DLC Discussion Thread: 1982 Is Calling and the End of Season 2

Comments

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited October 4
    Already have Man in the Box but will GLADLY buy Them Bones and Down in a Hole individually if need be, but one may be in the Spotlight Pass pack too?

Sensational news. I shouldn't be this happy about video game news but this is awesome, thanks you!!!!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    KidSleez said:

Was wondering why everybody was talking about an AIC pack with such certainty and duh, flipped back to the first page to see the confirmation!

The news of this pack seriously needs its own post.

No disrespect to Asia which will be fun to play in its own right, but it's called burying the lead ;)

Can I pre-pay for Down in a Hole and Them Bones?? Just take my money!

• Wait what? An AiC pack? Holy ****! Hyped!

FINALLY THEM BONES!!!

Glad to see Down in a Hole, but I would have rathered I Stay Away. Also could use Angry Chair.

But those nitpicks aside, HELL YES THEM BONES!!!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Hey, the first pack in months! Kinda sucks it's only two new songs though. I'll definitely grab Them Bones. I might as well get Down in a Hole too, since I have all the other AIC classics. Kinda wish this was this week's DLC haha

As for this week, I'll probably grab Heat of the Moment. It depends if I get a chance to play and contribute to my crew.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I think I might be one of the few that prefers Down in a Hole to Them Bones but splitting hairs. Both 5-star songs in my book. Classic AIC!
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    I've requested both of those AiC songs in the past! I'm very excited to see them added to the RB library, and to see our first 3-pack in eight months (even if one is a rewind).
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited October 4
    djb5f1 said:

I think I might be one of the few that prefers Down in a Hole to Them Bones but splitting hairs. Both 5-star songs in my book. Classic AIC!

Yeah reading my post makes it sound like I'm down on Down in a Hole, but I'm not. I really like that one also.

But Them Bones and I Stay Away are both top 5 AiC songs for me (other 3 being the obvious Would?, Man in the Box, and Rooster), with Down in a Hole and Angry Chair both being in the top 10 (maybe both top 8?).
  • I'm just happy because both should have full stems.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    Alice in Chains...

• ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
    edited October 4
    djb5f1 said:

Nope! While I love Them Bones and am SUPER glad we're finally getting it... I am WAY more hyped for Down in A Hole! One of my all time favorites! Absolutely Love it!

Definitely need "I Stay Away" and "Angry Chair."

YES! We need these two in the next pack with What the Hell Have I and I can die a happy man! :smiley:

• V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited October 4
    Wow! This month is shaping up to be good :)

Not only will it be the 3rd week in a row we are getting a Guitar Hero song, but also another one off the list of GTA San Andreas songs!

And it's a 3 song week. Yes!!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior

I'm just happy because both should have full stems.

Oh, good, with songs that old I figure it's 50/50 at best these days. Why are you so sure of this? Neither are on Rock Band VR, right?
  • @Meat-Popsicle Them Bones was in GH Smash Hits and I don't think it was a re-record. Down in a Hole is less certain as we've had songs with and without fully separated stems be on the same album before.
  • Them. Bones.
    Oh hell yeah!
    Down in a Hole is solid too.
    Both will be insta-buys.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    RE: Alice in Chains, HELL YES! Getting one already but other is insta-buy.

RE: Asia, would have purchased on name recognition but it's not one I've requested before.

RE: S2 pass, 6 definite and 2 would have purchased at some point so very happy with it. Likely to buy S3 pass if there is one.
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    Heat Of The Moment! <3 :)
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Oh, good, with songs that old I figure it's 50/50 at best these days. Why are you so sure of this? Neither are on Rock Band VR, right?
    Because every other song off Dirt has had full stems? That's usually a pretty good indicator.

Also, "Man in the Box" was in RBVR (hence why it was also relicensed as a Rewind).
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I’m perplexed at the people who never heard Heat of the Moment or thought another one of Asia’s songs were more popular.

Looking back at spotify numbers (just like the early RB4 days)

Top 3
    Heat of the Moment 30.0 million listens
    Only Time Will Tell 3.9 million
    Heat of the Moment (live) 1.2 million

Now I wasn’t alive at the time of this song, no matter how many people think I’m a wandering spirit forced to travel the planet in search of obscure forums to repay a debt to the witch doctor Socumarnicus, I assure you I only perceive the music the through the media and entertainment I digest.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I was alive (and buying music!) at the time the song came out, and I wouldn't have been able to name another song by Asia, but I definitely recognize "Only Time Will Tell". As I remember it, it was a reasonably popular follow-up.

*does research*

Oh yeah, "Don't Cry" reached number 1 in 1983, that's a good song too!

I had a friend in HS named John (who bought about 100 45s a year back in the early 80s) went to JMU, and his first roommate was obsessed with Asia, it was his favorite band at the time and well into the 90s.

But today? Yeah, I totally believe it that "Heat of the Moment" is the, uh, sole survivor of Asia's discography, in people's memory.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    @Meat-Popsicle , you from Virginia?

• tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

I wanted my John Wetton. But not like this. Well, sure, like this. But ALSO like THAT.

so you're basically saying "i want it that way"

can't say i disagree
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 4
    tdc002 said:

Because every other song off Dirt has had full stems? That's usually a pretty good indicator.
    Usually but not always, right?

Isn't the reason we have live versions of "Come As You Are" and "Lithium" because the stems were unavailable despite the rest of Nevermind having been available?

With the fact we've gotten a healthy serving of AiC through the years but these songs have been conspicuously absent, makes me think they were 'unusable' before - and might only have become usable recently with HMX's relaxation of their threshold for 'usable'.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    and holy crap! more AiC!!!

my only regret is it's not an all-new pack. but i can't complain about 2 new AiC songs, especially when they're both from Dirt, their best album. would've loved Rain When I Die as the 3rd song... or just full album DLC and be done with it... but the 2 songs we're getting are both excellent choices.
    DLC has definitely gone down in number but at least lately the quality has been much better.
  • More Alice in Chains is always a big okay in my book, but Them Bones and Down in a Hell, HOOFA that's what I'm talkin' bout sing me the hell up.

I only wish the third pick was Angry Chair instead of Man in the Box, but I'm not gonna complain.
  • @thatmarkguy Maybe for Down in a Hole but Them Bones is probably something like GH exclusivity. We know GH exclusivity wasn't always artists but rather sometimes just individual songs thanks to the RBN community. For example Calling by Strung Out was GH exclusive but if RBN didn't die we would've gotten other Strung Out songs.
  • Witticus said:

I’m perplexed at the people who never heard Heat of the Moment or thought another one of Asia’s songs were more popular.

Looking back at spotify numbers (just like the early RB4 days)

Top 3
    Heat of the Moment 30.0 million listens
    Only Time Will Tell 3.9 million

I fall into the other category of knowing the song very well, but not being excited about it (aslo not a big Yes fan and don't even know if I've heard any King Crimson).

I do think I vaguely remember Only Time Will Tell, but Heat of the Moment is and always was clearly their biggest song (and I'm guessing only Top 40 hit?).
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited October 4

tdc002 said:

Usually but not always, right?

Isn't the reason we have live versions of "Come As You Are" and "Lithium" because the stems were unavailable despite the rest of Nevermind having been available?

With the fact we've gotten a healthy serving of AiC through the years but these songs have been conspicuously absent, makes me think they were 'unusable' before - and might only have become usable recently with HMX's relaxation of their threshold for 'usable'.
    CaYA and Lithium are a special case of Love "allegedly" destroying the masters for those two, which she totally did do.

After hearing about that I figured that was exactly why Hmx "went back" on their "promise" of Nevermind, but then we eventually got different versions.

Also Them Bones definitely has/had stems because a full band version that used stems was in GH:GH. Down in a Hole is probably a case of them just picking other songs at the time.
  • @thatmarkguy Maybe for Down in a Hole but Them Bones is probably something like GH exclusivity. We know GH exclusivity wasn't always artists but rather sometimes just individual songs thanks to the RBN community. For example Calling by Strung Out was GH exclusive but if RBN didn't die we would've gotten other Strung Out songs.

I can imagine they likely tried to do this with a few songs from GH:GH. They wouldn't want Hmx releasing a bunch of songs from it soon after and stealing their thunder.