The second year of RB4 - Discussion thread

grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
edited September 6 in Rock Band
Today is September 6th, a month away from the 2nd anniversary of RB4 so I figured it may be a good time for a thread looking back over this second year of RB4. Lots have happened since October 6th 2016 from DLC to the Rivals expansion to the continued effort of sorting out legacy entitlements and more.

So how have you found this second year and what are your hopes for the future?

Comments

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    The Rivals expansion was cool...for like a month. I played through Rockudrama pretty quickly, played it again to get the better ending, got sick of Rivals mode pretty quickly. Having Seasons and Rewards gives a bit more appeal these days. Raising the level cap on XP was pretty pointless IMO. You don't unlock anything as you progress higher, so it's just a meaningless number ranking how many hours I've sank into the game.

As for 2018, I'd love to see DLC packs come back, but I'm not holding my breath for that. I'd love to see a Rock Band 5-esque expansion (i.e. a downloadable expansion that would be akin to a full fledged sequel game) but that seems even less likely.
  • We are never getting back the glory years of Rockband so all I can wish for is they keep the lights on and we get Blitz mode.
  • Coming up on year 2, there are some things I like, but it's still not ideal. The best is definitely Rivals mode. I've met and played with a lot of fun people on a great crew and it's brought out a competitive side of me I never even knew existed! With an extremely limited library of games I can play, I finally feel gaming is once again fun and a hobby for me. But there's still things I feel could be better; like visuals, more than one instrument per console online, and more dlc per week. It's good, but to me, still doesn't match or surpass my experiences in RB2/3, but I would like to see it continue and improve as the third anniversary and beyond approaches.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    ekffazr said:

one console, one instrument online play was a big miss...
    that is all I have to say

Huge.

It makes an already limited system (no matchmaking) 100% useless to me and the wife.

And then they will say "Our surveys show only 1% of the people are using online play, so we are not putting resources into it."
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited September 12
    bandaddy said:

ekffazr said:

Huge.

It makes an already limited system (no matchmaking) 100% useless to me and the wife.

And then they will say "Our surveys show only 1% of the people are using online play, so we are not putting resources into it."
    They can monitor how many players actually use online multiplayer without doing a survey.
  • bandaddy said:

ekffazr said:

Huge.

same.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    As we close in on the end of Year 2, I think RB4 is doing pretty well. It's still fun, I still play, I still host host Rock Band parties every few months, and I keep buying DLC. So far so good.

What I would like to see next is a focus on refining features and improving group gameplay dynamics. We have an excellent base game going, and there are several tweaks just begging to be made that could really help turn the corner. I'd like to see a focus on that for the next year instead of searching for new features to implement,

And Blitz Mode is the last thing I want to see at this point.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited September 19
    tdc002 said:

bandaddy said:

ekffazr said:

Huge.

They can monitor how many players actually use online multiplayer without doing a survey.
    So by monitoring, they would be surveying the use of online play. Semantics.

Also, relying on game data "monitoring", this will not show how many people go to play online, say "oh, no matchmaking" or "oh, we can't both be playing on one xbox" and then say "F@#$ this!" To them it just looks like more people not using the feature.
  • edited September 15
    So, fpr me the 2nd year has been better thant he first. |The game has been updated enough now that it doesnt feel broken or lacking in any way i actually care about (I dont play online, always locally with friends). I think the biggest complement I can give it is that I'm still playing and still enjoying some of the new DLC. Rivals mode keeps me engaged with the game and introduces me to stuff i'd not heard of before. Been very please really.

I am partucally happy about the listing, sorting, rating changes that got added and that Harmonix do seem to fix the leaderboards when borked. The game isn't clunky any more. What do I want to see? Dunno, STATS! put a graph in there or something, chart improvements, and overhaul the leaderboards it's labourious to see what the top looks like when I'm no where near it!
  • dlchief58dlchief58 Opening Act
    tdc002 said:

bandaddy said:

ekffazr said:

Huge.

While they can see some stats, they lack the necessary skills to properly interpret them into real world application - see customization options in game.

• V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    I think this second year overall has been better than the first, especially in terms of DLC, we have seen a lot less "current chart hits", and more variation, songs which were needed in the library for years have finally become available.

I'm happy that the majority of the songs featured on Rock Band VR have made it into the main title as DLC. Here's hoping Harmonix have similar intentions for songs on Dropmix and getting original versions of some songs featured on Singspace.

The negatives are that I feel that some features and bugs which have been in this game for a long while still aren't being fixed. Like the game seemingly is happy with a calibrated setting for a few songs then it falls out of sync again.
  • 2 years later couch multiplayer stutter still hasn't been fixed, along with a bunch of other bug's, and heaps of songs missing from the EU store. We used to play RB3 every second week or so, now it has become every couple of months. A terrible shame, but I'm pretty much done with it.
  • aimsmallmismallaimsmallmismall Unsigned
    edited September 24
    V8VANTAGE said:

I think this second year overall has been better than the first, especially in terms of DLC, we have seen a lot less "current chart hits", and more variation, songs which were needed in the library for years have finally become available.

I'm happy that the majority of the songs featured on Rock Band VR have made it into the main title as DLC. Here's hoping Harmonix have similar intentions for songs on Dropmix and getting original versions of some songs featured on Singspace.

The negatives are that I feel that some features and bugs which have been in this game for a long while still aren't being fixed. Like the game seemingly is happy with a calibrated setting for a few songs then it falls out of sync again.

There are currently only a few songs from Dropmix that I'd want in RB (Bust a Move, Save a Horse), but there are quite a few Singspace songs I'd want.. A few already have (Superfreak, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun).. Here's hoping these tunes make their way over:

Baby One More Time - (has a little bit of funky guitar they could mix the volume up)
    Bye Bye Bye
    I Don't Wanna Be
    Material Girl
    PYT
    Rappers Delight
    18 And Life (not likely for well-documented reasons)
    Everybody (Backstreets Back)
    Hey There Delilah
    I Hate Everything About You
    I Want It That Way
    I'll Be
    I'm Like A Bird
    Keep Your Hands To Yourself
    Lonely No More
    One Headlight
    Semi-Charmed Life
    You Can't Hurry Love

Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather have some good rock songs than the Backstreet Boys, but if we're gonna get pop - I want the pop from my era..

2 years later couch multiplayer stutter still hasn't been fixed, along with a bunch of other bug's, and heaps of songs missing from the EU store. We used to play RB3 every second week or so, now it has become every couple of months. A terrible shame, but I'm pretty much done with it.

I play multiplayer up to four people pretty frequently without any stuttering problems.
  • I'm quite satisfied with what the game has become. It's now in a state where I wouldn't really go back to RB3 anymore (except, you know, for keys). Then again I never really played Rock Band online.

Some good ideas (the spotlight pass, with overall great content), some less good (too bad we don't have a clear roadmap for the future of RB4, and the updates are now mostly for fixes). To be honest, I expected a new expansion to be announced this September; if nothing comes, I fear that RB4 era may come to an end soon.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 26
    I gave up hopes for a new expansion this year when July ended with no announcements as the first major Rivals info came mid-July 2016 but I do still hope for a significant Rivals update and a DLC quantity increase around October/November.
  • 2 years later couch multiplayer stutter still hasn't been fixed, along with a bunch of other bug's, and heaps of songs missing from the EU store. We used to play RB3 every second week or so, now it has become every couple of months. A terrible shame, but I'm pretty much done with it.

I play multiplayer up to four people pretty frequently without any stuttering problems.
    I was playing local 4-player a couple weeks ago and we had a blast for about 4 hours.. Then the game froze up, so we took that as our cue to quit.. But it was about time to end the night anyway.. Would've been frustrating if it was only an hour in or so.. But that's the only "stutter" I've encountered.

2 years later couch multiplayer stutter still hasn't been fixed, along with a bunch of other bug's, and heaps of songs missing from the EU store. We used to play RB3 every second week or so, now it has become every couple of months. A terrible shame, but I'm pretty much done with it.

I was playing local 4-player a couple weeks ago and we had a blast for about 4 hours.. Then the game froze up, so we took that as our cue to quit.. But it was about time to end the night anyway.. Would've been frustrating if it was only an hour in or so.. But that's the only "stutter" I've encountered.
    The song previews quit playing a few hours, which really put a damper on the already painful song selection process, so it wasn't perfect.

But HMX Support closed that ticket within minutes claiming it was a known problem that was already in work. A win for the IT metrics, but not so much for me the user.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited September 26
    - A way to select venues in "Quickplay Mode" or "Play A Show".

- In Rivals Mode, a way to know which songs you've played so far.. like the song title changes color in song selection, or a number indicating how many times the song has been played.

- For solo hardcore players, a mode where the game scores you depending on how accurate your timing is on each note. The more accurate you are, the more points you get. Tired of seeing leaderboards where the top players have the same scores. Some players love rivalries against friends/strangers on particular songs.

- Bass players need a unique gameplay mechanic to feel different from guitar, Give bass players the ability to activate AND deactivate overdrive whenever they want. Cannot activate again after a 3-5 second cooldown. Increase the overdrive bar from holding 4 overdrives to 6 overdrives. Need at least 2 overdrives to activate as usual.
  • itzJV said:

- Bass players need a unique gameplay mechanic to feel different from guitar, Give bass players the ability to activate AND deactivate overdrive whenever they want. Cannot activate again after a 3-5 second cooldown. Increase the overdrive bar from holding 4 overdrives to 6 overdrives. Need at least 2 overdrives to activate as usual.

I'd love it if bass had the open note like Guitar Hero did.