Rock Band VR's Final Setlist and First DLC Reveal [Discussion Thread]

Comments

• uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    tnevaker said:

oh yeah, and as far as the DLC goes, i guess this means those six Aerosmith songs will be playable when "VR Mode" comes out as a new play mode in the next RB4 paid expansion.

What do you mean? We have those for RB4 or you mean the VR versions of the songs?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

oh yeah, and as far as the DLC goes, i guess this means those six Aerosmith songs will be playable when "VR Mode" comes out as a new play mode in the next RB4 paid expansion.

What do you mean? We have those for RB4 or you mean the VR versions of the songs?
    i mean the VR "chord lane" charts which would be necessary for any songs to be playable in VR mode, since VR mode is basically like freestyle mode expanded to entire chord-based sections of the song. so when that freestyle chord play mode comes to RB4, only songs that already are charted for that play style will be playable in that mode. the entire library won't be available in that mode because they don't have the necessary charts. presumably any songs released as RBVR DLC could also be made available for that same play mode in RB4 when it's added, possibly as a DLC upgrade to those tracks (kind of like the pro guitar upgrades were handled on RB3)
  • NavyCherubNavyCherub Unsigned
    Mmm, Pierce the Veil, Rush, Band of Horses, Dream Theater...RB4 please!
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

i mean the VR "chord lane" charts which would be necessary for any songs to be playable in VR mode, since VR mode is basically like freestyle mode expanded to entire chord-based sections of the song. so when that freestyle chord play mode comes to RB4, only songs that already are charted for that play style will be playable in that mode. the entire library won't be available in that mode because they don't have the necessary charts. presumably any songs released as RBVR DLC could also be made available for that same play mode in RB4 when it's added, possibly as a DLC upgrade to those tracks (kind of like the pro guitar upgrades were handled on RB3)
    The chord lane charts seem like a guided EGS/Freestyle Guitar mode. I don't know if it'll actually come to RB4.
    obviously they won't say it now (don't want to steal the new game's thunder) but i have a hard time believing they'd expend so much effort on a game only a few thousand people will ever buy. Oculus is footing the bill, so they won't lose money on it and whatever money they make off game sales and DLC is icing on the cake. and to their credit HMX didn't just phone it in and actually made a whole new game mode for this game, but they have to know the sales are going to be tiny and i hope they used this opportunity to leverage as much as possible to be used later in the real RB game.
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    edited March 17
    tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

It's basically Endless Solo Mode which already exists in Rock Band 4. All songs post-RB4 are already fully charted with this, and all pre-RB4 songs with solos have this charting as well.

Rock Band VR is essentially Endless Solo Mode, but with a FRICKTON more control over your sound. Different chord shapes actually mean different things now, and the zero-lag setup of VR means it works much better.

It's a really hard experience to describe, but I would liken it to a scored Endless Solo Mode on crack. It's really, really fun.
    edited March 17
    The song I played on the demo was When You Were Young. It starts off with a tutorial that explains how different chords work and let's you practice to understand how they sound.

Then it dumps you onstage, which in VR is incredibly surreal. It's so odd to BE the character onstage. But anyway, above the crowd you see a side-scrolling highway broken up into bars and measures. For the most part, it's blank- you use different chord shapes and notes to fill in the chart for a score (with different combinations earning different points.) At first my brain was trying to patch in how I remember the song and chart from Rock Band 1, and it actually sounded like the real song. I was playing guitar without actually playing guitar, and it's so strange and so cool and so fun.

As the song went on, I explored more sounds and chord shapes and freestyled a bit- as long as I stayed somewhat on rhythm, the game didn't care. Since I couldn't remember the solo, I totally freestyled that, and it sounded amazing (HMX has really nailed that tech since Rock Band 4.) Then I finished, did some whammy flourishes on the last notes, and accepted my five star score.

It's a very tough game to sell, but I loved absolutely every moment of it.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited March 17
    One thing I don't like about the Freestyle Solo mode of RB4 is that, when playing on an RB-franchise guitar, there are the Blue and Orange sections indicating the cued sections are to be played on the lower or mini sets of frets - and I'd always get crushed on the transition. Does the RBVR scoring ever require you to switch from one fret-set to the other? Does it do anything different on one rather than the other (different sounds? Strumless hammering on the minis?).

(I can't imagine that even if there ever exists a world when I have RBVR, it'll let me play using my PS3 GH5 guitar...)
  • Pricing will naturally a little for songs, the price for the RB VR guitar and game are priced great. The only problem is not having hundreds of spare dollars around to buy the Oculus Rift. I'll be honest though I'm gonna buy the RB VR when I have spare cash just because I know for a fact that a friend of mine is getting the Oculus Rift.
    edited March 17
    There were no cues to switch from low to high frets whatsoever. I stayed on the low frets the entire time- I wish I would have tried out the high ones (I bet they change things up).

The game gives very few cues at all except some visuals to help guide rhythm an an indicator that a solo is approaching. It holds your hand a lot less than Rock Band 4 does, and the effect of that is that you earn a lot more freedom and control over what you're playing. Hence why my brain panicked at first and tried to snap to "oh ****, what does the actual When You Were Young sound like?"
  • The song I played on the demo was When You Were Young. It starts off with a tutorial that explains how different chords work and let's you practice to understand how they sound.

Then it dumps you onstage, which in VR is incredibly surreal. It's so odd to BE the character onstage. But anyway, above the crowd you see a side-scrolling highway broken up into bars and measures. For the most part, it's blank- you use different chord shapes and notes to fill in the chart for a score (with different combinations earning different points.) At first my brain was trying to patch in how I remember the song and chart from Rock Band 1, and it actually sounded like the real song. I was playing guitar without actually playing guitar, and it's so strange and so cool and so fun.

As the song went on, I explored more sounds and chord shapes and freestyled a bit- as long as I stayed somewhat on rhythm, the game didn't care. Since I couldn't remember the solo, I totally freestyled that, and it sounded amazing (HMX has really nailed that tech since Rock Band 4.) Then I finished, did some whammy flourishes on the last notes, and accepted my five star score.

What exactly has HMX nailed about the solo tech since RB4?
    Less Lag? It sounds better?

Regardless, if it's better, I want it updated in a RB4 patch!
    edited March 17

The song I played on the demo was When You Were Young. It starts off with a tutorial that explains how different chords work and let's you practice to understand how they sound.

What exactly has HMX nailed about the solo tech since RB4?
    Less Lag? It sounds better?

Regardless, if it's better, I want it updated in a RB4 patch!
    Very hard to describe, but it just sounds... more 'real' this time around. Like, instead of canned guitar sounds matching the pitch, I think the game actually made my guitar have similar reverb and tone to the one The Killers use. It was so cool.

And yeah, better control over the hardware means that lag was completely gone.

Literally everything about this game is hard to put into words. Whereas any other game you can say "Yeah, I climbed a tree and used a paraglider to fly down the mountain," Rock Band VR is basically "I put on this headset and guitar and **** happened."

I think that may be VR in general, though.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

I think that may be VR in general, though.

It probably is. I mean, I had trouble explaining the idea behind Superhot VR to my mother, but the moment she tried it out she was screaming like a banshee and forgetting that the world would move in real-time whenever she did.

Heck, I love Superhot and was almost totally unprepared for Superhot VR.
  • Looking at the full list, I'd say these are my top 10 favourite songs that's new to the franchise:
    1. Kings of Leon - "Use Somebody"
    2. blink-182 - "Bored to Death"
    3. Rush - "Freewill (Vault Edition)"
    4. Paramore - "Ain't It Fun"
    5. Dream Theater - "Pull Me Under"
    6. The Pretty Reckless - "Heaven Knows"
    7. Oasis - "Champagne Supernova"
    8. Carrie Underwood - "Church Bells"
    9. The Black Keys - "Gold on the Ceiling"
    10. Coldplay - "Birds"
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    tnevaker said:

I'm pretty sure there won't be a "VR Mode" in Rock Band 4. It would completely tank any reason to own RBVR itself. Oculus is paying Harmonix to develop games for their platform, they're not going to let Harmonix turn around and just add that to consoles. Rock Band is one of the few, big name franchises on Oculus.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited March 17
    tdc002 said:

tnevaker said:

I'm pretty sure there won't be a "VR Mode" in Rock Band 4. It would completely tank any reason to own RBVR itself. Oculus is paying Harmonix to develop games for their platform, they're not going to let Harmonix turn around and just add that to consoles. Rock Band is one of the few, big name franchises on Oculus.
    I thought the main selling point of VR was, well, VR. Even duplicating the images onto people's living room TV sets ... immediately takes away the primary lure of Oculus (full VR immersion). People who are shelling out for Oculus are doing so primarily because of what it offers that sitting-in-front-of-a-TV games can't.

And in any case, I don't think the suggestion is that RB4 do any form of 'virtual reality', but that RB4 get a mode that mimics what is effectively the augmented endless freestyle mode that is the default play mode of RBVR. Which would make sense once whatever exclusivity term (6 months?) they might have with Oculus expires.
  • Songs I'm excited about that I hope come to Rock Band 4 are

Ain't It Fun- Paramore
    Champagne Supernova- Oasis
    Counting Stars- OneRepublic
    Float- Switchfoot
    Gold On The Ceiling- The Black Keys
    Heaven Knows- The Pretty Reckless
    I Will Wait- Mumford & Sons
    Lights Out- AudioDamn!
    Maps- Maroon 5
    Rebel Heart- The Shelters
    Running With the Wild Things- Against the Current
    Bored To Death- blink-182
    Glass House- Kaleo
    Use Somebody- Kings of Leon
    Circles- Pierce The Veil
  • DJMAKODJMAKO Opening Act
    I'm thinking that if we get the new songs for RB4 then it will be a couple months before we see them. One more reason for people to buy it.

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

It's basically Endless Solo Mode which already exists in Rock Band 4. All songs post-RB4 are already fully charted with this, and all pre-RB4 songs with solos have this charting as well.

Rock Band VR is essentially Endless Solo Mode, but with a FRICKTON more control over your sound. Different chord shapes actually mean different things now, and the zero-lag setup of VR means it works much better.

It's a really hard experience to describe, but I would liken it to a scored Endless Solo Mode on crack. It's really, really fun.
    it's different enough that they had to make new charts for the entire song. even the songs with freestyle guitar only have the solos charted. i don't play guitar so i don't know exactly how endless freestyle mode works, but as far as i know it's not charted, it just allows you to play randomly over top any song, even ones without freestyle solos. so this new mode would still require songs with full song-length charts, and so far the only songs we know to have those charts are the 60 VR songs and the 6 Aerosmith DLC songs.

i suppose they could just cheap out and use existing freestyle mode with some kind of scoring system overlaid on top of it, but how would you even score such a random mode without some underlying chart to compare to? seems pointless to add scoring to endless freestyle mode as a dumbed down version of this new play style being used in the VR game. if they're going to bring it over, i would think they'd bring it over with the full chart-based scoring system intact.
    tdc002 said:

tnevaker said:

exclusivity is always a possibility (and one we never get told about) but i don't see it as likely. as you say, if RB is one of the few big franchises in Oculus, that doesn't exactly put Oculus in a great position to demand exclusivity. and it's possible any exclusivity would have an expiration date, and probably a lot less than the rumoured 5-year agreements we've heard with band exclusivity in the past. also, how do you define which parts of the new game mode are exclusive to RBVR? i could see exclusivity in terms of not releasing an identical game for Playstation VR or other VR platforms, which are Oculus' real competition. but the scoring method and play style by themselves don't necessarily lend themselves to exclusivity, especially when it's already been pointed out that there are major similarities between existing freestyle mode and the new chord-free mode.

i would also think things like certain songs on the soundtrack would be more likely to receive limited exclusivity. we'll find out more when these songs start getting released as RB4 DLC. if some of the obvious choices don't come right away, it's reasonable to assume there is some kind of soundtrack exclusivity at work. but there's no single big artist or big song on this soundtrack that is not already available in other RB games, so there's no obvous candidate for a bigger exclusivity agreement.
    edited March 17
    tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

it's different enough that they had to make new charts for the entire song. even the songs with freestyle guitar only have the solos charted. i don't play guitar so i don't know exactly how endless freestyle mode works, but as far as i know it's not charted, it just allows you to play randomly over top any song, even ones without freestyle solos. so this new mode would still require songs with full song-length charts, and so far the only songs we know to have those charts are the 60 VR songs and the 6 Aerosmith DLC songs.

i suppose they could just cheap out and use existing freestyle mode with some kind of scoring system overlaid on top of it, but how would you even score such a random mode without some underlying chart to compare to? seems pointless to add scoring to endless freestyle mode as a dumbed down version of this new play style being used in the VR game. if they're going to bring it over, i would think they'd bring it over with the full chart-based scoring system intact.
    Freestyle is actually charted in Rock Band 4! It's essentially a chart of the song's chord progression and key information. All songs with any form of freestyle in Rock Band 4 have the entire song's chord progression charted because vocal freestyle also requires this to work (that information is not just for guitar solos and vocal freestyle- it also improves the hand animations for strings-based characters). It's not just for the solos.

Endless Solo Mode allows you to play freestyle over any track that has those chord progressions charted. You should try it out one day- it's nifty!

Rock Band VR seems like it uses that same underlying chord progression tech and kicks it into high gear by adding a scoring system, new ways to play with different chord patterns, and improving the guitar sounds themselves. It feels kinda(?) like Rock Band 4's freestyle, but at the same time there's a hell of a lot more depth to it.

We had Pro Guitar, Pro Drums, and Pro Keys... well, VR's gameplay is essentially Pro Freestyle mode. Same base idea and tech, but MUCH deeper.

Either way, moot point, I'd say there's about a 0% chance of VR's freestyle mode coming to the main game. They're two totally different experiences- VR's makes sense in VR, and RB4's makes sense in RB4.
    I genuinely liked freestyle guitar in Rock Band 4, which is probably why I quickly fell into love when I played Rock Band VR.

If you're the type of person who goes into a bloodthirsty rage at the thought of anything existing other than five-lane guitar, then VR is probably not the experience for you.

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

Freestyle is actually charted in Rock Band 4! It's essentially a chart of the song's chord progression and key information. All songs with any form of freestyle in Rock Band 4 have the entire song's chord progression charted because vocal freestyle also requires this to work (that information is not just for guitar solos and vocal freestyle- it also improves the hand animations for strings-based characters). It's not just for the solos.

Endless Solo Mode allows you to play freestyle over any track that has those chord progressions charted. You should try it out one day- it's nifty!

Rock Band VR seems like it uses that same underlying chord progression tech and kicks it into high gear by adding a scoring system, new ways to play with different chord patterns, and improving the guitar sounds themselves. It feels kinda(?) like Rock Band 4's freestyle, but at the same time there's a hell of a lot more depth to it.

We had Pro Guitar, Pro Drums, and Pro Keys... well, VR's gameplay is essentially Pro Freestyle mode. Same base idea and tech, but MUCH deeper.

Either way, moot point, I'd say there's about a 0% chance of VR's freestyle mode coming to the main game. They're two totally different experiences- VR's makes sense in VR, and RB4's makes sense in RB4.
    well, if they really are able to use existing freestyle charts, that would just make it easier to bring a similar mode over to RB4 sometime later. instead of something only available on a few songs, it would be available on your entire library, making that mode more attractive. it's obviously not going to be the same as VR, but having a scored freestyle mode seems attractive enough to make it worthy of inclusion in an update. certainly more so than the current non-scored freestyle mode, or brutal mode.

i could swear thought that GNF said something about ALL these songs (not just the new ones) needing new charts for VR mode though. but i'm not going to go searching for it through this whole forum. if the current freestyle charts are less complete but still usable, it would probably make more sense to use them anyway to open up the whole library of songs.

whether it comes or not, it's a prediction. that's my prediction. we'll see who's right in about a year or so.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

well, if they really are able to use existing freestyle charts
    We aren't. VR's charting method won't come to Rivals. Figured I'd just...throw that in here since it's getting meaty.
    So long as all the songs make it, I don't care.
  • HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

well, if they really are able to use existing freestyle charts
    We aren't. VR's charting method won't come to Rivals. Figured I'd just...throw that in here since it's getting meaty.
    I don't care what you think, as long as the songs make it in.
    The best of us can find happiness in EXCLUSIVITY
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal

Looking at the full list, I'd say these are my top 10 favourite songs that's new to the franchise:
    1. Kings of Leon - "Use Somebody"
    2. blink-182 - "Bored to Death"
    3. Rush - "Freewill (Vault Edition)"
    4. Paramore - "Ain't It Fun"
    5. Dream Theater - "Pull Me Under"
    6. The Pretty Reckless - "Heaven Knows"
    7. Oasis - "Champagne Supernova"
    8. Carrie Underwood - "Church Bells"
    9. The Black Keys - "Gold on the Ceiling"
    10. Coldplay - "Birds"

That's a great list, and a list of 10 that I'm pretty sure will come to RB4. I'm still unsure about some of the songs I want by slightly lesser-known artists (Band of Horses, Kaleo, Basement) but I'm not too worried about never getting to play the songs on your list.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    I mainly just want the Rush, Ghost, and Basement songs.

Band of Horses is alright I guess they just have so many better songs. Rest of the setlist is of little interest to me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file