DLC Discussion Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd and Oasis

Comments

• So all our stoner rock counts this week?
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Wildcat15 said:

So all our stoner rock counts this week?

Doesn't count for me unless Talking Heads and Beastie Boys are included

Oh well
  • akuiken98 said:

akuiken98 said:

"That Smell" is not nearly as laid-back as the other two.

Right, and since that smell is a repeated disc song used for this challenge, they should replace it with Champagne Supernova. That song is perfect for laying back and playing. Especially the intro. Do you think they would listen to us if we push them to change it? Because I'm getting sick of repeating disc songs.

Because Champagne Supernova isn't a jam. It's just laid back.

Edit:
    I could see Caught Up In You being considered a laid back jam and being used instead. But to say That Smell isn't a laid back jam is insane.
    I consider it a jam. See, this is confusing. What's considered a Jam? A song that makes you bang your head? A catchy song?
    Nah think like jam bands. Bands that could get up on stage and just noddle around for a while while still having a rocking sound.

I may have overstated a bit earlier because China Cat Sunflower is not as jammy as a lot of other Grateful Dead, but it's not a bad choice from the grate-est jam band ever.

That Smell and On the Road Again are definitely jamming songs.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

I may have overstated a bit earlier because China Cat Sunflower is not as jammy as a lot of other Grateful Dead, but it's not a bad choice from the grate-est jam band ever.

The guitar solo on CCS, as played in RB1 with the echo effect on, was what got my radar turned onto the Dead at all. It's a masterpiece both melodically and chartwise.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited April 20
    China Cat Sunflower is a very good song pick for calibration testing.

By the way I had a look at the eligible DLC via the ingame store and here's the list:
    - Jimi Hendrix
    - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    - The Grateful Dead
    - Bob Marley and the Wailers
    - Talking Heads
    - Dave Matthews Band
    - Snoop Dogg
    - Siouxsie and The Banshees
    - Phish
    - Black Sabbath (only Sweet Leaf)
    - Steve Miller Band (only The Joker)
    - Willie Nelson
    - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (only Mary Jane's Last Dance)

So I guess it's a 4/20 themed challenge then?
  • China Cat Sunflower is a very good song pick for calibration testing.

By the way I had a look at the eligible DLC via the ingame store and here's the list:
    - Jimi Hendrix
    - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    - The Grateful Dead
    - Bob Marley and the Wailers
    - Talking Heads
    - Dave Matthews Band
    - Snoop Dogg
    - Siouxsie and The Banshees
    - Phish
    - Black Sabbath (only Sweet Leaf)
    - Steve Miller Band (only The Joker)
    - Willie Nelson
    - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (only Mary Jane's Last Dance)

So I guess it's a 4/20 themed challenge then?

Like the Music Festival and "Super Bowl" ones before it
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    Note to self: Listen to the entire song on Spotify instead of just the first couple minutes, even if it's a 7-minute song.

At least "Champagne Supernova" has stems. If I cared about that stuff, anyway.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    LuigiHann said:

akuiken98 said:

akuiken98 said:

"That Smell" is not nearly as laid-back as the other two.

Right, and since that smell is a repeated disc song used for this challenge, they should replace it with Champagne Supernova. That song is perfect for laying back and playing. Especially the intro. Do you think they would listen to us if we push them to change it? Because I'm getting sick of repeating disc songs.

Because Champagne Supernova isn't a jam. It's just laid back.

Edit:
    I could see Caught Up In You being considered a laid back jam and being used instead. But to say That Smell isn't a laid back jam is insane.
    I consider it a jam. See, this is confusing. What's considered a Jam? A song that makes you bang your head? A catchy song?
    I think they're going for "jam" in the collaborative improvisation sense
    That's the way I interpreted it.

I'm interested in what they're going to pick. The obvious ones are stuff like Phish, Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, etc, but bands like Pearl Jam are known for tremendously long jam performances when they play live.

Then again, I'm probably overthinking it, and it's probably just a tongue in cheek way for them to do a 4/20 Challenge without explicitly doing a 4/20 Challenge.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    French Chef Florian Bellanger (from Cupcake Wars, and owner of Mad Mac Macarons) turns 49 today. So THAT'S why everyone keeps mentioning "having the munchies"! I get it now.
  • Hey bruther. It won't let me purchase either song from this week pal

• You have to wait for the content to come out, Hogan. PlayStation updates early afternoon.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited April 20
    They are live now Hogan
    Edit: on the store.playstation.com website at least. Just search them
  • Myaaraap said:

That looks like a table of some sort beneath Hogan's TV. I'm very, very, very surprised that his house has any furniture left in it at all.

Why, because they sold it all off to pay for his funeral costs?
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    edited April 20
    "Everybody must get stoned" - Bob Dylan, singer and mathematician
  • edited April 20
    So I just checked on RBDB and... I only have 6 songs that fit in this week's challenge. 3 of those are disc songs (from RB4 and RB3).

Guess it's time to invest on some more Green Day. Definetly gonna buy Holiday, 21 Guns and American Idiot this week... Still only going to have 9 songs lol (and those 3 Green Day tracks are the only ones from my wishlist that are part of the challenge as well).

When I get back home to my PS4 I'll be able to see for sure if I really only have 6 songs for the challenge (as RBDB sometimes misses a couple of songs in their challenge listings).
  • edited April 20
    HMXOwl said:

Thanks guys for making things special with your challenges. You should get stoned and think of your next challenge.

I'm straightedge, but thanks for the offer!
    If we don't get Punk next month we riot.
    Edit: xXxOWLxXx
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star

You should get stoned and think of your next challenge.

Confirmed! Next challenge is going to be Cheez-it!! Any song that has you wanting to snack while running from the po po. And I don't mean this guy...

There is no running from that Popo. You stand where you are and accept the inevitable.
  • twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned
    edited April 20
    calloy said:

"Everybody must get stoned" - Bob Dylan, singer and mathematician

Bob Dylan didn't have to listen to 200 students make the same damn joke.

Lewis Carroll was a mathematician as well, and probably was stoned out of his mind when he created Alice in Wonderland. I'm not saying anything against the drug, I'm just questioning the celebration and the attention given to 4/20.

I do think a celebration of munchies should definitely be next week though. Why change your train of thought?

Also, I haven't heard the term straightedge for 20 years. Retro week anyone?

• JadiouJadiou Unsigned
    If this challenge has only the songs listed on RBDB I'll have 57 songs this week and 52 of them are Green Day... This might be the worst challenge for me.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Straight Edge is still a thing in DC, mostly as a musical genre influence, less so as a lifestyle choice.
  • twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned

Also, I haven't heard the term straightedge for 20 years. Retro week anyone?

You must not teach geometry.
    We don't even call them straightedges in geometry, not with geometer's sketchpad and our current technology. You have to get with the times.

• Also, I haven't heard the term straightedge for 20 years. Retro week anyone?

You must not teach geometry.
    We don't even call them straightedges in geometry, not with geometer's sketchpad and our current technology. You have to get with the times.

I dunno, you're the one being a prude. ; )
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

So hmx is a bunch of stoners. No Christmas, no Easter, no Passover, no other holidays of any sort except New years, but they celebrate my most hated day of the year 4/20

yep, because religious-themed challenges go over so well...