The Official Rock Band Rivals Season One Community Survey

HMXmattitudeHMXmattitude Harmonix Developer
edited August 15 in Rock Band
Hey again gang!

Matt here, User Researcher at Harmonix.

It's that time again! We've whipped up yet another player survey, this one primarily focused on Season 1 for Rock Band Rivals.

Season 2 starts on August 24th, so we want to hear your thoughts and feedback and use it to make the next Season even better!

If you can spare a couple minutes, please complete this survey, and answer all questions openly and honestly.

ROCK BAND RIVALS SEASON 1 COMMUNITY SURVEY: bit.ly/rbseason1

Please feel free to spread the word and share the link with anybody else who you think would be interested! Thanks a ton! Your feedback is incredibly valuable to us.

- Matt

P.S. Even if you aren't in a Crew or didn't participate in Season 1 for whatever reason, we still want your feedback!

P.P.S. If you’re around the Boston area, please feel free to sign up for playtesting at harmonixmusic.com/playtest (and share this link too)!

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 9
    Your playtest link is was broken. It just links linked back to this article.
  • Someday we'll figure out why short links like to give up...
  • edited August 9
    Everyone please tell them we want Blitz back!!
    Doubt it will happen but doesn't hurt to complain about wanting it. :p
  • Everyone please tell them we want Stage kit support back!!
    Doubt it will happen but doesn't hurt to complain about wanting it. :p

• My survey answer to what I would like to see in missions was something to the effect of "more challenging and/or specific missions," and I didn't feel like I had enough room in the survey to really expand on that, so for what it's worth, I'm going to expand on that here.

When I say more challenging, I mainly want to see more overlap between the missions and the personal goals I set for myself. Right now I'm working my way towards 900 guitar FCs. When I gold starred every song from the original disc setlist, it was an achievement I was proud of with or without acknowledgement, but it would have been cool if I had gotten something from the game to say "hey man nice job." Maybe look at what people are proud of in the Rock Band accomplishments thread and base missions off of those.

When I say more specific, I mean stuff like the "get 90% upstrums playing bass on 5 Soul/Funk songs" or "666 note streak." Those missions are fun and interesting to me and there aren't enough of them. I wish there were more specific missions for Rivals mode too, because sometimes I need that little extra motivation. I'm thinking things like "beat a crewmate's score on a Spotlight song" or "improve your own score five times in a single challenge" or "earn 70k Crew XP in a single challenge."
  • I would love to see trophies/achievements for some of the new features..
    Would be cool to have like "obtain 50 bronze mission medals" etc. and on PSN you could correlate bronze, silver, and gold trophies with those.

I didn't add this to the survey but I just thought of it after I sent it.

Right now though I don't try for missions as I rarely play online anymore (my group kind of vanishes then we get together like once a month now).
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

I'm still carrying the 'character customization' flag.

The main thing that I would definitely want would be to at least have custom art for t-shirts again. Added a touch of creativity to the game for sure.

Anything else like additional body sizes and heights, different tops and bottoms, hats, etc. would all be extra for me.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    Filled it out... as always my most wanted feature is separate stand-ins for male and female singers
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    For me, body types are #1 (and actual custom shirts/tattoos are a pipe dream!) .

• wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    filled it out as well, my most wanted feature is bass boost.
  • I put Blitz mode of course, the biggest thing missing from current gen so far outside of entitlements for old DLC.
  • I asked for a server browser for online, as I guessed it's easier than matchmaking.
  • but it would have been cool if I had gotten something from the game to say "hey man nice job."

here you go
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Filled it out and forgot one thing, gimme my season 0 shirt. I ended up tossing in about 8 things at the final open question cuz I had a lot of things on my mind ;)
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I asked for multiple players per console in online multiplayer, "Band Leader Mode", and "filter on saved setlist". Nothing glamorous or over-the-top, just good old-fashioned usability upgrades.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited August 10
    "What is the primary thing preventing your crew from having more members?"

"All my friends are on other crews and I'm too proud of how long I've been in my current crew to join them" isn't an option.

EDIT: Ended up choosing "Don't want to play with strangers," which is more of an incidental thing, I guess.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Also, now that I know what the format for missions is, I still want to propose the following mission:

Mission with a Song
    Earn five stars on "Song with a Mission."
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I never realized how irrelevant missions were to me until the survey asked me to quantify it. Blitz Mode would be cool, but am not holding my breath at all. Improved Character Customization is #1 priority for me though.
  • I put more character customization as what I wanted for more features, but as for a new mode:

Make your own Missions a la Rock Band World goals from the Blitz days. That would be pretty fun.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Blitz mode or bust.
  • Answered everything honestly and openly and ended up asking for matchmaking (though I wish I had thought of server/green room browser as it would be much easier to implement imo and would still be cool), multiple local instruments online, Blitz mode and more specific Missions like the few we had in RB3 for specific songs or setlists. Wouldn't it be cool if we had a Badge for the Blitz setlist? Or one for the RB3 setlist? Not to mention specific song ones like we already got with Cirice and She.
  • uppyb0t said:

A lot of people feel they've wasted their efforts to get to bloodstone, only to receive nothing.

If only 1 crew gets a prize, there is little motivation to be had, especially if some crews have ridiculous amounts of time to compete.

Wait, was anything even announced about the prizes? I figured they would hand it on based on current tier and week that you reached your final tier.
  • @Chizenhowtzer The prizes were announced on reddit during the last challenge. Badges for tier and overall position.
  • Well, that's pretty weak but having looked over reddit discussions it sounded like rewards beyond badges were in fact planned but the timing didn't work. The hardships of a small company, it seems.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    uppyb0t said:

A lot of people feel they've wasted their efforts to get to bloodstone, only to receive nothing.

If only 1 crew gets a prize, there is little motivation to be had, especially if some crews have ridiculous amounts of time to compete.

I included a reward/trophy/prize for BS crews based on week they promoted although I don't know how you keep early BS'ers engaged once they get their. Overall 1st seems a nice idea but what about the other crews that promote to BS in week 5?
  • My top three most wanted:

1. Better matchmaking for online play (tired of playing alone and never being able to find other players because I play at odd hours)
    2. Better avatar customization options.
    3. More missions, especially missions for specific genres and artists.