What were the last movies you watched?

Comments

• BachiG said:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - I don’t get why this film got such critical reviews and audience dislike. Sure, I’m not familiar with the source “material”, nor am I familiar with The Guardians of the Galaxy’s, but to me, both these films were very entertaining and similar (simply put, weird creatures and planets and worlds and weapons and visuals and comedy and a story about saving something, etc. etc.) and I don’t get the disparity in reviews. I hope the supposed sequel gets made. I’ll watch and enjoy it. Same for if they find a suitable “replacement” for GotG.

I like Valerian a lot and am similarly unfamiliar with the source material. I don't think it's a great movie or anything, and I realize a lot of people will hate it. But I do like it a lot. I love the lead pairing of modern-day young versions of Mariel Hemingway and Keanu Reeves.
  • Watched The Last Jedi for the first time

wow that was super boring...
  • edited September 2018
    X-Men: Days Of Future Past

Did they ever do anything with the twist at the end that the Stryker who captured Wolverine was actually Mystique in disguise? All I remember is that Apocalypse set 10 years later just had Logan at the Weapon X facility as if the Stryker who captured him was the real deal.

Also, I can’t help but wonder where Deadpool is during the future scenes.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    edited September 2018
    Went to see Searching earlier. It was... interesting, in parts, to see a mystery/thriller set entirely through modern technology and screens, but that gimmick was the most interesting thing about the film. Most of the rest felt by the numbers, which isn't necessarily bad, until it got to the big reveal and ending. I won't spoil it for anyone, but, I will say that it was too "clean" an ending for the story it was telling, and it got rid of any goodwill I had for the film. 4/10.
  • Hm, not really a movie but i watched Horseland on Netflix. ^^
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    YO peoples!

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is great!

There's some dark stuff going on in it but for any fan of a good comic book movie, I suggest giving it a look! My wife and I took the boys and I caught her laughing during the film and said she liked it! And she is nowhere near a Spider-Man fan!

8.5/10

Venom was not as bad as I thought.

I genuinely laughed out loud at some parts, and I enjoyed Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock. Otherwise - unless the origin story for Venom has been retconned drastically - I had a hard time getting into the movie version of Venom because it seemed so far off from what I remember in the comics.

6/10
  • The Christmas Chronicles featuring Kurt Russell as Santa Claus: I liked it. Yes it's a corny xmas movie, but it owns it and does it well. It borrows heavily from "Earnest Saves Christmas" (my all-time favorite xmas movie), but even that is okay. I give it Five Wheels of Cheeze and recommend it to anyone who like corny cheezy good-natured xmas flicks.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    And features Kurt doing his full Elvis with the E Street Band. That alone is worth the price of admission
  • finally saw avengers infinity war on Christmas day, a lot going on in that movie. I think I am going to have to rewatch it a few more times to catch everything.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    I tried watching that Black Mirror 'choose your own adventure' Bandersnatch movie with my wife on New Year's eve.

Liked the idea, hated the whole thing.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    At the theater:

Mary Poppins Returns: I'm always down for a musical and I didn't mind this movie at all. I liked it.

AguaMan: let's just call this "Shirtless Thor" and move on. I am soooo tired of the whole super-hero thing. Endless fighting with no real damage and no real tension, and then something incredible/ridiculous happens to end the fight. Yawn.

At Home:

Ocean's 8: At least I was able to look at my phone during this "wife pick". Just like a super-hero movie, I hate a story without tension. 10 million moving parts, each of them outlandish, pulled off in perfect synchronization. Whatever.
  • Finally saw Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse. Very good and worth going out of your way to see.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was a lot of fun and incredibly engaging, and it made me smile throughout the whole thing.

Teen Titans Go! to the Movies was also fabulously tongue-in-cheek, and the fact that they managed to parody Stan Lee cameos and threw in some terrifically dark punchlines (including one involving Martha Wayne's pearl necklace, which was probably my favorite throwaway gag) into what was otherwise a bright and shiny movie made me love it all the more. It's almost like animated Deadpool (considering it has Deathstroke in it, that also makes some sort of sense), in a way that actually works.

Aquaman was enjoyable enough. A bit too much whiz-bang at the end, but I liked how everything was resolved. Jason Momoa and Amber Heard have no romantic chemistry considering how attractive they are, but their bickering was funny.

Mary Poppins Returns may have been asking too much for a matinee, in that my mother and I fell asleep during it at different times. The cast was perfect and I cannot find fault in its music; we may just have been too tired.

I still can't believe Julie Andrews did Aquaman instead of Mary Poppins Returns.