DLC Discussion Thread: 1982 Is Calling and the End of Season 2

Comments

• dog037 said:

An Alice in Chains song no one's mentioning is Got Me Wrong. It was in Clerks.

It's my favorite AIC song, and I like a ton of their stuff.. Hopefully these 3 songs sell well so we can get it in the next AIC pack!
  • dog037 said:

It's my favorite AIC song, and I like a ton of their stuff.. Hopefully these 3 songs sell well so we can get it in the next AIC pack!
    I went and looked it up and yeah I totally remember that one. Cool song. Not sure if it's in my top 10 for AiC, but you can throw it in with I Stay Away and Angry Chair for sure. Probably ranks around Angry Chair for me.
  • @thatmarkguy Maybe for Down in a Hole but Them Bones is probably something like GH exclusivity. We know GH exclusivity wasn't always artists but rather sometimes just individual songs thanks to the RBN community. For example Calling by Strung Out was GH exclusive but if RBN didn't die we would've gotten other Strung Out songs.

I can imagine they likely tried to do this with a few songs from GH:GH. They wouldn't want Hmx releasing a bunch of songs from it soon after and stealing their thunder.
    Yeah, 2008-2010 was a massive exclusivity war between GH and RB though the RB4 era shows that Metallica was almost certainly the exclusivity deal that hurt the most.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    djb5f1 said:

@Meat-Popsicle , you from Virginia?

I'm from several places, but I live in Virginia now, yes!
    Went to HS in Maryland, went to college in Pittsburgh, and I've been back in the DC area (4 counties + DC itself) ever since I graduated.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    As for the AIC - I might get Them Bones, but honestly, I have enough of them in my current collection - probably going in the wishlist to pick up when we have 2 or 3 weeks in a row with nothing I like.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

djb5f1 said:

@Meat-Popsicle , you from Virginia?

I'm from several places, but I live in Virginia now, yes!
    Went to HS in Maryland, went to college in Pittsburgh, and I've been back in the DC area (4 counties + DC itself) ever since I graduated.
    ok, cool. The "JMU" made me thing so. Wasn't sure how well known "JMU" is out of state so figured VA or maybe surrounding area. I've lived in VA my whole life, including college, and lived outside DC (Arlington) for a few years myself.

• jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    tnevaker said:

and holy crap! more AiC!!!

my only regret is it's not an all-new pack. but i can't complain about 2 new AiC songs, especially when they're both from Dirt, their best album. would've loved Rain When I Die as the 3rd song... or just full album DLC and be done with it... but the 2 songs we're getting are both excellent choices.
    DLC has definitely gone down in number but at least lately the quality has been much better.

I've said it before, so why not say it again? I want Nutshell. Definitely love what we're getting, though.

I will buy any and everything from both of those albums. Rain When I Die and Nutshell are essential to me. And I honestly thought we already had Sea of Sorrow. Now this is making me sad when I should be happy we're getting 2 new AiC tracks.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Never been an Alice In Chains fan but I’m happy we’re finally getting another pack! Still pumped for Heat of the Moment, it’d be neat if we could get some King Crimson, Yes, and ELP to go along with it
  • Ah, good! I don't have to pay for any new Spotlight Songs, because I already have Ace of Spades before this Challenge even started (Got it as soon as it came out as a Rewind). I'm going to wait on Eye of the Tiger, though.

I'm looking forward for the moment Heat of the Moment comes to the Playstation Store. :)
  • All this 80's which is my favorite decade sure is makes me happy, so let's keep it up at least until you give us Moonlight Shadow.
  • edited October 5
    I'll be buying Asia and probably any 80's DLC to come our way but to me 1982 would have been...

...and not some 90's ska version.

Side note: Anyone know if Supertramp has ever been on any RB or GH game?
  • I'll be buying Asia and probably any 80's DLC to come our way.

Nope. I'd reckon they're either too expensive or licensing is iffy.
  • edited October 6
    I just played "Heat of the Moment", and it doesn't have separated stems. No complaints with the audio quality though. Everything sounds great, and whammying guitar notes doesn't seem to affect anything negatively.

For those of you who saw my comment on "Burnin' For You" last week, I was an idiot and was playing the song with background music turned about 3/4 of the way down in the volume controls menu. Holy crap does that have a negative effect on the audio quality of songs without stems! I played it today with background music turned all of the way up, and it actually sounds really good!

So just a note to those of you who play with background music turned down like me, make sure you always play DIY stems songs with background music set to 100%.
  • EliBell1 said:

I just played "Heat of the Moment", and it doesn't have separated stems. No complaints with the audio quality though. Everything sounds great, and whammying guitar notes doesn't seem to affect anything negatively.

Cool stuff: There is an actual end to the song instead of the normal fade-out during the ending guitar solo.

For those of you who saw my comment on "Burnin' For You" last week, I was an idiot and was playing the song with background music turned about 3/4 of the way down in the volume controls menu. Holy crap does that have a negative effect on the audio quality of songs without stems! I played it today with background music turned all of the way up, and it actually sounds really good!

So just a note to those of you who play with background music turned down like me, make sure you always play DIY stems songs with background music set to 100%.

I've never turned down the background music before, but that makes sense that it had such an effect.. I was starting to think I was hard of hearing cuz I thought Burnin' For You sounded solid.. Good to hear you have it figured out :)
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    Super excited for the two AiC songs! Great picks for the two songs as well. I've been wanting Them Bones especially for a long time.

There's so many great AiC songs left to choose from though. We could still use at least another 6-pack from them. I think after these two, Got Me Wrong would be my top pick.
  • aimsmallmismallaimsmallmismall Unsigned
    edited October 5

dog037 said:

I went and looked it up and yeah I totally remember that one. Cool song. Not sure if it's in my top 10 for AiC, but you can throw it in with I Stay Away and Angry Chair for sure. Probably ranks around Angry Chair for me.
    To be honest, I don't know if it's really my favorite of theirs - they have so many that are on the same tier.. I will say this - it was my favorite on their unplugged album which was insanely good.. It really translated well (probably cuz acoustic guitar is featured in the original, but still).
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited October 5
    From 1982 to 1992, I love it! So happy to see "Them Bones" finally in RB, and I've always said "Down in a Hole" is an ideal harmony song. ;) And I love "Got Me Wrong" but my favorite AIC soundtrack song has to be "What the Hell Have I" from "Last Action Hero".
  • I got some "Oh, that song!" moments when checking out other Asia songs, off to the request site then!
  • I just realized this version of "Heat of the Moment" is a little over 10 seconds shorter than normal. The song ends right before the vocals come back in during the guitar solo on the album version.

I'm kinda curious as to how or why this version of the ending exists. Harmonix couldn't have created it themselves because the song doesn't have stems.

The ending is not an abrupt cut that could be created using the final mix; guitar and bass end on sustained notes that don't exist normally.

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Yowza! Just had a major "oh that song" moment with Asia's "Only Time Will Tell". I'd love to get that one day.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited October 6
    coolkat said:

I'll be buying Asia and probably any 80's DLC to come our way.

Nope. I'd reckon they're either too expensive or licensing is iffy.
    They haven't been in RB or GH but I think The Logical Song was in Karaoke Revolution (which had a separated Instrumental with backing and isolated Lead Vocal. Also have seen two genuine stems from the Logical Song floating around the internet with the original wurlitzer sound and the synth/piano. So the actual stems must be in-tact! I reckon it must be down to cost.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    EliBell1 said:

I just realized this version of "Heat of the Moment" is a little over 10 seconds shorter than normal. The song ends right before the vocals come back in during the guitar solo on the album version.

I'm kinda curious as to how or why this version of the ending exists. Harmonix couldn't have created it themselves because the song doesn't have stems.

The ending is not an abrupt cut that could be created using the final mix; guitar and bass end on sustained notes that don't exist normally.

My honest guess is that since the original ends in a fadeout, they cut the fade and added in a longer sustain to avoide an abrubt cutoff sounding ending.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 6
    Which just makes it seem all the weirder when they go the opposite way with the likes of "Hold On" and "What About Love", which do a much more gradual fade out in their well-known single and video versions and end far more abruptly (immediately after a full-volume vocal) in RB.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i'll have to listen to it more closely. i remember a couple songs (i think Dont You Forget About Me was one of them) that ended abruptly but also added an echo or reverb effect to draw out the sustain of the final notes. it's not that hard to use effects to create a sustain where none exists in the source.
  • tnevaker said:

i'll have to listen to it more closely. i remember a couple songs (i think Dont You Forget About Me was one of them) that ended abruptly but also added an echo or reverb effect to draw out the sustain of the final notes. it's not that hard to use effects to create a sustain where none exists in the source.

That's probably it. I spoke a bit too soon when I said Harmonix couldn't have created this ending themselves. It probably wasn't difficult at all to have that last note held a few seconds longer than normal even without having the separated stems.

Dang would it have been cool to have heard the actual end of the song past the fade-out though. That's the main disappointing thing about stemless songs. None of the never heard before parts in songs that the RB and GH games made possible.