What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    LoopyChew said:

Jumanji the reboot. was actually better than I thought it would be.

It's not technically a reboot? The original Jumanji movie happened in the movie (see: references to Robin Williams' character in-game). But yeah, that was a lot more fun than I had expected.
    yeah I realized that right before I went to work but it was too late to change it. I liked how they didn't go the cheesy route with it being a video game this time.

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Jurassic Park! Loved it!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Watched Karate Kid for the first time last night. I actually ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would (and I expected to like it). There's a scene that tackles a subject I was never told the movie mentioned, and when it happened I gained a lot of respect for it. I say it's aged a lot better than a lot of other sports movies I've seen, in terms of being entertaining without feeling "dated" in any way.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

Watched Karate Kid for the first time last night. I actually ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would (and I expected to like it). There's a scene that tackles a subject I was never told the movie mentioned, and when it happened I gained a lot of respect for it. I say it's aged a lot better than a lot of other sports movies I've seen, in terms of being entertaining without feeling "dated" in any way.

Pat Morita or Jackie Chan? (I'm assuming the former.)
    LoopyChew said:

Pat Morita or Jackie Chan? (I'm assuming the former.)
    The original, shoulda specified. Have yet to see the remake, I remember it getting mixed reviews, but I've noticed I tend to like a lot of things other people tend to be mixed on, so I'll have to see :p
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation

2/10

Avoid at all costs
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited July 18

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation

2/10

Avoid at all costs

I was gonna bust yer ballz again... but after seeing your rough couple of months post in WAYDRN, decided to take it easy on you this time :) ...still curious how bad the movie has to actually be to get a lowly 1 on your scale :P

Oh yeah... while I’m here, may as well mention a movie or two I’ve seen recently, starting with:

Disaster Artist (8/10). Watched this on my flight to Chicago last week. Extremely well done... and while I admit to only being able to stomach small parts of The Room... it doesn’t have any bearing one way or the other to the ability to enjoy this movie.

Ghost in the Shell (6/10) - standard dystopian civilization fan fare, nothing really new, but not a terrible movie either.

Snowden (7/10) - took some liberties, but overall an interesting take. Depending on where you land on whether you think he was a traitor or rightful whistleblower will affect your opinion on this film. I can see him as a little of both.

Legend (7/10) - started more promising than it ended, but the best part of the movie was just seeing Tom Hardy play the role of both brothers.

The Founder (8/10) - surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie, actually. Super interesting story and unbelievably makes me view McDonald’s in a slightly different light.

Life (7.5/10) - Aliens, but different. Everything but the very end was good. Should’ve seen the end coming long before I did.

Alien Covenant (6.5/10) - Better than Prometheus... I think. But not sure why I feel that way.

Wonder Woman (7/10) - think I though it’d be better after buying into the hype... but I’m probably just not enough of a super hero (movie) fan to really cared too much about it one way or the other.
  • Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation

2/10

Avoid at all costs

• jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    Ant Man and the Wasp was a lot of fun, as expected. I didn't really remember the first too well but this one was better.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado was disappointing compared to the first movie but still worth watching if you liked Del Toro's character. The beginning was shockingly grim to say the least, and without Villeneuve directing it was missing what made the original so mesmerizing.
  • The Avengers!!!
  • Call me by Your Name
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited July 25
    I got to see a media screening of "Mission Impossible: Fallout" on Monday. I didn't love it, and I feel like a freak for saying that, because just about everyone else did. Exception: the BBC. Other exceptions: the two women in my screening that admitted afterwards to napping during the movie.

Until this month, I had only seen ONE of the movies from this series: Ghost Protocol. But throughout July, I've binged through almost all of the rest of them. The exception? the most recent entry ("Rogue Nation"). That proved to be a mistake: they are mostly stand-alone movies, but this movie is a pretty clear follow-up to that one, as I understand it.

There were some absolutely fantastic scenes / stunts, for sure. Hooray for practical effects! And Tom Cruise seems to be determined to risk death while making these movies, and that makes the stunts more thrilling (and easy to edit), for sure. Also, I was moved by the ending, but mostly because of the actress involved in that scene: she's swell. And I was impressed that they didn't go the obvious route with the use of masks (but of course there are still masks).

Things that hurt my experience that were in no way the fault of the movie: the projection in my theater was REALLY dim. I hate that. Also: the concession stand was insanely slow. I got through it in 22 minutes, and then had to wait another 20 minutes to get my hot dog (?!?), so I missed the first 10 minutes of the movie. Would seeing those 10 minutes have changed my experience of the story? Maybe! As it was, I couldn't understand why Ethan Hunt wasn't doing everything he could think of to get away from the obviously insane CIA agent that he was paired with. From my front seat, Tom Cruise looked a lot like David Hasselhoff, and Ving Rhames looked dangerously overweight. I'm not judging: aging is hard on all of us! But: wow. I hope it was just my angle of view.

The great stunt shows were linked together by dumb script decisions, too many times, starting with early decision to infiltrate via skydive when taking a cab would have been just as effective. But not exciting, eh? And then a tech expert can't read an electronic map, ha ha right? No.

Also it seems the beginning scene probably set up what turned out to be one of the main themes of the movie: is this a spoiler? I don't think so. But just in case:
    the needs of the many may outweigh the needs of the few, but maybe try hard to protect "the few" anyway?

tl;dr I didn't love it BUT there are some thrilling scenes and a few interesting script decisions hidden among the dumb ones. It should be seen on the biggest brightest screen possible. I seem to be in the distinct minority in my opinion so go ahead an ignore these comments if you were already leaning towards going.
    i saw that star wars the last jedi was on Netflix. decided to watch it with my wife. still scratching my head over the "science" of that movie.
  • edited July 26

i saw that star wars the last jedi was on Netflix. decided to watch it with my wife. still scratching my head over the "science" of that movie.

As a Star Wars fan, I thought it was atrocious, and that scene with Leia in deep space sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all the things I found issue with. Consider me on the side of those people who thought it was a disgrace, though I perhaps don't share the same level of anger.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    coolkat said:

As a Star Wars fan, I thought it was atrocious, and that scene with Leia in deep space sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all the things I found issue with. Consider me on the side of those people who thought it was a disgrace, though I perhaps don't share the same level of anger.
    Like Luke, she's also the kid of Darth Vader, aka. she got super high force powers and is able to do lots of weird unrealistic things hypothetically because the force is a stand-in for magic (but in space), I honestly don't see why this is an issue what so ever.

Its a reason people call it Sci-Fantasy after all
  • edited July 26

coolkat said:

Like Luke, she's also the kid of Darth Vader, aka. she got super high force powers and is able to do lots of weird unrealistic things hypothetically because the force is a stand-in for magic (but in space), I honestly don't see why this is an issue what so ever.

Its a reason people call it Sci-Fantasy after all
    It doesn't matter if she's a Jedi or not, she's still a human, in deep space. Unless there's a lore reason pointing to other reasons why she'd be able to survive, she should have died right then and there. I'd like to mention Episode III (I believe it is) as a supporting example, with the fight scene with Grievous on the ship. When the window blows out, there's scientifically enough plausible data to suggest that the humans in that scene would have survived (source: The Physics of Star Wars by Patrick Johnson), but clearly nobody human wants to go out of the ship. In that scene, those are trained Jedi, and they don't want to be sucked out, so it's clear that they in all likelihood aren't immune to being in deep space - if they were, the lack of oxygen would be no issue, and neither would be surviving in the frigid coldness of space, but again, they don't want to leave the ship. Plus, if the Jedi could theoretically survive that, there'd be minimal reason for any distress or tension in the scene other than Grievous himself. The idea that even a Jedi with the Force - as you stated, basically magic, which is true - could do something as Leia does in that one scene after immediate exposure to deep space that should have killed her before she even got a chance to react screams 'bogus' to me.

Disagree all you want, I don't see a logical, rational reasoning for that scene doing anything other than killing Leia. Even with the 'it's science-fantasy' argument, I don't see it working on the basis described above, and the Force itself does have rules, it is an explained, looked-into thing. It has its rules, its functions, but it isn't a through-and-through godsend. I even went through and read the Wookieepedia page on the Force and how it works, and nothing on there suggests the Jedi should be able to survive such an experience. Sure, the Force is an effective stand-in for magic, but unlike magic, they explain it, how it works within the confines of the universe, and what it can and cannot do. Thought was put into that department.

What would have made more sense would be for Leia to die. However, since she's a Jedi, and the Jedi can project their conscious after death, she could have remained in the story the same way Yoda does or Obi-Wan at the end of Return of the Jedi. It's not an unreasonable proposition.*

*although you'd have to find some way to get that to work, since Force projection of that type is limited

Holy smokes, I sound like a sad neckbeard arguing on a 4chan message board over his most prized hobbies. That's an achievement on its own!
    I mean, it took so much power out of her she is in a coma for most of the film, so "other Jedi not being in space all the time" isn't really a reason for this not to be possible for them, as it would still be an incredibly high risk to do so. From a story perspective, I think the scene is actually brilliant; we all expected her to die in the movie because of Carrie Fisher dying during the production, and instead it shows her character triumphantly managing to hold on despite impossible odds (which also seems to be a running theme in the movie itself, keeping hope and persistence against impossible odds), meaning that in one scene they finally had the movies themselves acknowledge her Jedi legacy AND symbolically say that Carrie Fisher's legacy will live on

Naratively it at least makes much more sense than...
    Darth Maul being alive

...in Solo somehow
  • Did you see the Clone Wars cartoon? It's a major plot line of the last seasons.
    Wildcat15 said:

Did you see the Clone Wars cartoon? It's a major plot line of the last seasons.

Haven't watched it yet, but knew he was alive in it. It just seems weird to me to try and tie all of this into Clone Wars directly, as well as apparently running out of villains, so instead of making up a new one they brought back a old favorite or something. I love Darth Maul, he is the best, but I am not sure I really need to see several movies where he is suddenly some sort of mob boss or something, considering what I liked about him in The Phantom Menace was that he was just this weird cool one-time character that made his impact due to his visual design and presence more than his actual characteristics
    Put me down as "Star Wars was never about science." It's space opera and doesn't have any sort of grounding in science at all. Maybe that's part of why I don't have an issue with TLJ and loved it. It was pure spectacle and I found myself wondering what would happen in Episode IX.

But if you want to get into the science bits, Leia would have frozen to death before the whole dead-by-vacuum thing anyway. If she were able to recover herself quickly enough (or some sort of Force Preservation Instinct kicked in) I'm perfectly fine with that write-in. It looked cheesy, but I honestly cannot think of a way to not make it look cheesy.
    Independent of that, Ant-Man and the Wasp was a lot of fun, up until the mid-credit sequence.
  • LoopyChew said:

Put me down as "Star Wars was never about science."... Maybe that's part of why I don't have an issue with TLJ and loved it. It was pure spectacle and I found myself wondering what would happen in Episode IX.

Oh, believe me, my complaints with The Last Jedi go far beyond that one scene - if anything, that's one of the least egregious things from the film for me.

Perhaps it'd be better to use another person's rant about the film that, despite its copious use of profanities which I shall censor (probably should be obvious where I did this; I italicized where), I wholeheartedly find sensible. This isn't my argument through-and-through, but it lines up rather well with my complaints. However, I have kept the writer anonymous on purpose, as this was posted on an... 'interesting' site. Just a safeguard.

"I really am at a loss when it comes to these Disney Star Wars movies. I cannot fathom how people defend them or reward them with praise. And of course now, I hear how Last Jedi is "just as good as Empire!" or "The best Star Wars since Empire!" Oh, please.

So they kill Luke. They kill Snoke. They kill Ackbar. Phasma dies/is just as useless as the last movie. Yoda destroys what remains of the Jedi history (or pretends to, still stupid), Leia's not dead but is dead in real life, so she's dead anyway.

Ugh.

These movies have done absolutely everything in their power to negate and twist everything that happened in the Original Trilogy. Not a single thing mattered. Luke dies alone as a crabby jerk on that island he refuses to leave....oh, but he force projects himself to fight Kylo, well, hey, cool, right? Yeah, those Matrix moves were just great. That totally makes up for nothing. That slow motion dodge stuff is so out of place. Don't people whine about the Prequels for stuff like this?

Luke's entire character arc from the OT is just utterly pointless now. Remember how he bravely flew with the others to attack the Death Star? Took on an AT-AT? Remember how he was so determined to save his father from the Dark Side that he allowed himself to be tortured by the Emperor? But instead Luke wusses out, runs off to hide on an island because now all of a sudden it's too hard and scary, and then still won't leave the island, force projects himself to distract the stupid First Order attack and dies. Never had kids, never married, never started up a proper Jedi Academy (worth a damn anyway, since apparently Kylo Ren can wipe it all out so fast), no proper continuation of things. All that he did as a Rebel and Jedi meaningless.

"See ya 'round kid" That's all we get. That's the kind of bullcrap writing you'd see from someone on the internet. That's what the Skywalker legacy has come to. All that heartache, all the heroics, all the adventure. Nope.

What does Kylo say? The past should stay in the past? Or something. Disney is doing their darndest to destroy everything of the past, yet still riding it so you keep giving them money for that nostalgia factor.

Killing Snoke seems like a decision made way too soon, as well. I'll admit on the surface it's an interesting "twist" to the main bad guy trope, but holy crap it's laughable. It also makes everything in TFA seem even stupider. It makes the character (say it with me) meaningless. That gold robe wearing lousy excuse of a character just does, and means, nothing.

Boy that "Knights of Ren" thing sure went nowhere too.

Phasma's stupid. They only pushed her because "female stormtrooper, girl power!" and then did nothing with her in the last movie or this one to be deserving of any of the hype. I feel bad for anyone liking the character.

Reeeey's parents are nobodies! Unless they retcon that, this whole thing has been for nothing and Rey is just a super special awesome girl power chick...because bad writing. So much for your journey! And your darn "that's a story for another time" bullcrap.

Poe and Finn are terrible characters and mean nothing. Rose is a nuisance. These are characters they've never known what they wanted to do with, and this movie proves that even more. Especially since Poe should've been dead in TFA but they couldn't even film anything worth a bit to bring him back without a you-know-where-pull at the end of that mess.

I despise you for killing Admiral Ackbar, despise you.

I'm just rambling at this point. I'm just so dang tired of these movies. They aren't being made out of respect for Star Wars. God, you can watch TFA and see that. Little things like Chewie walking by Leia after Han dies... Hell, the fact that they didn't put Han, Luke, Leia and the others together on screen proves they don't know what they're doing! What is there even to be excited for? They've pulled it all apart and Frankensteined it into a jumbled mess. They're stitching the story together as they go, and people praise it.

I gave Rogue One a slight pass because it felt somewhat competent, but that was hanging HARD on what ANH already had going, and it just does not hold up on repeat viewings. TFA was crap from the start, and I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch it again since that night.

It's all crap, I'm tired of it being crap. It didn't have to be crap. The Marvel movies aren't crap...it's not Disney's fault, that Kevin Feige guy seems to know how to do things right, it's just Kathleen Kennedy that seems to be the problem. This is what happens when you are set in charge of something, and you just push your personal crap instead of try to make cohesive, good movies.

I was thinking the other day how good a character Finn could've been. The character, not Boyega, Boyega sucks. But Finn as a character could've been really interesting. I kept thinking if they'd used some of the old EU, had Finn connect with Han a bit about being a former Imperial...just man, that could've gone places. Bonding could've happened. Interesting character things could've happened!

Nope! Nope, we don't get any of that. Everyone's dead, Rey and Kylo only now. Blee blah, bloo. Fuggetaboutit.

None of this ranting really has a point or means anything. I just needed to say something since viewing all this garbage. I'm going to have this stuff shoved down my throat for the next umpteen years, I need to vomit every once in a while.

Oh yeah, porgs suck."

I suppose you could call me a whining fan that doesn't like change, but on the contrary, I like change when it's good and well-thought-out. None of these films have that, and much less any love for the fans that should want the best. What Mark Hamill himself has said about it all only solidifies that they're not making Star Wars movies, they're making movies with a Star Wars cover to hook in fans that will eat up anything. And to be honest, I find both TFA and TLJ to be a spit in the face, films that have an idea of how to make a good film, but not a good Star Wars movie. They're visual eye candy, but there's little underneath it worth anything. Feel free to disagree, but these films seem so... uninspired to me, repetitive.
    edited July 26
    Since I can tell from the... interesting claims made in that copypaste rant that the person who wrote it didn't actually watch the thing but only re-threaded talking points from the worst parts of Reddit, here is some videos by somebody who I know for a fact watched the movie as well, explaining things in a way that doesn't involve conspiracy theories with an obvious political bias dictating everything rather than the actual film itself

(Hell that rant doesn't even have any good arguments about anything in it, it is as you said "4chan neckbeard nerd rage" all the way)

Also
    coolkat said:

As a Star Wars fan, I thought it was atrocious, and that scene with Leia in deep space sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all the things I found issue with.

coolkat said:

Oh, believe me, my complaints with The Last Jedi go far beyond that one scene - if anything, that's one of the least egregious things from the film for me.

Recently rewatched the extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and the movie has really held up. It never really felt padded in any way (even in the extended version; in fact this seems to be one of those cases where an extension actually helps the film), despite it's 3+ hour length. It was also cool seeing all the foreshadowing and background stories going on that I missed watching it as a teenager. We plan on watching the other two extended versions as well, looking forward to seeing how those are.

Also Frodo and Sam OTP
  • edited July 26

Since I can tell from the... interesting claims made in that copypaste rant that the person who wrote it didn't actually watch the thing but only re-threaded talking points from the worst parts of Reddit, here is some videos by somebody who I know for a fact watched the movie as well, explaining things in a way that doesn't involve conspiracy theories with an obvious political bias dictating everything rather than the actual film itself

(Hell that rant doesn't even have any good arguments about anything in it, it is as you said "4chan neckbeard nerd rage" all the way)

Also

coolkat said:

As a Star Wars fan, I thought it was atrocious, and that scene with Leia in deep space sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all the things I found issue with.

coolkat said:

Pardon that hypocritical point; I generally don't write as well late at night (when I originally posted the first of those comments), and I think a more accurate wording would be "that scene with Leia rubs me the wrong amongst other things I found issue with." It is, however, not my biggest complaint, though I still find it an idiotic decision. I'm wondering what I didn't catch that sooner, thinking about it, as I normally check for things like that.

This Bob guy proposes an interesting claim, and one I would be inclined to believe, though I possess some healthy skepticism towards it. Do I like what he proposes? Oh hell no, I dislike it thoroughly as a misguided attempt to be more meaningful than is required. In many ways, I am the antithesis of this man - I don't like what they did to Luke. Do I hate it? No, but it peeves me enough that I'm unhappy about it. Do I think this level of looking-in was intentional? Perhaps, but I'd have to see firm evidence to squash my own engrained skepticism. Do these attributes hit the right notes for some? Yes, they do, even if I find it questionable. Do these attributes downright annoy some? Undoubtedly so, otherwise there wouldn't be the massive war between fans, and there'd be no reason why we're having this debate right now.

Still, put me on the side that has been rubbed the wrong way by these films. You won't be able to change that, no level of debate will, I despise these movies in what they're doing. I despise what J.J. did, I despise what Kathleen Kennedy is doing, I despise what has happened since Disney bought Lucasfilm. To put it bluntly, I despise what's been happening lately more so than all of the idiotic things Lucas did, which I feel is an adequate way of putting down my feelings.

From the same page as that rant, I'd like to point out some of the comments, as I'm surprised by the mutual lack of hatred between those who liked the film and thought it was a plague descended upon all of mankind, as I believe the mindset on said forum would vastly benefit this discussion. There are people acknowledging that they liked aspects, disliked others; some enjoyed the film and provided a decent explanation why, some found aspects enjoyable but ultimately found the film lacking, and some were in the same ballpark as the original poster, yet there existed no animosity. As an example: "I saw it last night and loved it despite it's faults (a bit too many one-liners for my taste, but nowhere near as bad as Age of Ultron if we're going to compare Disneyified movies). It seems like the movie is super polarizing, looking at fan reaction - you either love it or hate it. It trips up the standard Star Wars tropes and apparently people don't like that," which is backed up by admittedly valid points of why certain things are the way they are, including Luke's death being necessary in the confines of the plot, the reasoning for the stable scene, comparing Phasma to Boba Fett (a hyped character with little to do), and the possibility of Kylo Ren lying to Rey about their parents, but this person also admits shortcomings, as with the Leia scene and its silliness. Another commenter enjoyed aspects of the film, but could perfectly see why the film flared up such a negative reaction, while also expressing disappointment at what he saw as the progressive process of money-milking the franchise instead of spending more time to make better films. Perhaps this mentality would benefit all of this back-and-forth debating.

Tl;dr I'm an obstinate arse - I did not like this film, as did several thousands upon thousands of others, and the chances of me changing my thoughts are so infinitesimally small that they might as well be nonexistent. I express the same disappointments as many others do. Do I understand why people like the film? Yes, even though I feel there's enough wrong with the film that the massive amounts of praise are unwarranted. At the end of the day, I'm just disappointed where the franchise is going, and despite the fact I know there's practically nothing I can do concerning that, I feel that getting my thoughts out there and discussing them with others that might disagree is an important exercise in thorough comprehension.

However, here's what I did like, to show I didn't think each and every aspect was pure and utter tripe.
    -The final shot with Luke - where he's looking out at the binary stars before fading away - would have made for an excellent sending-off, though I can't help but feel it to be a premature death, and one I'm not sold on. I also liked the end scene, with the kids and the allusion of there being other force users, which I thought was a neat callback to the original film with Luke and all that. Of course the film looks good - the costumes, the sets, the visual effects all look nice, though they can only carry a film so far. Some of the dialogue I got a kick out of, the acting was perfectly fine, the fight scene between Kylo and Luke was interesting for what is was worth. There's probably some things I'm forgetting, but there were bits here and there I enjoyed, I just didn't think they were enough to make this film really that great.

In other words, I think it's best we end this and accept our differing opinions. We are at an impasse, for all intensive purposes.

Was that a bit too eloquent of an explanation? :tongue:
    edited July 26
    Whether or not you liked the movie or not is somewhat of an obsolete point honestly, the point is that the rant you posted is full of (IMO probably deliberate) misconceptions of the plot, themes and execution found within the actual text of the movie, seemingly being more interested in stoking outrage than actually discussing the actual merits of the film.

(Spoilers ahoy)

Killing off characters is of course a controversial move and you don't have to like it, but the way they did it in the movie makes sense within the movie and the bigger picture of the story: this is a new era with a new foe, they have all become old and tired, and its a very common thing in stories where the older generation gets killed off while the new generation takes over. In fact, this have happened in basically all Star Wars timelines/eras so far at several occasions, so if somehow Luke and Han and Leia all survived this it would be somewhat strange as that would be inconsistent with how this usually works in this franchise

As MovieBob explained, Luke being a hermit who is disenfranchised with everything also seems deliberate, and its not a betrayal of his character, its him getting old and falling into the same role that all his masters also fell into, but not wanting to commit to it due to his regret of turning Kylo to the dark side. It is all explained in the movie, and he redeems himself at the end. Sure, he wasn't there in person, but he uses the last of his powers to save the day via the force, which also showcases him finally being at one with the force again before his death

Not even gonna comment on the Phasma thing since its clearly just sexism in disguise, but the Rey thing is also shown in the movie; the force isn't tied to any blood line or lineage, it flows in everybody, and the whole point of showing those kids having force powers and her finding out her parents aren't in fact of Skywalker blood is to bring forth this point into the fold; that the "last Jedi" isn't the last one after all. Also, Rey is not a Mary Sue by any definitions of the word, come on. She is about the same level of skillful and powerful as Luke was, plus she has survival skills he didn't have living out in the wasteland instead of having a safe gig at the family farm

Like Poe or Finn or not, they have a purpose in the movie, Poe having a big important arch where he thinks the best thing to do is to commit mutiny on the ship, giving another dramatic ticking clock to bring forth the sense of danger they are going for, and Finn going on the side mission that helps showcase the stuff behind the scenes of how the First Order was able to come to power, as well as having a B-plot with more action in it to break up all the training montages with Luke and Rey

Also interesting how the rant seems to blame every possible "bad" thing in the movie on Kathleen Kennedy and John Boyega, while not even mentioning the actual director Rian Johnson, or the other producer Ram Bergman. Considering certain far right groups are very mad at this franchise right now after finding out storm troopers are, in fact, storm troopers, it makes me question the intentions of the rant even more than I already did from the lack of cinematic literacy

Also, "it makes sense, but its still stupid" is not a legitimate argument

Hate the movie all you want, but its not the end of the world just because the story took some bad turns in your opinion. I hate the Hobbit movies for all the stuff they did, but its not worth losing sleep over as I still have my extended cuts of Lord of the Rings to watch whenever I want
  • edited July 26
    I'm starting to regret commenting in the first place.

Cutting straight to the point, and reiterating, since my call to drop the issue was for all intensive purposes ignored, I personally do not like this film, I find the decisions questionable, and it all around does not appeal to me in the slightest. I find it a very shoddy film. I'm not losing sleep over it - I'm expressing my own disappointment, and contrary to what might be belief, I'm not the sad type of person that cries at night over the fates of their favorite franchises. I might understand the reasoning for something that is done, but I am the one to judge whether that end goal is right or wrong, yet unlike some, it does not consume me. Funny how opinions work, eh? Especially considering I seem to have the most unpopular ones here.

Also, just to squash your idea that the rant was a deliberate attempt to obscure the meanings of the plot, it's not. The guy who posted it does (usually) brief journals on films he's seen, and usually not long after he's seen them. He's nothing more than an average joe, who likes sci-fi and fantasy, and talks about films as he feels about them. Having conversed with the guy once via a forum post over the gradual Disneyfication (as it was called in the post) around Solo, he's actually a bit more sensible than you might be led to believe, far from a man with a deeply-engrained agenda.

Now, may we please drop the topic? I've said what I wanted to say, and I have made my claim. My mindset is fixed, as yours clearly is. There is nothing left to gain from this debate.
    I mean, my problem isn't that you didn't like the movie, my problem is that the thing you copypasted had a lot of misinformation and dark undertones to it and I was inclined to comment on them as I recognized them immediately as common copypasta arguments against the movie with some very dark origins. Though yeah, let's not derail the thread further, I don't wanna fight over this either
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    So... I went to see Hotel Artemis. It wasn't, well, bad, more just a group of talented actors being given very little to do. I mean: Jodie Foster, Sterling K. Brown, Zachary Quinto amongst others were just... there, and didn't have much opportunity to showcase their talents. The script had some interesting ideas, but everything just felt very incomplete, and I'm really starting to hate when films etc. repeat lines as if they have world-shattering depth, and then draw attention to it. They feel more like catchphrases than meaningful mantras, and can only earn eyerolls (I feel it's probably the way the film drops everything to draw attention to it that was more infuriating than the false profound nature of the lines themselves.) There's not much else to say, because there wasn't much else to the film.
    I deeply apologize for opening old wounds, didn't realize it would rekindle a war.