Do away with the Strum Bars...

arayaray Rising Star
edited November 2008 in Rock Band
Hey this may be a stretch in reality but...

PDA's use a stylus
GBA use a stylus

Why cant we have a guitar made with a touch screen used with a stylus type Pick to strum the notes ?

It would add to the feeling of a real guitar in so many ways.

The cost would be the only thing holding this tech gadget back but.. Hell enough people purchased the ION at 300.00

I'm sure a stylus / touch screen guitar strum would sell for 150.00 and It would be a instant sucess.

EDIT: damn.. now I should have called dibbs on this ... another Million dollar idea... gone to waste. .....sigh.

Comments

• SilentCricketSilentCricket Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    actually have you tried the new guitar from GHWT? i got it and it works on rockband too, the new guitar has a new feature, where the solo buttons are on the RB guitar is replaced with 5 touch pads in the same color as the other buttons,GRYBO, which allows you to tap during solos instead of strumming, but you can also use this strip to strum the rest of the song, so instead of using the strum bar you just tap anywhere on the strip, i can play an entire song without touching the strum bar at all, you can even use this strip for a whammy effect instead of the whammy bar.

:)
  • JainayJainay Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Actually, a guitar like that, would kick so much ass. I would buy one, INSTANTLY. And though the World Tour guitar, has the touch-sensitive neck buttons, its not the same as this idea. It's a different experience.
  • MushroomMushroom Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Doesn't the Guitar Hero DS game do this too? However, I heard it's kind of awkward strumming in the that method.
  • JainayJainay Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Yeah well, that's because you're holding a DS, and it doesn't feel like a real guitar. It feels like failure. This would be much better.
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    The DS touch screen pick for GH:OT feels akward for any fast strumming. keeping a stady beat is fine but quickly strumming is kinda tough. how about a single string and an electronic pick you have to strum? I remember there was a mod like this a year ago or so, itd be great to see a real official one
  • snwns26snwns26 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    What you're suggesting is basically GH:OT for DS. It's really terrible and imprecise. Drops a lot of notes, it's worse than the worst real controller most of the time. It's not the DS, it's the actual mechanic.

And replacing touch screens is a lot more expensive when RMAing.
  • StrumbarStrumbar Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    1: u can never do away with me. i am the greatest. check wiki.

2: gba doesnt have a stylus. the ds does.

3: it is not anymore realistic than current strumbars.

4: it is horribly imprecise and considering how unforgiving rock band is, this would make the game unfun unless the hit-box size tripled.
  • Sudden_InfluxSudden_Influx Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    Try playing Guitar Hero on the Nintendo DS, which uses a stylus. Once you do that, you'll realize how horrible of an idea that is. Even with a touch screen like that on a full sized plastic guitar, the end result would still be an epic fail.
  • TenshiTenshi Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Sounds cool but in reality I think its horrible. I thought the one string method sounded awesome so I rebuild my guitar, put one guitar string and used a pick to strum but that was not good either. The sound from the string was horrible and it was easy to miss the string when strumming fast.

I think the fake guitar makers have thought about many different solutions but in reality the normal strumbar we have today is the most perfect solution for now.
  • gocryemokidgocryemokid Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    There's a reason they only use that technology on small handheld devices.

And besides that its a terrible idea. Horribely unrealistic, no physical feedback, and with the amount of problem with current peripherals this type of technology is the last thing we need to complicate the already tiring process
  • Lone BulldogsLone Bulldogs Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    NO we need the strum bar. The touch strip and solo buttons are cool but the sturm bar is a must. HMX can alway work on improving it like Mad Catz did with their bass but it must stay.
  • flesheatingcowflesheatingcow Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    If you really want a more realistic experience, just buy the string mod off of ebay.
  • Pezell04xPezell04x Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    i hate the solo buttons, my fingers are way to big to be playing those small things haha
  • ZenweaponryZenweaponry Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    I would just keep on playing with my strum bar because playing with a stylus and actually strumming strings is pretty different.
  • litaljohnlitaljohn Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    i think the strum bars a much better fit. while the idea is novel and certainly would scoop in cash for the originality, I would have to think the thing would cause more trouble then its worth.

I doubt it would be nearly as responsive and the fustration from overstrumming, or missing notes out of nowhere would seem rampant. (well at least it would be blamed for it, because as we all know all of us on the forums are gods and if we ever don't fc a song, its because of some shoddy guitar and never us ;) )

plus I think actually hitting something, albeit a strum bar button, feels more like playing a guitar to me than a magic waiving pik. at least with the strum bar you have some sort of actual resistance or pressure going back, waiving stuff around is more for nintendo products than rock band products (save of course for the guitar games for the wii)
  • jtrousdjtrousd Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    aray;1569055 said:
    Why cant we have a guitar made with a touch screen used with a stylus type Pick to strum the notes ?

It would add to the feeling of a real guitar in so many ways.
    Because when you play a real guitar you aren't picking a flat surface to activate a string. :P
  • eVan_DieseleVan_Diesel Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    I think that sounds like a terrible idea.
  • BakksterBakkster Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    It seems like a touch screen would be a step away from realism. The Strat's strum bar is more realistic already, in that you can actually use a pick to play it. Why would we go backwards and remove the physical sensation of the string/pick?

Besides, if you lose the stylus, suddenly it's even less realistic as you try to tap your fingernail...
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    A string would be more realistic, but I'm sure the engineers already thought of that and realized they would constantly break.
  • deediaredeediare Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    I bet you'd love to play this then, lulz.
    [ATTACH]2503[/ATTACH]

From Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5040223/guitar-hero-on-tour-full-size-guitar-mod
    314 x 189 - 12K
  • edited November 2008
    Not a bad idea. I like the idea of the string mod or the break beam sensor mod I am working on a little better. :)

I have considered moving one of the magnetic contact switches to the face of the guitar and strumming at it with a magnetic pic which would be similar to your idea in feel I think.

Its on the "to do" list.
  • edited November 2008
    deediare;1569487 said:
    I bet you'd love to play this then, lulz.
    [ATTACH]2503[/ATTACH]

From Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5040223/guitar-hero-on-tour-full-size-guitar-mod
    Now I have seen everything. :P

This looks clever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHFtlyBL44
  • insertname155insertname155 Rising Star
    edited November 2008
    If Guitar Hero On Tour taught me anything it's that stylus style strumming is very very very very flawed.
  • chillzatlchillzatl Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    it would be a bad idea and would only sell to those people who think having everything makes them l33t. Musical instruments have tactile feedback and fake ones need it as well.
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    Actually, if this was done right, it could be phenominal... just have a touch screen with a "line" down the middle which will be the stum line... any time you drag the pick down or up over it, it counts as a 'stum'... it would also ween off so many players who use their thumb to strum, and give amore authentic feel.

I'm all for this.
  • GriminalGriminal Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Strumming a touch pad or screen with a pick is no more authentic than using your thumb on the strum bar that is already in place or just using a pick on that strum bar.
  • EvilMalletEvilMallet Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    Everyone says its a horrible idea, but I think its great. The ability for actual guitar players to increase their strumming speed playing Rock Band seems great. I have played GH:OT, and the technology is great, but it isnt for a handheld.
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited November 2008
    It also weens down strummers like myself off of that horrible habit we've gotten into which makes it near impossible to get a good score on anything tiered 7.

And yes, I thought the style/touch pad strumming for OT was stupid, but like someone said, ebcause it was hand held. On an actual guitar controller, it would be coo.
  • GriminalGriminal Opening Act
    edited November 2008
    EvilMallet;1571122 said:
    Everyone says its a horrible idea, but I think its great. The ability for actual guitar players to increase their strumming speed playing Rock Band seems great. I have played GH:OT, and the technology is great, but it isnt for a handheld.
    IF someone plays guitar their strumming speed should not be hindered by the strum bar. Not enough where it's going to make a difference in this game anyway.