What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• bclewisbclewis Road Warrior

Who came up with the idea to use diagetic music for the Empire recruiting billboard, I wonder?

Thank you for introducing me to a new word!
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

LoopyChew said:

I honestly wanted to see what Lord & Miller's version would have been like, since they were the original reason I was excited for the movie. Sadly, I guess that'll never surface.

This what I went though when Edgar Wright was taken off Ant-Man. I still haven't bothered to watch it, and I was super hyped when Wright was initially given the job.

Same for Guillermo del Toro and The Hobbit.

On the bright side, it's entirely possible we wouldn't have gotten Baby Driver or The Shape of Water if they had been left on those megamovies.
    I actually like Ant-Man a lot, and I was surprised to find that one of the bits that felt super Wrightish to me was actually Reed's idea. It also has one of the best third act fight scenes in the MCU so far, mostly because it's the most playful. (I don't know if that was part of Wright's script but I could see it.)
    Rewatched Deadpool 2 last night, since I was still jetlagged when I saw it the first time (and I got a movie pass which has changed my consumption model for this year). Still great and hilarious. As I wasn't super enthusiastic for the first one (I liked it well enough), I may have liked this one better except for the reduced role of Vanessa and NTW (although the running gag with Yukio was wonderful and I hope they keep that up in any upcoming spinoffs).

I found myself welling up a little in the final "Take On Me" scene, which I wasn't expecting out of a movie with a Latin Chorus singing "HOLY S***BALLS" during its third-act fight scene.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    Watched two movies recently:

Heathers (1988): Decent script, horrible acting, way too many lame jokes (which might be the time period issue). 5/10

A Quiet Place (2018): Pretty damn good movie with a somewhat lackluster ending. Making this into a sequel is a huge mistake though. It should end how it did and start a brand new script (These guys need to make more original [for the most part] horror movies ) 8.5/10
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Coco was a tearjerker. Excellent film
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    It's been on my should-watch list for a while. But I loved Grim Fandango so much that I'm kinda tentative about other entertainment that plays the same styles and themes. I feel that I won't be able to help but compare and contrast and criticize against an incredibly high bar.
  • I finally watched Justice League. A fairly average movie, but mildly entertaining nonetheless, despite all of its shortcomings (and there are A LOT of them).

I think a 6/10, or a light 7/10 suits it. Was a heck of a lot better than Batman v. Superman (which, even then, I didn't hate as much as other people seem to), was several notches below just about every other superhero film.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    finally saw batman vs superman the other night, did not like what they did with batman at all. sad thing is, to me lex Luthor was the most complete character in that movie. the final fight scene felt like it was just added on to make the movie longer, could have done without it completely.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    My biggest complaint about Batman v Superman was how quickly batman had a change of heart. After all that time hating superman and plotting his demise and finally literally having him in the palm of his hand, there a was a quick terrible -- and I mean just as quick as darth junior suddenly switching from good guy to child mass killer -- switch at the utterance of the name "Martha".

"What??? WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME????????"

"Oh, wow. Come on buddy, let's go save the world!"
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    It was inspired by that song by Sting, "What if Kryptonians Love their Children Too?"
    im on a superhero kick right now, last night I watched black panther. not impressed by it. I know a lot of people like it and even swear it is one of the better marvel movies, but I just couldn't get into it. the sad thing is I like the black panther comics. I really wanted something different from the ending, I felt bad for the "villain" in this movie and kept thinking if they would have done one thing different when he was younger this would never have happened.

now I just have to see wonder woman and justice league. by then infinity war should be on dvd lol

I really wanted something different from the ending, I felt bad for the "villain" in this movie and kept thinking if they would have done one thing different when he was younger this would never have happened.

I think you landed on the reason everyone actually liked this one better than most Marvel movies; in this case the villain had a very, very valid point, which is why the movie ended the way it did. You don't normally get that kind of subtlety in Marvel movies.
    I watched "Get Out" last night. I thought it was a great take on the old "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" theme and was really well done. A little too obvious in many places, but it played out well and the movie as a whole was very good.
    Ocean's 8 was fun. I watched it for the same reason as I watched the other Ocean's movies: I wanted to watch a bunch of people with overwhelming charisma be super chemical with one another for a couple of hours while a heist happens. It wasn't done as stylishly as the previous trilogy, much to my disappointment, but that's a director issue, not an actor issue.

Looking forward to the inevitable 9 and 10 to cap off this particular trilogy.
  • I watched an oriental fantasy film titled "The Legend of the Naga Pearls" on Netflix out of sheer curiosity, and lo and behold, it was decent! The first act was a little shoddy, and there was plenty of bizarreness to go around (which in all honesty probably stems from the culture - it's a Chinese film), especially when it came to this film's world, but on the whole, quite enjoyable. Would I recommend it to others? Only if one's okay with some frankly bizarre yet definitely imaginative plot points and if one can tolerate some self-aware cheesiness, among other minor things.
    edited June 15
    I got to see a screening of the documentary Gurrumul last night, with a question and answer session with the director and co-star afterwards. Gurrumul himself died last year, and by tradition the name and image and voice of a person are not to be heard ever again after they die. In this case, his community and country on Elcho Island decided that they would make an exception, because it is that important to share his story with the rest of the world.

I find myself unable to review this movie properly. It was a moving experience. Yes, he has a fantastic voice, and he was a talented musician (though he played a right-handed guitar as a lefty, holding it upside down), but its just such an interesting story. About him, and his people, and how he was able to share his talents and his story with the rest of Australia, and the world, despite doing everything exactly the opposite of how you might hope to find success in the music business. The last third of the film shows him working on his final album, done with orchestral instruments [how do you transcribe didgeridoo to stringed instruments? You will see how!], and the process and final product are truly remarkable.

His people are normally treated by Australia as "a problem in search of a solution". The film chooses to ignore all of the (very real) issues and show it as a seemingly functional community in a rural beachfront paradise: impoverished, but tightly-knit and proud and deeply connected to each other and their traditions. After growing up as a part of that, why would anyone be remotely tempted by the lonely and stressful life of a touring musician?

A documentary about a indigenous Australian, blind from birth, speaking very little English, deeply shy around the media: who wants to see that? As it turns out: I did.

Here, read this, they do a much better job of explaining why those who love music and stories and filmmaking should seek out this movie. Whenever it opens in your country (or if it ever does).
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    i watched the first half of Thoroughbreds

so far it's good. not much happens but the 2 leads somehow got my attention. there is a feeling something awful is going to happen and the movie sticks to it's concept (not sure what that concept is but the movie seems cohesive)

i'll watch the rest tonight and see what happens.
    One of the last roles for universally beloved actor Anton Yelchin
    oh no. i didn't know this. the way he died is just so sad.
    Watched "Ant Man" last night, and you know what? I liked it!
    okay, Thoroughbreds was pretty good. i was expecting to end in a grizzly cathartic way, but that didn't happen. still good tho.
    just watched tomb raider (the reboot not the original) and I was pleasantly surprised by it. in fact I would say the movies storyline and how they portray Lara is done much better than the game did it. I also think they were hinting at things that could possible be in shadow of the tomb raider (like finally being able to use dual handguns on a regular basis)
  • Watched Jurassic World 2 the other night. It felt like "The Passion Of The Christ" only with CGI Dinosaurs getting tortured for nearly 2 hours (which made it oddly sadder than "The Passion Of The Christ").
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Absolutely *loved* Ant-Man & the Wasp
    So much charm
    Incredibles 2 came out this week here, and I took my mom to see it. We loved both it and Bao, the short that preceded it. (We like making baozi at home, and of course are used to the east-west cross-cultural/generation gap, driving it home a little more.)
    edited July 9
    Went to visit my parents, I brought a stack of Blu-Rays with me for them to choose from.

1. "Source Code" (2011). Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Monaghan are both charming. Only afterwards did I find out that she's also in "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (highly recommended). Director Duncan Jones is occasionally brilliant ("Moon") and he manages to make a time-travel thriller movie interesting despite it having almost no action at all. Oh, and Vera Farmiga, she's just fascinating to watch as an actor. Jeffrey Wright plays an awkward project leader who seems to understand simulation programming more than he understands people. Hmmm.

The plot? It makes no sense. Giant holes in logic, requires huge suspension of disbelief. Especially the ending. But I made that leap of faith, because I wanted things to work out for our heroes. This movie is only worth watching if you're more interested in watching those first 3 actors be heroic and / or charming than you are in watching a sci-fi movie with awesome + sensible action.

2. "Mission: Impossible" (1996). Somehow I have never seen most of the movies in this series! Why not start at the beginning. Damn, 22 years is a long time indeed. I love how Tom Cruise searches "the internet" (usenet chat groups) for information and most of his terms come up with no hits at all. I'd had most of the "shocking twists" spoiled in advance over the years, so none of the reveals or double-crosses had much of an effect on me. That's probably for the best, because as I remember it, the biggest reaction people had was ANGER at who turns out to be the bad guys: that's not how the TV show worked! I loved how they used full-face disguises several times (now that WAS how the TV show worked) and some of the stunts were pretty cool (though some of them were the product of totally ridiculous green-screen "magic"). It is pretty interesting to see how this series began and how far it has come: this series is now 100% invested in itself as a way to watch Tom Cruise put himself in actual grave danger as an actor just for our entertainment. This one? It's a relic of a long-ago age. Vanessa Redgrave is charming. Jean Reno and Ving Rhames are entertaining to watch. But it's definitely one of the weaker entries in the filmography of Brian De Palma, but I tend to think of that as a very high bar to cross despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.
    I remember Source Code as my first exposure to Russell Peters and enjoying the movie well enough. I don't think I'd ever buy the home video version of it though.
  • Ant Man & The Wasp - liked the first one better, but this was fine, a good second-tier MCU movie.
    Jumanji the reboot. was actually better than I thought it would be.

Jumanji the reboot. was actually better than I thought it would be.

It's not technically a reboot? The original Jumanji movie happened in the movie (see: references to Robin Williams' character in-game). But yeah, that was a lot more fun than I had expected.