What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

i haven't seen some marvel movies yet (namely dr strange, black panther, and thor ragnarok.) but I currently have captain America civil war as my favorite by far.

Civil War is up there, but Thor and Black Panther really bring their A-Game.

Dr. Strange is all right, but it's got some pretty trippy visuals.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    so my head hurts after seeing year one last night. they basically stuck 2000 years of history in a one month period of time and none of it made sense from a history standpoint. (yeah I know it is supposed to be satire, but not my type of movie). thankfully the new season of timeless started so I can get my history fix from that, well mostly anyway lol
    Tomb Raider was okay. Performances were good, action all right, plotting and pacing meh, pretty shots. Honestly preferred the parts outside the tomb.

They very clearly expect a franchise. I’ll watch the next one but I don’t need to own this one on video or anything.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Watched the Disaster Artist last night, loved the movie, but absolutely mad they didn’t include any deleted scenes. They talked up how amazing the cut scenes were on a podcast I listen to, and really sad to see them not included.

That madness aside, James Franco was incredible portraying Tommy Wiseau, the strangest man in the world. I love the Room, so this was amazing to see come to fruition. The story of looking past the weirdness of somebody to see the good in people’s hearts is portrayed extremely well. I really recommend it with all my heart.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I had free media preview tickets for Tomb Raider last night but decided it wasn't worth the expense [free, but involved going to a movie theater that's not particularly close to a metro stop + getting there at least 50 minutes before the movie started]. I was thinking it would be fun to go with my wife, but on 2nd thought I figured an actual archeologist wouldn't enjoy watching a Tomb get Raided, that's not what professionals do!
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I watched "Shin Godzilla" yesterday while I was home sick. I was surprised that it was 100 times more social commentary on current Japanese bureaucracy problems than Godzilla carnage. And whatever really happened to the scientist from the missing boat? Did he become Godzilla, or just dive down and wake her/him up? It was slow, but okay.

Then I watched "Inside Metal: The Early Years of the L.A. Metal Scene", or something like that. Just another one of those "movies" that consist of endless snippets of interviews with people from the scene without really telling a story of said scene.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

thankfully the new season of timeless started so I can get my history fix from that, well mostly anyway lol

Drunk History is my history fix.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business

Then I watched "Inside Metal: The Early Years of the L.A. Metal Scene", or something like that. Just another one of those "movies" that consist of endless snippets of interviews with people from the scene without really telling a story of said scene.

Did you ever see the Sunset Strip Documentary on Netflix? Not bad

Did you ever see the Sunset Strip Documentary on Netflix? Not bad
    No. I'll look for it on Amazon Prime Video.
    I watched "The Decline of Western Civilization" parts 1 and 2 today, including the bonus interviews. These are the punk rock and metal entries in the series. Good stuff from the gal who directed Wayne's World only because she had done Part 2, and no one else in Hollywood knew anything about metal music so they offered it to her.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

the gal who directed Wayne's World only because she had done Part 2, and no one else in Hollywood knew anything about metal music so they offered it to her.

It's funny, apparently she was offered the chance to direct This Is Spinal Tap, but declined. But Rob Reiner did such a masterful job of it - nailing both metal culture and comedy - it makes me wonder if he was considered for Wayne's World. I suppose he was pretty busy with 'serious' projects around that time (Misery, then A Few Good Men, before he imploded his career with North)
    edited March 19
    Hi Friends!

over the weekend, I watched Wind River -- 8.5/10

this isn't a movie I ever thought I'd enjoy but it is a really good, yet sobering movie. It's not a big summer blockbuster (though it does have MCU's Hawkeye and Scarlett Witch in the lead roles) nor is it a raunchy comedy.

There are some very, very heartfelt moments, some hard things to watch and a lot of emotional moments but god dang, is it a good movie. Good murder mystery, for those wondering, with a VERY intense ending to the film!

Also, if anyone is interested in an honest depiction of our First Nation's / Native Americans' struggles in the modern world, this film scratches the surface.
    Went and saw "A Wrinkle In Time" yesterday. I honestly don't know if it's a good movie or not. I enjoyed it very much, but then again I read the book when I was a kid. As I commented to my sister afterwords, I was glad I hadn't read it in a long time because I don't think the movie followed it very well. Poor reading memories allowed me to enjoy the movie.

But... I'm not sure there was enough there to follow what was happening if you didn't generally know the story. My wife hasn't read the book and said she liked the movie, so who knows. It's kind of a weird flick that way. In any event, I liked it.

The teenager girl heroine was very good, and the little kid boy was an excellent actor for a little guy.
    Yesterday was a twofer: having received Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle last week, I got around to watching it before my viewing of Pacific Rim Uprising.

Jumanji: WttJ was quite fun and incredibly self-aware, and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. One slight disappointment is that Karen Gillan's character had "dance fighting" listed and it wasn't Capoeira, but that's a minor nitpick in what was otherwise a solidly enjoyable movie.

Pacific Rim Uprising was basically the original minus the significant worldbuilding plus some pretty nifty twists. That it did so at the expense of characters from the original movie is a disappointment, but I can live with it. The fight scenes were as ridiculous as I dreamed of, even if they do lose some of the weightiness of the original movies' fight scenes. I am hoping it continues as a franchise in the future; I guess I have to rely on the Chinese for that. (It's also one of those Hollywood/China co-productions where they don't include only a token nod to the Chinese people, but it feels like a bit of an overswerve on that part. Considering the Chinese are basically responsible for the sequel, it makes some sense though.)
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Ella Enchanted and Logan Lucky

The latter was really disappointing because it was actors I liked in roles that didn't suit them. Unhinged Daniel Craig, mellow Adam Driver, quirky Sebastian Stan

Ella Enchanted and Logan Lucky

The latter was really disappointing because it was actors I liked in roles that didn't suit them. Unhinged Daniel Craig, mellow Adam Driver, quirky Sebastian Stan

Not going to stop me from watching it at least once, because Soderbergh.
  • Witticus said:

Watched the Disaster Artist last night, loved the movie, but absolutely mad they didn’t include any deleted scenes. They talked up how amazing the cut scenes were on a podcast I listen to, and really sad to see them not included.

That madness aside, James Franco was incredible portraying Tommy Wiseau, the strangest man in the world. I love the Room, so this was amazing to see come to fruition. The story of looking past the weirdness of somebody to see the good in people’s hearts is portrayed extremely well. I really recommend it with all my heart.

I recently watched The Disaster Artist with my girlfriend. We both haven't seen The Room yet but midway through watching The Disaster Artist we both were saying we needed to watch The Room.
    Thor Dark World. Just as painful when I got it from the library. The only memorable scene is recapped in Ragnarok anyways
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP

Witticus said:

I recently watched The Disaster Artist with my girlfriend. We both haven't seen The Room yet but midway through watching The Disaster Artist we both were saying we needed to watch The Room.
    It definetly helps, considering the disaster artist only barely covers the bizzareness that is that movie.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

Witticus said:

Just do it, if you thought it looked weird in The Disaster Artist, you ain't seen nothing yet. The Room is still one of my favorite bad movies, almost every line is quotable in some way.
    We watched "Their Finest Hour", or whatever it's called, last night. That was an excellent movie.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Pasting this from The Rainbow Club:

Okay, so am fresh back from seeing Love, Simon, and damn that was good. Like, very, very good. It's been quite some time since I've seen a film this good, and it felt very down to earth and rather sincere. I could understand Simon; his motivations, his worries, his insecurities, and damn, Nick Robinson was awesome. He absolutely nailed SImon for me, and that just lended more credence to the whole project. 8/10, possibly 8.5/10.
    The wife and I got caught watching Girl's Trip on HBO the other night.

It was pretty funny, but only thanks to Tiffany Haddish who had all the best lines and easily 'made' that movie.

Worth a lazy Sunday watch if you get around to it. 6/10
    Finished rewatching all 18 MCU movies!

does your ranking still hold?

does your ranking still hold?
    1. Guardians of the Galaxy
    2. Thor Ragnarok
    3. Spider-Man Homecoming
    4. Ant-Man
    5. Winter Soldier
    6. Iron Man
    7. Black Panther
    8. Doctor Strange
    9. Civil War
    10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
    11. Thor
    12. Captain America: The First Avenger
    13. The Avengers
    14. Iron Man 3
    15. Iron Man 2
    16. Age of Ultron
    17. Incredible Hulk
    18. Thor Dark World
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    I'd definitely place the first Avengers movie higher up. In particular, I enjoyed it more than Doctor Strange (which I did enjoy but for which perhaps I had too high expectations).
    I only agree with your placement of Thor: Dark World

but that's why I love you, man - you put the Ed Norton Hulk not last :)
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    i finally saw thor ragnarok last week. a top 5 MCU movie for sure, but had some awkward moments that made it hard for me to watch.

i finally saw thor ragnarok last week. a top 5 MCU movie for sure, but had some awkward moments that made it hard for me to watch.

Like what? Curious if you and I are on the same page because there were a couple times in Ragnarok that I feel the same way about ...