Introducing the Rock Band Season 2 Spotlight Pass!

Comments

• I think at least 1 of the final 3 will be 00s as we have 70s, 80s, 90s and 10s so far.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

I think at least 1 of the final 3 will be 00s as we have 70s, 80s, 90s and 10s so far.

Stacy's Mom

/thread
    It does seem awfully high on the "Why the **** don't we have this yet?" list.

But if we're calling our shots on 00s spotlight, I'll choose my square as "Since U Been Gone".
  • I'll choose Chelsea Dagger, feels like another obvious missing song. A case of last gen packs digging deep for the 3rd song which I'm grateful for.

The obvious Fratellis 3 pack back then would've been:
    - Henrietta
    - Flathead
    - Chelsea Dagger
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I have a feeling we are getting more 90's Alternative to go with Garbage.

Cracker would be a great choice. Low would be the obvious candidate but would gladly accept Get Off This, Eurotrash Girl, I Hate My Generation, Nothing to Believe In, Sweet Thiste Pie.

Maybe Sevenmarythree's Cumbersome.

For 00s, more Black Keys possibly!
  • For Kelly Clarkson, if this were 2010, we might've had I Do Not Hook Up in a three-pack (it's actually not bad!)
  • djb5f1 said:

I have a feeling we are getting more 90's Alternative to go with Garbage.

Cracker would be a great choice. Low would be the obvious candidate but would gladly accept Get Off This, Eurotrash Girl, I Hate My Generation, Nothing to Believe In, Sweet Thiste Pie.

Maybe Sevenmarythree's Cumbersome.

For 00s, more Black Keys possibly!

Low needs to happen.

I would gladly take Cumbersome of course.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    So I guess talk is that "Burnin' For You" is probably the next spotlight song based on the picture posted by Harmonix. We know the week after will feature modern pop, so I'm gonna say something like "Elastic Heart" by Sia would be a good addition to the others.

It's really a great bunch of varied songs, it kinda reminds me of the old days when a Guitar Hero (or I guess Rock Band too) would be announced but for the first several months we'd only know like 6 songs of the list. Overall I've been a fan of the spotlight pass and would buy another if it was offered.
    edited September 22
    I think you’ve git those backwards. Pretty sure it was stated that the modern pop was the last dlc of September (which is next week), while the clue that led to Burnin For You was just presented as a future dlc of unspecified timeframe.

The three-vocalist version of Elastic Heart (from the Hunger Games Catching Fire soundtrack) would be pretty neat. And we know they like The Weeknd.
  • I think you’ve git those backwards. Pretty sure it was stated that the modern pop was the last dlc of September (which is next week), while the clue that led to Burnin For You was just presented as a future dlc of unspecified timeframe.

The three-vocalist version of Elastic Heart (from the Hunger Games Catching Fire soundtrack) would be pretty neat. And we know they like The Weeknd.

I Feel It Coming

More 2010s pop, but that song wouldn't be terrible either
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 22
    @thatmarkguy It was said that some of next week is modern pop. There's nothing stopping say for example a modified version of season 0's animal challenge with next week's DLC being Burnin' For You and Birds (a lot has changed in the last 11 months).
  • @thatmarkguy It was said that some of next week is modern pop. There's nothing stopping say for example a modified version of season 0's animal challenge with next week's DLC being Burnin' For You and Birds (a lot has changed in the last 11 months).

Or a modified version of Season 0's color challenge with Maps in place of Birds. (Maroon is a shade of red, which is a commonly a opposite color of blue).
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 22
    @FritzyKatz That's another possibility. all you'd have to do is count both song names and artist names rather than just artist names then you've got a very different challenge to the original one in November.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    GLaDOS said:

So I guess talk is that "Burnin' For You" is probably the next spotlight song based on the picture posted by Harmonix.

... while the clue that led to Burnin For You was just presented as a future dlc of unspecified timeframe.

Wait... what??? We're getting MOAR B.Ö.C. in the near future???
    Apparently. They tweeted an image of an upcoming dlc song and challenged people to identify it. People who compared it to the GH Burnin For You chart found it unmistakably similar.
  • It's amazing that we can recognize songs by their charts. For example, Through the Fire and Flames and One have such distinctive charts.
  • While I have nothing against the Avenged Sevenfold song, but if I could, I would replace that with Buried Alive, to make it even more better.

Still, I am agreement with @GLaDOS that should Harmonix do a Season 3 Spotlight Pass, then I'm all in for it.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited October 4
    djb5f1 said:

Agree, I think the only true dud is that A7X song.

A7X satisfied the New Song, Metal, and Super Popular Band in Rock Band criteria. So not surprised it's in there.

We also got

A rare 70s song (by an artist we didn't have anything by, and a pretty big artist at that (regardless of how you feel about him whatever way))

3 80s songs, including 2 rock classics (of different flavored rock) and Rick James

3 90s songs, including the long awaited return of two bands (one alt metal grunge and the other alternative) and a huge 90s rap song

And we knocked off 4(?) former GH songs.
  • Have to say I'm pretty happy overall with the pass. Great set of songs.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    I would've liked to have seen a current chart hit in the season pass, but it hasn't been too bad. Except for two songs I probably wouldn't have bought normally, it's been a good mix of music.
  • Here's my rankings:
    1. God Damn
    2. Them Bones (Down in a Hole would be ranked 3rd)
    3. Stupid Girl
    4. Burnin' For You
    5. Heat of the Moment
    6. Super Freak
    7. Ice Ice Baby
    8. Stranglehold

Every song except Stranglehold was a fantastic pick but below is what my perfect spotlight pass would've been given what was released during the timeframe:
    Week 1: Stupid Girl
    Week 2: Postpone
    Week 3: I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
    Week 4: God Damn
    Week 5: Float
    Week 6: Burnin' For You
    Week 7: Heat of the Moment
    Week 8: Them Bones
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    1. Them Bones or Down in a Hole
    2. Stranglehold
    3. Burnin' For You
    4. Ice Ice Baby
    5. Stupid Girl
    6. Heat of the Moment
    7. Super Freak
    8. God Damn (distant 8th)

Are we certain that one of the AIC songs will be in the Spotlight pass or might they add a surprise song to be included since the AIC songs are already in a 3 pack? I guess Owl's "end of Season 2" means all songs have been disclosed?
  • @djb5f1 We've already had a case in the RB4 era where a song is in 2 packs, Stressed Out was in Off the Charts 04 and Twenty One Pilots 01.

That said, the fact we're getting an artist pack now means we should cautious if there's a season 3 spotlight pass as if there's enough packs or big enough packs you may be better off just buying the DLC normally rather than getting the spotlight pass.
  • @djb5f1 We've already had a case in the RB4 era where a song is in 2 packs, Stressed Out was in Off the Charts 04 and Twenty One Pilots 01.

That said, the fact we're getting an artist pack now means we should cautious if there's a season 3 spotlight pass as if there's enough packs or big enough packs you may be better off just buying the DLC normally rather than getting the spotlight pass.

Or it means we can keep doing what we've been doing because we won't know any S3 DLC until the end of the month.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The Season 2 pack was definitely worth it. It's the next best thing to getting "Track Pack" discs again. Heck, it might be better, the on-disc play was very stripped down.

I'm in no way a "sure thing" for the Season 3 pack, if they offer one, if only because there is NO WAY it'll be as awesome as the Season 2 one was. It's just impossible. I picture myself waiting until week 3 before making the plunge: if the first 3 songs are solid (and all use full stems?), surely I'd pull the trigger at that point.

Again, IF there is a Season 3 Pack.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited October 4

Actually, I get the suspicion that if the Season 3 Spotlight Pass comes to be, we're going to be dealing mostly with two-song weeks to avoid this possibility (or that any three-song pack week will include a Rewind). Check it:

The Spotlight Pass costs $13.49 for eight songs, which comes down to the standard $1.69ish per song. Next week, the AiC three-pack should cost $5.49 if it's going to be priced like any other three-pack (and why wouldn't it be?). However, if you have the Pass and you buy the other two songs, the three songs will cost you $5.66ish altogether--cheaper than buying all three songs so you GET some sort of savings, but not cheaper than the three-pack. And the more songs per pack, the less you save per song (because you're paying for X-1 songs + $1.69ish for that last song). Week over week, having three or more songs available in a pack will screw over pass holders.

However, for people who already have the exports, they're only paying $1.99 for the non-Rewind song, so they're significantly better off than those who hold the pass and no exports. Sure, pass holders could potentially save more by buying the whole pack rather than individual tracks (at least from 6-packs on, if my math is right, which it might not be), but obviously they're still screwed because they bought the pass.

I think that for next week, Harmonix is banking on the idea that MOST of the people (at the very least, ENOUGH people) getting the Pass are also people who've exported their old songs, so they don't have this conundrum very frequently. And people who bought the pass early on saved $2.50 from the pass anyway, so overall they're still saving money if they wanted all the songs in the pass as well as all the songs in AiC 03.

Or something like that. It's the end of the day, my head hurts.

EDIT: There's another possibility, though I honestly think it seems less likely than packs with spotlight songs being released every week: Spotlight songs are singles, and separate packs being sold alongside those singles. I can see this being the case for, for example, a Rock Band 10th-anniversary pack containing 5-10 Rewinds.