RockBandAide's PAX East 2017 interview with Harmonix (RB4, entitlements, RBVR, DropMix and more!)

Comments

• KKFan5 said:

HMXOwl said:

KKFan5 said:

Sure it's annoying for export owners but this isn't different from the summer last year.

you wouldn't see a single person complain
    You've never done this as a job, have you? ; )
    For some clarification I was meaning the people here lol

I did say that it would still be a 2 song week basically and almost everyone here has gotten used to the expectation of 2 new song weeks

And no I have never worked at Harmonix lol
    So Owl's telling you there's a chance :p
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 17
    Is Rock Band not currently their main priority? Are we probably getting no more than 52 new popular songs offered as DLC every year? Yep. Seems like an obvious conclusion to me, and it's understandable to find that disappointing, especially if RB4 is the only Harmonix product that interests you. BUT they just went through the trouble to get an Archer avatar, and the DLC we are getting are all relatively big hits, and we have also twice gotten a big pack of free songs [mostly unknown but seemingly chosen because they are fun to play in the game]. And online play. And a curated list of new Rivals songs every week. I'm a worrier but none of this says "the end is nigh" to me. "The end of how things used to be"? "The end of holding out hope it'll be a trillion dollar business again"? Yep. But not literally "the end".
  • @tnevaker Don't forget about January 2016, there were a few weeks of no DLC because of focusing on export entitlements. So not only could SIEE have prevented us from getting delisted songs already but they could've been a factor for the return to summer 2016 DLC quantity in February 2017 (from a licensing point of view 2 new songs is likely equivalent to 1 new song + 1 Rewind).
    It's been a long time since I saw an official Harmonix post explaining that DLC is reduced because they are temporarily shifting staff to other projects [Rock Band 4 related and otherwise]. So I'm not expecting to get more songs in the future than we have been getting recently. It would be nice if that was the case, and lots of people are holding out hope that it is the case, but we haven't actually been told that the current situation is temporary. Link me to something recent if I missed it.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    RBVR isn't even out yet. It surely makes sense that the time people would have been licensing and charting early-2017 DLC was being spent on licensing and charting RBVR (and clearly licensing work had to be done for DropMix too).

But indeed, HMX doesn 't make a habit of publishing their internal staffing priorities and timelines. Few companies do.
  • @thatmarkguy Well of course the new projects would be a big factor, what I was saying is the entitlements situation would also be a factor especially as we've seen no DLC weeks before as a result of entitlement fixing.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I was replying to meatpop.
    It's certainly possibly that other projects are only temporarily keeping them from giving us more DLC per week. That was explicitly the case back in January 2016 or maybe even more recently than that. It would be a completely legitimate excuse, they have a lot of their plate. But the thing is, I don't see Harmonix using it as an excuse, not for a while now, maybe for as long as a year. People are operating on the assumption that this is all temporary [1 new song per week + usually 1 rewind song too], but I think it's very possible that this is the way it's going to be, for the indefinite future, even after all of the entitlements are finally cleared up and RBVR is fully released and Dropmix is out the door, etc.

It's not like they are going to pop up and make an official announcement to this effect. The absence of a "coming soon: more DLC per week again" is up to you to notice.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    I've said this before, but I'm certain they're holding DLC back until their other products are released and in full swing.

This will keep interest in those products without diminishing the content.

Once they've got their consumers, they'll likely roll the exclusive DLC out to RB4.

...Hopefully
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    I'm all up for HMX trying to earn money through other projects and all.. but when you literally leave your primary game to continue dying through terrible DLC droughts and lack of meaningful updates to help better the RB platform while working on other things, this is where you completely screw over any RB fans you possible have left.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 18

It's certainly possibly that other projects are only temporarily keeping them from giving us more DLC per week. That was explicitly the case back in January 2016 or maybe even more recently than that. It would be a completely legitimate excuse, they have a lot of their plate. But the thing is, I don't see Harmonix using it as an excuse, not for a while now, maybe for as long as a year. People are operating on the assumption that this is all temporary [1 new song per week + usually 1 rewind song too], but I think it's very possible that this is the way it's going to be, for the indefinite future, even after all of the entitlements are finally cleared up and RBVR is fully released and Dropmix is out the door, etc.

It's not like they are going to pop up and make an official announcement to this effect. The absence of a "coming soon: more DLC per week again" is up to you to notice.

Well we've been here before though, HMX giving perfectly valid reasons as detailed as they legally can for why something isn't working out and plenty of the fanbase don't believe it. Entitlements come to mind, especially SIEE exports as well as XB1 AC/DC and 20 free pack.

It's a lose-lose battle, either HMX shares the info and a lot of the fanbase don't believe it or they don't share the info and some of the people who would've believed the info thinks that DLC is how it is currently for the forseeable future.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    Yeah we love blitz. But we want to keep creating games that are breaking new ground mechanically, or are new ways to interact with music.
    I read that as they didn't generate enough revenue to warrant a return to that venture. Which is a shame. The concept was good, but I didn't enjoy the network issues or lack of local multiplayer.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    fruit is iffy, but taco pizza...it's unnatural. just have a burrito, man!
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 20

I read that as they didn't generate enough revenue to warrant a return to that venture. Which is a shame. The concept was good, but I didn't enjoy the network issues or lack of local multiplayer.

Blitz was really produced as a way to try to keep the platform alive in some way as RB3 wound down. it was released a couple years after RB3, when game and DLC sales were dwindling to an unsustainable level for the company, and as hardware was becoming more difficult to find. the game gave them some extra songs to fill out their DLC schedule for the next several months until DLC eventually stopped entirely,

hmmm.... something about that scenario sounds familiar....
    > Blitz was really produced as a way to try to keep the platform alive in some way as RB3 wound down

I agree!

> as hardware was becoming more difficult to find

I agree!

>until DLC eventually stopped entirely,
    >hmmm.... something about that scenario sounds familiar....

I disagree
  • They need to remake Blitz for this generation. I know they don't want to but the fans want it. I'll be honest It's the reason I bought as much DLC on 360 as I did. Just because I knew I could play it on Blitz as well. I bought lots of songs I liked a lot or loved but during the huge sale they had I bought everything that was on sale that I didn't have.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    tnevaker said:

Blitz was really produced as a way to try to keep the platform alive in some way as RB3 wound down. it was released a couple years after RB3, when game and DLC sales were dwindling to an unsustainable level for the company, and as hardware was becoming more difficult to find. the game gave them some extra songs to fill out their DLC schedule for the next several months until DLC eventually stopped entirely,

hmmm.... something about that scenario sounds familiar....
    Blitz songs as DLC was always the plan. The only reason they felt like they were being used to thin out DLC was because they were coming every other week. If they had released them as packs (or even 2-3 smaller packs), it would have eliminated much of the reason to buy Blitz. Releasing them as singles (and occasionally packs with other songs by the artist) was what kept buying Blitz appealing (getting all of the songs for a low price).

I'm not sure I'd compare Rewind songs to Blitz songs though. Does it feel like thinning out DLC? Kinda, since we're only getting one new song a week, and we've even had a week that was just Rewind stuff. But the difference is Harmonix actually has to go back and relicense these songs. Blitz on the other hand, they licensed the songs as part of the game AND DLC all at once.

I think their thinking with the Rewind stuff (and again, this is just my dumb guess) is they don't have the time/resources to devote to Rock Band DLC that had back at launch because of all these new projects. At the same time, there's a sizeable amount of the fanbase that doesn't have these old songs (either switching consoles, never exporting, new to the series, etc). So, relicensing these old sings (which are already charted and ready to go) allows them to sell them again. These are songs they already know are popular and going to sell, and a portion of the players want them. So basically it allows them to keep selling DLC without actually having to spend resources on making DLC.

However, that doesn't mean I'm for it. It offers absolutely nothing to long time, veteran players who bought RB4 expecting a steady stream of DLC. Even the dying days of RB3 had 3 DLC songs a week. It's especially annoying considering Rocksmith averages 3-4 songs a week. These days, Rock Band is averaging 4 new songs a MONTH.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 20
    Rocksmith in 2017 has been pretty varied for quantity, 3 - 6 a week:
    1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/17 - blink-182 (5 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    1/31 - Evanescence (3 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/14 - Coldplay (6 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/28 - Beastie Boys (3 songs)
    3/7 - Avril Lavigne (5 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)
    3/21 - Skid Row (5 songs)
  • Rocksmith in 2017 has been pretty varied for quantity, 3 - 6 a week:
    1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)

HOLD ON A MINUTE...Rocksmith is getting Skid Row? And they recently got Far Behind?
    edited March 20
    KidSleez said:

1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)

HOLD ON A MINUTE...Rocksmith is getting Skid Row? And they recently got Far Behind?
    Rocksmith doesn't need masters. You're essentially just playing guitar tabs along to a recording of the song. That's why they have Skid Row and we don't.
  • TheMuralsTheMurals Unsigned
    edited March 20
    They don't have to use masters at all, not even a final mix master. (I.e. Why we'll never get Skid Row: their masters are literally obliterated thanks to a hurricane, Sandy iirc)

Anyway 24 of those 49 songs (26/52 counting this week's Inside Out and If You Could Only See) are already in Rock Band (not counting Going Under from RBN and Counting Stars from VR), which should be a reminder that Rocksmith has a bigger pool of major songs to still get compared to Rock Band.
  • aimsmallmismallaimsmallmismall Unsigned
    edited March 20
    KidSleez said:

1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)

Well I think we all know the issue with Skid Row for RB, whereas that's not a problem for Rocksmith.. But Far Behind (among other Candlebox gems) is more than likely a possibility for RB, as they re-recorded it a few years back and released it on the back end of Love Stories And Other Musings.

So MAKE IT HAPPEN HARMONIX!!!
  • Ah, I didn't know masters weren't needed for RS. I thought maybe they found some live versions somewhere. Is RS worth picking up for someone who can't play guitar? How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?
  • KidSleez said:

How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?

I mean, it's kinda the point of the game! It's super great and frequently on sale!
  • edited March 20
    I personally stopped playing because audio delay made it impossible to play with.

Then I learned about a month or so ago that they've had a calibration guide around since forever so I should probably do that.
    KidSleez said:

Ah, I didn't know masters weren't needed for RS. I thought maybe they found some live versions somewhere. Is RS worth picking up for someone who can't play guitar? How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?

It's less of a game than it is a guitar teaching software that just happens to be on video game consoles (and PC and Mac). If you genuinely want to learn guitar and are going to take the time to do it, it's a good teaching tool. But it's not really a fun game.
  • HMXOwl said:

KidSleez said:

How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?

I mean, it's kinda the point of the game! It's super great and frequently on sale!
    I should have qualified by saying how likely is it for someone who generally thinks they'd have a difficult time learning an instrument (me), but that would have been a much longer question :)