The second year of RB4 - Discussion thread

grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
edited September 6 in Rock Band
Today is September 6th, a month away from the 2nd anniversary of RB4 so I figured it may be a good time for a thread looking back over this second year of RB4. Lots have happened since October 6th 2016 from DLC to the Rivals expansion to the continued effort of sorting out legacy entitlements and more.

So how have you found this second year and what are your hopes for the future?

Comments

• All i've noticed is my playtime drop from about 40+ hours a week to I'm lucky to get 5 a week.

Features I still would like to see:
    - Local/Online working together
    - Online matchmaking
    - Album Headers (i still will never understand why this was removed.. )

A couple bugs that need fixed:
    - Display badge not displaying once you close the game
    - The rivals shirts not loading on every loadup

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    The Rivals expansion was cool...for like a month. I played through Rockudrama pretty quickly, played it again to get the better ending, got sick of Rivals mode pretty quickly. Having Seasons and Rewards gives a bit more appeal these days. Raising the level cap on XP was pretty pointless IMO. You don't unlock anything as you progress higher, so it's just a meaningless number ranking how many hours I've sank into the game.

As for 2018, I'd love to see DLC packs come back, but I'm not holding my breath for that. I'd love to see a Rock Band 5-esque expansion (i.e. a downloadable expansion that would be akin to a full fledged sequel game) but that seems even less likely.
  • We are never getting back the glory years of Rockband so all I can wish for is they keep the lights on and we get Blitz mode.
  • Coming up on year 2, there are some things I like, but it's still not ideal. The best is definitely Rivals mode. I've met and played with a lot of fun people on a great crew and it's brought out a competitive side of me I never even knew existed! With an extremely limited library of games I can play, I finally feel gaming is once again fun and a hobby for me. But there's still things I feel could be better; like visuals, more than one instrument per console online, and more dlc per week. It's good, but to me, still doesn't match or surpass my experiences in RB2/3, but I would like to see it continue and improve as the third anniversary and beyond approaches.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    ekffazr said:

one console, one instrument online play was a big miss...
    that is all I have to say

Huge.

It makes an already limited system (no matchmaking) 100% useless to me and the wife.

And then they will say "Our surveys show only 1% of the people are using online play, so we are not putting resources into it."
  • I liked rivals, but the bugs and issues that continue to plague rb4 make things difficult to enjoy properly, everything from the checking setlist bugs no still no online matchmaking system to xp glitches and the decline of support for rb4.

Probably the most frustrating is the lack of communication from the company itself. Year 2 and the inclusion of rivals especially brought this out to me.

I did enjoy the rockudrama. I wish there was a way to turn on the "one fan cheering" sound for my setlists. It would be on all the time.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited September 12
    bandaddy said:

ekffazr said:

Huge.

It makes an already limited system (no matchmaking) 100% useless to me and the wife.

And then they will say "Our surveys show only 1% of the people are using online play, so we are not putting resources into it."
    They can monitor how many players actually use online multiplayer without doing a survey.
  • bandaddy said:

ekffazr said:

Huge.

same.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    As we close in on the end of Year 2, I think RB4 is doing pretty well. It's still fun, I still play, I still host host Rock Band parties every few months, and I keep buying DLC. So far so good.

What I would like to see next is a focus on refining features and improving group gameplay dynamics. We have an excellent base game going, and there are several tweaks just begging to be made that could really help turn the corner. I'd like to see a focus on that for the next year instead of searching for new features to implement,

And Blitz Mode is the last thing I want to see at this point.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited September 19
    tdc002 said:

bandaddy said:

ekffazr said:

Huge.

They can monitor how many players actually use online multiplayer without doing a survey.
    So by monitoring, they would be surveying the use of online play. Semantics.

Also, relying on game data "monitoring", this will not show how many people go to play online, say "oh, no matchmaking" or "oh, we can't both be playing on one xbox" and then say "F@#$ this!" To them it just looks like more people not using the feature.
  • edited September 15
    So, fpr me the 2nd year has been better thant he first. |The game has been updated enough now that it doesnt feel broken or lacking in any way i actually care about (I dont play online, always locally with friends). I think the biggest complement I can give it is that I'm still playing and still enjoying some of the new DLC. Rivals mode keeps me engaged with the game and introduces me to stuff i'd not heard of before. Been very please really.

I am partucally happy about the listing, sorting, rating changes that got added and that Harmonix do seem to fix the leaderboards when borked. The game isn't clunky any more. What do I want to see? Dunno, STATS! put a graph in there or something, chart improvements, and overhaul the leaderboards it's labourious to see what the top looks like when I'm no where near it!
  • dlchief58dlchief58 Opening Act
    tdc002 said:

bandaddy said:

ekffazr said:

Huge.

While they can see some stats, they lack the necessary skills to properly interpret them into real world application - see customization options in game.