! Plus, Domhnall Gleeson is surprisingly good with physical comedy!

you won't miss anything if you don't see it in the theater, but it's a good family movie

7/10

Oh sure. If you can find humor in nearly killing someone with food allergies.

Can I say I’m only kidding after writing that? Something feels off.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    Nobody move! I've got peanut butter!
  • Nobody move! I've got peanut butter!

If you need extra ammo, I've got a pantry filled with chunky peanut butter.

Yes, I am a filthy peanut butter addict.
    BachiG said:

7/10

Oh sure. If you can find humor in nearly killing someone with food allergies.

Can I say I’m only kidding after writing that? Something feels off.
    OH MAN! I forgot about that! Yeah, that was a little ... extreme.
  • Anyone who hasn't seen or isn't going to see Black Panther, you are missing out on something truly special. An outstanding film from start to finish that deserves every accolade it gets.

New stack ranking of MCU non-Avenger films (2008- ):

1. Iron Man
    2. Black Panther
    3. Captain America: Civil War
    4. Captain America: The First Avenger
    5. Iron Man 3
    6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy
    9. Doctor Strange
    10. Ant-Man
    11. Thor: Ragnarok
    12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    13. Iron Man 2
    14. Thor
    15. Thor: The Dark World

(Did not see the 2008 Incredible Hulk)
    Just got back from seeing Black Panther. It was excellent, and that is even with going in with high expectations.
    without any spoilers, how close does it stay true to the comic

without any spoilers, how close does it stay true to the comic

I'm not a comic book guy so I have no idea.
  • Anyone who hasn't seen or isn't going to see Black Panther, you are missing out on something truly special. An outstanding film from start to finish that deserves every accolade it gets.

New stack ranking of MCU non-Avenger films (2008- ):

1. Iron Man
    2. Black Panther
    3. Captain America: Civil War
    4. Captain America: The First Avenger
    5. Iron Man 3
    6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy
    9. Doctor Strange
    10. Ant-Man
    11. Thor: Ragnarok
    12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    13. Iron Man 2
    14. Thor
    15. Thor: The Dark World

(Did not see the 2008 Incredible Hulk)

Black Panther was definitely one of the best MCU films. I will have to disagree with your ranking of the first Iron Man as the best film. The villain was a pretty standard card carrying villain and with Jeff Bridges playing him I kept asking "Why did The Dude chop off his hair and turn stereotypically evil?" But then again, this is just my opinion.
    i haven't seen some marvel movies yet (namely dr strange, black panther, and thor ragnarok.) but I currently have captain America civil war as my favorite by far.