What Are You Doing Right Now? Part SEVENTEEN - Court of Owls

Comments

• bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    Wired keyboard. Wired mouse. Wired Xbox360 controller. It's the only way.
  • I finally heard back from the place I had interviews with... and they did not want me

I think I am gonna have to sell my PS4 so I can pay my bills this month, I really don't want to but I only use it to play Amplitude or watch blu-rays in my bedroom.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Welcome back to the 50s everyone, hope you saved your flimsy wooden desk from grade school to prepare you for the nuclear fallout.

Today's lesson is one that every other president understood, except Senior Fragile Ego. North Korea has always played a game of bluffing to get their way. They know they don't have the strongest military force or any real resources to prepare them for any war. They talk big and every other president has known just to ignore them because they will never ever preemptively attack because they know their dictatorship will not survive if anyone calls their bluff.

However they hope someone will attack them so they are not seen as the aggressors basically so other countries will come to their aid hopefully China or Russia. So threatening to attack them first is playing right into their bluff. The fragile ego of one man is potentially going to cause some irreversible damage.

Just ignoring them but being defensive has worked, not ideally, but enough so we didn't feel like we were constantly on the brink of a nuclear dick measuring contest. You can't make America great again if major resources and population centers are irradiated.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business

I finally heard back from the place I had interviews with... and they did not want me

I think I am gonna have to sell my PS4 so I can pay my bills this month, I really don't want to but I only use it to play Amplitude or watch blu-rays in my bedroom.

oh, man - I'm sorry! That is terrible.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    Witticus said:

Welcome back to the 50s everyone, hope you saved your flimsy wooden desk from grade school to prepare you for the nuclear fallout.

Today's lesson is one that every other president understood, except Senior Fragile Ego. North Korea has always played a game of bluffing to get their way. They know they don't have the strongest military force or any real resources to prepare them for any war. They talk big and every other president has known just to ignore them because they will never ever preemptively attack because they know their dictatorship will not survive if anyone calls their bluff.

However they hope someone will attack them so they are not seen as the aggressors basically so other countries will come to their aid hopefully China or Russia. So threatening to attack them first is playing right into their bluff. The fragile ego of one man is potentially going to cause some irreversible damage.

Just ignoring them but being defensive has worked, not ideally, but enough so we didn't feel like we were constantly on the brink of a nuclear dick measuring contest. You can't make America great again if major resources and population centers are irradiated.

• razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I was narrowing down my music collection (trying to upload 15GB of files into the 5GB max of Onedrive was not a clever idea), and I didn't realize how much of it was utterly pointless. There was so much I could easily disregard, so I cut from 7000+ to 2000+ just by removing all the barely listened to albums, and artists, even if it left many artists with one album (Rise Against had 5 left, Ingrid Michaelson had all of her albums left, as did Kathleen Edwards), heh.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    that's a phenomenal amount of digitally archived music!

very impressive! but also, my word - what a chore it must be to manage!
  • For Forza?
    Wildcat15 said:

For Forza?

Heh, you know it. I meant to tag you as thanks, but I forgot. I do that sometimes.
    edited August 11

that's a phenomenal amount of digitally archived music!

very impressive! but also, my word - what a chore it must be to manage!

Well, my phone has my entire collection on (bar maybe 10-15 albums), and that is 19.79GB, with 8182 songs. It's not too bad for managing, considering it's only like 170 artists or something!

(Apologies for the double post, I don't know how to respond to two separate quotations at once).
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited August 12
    My ipod has stopped being recognized by iTunes, it won't link via cord OR WiFi. I think some new anti-virus software did it. I rarely listen to music any more, just podcasts. Weird! I think I need to go on a long road trip. I would like to get my iPod working again.

iTunes tells me I have 7,182 items, 19.3 days worth of music, 50.37 GB. Could some of it be culled? Probably! But why would I want to? Yes I'm a hoarder. Sue me.

I still have dozens (100? more?) of CDs that I never burned to iTunes. But I will! Someday! Yes of course I still have the CDs.
    edited August 12
    Antarctica fruitcake: 106-year-old dessert 'left by Capt Scott'

Yes I would have eaten it. I mean, come on! It's a piece of history, sitting right there! Why open it up and smell it and conclude it's still edible and not actual take a nibble?
  • Looking at my music, I have almost 16,500 songs (109 GB on my HDD)

I now get most of my music through a service at the library called Freegal, which allows me to download 5 songs for free a week using my library card. I also use my brother's and mom's since they don't care, so I am getting 15 songs a week.

so in the past few weeks I have gotten 3 Hall & Oates albums, a Bent Knee album, a Hammerfall album, and I just started getting an Alice Cooper one, but I will have to wait until next week to get the rest of the songs
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited August 12
    I don't live in the same country I remember as a kid.

Now the right would root for the bad guys in Rocky 4 (Russians) and Lethal Weapon 2.(Racist)
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    edited August 12
    8th birthday one day from my birthday birthday, just like @Dangimarocker
  • Happy Birthday Calloy!
    Happy birthday, Calloy! I drank all the booze!
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    edited August 13
    does everyone's birthday come near their birthday birthday? pretty sure i joined when i heard about the Beatles
    Happy b-day Calloy!

No, I joined once I got Rock Band 3, 3 months after I got a 360. I got RB2 in April 2013, 1 month after I got a 360 for around $15 (including a RB1 strat), and joined the forums once I found out they existed.
  • razor63 said:

Happy b-day Calloy!

No, I joined once I got Rock Band 3, 3 months after I got a 360. I got RB2 in April 2013, 1 month after I got a 360 for around $15 (including a RB1 strat), and joined the forums once I found out they existed.

And we are glad to have you here! B) :) <3

razor63 said:

Happy b-day Calloy!

And we are glad to have you here! B) :) <3 </p>
    It's good having everyone here, ^_^. It's one of the benefits of there only being a small number of active users: you get to know everyone far better than you would if there were thousands of active users instead. There's a good community here.
    I've got friends from all over the political spectrum and sometimes it's frustrating. Other times: infuriating. Occasionally: enlightening. It's allowed me to see when my views aren't just "infuriating to the other side" but maybe actually counter-productive / hypocritical / well-intentioned but not remotely feasible or productive. Would I admit that to them? No way, they would just get even more smug! But it IS productive, for me. And (shocker) oftentimes we can just enjoy each other's company and their totally-wrong views on taxes and regulation don't come in to play.

But even the folks that are way to the right of me aren't openly white supremacists*. No nazi supporters. A low bar? I would have thought so, most of my life, but welcome to 2017.

*OK, my best friend from 9th grade seems to be, but I haven't seen him in person since the 80s, I just get to read his outrageous views on Twitter. AND EVEN THEN he'll occasionally point out something that's not openly hateful but actually insightful.
    I'd be lying if I said I had friends from across the political spectrum; I'm a socially liberal (like, very liberal) economic moderate, and pretty much all my friends are either left-wing, or centrists. I don't think I've ever met a really right-wing person (nor do I really want to, but that is another matter), but it would be interesting to talk policies with them.
    One difference is that while there are left wing extremists, I've never met one or at least one that expressed it. However the right wing is far more likely to do that and unfortunately several friends I had that I thought were just right were secretly extreme right.

An example would be a childhood friend who I caught mocking muslims in a forum after a crane had broke over a mosque killing a dozen people. At that point it's not politics or opinions. It's just vile poison. I haven't talked to that guy since. And that mentality is out there.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    razor63 said:

I don't think I've ever met a really right-wing person ...but it would be interesting to talk policies with them.

It's actually not very interesting to do that at all. I know people like that, mostly from work. It's pretty disheartening to know actual people in America in 2017 who hold those kinds of view.
    It's not even that. It's that even when you show them facts or explain things different ways, they still refuse to change.

They create their own reality, then submerge themselves only in media that reinforces this reality, then refuse to acknowledge anything else.

In fact, often, it stops being about politics, religion, science, whatever and it's just about them being right.