DLC Discussion Thread: Suspect Singles

edited September 19 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 9/14: Avenged Sevenfold and The Who!

If you’re looking for a challenge, we’ve got you covered this week, with two songs that aren’t easy to play on anything.

Avenged Sevenfold has tons of frequent flier miles with Rock Band. From early DLC to this latest release (and plenty in between, like the Rock Band 4 disc soundtrack!), the band has plenty of huge songs that play well. “God Damn” is the latest single off of The Stage, becoming a Top 10 hit on the Mainstream Rock Songs chart earlier this year. Like “The Stage” before it, “God Damn” is a tough song from start to finish. Vocals feature some deceptive notes scattered throughout, which just may trip you up. Guitar AND bass have constant 16th triplets, though guitar gets a break to do a small solo. The solo isn’t as tough as other Avenged Sevenfold songs, so you should use it as a quick breather. The drums have a beast of a chart, seeing triplet kicks and changing disco beats.

The Who are the epitome of a perfect Rock Band band, which is why “Won’t Get Fooled Again” was the finale of the original Rock Band’s Endless Setlist. Famously using a programmed synthesizer as the spine of the song, it grew into the epic closer of Who’s Next, while also ending most live shows. Hailed as one of the greatest songs of all time, it refuses to be anything less than an icon of rock. Every part is a highlight in The Who songs, so you can pick up anything and have a great time. John Entwistle has some of the most fun basslines you will find in Rock Band, while Pete Townshend made a number of enduring guitar riffs over their career. The scream in “Won’t Get Fooled Again” is one of Roger Daltrey’s strongest, so you need to make sure you’re ready for it. Last, but nowhere near least, is what many consider to be Keith Moon’s best drum performance. The story goes that, while synchronized with the synth line, the entire drum part is a single-take freestyle from Keith.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 2 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Avenged Sevenfold - "God Damn" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 2 Spotlight Pass)
  • The Who - "Won't Get Fooled Again"

We’ll be showing off this week’s newest DLC on our Twitch stream today starting at 5PM ET. Tune in here!

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, September 14th.

Comments

• WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited September 12
    God Damn....this isn't A Little Piece of Heaven OR Blinded In Chains.

Meh...Brooks Wackerman on drums saves it a bit.

Also, STILL no The Real Me. Still.

With a theme of "Suspect Singles", you'd think Highly Suspect would be DLC. You know, Lydia or My Name Is Human?
  • Nope on both.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 12
    Nice! I didn't expect other songs from The Stage to come to RB, I'd have thought if more Avenged Sevenfold was coming it would be something earlier like Buried Alive or the rewind Almost Easy.

This week's challenge is definitely a drums one for sure, my predictions for spotlight are:
    Avenged Sevenfold - "God Damn"
    Van Halen - "Hot For Teacher"
    The Killers - "Somebody Told Me" (repeat)
  • There must be something that just wont let RB have stuff of Waking the Fallen (other than unholy confessions)
  • Gotta keep the people on the FB comments happy I guess. Oh wait, they're never happy.
  • Better than pop.
  • JadiouJadiou Unsigned
    More Avenged Sevenfold is always welcome. This Season Pass has been so worth it so far.
  • With a theme of "Suspect Singles", you'd think Highly Suspect would be DLC. You know, Lydia or My Name Is Human?

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread, and I would have been much more excited for that, but nah it's just another A7X song.

I guess this upcoming week is probably gonna be the drum challenge.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    Have the Who, not interested in A7X. Skip week for me.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited September 12

With a theme of "Suspect Singles", you'd think Highly Suspect would be DLC. You know, Lydia or My Name Is Human?

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread, and I would have been much more excited for that, but nah it's just another A7X song.

I guess this upcoming week is probably gonna be the drum challenge.
    1. I'd imagine one of those two tracks is gonna be DLC at some point.
    2. Spotlights of Metropolis Part 1, Won't Get Fooled Again and God Damn I think make sense for tough drum songs.

Seems like a lot of weeks there's good cases for both DLC songs to be spotlight.
  • Yes! Finally more of Sevenfolds newest album :D

Thanks Harmonix!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    D'oh, first spotlight pack dud (in my eyes).

• Really hope they don't censor the A7X song...
  • Wow, how unexpected... :|

Most of the Rock Band Community expected it would be Run from the Foo Fighters' upcoming album, Concrete and Gold, not a Avenged Sevenfold song that isn't Buried Alive or whatever song that is well liked by most A7X fans. Definitely a underwhelming choice for this week's Season 2 Spotlight Season Pass song. (Run would've been awesome for this week than the A7X song in my honest opinion).

But I digress. I'm just glad that we're getting a Rewind for this month. :)

Weekly Challenge: AN-I-MAL!!! (Drummers gets 25% XP for Drums)
    - Alive (The Temper Trap)
    - God Damn (Avenged Sevenfold)
    - Knock 'Em Down (Duck & Cover)
  • Yeah, definitely glad I didn't get the Spotlight Pass. I'm 2/4 on it already, and it alternates.
  • I wish it was A Little Piece of Heaven. I guess it's not meant to be :'(
  • Why does everyone seem to hate the new AX7 song. It's sounds awesome!!!

goddamned is questionable indeed... Let's hope they don't
  • Why does everyone seem to hate the new AX7 song. It's sounds awesome!!!

People have expectations for tracks from big artists and if that doesn't meet the criteria in their mind, then anything else is a disappointment. For reference, any time we get new Weezer, "left out" Billy Joel, or just basically any more mainstream pick for a semi popular- popular artist.
  • Are we not having an announcement for the songs for the rest of the month or did i miss that post
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Witticus said:

Why does everyone seem to hate the new AX7 song. It's sounds awesome!!!

People have expectations for tracks from big artists and if that doesn't meet the criteria in their mind, then anything else is a disappointment. For reference, any time we get new Weezer, "left out" Billy Joel, or just basically any more mainstream pick for a semi popular- popular artist.
    or we simply don't like the song/artist. Not about expectations in my case.
  • Seriously disappointed. So many new Who songs we could have gotten and we just get another A7X single instead.

It was a struggle to piece together the last few we got. Their masters are largely missing or damaged (from the era most people want songs from). And you know what people will say about live versions from recent years.

God damn is usually left up to the artist/label and Hmx. They've left it in and took it out.

Being it's in the songs name I think it stays. Would seem odd to censor it in this situation.
  • God Damn....this isn't A Little Piece of Heaven OR Blinded In Chains.

Meh...Brooks Wackerman on drums saves it a bit.

Also, STILL no The Real Me. Still.

I would love some Highly Suspect, or really anything from the newer rock acts from circa 2013-2017. You know, the new music that has been largely ignored.
  • There's a video in the announcement. ; )
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 12
    @bonethug0108 I think the RBVR setlist has delved into that quite a bit. Of course quite a few of those are ones not in RB4 yet but I'm sure they'll come eventually.