What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

I deeply apologize for opening old wounds, didn't realize it would rekindle a war.

Pretty sure that's the plotline of the new Star Wars movies in general.
  • LoopyChew said:

I deeply apologize for opening old wounds, didn't realize it would rekindle a war.

• wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    LoopyChew said:

I can see it now, in the next movie they show how the rebels defeat the empire, then become the new empire while a separate group of rebels fight against them. 9 more movies ordered by Disney for the next generation of moviegoers

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Teen Titans Go to the Movies.

Very mixed bag, some super lowbrow stuff mixed with some very clever and fun stuff. Overall enjoyed.
    Mission: Impossible – Fallout is fantastically brutal. I put it up there with Ghost Protocol in the M:I movie rankings, but they couldn't be more different.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Just watched Rock Dog, expecting something to riff on (excuse the pun), but it actually turned out kinda... good? It's probably not for everyone, but the comedic timing is actually spot-on, and I was actually somewhat invested in the plot, despite it being a weird mix of Avatar: The Last Airbender, Kung Fu Panda, School of Rock and Rush's 2112 (minus the objectivist undertones). Despite being a 3D-animated film from an obscure Chinese company, it actually seemed animated decently, and the voice acting was surprisingly good.

So that's a thing.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The dopes are my local sports talk radio station were calling Tom Cruise the greatest actor of his generation because of his eagerness to do all of his own stunts. Does that help make for exciting sequences? For sure! Is he a decent to excellent actor? He can be! But I'm not sure why his eagerness to risk death should give him extra credit in the acting department though.

I'll need to see "Fallout" again when it comes out on video, I seem to be the only one like merely liked it. Also I need to watch "Rogue Nation".
    Got done watching Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, after hearing how bad it is. And... it's pretty bad. But honestly, at the very least there was always something going on (no matter how nonsensical) and I was never bored by it (granted I was riffing on it the whole time, which helped). If anything, this movie has way too much going on; I had to be reminded who certain characters were later on in the film because I was literally unable to keep up. There are a lot of things that are attempted to be done, but none of them actually pay off, and some of the symbolism seems to contradict itself. Also, neither of the title characters' actors seemed to even want to be there, let alone have the energy to actually put in a good performance.

And yet, I've still seen worse. At least I was somewhat entertained by how baffling it was (a pivotal scene that was supposed to be the big dramatic turnaround of the film ended up being a laugh riot), and at least outside of what seems to be a botched objectivist theme to it (it seriously looks like they don't know what they're doing with it), there was nothing really hateful or problematic. So it's at least a fun movie to make fun of, if nothing else, if you have over two hours to spare.
    watched ready player one, one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. my only complaint would be the racing scene, only because I actually do play racing games and there is no way, even at the most elite level, that the drivers would be that close to each other for that long. but that is a very minor complaint to a really good movie.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Just got back from Antman & The Wasp.I'll keep this brief, but I didn't really like it. It was exactly what I expected, and I expected to not like it (just not a big fan of superheroes most of the time, it's just not for me). Although the one positive I do have is that Ghost was a decent antagonist. Hannah John-Kamen was excellent, and was the real standout for me. I liked it more than the first one though, which I really didn't like.
    avengers infinity war comes out on dvd soon, ive managed to go this long without any spoilers and cant wait to see it, I know how this war went in the comics so I wont be too surprised if certain members die.
    I had watched The Equalizer last week in anticipation of The Equalizer 2, which had its premiere in Geneva last night (opens across the French part of Switzerland today). Both are perfectly acceptable vehicles in which Denzel Washington dispatches people in the name of justice in violent ways while being his charming self.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert

The dopes are my local sports talk radio station were calling Tom Cruise the greatest actor of his generation because of his eagerness to do all of his own stunts. Does that help make for exciting sequences? For sure! Is he a decent to excellent actor? He can be! But I'm not sure why his eagerness to risk death should give him extra credit in the acting department though.

I'll need to see "Fallout" again when it comes out on video, I seem to be the only one like merely liked it. Also I need to watch "Rogue Nation".

Then shouldn't Jackie Chan be the greatest actor of all time?
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    I saw the Gargoyles movie. Was great.
    bmaninc said:

I saw the Gargoyles movie. Was great.

Wait, wouldn't that be just the first five episodes edited together? I remember seeing that as a kid, expecting it to be a whole new thing, only for it to be the pilot episodes again, and being a little disappointed.

But hey, maybe as a film it works better than I remember. I was, like, five or six when I saw it, so that could very well be the case. Either way, now I want to watch the series again, I remember revisiting it as a teenager and gaining a new appreciation for it.
    Having intended to watch it in the theaters back in March only to discover it was pulled from the Swiss release schedule shortly before release, I imported the US 4K BD of A Wrinkle in Time.

I love it. It's a visual trip and super new-agey, but the performances and the plot didn't lose me even though I never read the source material (a particular phobia of mine manifested when I saw the cover to "A Wind in the Door") and I liked how imperfect most all the characters are. I'm sad there won't be any more movies in this potential franchise but I'm happy this one got made.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Watched Mission Impossible: Fallout with @LiveHomeVideo and we thought it was a pretty fun popcorn movie. We haven't watched any of the other sequels but it wasn't that hard to get up to speed on what had happened previously through the in-movie dialogue thankfully.

Only real issue I have with it really is that the funniest scenes in the movie (one involving a funeral, somehow) came right after a big dramatic moment, which was a bit odd as it seems like it would have made more sense beforehand in terms of tone, and also that I don't think the movie know what an anarchist is as the evil organization clearly has a leader, which was somewhat distracting and immersion-breaking whenever that came up.

I did find it pretty weird and amusing though that they filmed a bunch of this in Norway (which is one of the reasons I was curios to see it despite not being up to date on the rest of the sequels), but all the scenes filmed here are actually set in Kashmir in the movie. Apparently it was cause for controversy here since our government apparently paid them to film here for the sake of tourism exposure, so that's quite the thing. Also amusing, there is an evil Norwegian nuclear scientist in the movie played by an actual big-name Norwegian actor that is helping the bad guys make nukes, the only thing is that Norway don't have a nuclear weapons program so its really weird how he knows this well how to make them portable mini-nukes :tongue:

In less "riff-y" comments about the film I liked the sound design a lot, as I thought it had some really clever audio tricks that worked well with the action of the movie, and I'm also amused how in this movie with the subtitle Fallout, where they have portable mini-nukes no less as mentioned, there is a evil cult wanting to nuke the world in a misguided attempt at making peace. Makes you wonder if anyone involved played any video games on the side while writing it

Anyways, would give it a 8/10, solid action, solid writing and overall a pretty well done action film
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Saw "Crazy Rich Asians" today and it was good. An enjoyable chick-flick for a dude, so take your woman, score some points, and enjoy a good movie.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    Watched "Bright" on Netflix the other night, a weird mix of buddy-cop/fantasy with Will Smith. It was critically panned, and for good reason I think (not the best screen writing, too on-the-nose social commentary), but I still enjoyed it. It reminded me a lot of the Shadowrun universe, but without the cyberpunk elements.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    "Pandas" in IMAX
    3D is infinitely better than the last time I used it.
    It was adorable, and Kristen Bell is a great narrator.
    edited August 27
    I think To All the Boys I've Loved Before was my first Netflix original movie, and it was very charming and breezy and enjoyable. Dad wanted to watch it since he'd been reading a lot about Crazy Rich Asians and as that doesn't even have a release date in the French-speaking part of Switzerland (the French and German parts of Switzerland have distinct release dates despite the movies usually carrying both sets of subtitles; maybe it's because of the dub work), he wanted to watch another movie where the lead character was Asian.

We both laughed at a lot of it, so it did what it was supposed to do: be a romantic comedy with an Asian-American lead without it being steeped in the "OMG it's an Asian-American character, we need to parade this fact around!"ness that it could have been drenched in.

It might sound weird to non-AsAms, but both CRA and TAtBILB are both important to me in this way. I've read articles talking about how Asians aren't particularly attracted to the Americanness of CRA, and that's fine. The lead is Asian-American, and it's not meant to be something native Asians can identify with. (A lot of the time AsAms don't identify with Asian culture much in the same way African-Americans don't necessarily identify with African culture*.) So CRA, from what I can tell (not having watched it yet), portrays some situations that are relatively unique to ABC**s. TAtBILB, on the other hand, does a good job providing a lead that emphasizes the American part of "Asian-American." Teenage high-school drama plays across lots of Americans; in this case, she just happens to be of Asian descent.

Anyway, fun movie! Nothing Monumental about it, which to me reads as the important thing about it.

* Though I suppose Asians generally know from which heritage they hail (as in "Chinese-/Japanese-/Korean-/Vietnamese-American") whereas it's more difficult for Africans, particularly those whose lineages can't be traced Because Reasons Not to Be Discussed Here.
    ** American-Born Chinese, for those unaware.
  • edited August 27
    Heh, I have quite the update. I've seen five of these beforehand, but upon re-watching some of them, I feel obliged to include them for the sake of simply doing so.

Johnny Mnemonic

Critics absolutely trashed this film when it came out back in 1995, but it's actually a fairly enjoyable, cheesy, science fiction film. I found it a bit derivative in parts, and some parts were... awkward (including scenes done in early CGI that stuck out particularly severely), but I recommend it to those that are fond of sci-fi/action films, or just Keanu Reeves.

The short story's better though.

The Matrix

It was on Sony Crackle last month, and I have to say, it still holds up. I don't suppose I have to explain much considering it's, you know, The Matrix, but still, a fun, thought-provoking film.

They Came from Beyond Space!

I watched this one on Comet, which for those unaware, is a science-fiction TV network, and as you can probably judge from the title, this film was cheesier than the box of Cheez-Its I have in my pantry. It's a British science-fiction flick from 1967 (if I remember correctly) about an alien fleet that descends into a field near a rural town, and from there, there's disease, some classic sci-fi tropes, and then some. At any point, it vaguely reminded me of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Color Out of Space," tons of schlocky space movies from the same time, among other things, but for what it was, I had fun with it. In terms of the film itself, it really isn't good, but it's enjoyably bad.

Krull

Is this film derivative of other, better movies? Yes! Is it as cheesy as an 80s fantasy film can get? Yes! Does it rank highly on the awesomeness scale? Absolutely yes!

I'll just say there's a reason why critics hated it, and a reason why it has a sizable cult following, and leave it at that.

Anaconda

It's a cheesy action flick about a gigantic snake that eats people. It's quite the romp and it's quite entertaining, I'll give it that, but a good movie it is not. I would describe it as so bad it's good, if you will.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is a good movie.

I eagerly await the Wyld Stallyns debut album any day now.

Metropolis (1927)

I'd like to note I re-watched the 1984 Giorgio Moroder version that has the 'contemporary score' with the likes of Freddie Mercury, Pat Benatar, and Billy Squier doing the music, but apart from that, story-wise you are getting the same film as you would any other versions (with perhaps a bit less footage, of course, and it's at a faster frame-rate with subtitles so the length's dramatically shortened in that regard).

That said, this film was... prescient, quite prescient, but to call it 'fantastic' would be underselling it. Much like Citizen Kane, or Casablanca, this film more than likely has not been watched as much as it should be, but go and watch it! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There might be more, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head at the moment.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    "Rampage" was MUCH more enjoyable than I expected it to be. Chalk up yet another entry in the "Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson can save any premise" list of movies. This movie was a lot like that last American Godzilla movie.

My main technical question is this: the ape was WAY bigger than the wolf and the alligator prior to mutation, so why was he so much smaller than each afterwards?
    @NightmareLyre and I went to see Incredibles 2. Overall pretty decent; story isn't really phenomenal (it's got a lot of the same beats as the first, so it kinda feels like retreading a bit) but the jokes were still pretty funny, which made it enjoyable to see in a theater. I'd give it a 6/10. As for the short before, I have no idea what to even think with that; tbh I was horrified by it, and even if one bit of it is rather dark, I'm not entirely sure that was the intention.

An unrelated tangent, but I am really glad they show children's movies here in both Norwegian and English (with Norwegian subtitles). That way the small children can go to the version with the language they more easily understand, and people like me don't have to listen to a Norwegian dub. No seriously, Norwegian dubs can be soulcrushingly abysmal.
  • edited August 29

@NightmareLyre and I went to see Incredibles 2. Overall pretty decent; story isn't really phenomenal (it's got a lot of the same beats as the first, so it kinda feels like retreading a bit) but the jokes were still pretty funny, which made it enjoyable to see in a theater. I'd give it a 6/10. As for the short before, I have no idea what to even think with that; tbh I was horrified by it, and even if one bit of it is rather dark, I'm not entirely sure that was the intention.

An unrelated tangent, but I am really glad they show children's movies here in both Norwegian and English (with Norwegian subtitles). That way the small children can go to the version with the language they more easily understand, and people like me don't have to listen to a Norwegian dub. No seriously, Norwegian dubs can be soulcrushingly abysmal.

Bao is an allegorical work, from what I can understand, about a mother with empty nest syndrome. Having seen the short film, I can vouch that it makes a bit more sense after reading the general reasoning behind it.

Then again, I didn't find it that bizarre in the first place, but I am perhaps desensitized to weird things after spending plenty of time around stuff weirder than that short :tongue:
    edited August 29
    coolkat said:

Bao is an allegorical work, from what I can understand, about a mother with empty nest syndrome. Having seen the short film, I can vouch that it makes a bit more sense after reading the general reasoning behind it.

Then again, I didn't find it that bizarre in the first place, but I am perhaps desensitized to weird things after spending plenty of time around stuff weirder than that short :tongue:
    I watch a lot of weird stuff (like, really weird stuff, I used to be known around here as the one who watches weird-ass movies).

I just didn't expect to see a Pixar short film where a mother eats her metaphorical child, is all. I'd expect that from, like, an obscure European art-house animation studio or some s***, but not Pixar. :p
    i re-watched raiders of the lost ark to get ready for shadow of the tomb raider, next up, the temple of doom
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - I don’t get why this film got such critical reviews and audience dislike. Sure, I’m not familiar with the source “material”, nor am I familiar with The Guardians of the Galaxy’s, but to me, both these films were very entertaining and similar (simply put, weird creatures and planets and worlds and weapons and visuals and comedy and a story about saving something, etc. etc.) and I don’t get the disparity in reviews. I hope the supposed sequel gets made. I’ll watch and enjoy it. Same for if they find a suitable “replacement” for GotG.