DLC Discussion Thread: You're Not Dreaming

HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 11/16: Back to the '90s Pack 01!

The '90s was an explosion of music! Back to the '90s Pack 01 includes memorable songs from Ace of Base, Radiohead, and Weezer!

“The Sign”, by Swedish band Ace of Base, took the early ‘90s by storm. Releasing in 1993, it immediately went to the top of international charts and held continuous buzz for several years after. Its album sales went platinum and gold across several international regions. No party, dance, or karaoke night is complete without this pop jam. Vocals will be the challenge for this song. They cover an intense range of notes over eighth note phrasing. The rhythm section grooves behind the vocal parts.

Slowing it down, we turn to well-known single “Karma Police” by Radiohead, from their third studio album OK Computer. Upon its release, it went to the top of charts in the UK and the US and continued to stay on global charts for more than 10 years. The song opens with an instrumental verse that sets the emotional tone. The bass part carries a counter-melody against Thom Yorke’s vocal line. Guitar and drums accentuate the melody and phrases while adding heavy ambiance, especially from guitar.

What would an homage to the ‘90s be without Weezer? We’re including “Say It Ain’t So”, a Rewind from the original Rock Band setlist, in the pack. Rolling Stone declared the song #72 on its “100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time” and Pitchfork declared it #10 on its “Top 200 Tracks of the 90s”. The song was a huge success across US, UK, and Canadian charts and still receives incredible radio play and recognition. The song is a slower jam, but will still be a tough one to keep up with, especially on the guitar part that trades off between syncopated strums, melodic fills, distorted lead lines, and a solo.

Back to the '90s Pack 01 will be available for $5.49. Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Ace of Base - "The Sign"
  • Radiohead - "Karma Police" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass)
  • Weezer - "Say It Ain't So" (Rewind)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, November 16th.

Comments

• Radiohead!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Radiohead, awesome. Great choice.
  • Damn right we aren't!

Karma Police, after nearly a decade without Radiohead. THANK YOU.

And I guess that Ace of Base song is OK too :p
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    Holy **** we got Radiohead.
  • Meh.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    First Radiohead song in Rock Band after almost 10 years?

Dude.
  • Pretty sure the first DLC I ever purchased was "My Iron Lung." Now, nearly nine years later, MORE RADIOHEAD!!!
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    edited November 14
    Since we can't get [four letter word], I'll gladly take proto-[four letter word]!
  • Well there you go Radiohead Heads.

I liked there other two we got but this one not so much. Definitely great for fans that have waited for near a decade though.

But The Sign is mine. A lot of other 90s "one hit wonders" I would have gone with first, but this is still way up there.
  • On that note, Merry Pitchmas

(Yep, that one scene in the first Pitch Perfect)
  • edited November 14
    Awesome tracks, will definitely get both, but one's much more important than the other. So I whole-heartedly agree with the spotlight choice: the genre-defining, less frivolous of the two should get it.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Weird to think Rock Band's been doing DLC for nearly 10 years and this is the first '90s Pack.

Super excited for more Radiohead though.
  • Love more radiohead and ace of base is cool, will we have a announcement for the rest of the month or is it a secret?
  • Neato. Will pick this up.
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited November 14

Well there you go Radiohead Heads.

I liked there other two we got but this one not so much. Definitely great for fans that have waited for near a decade though.

But The Sign is mine. A lot of other 90s "one hit wonders" I would have gone with first, but this is still way up there.

Their songs tend to sound similar, heh, but Ace of Base weren't one hit wonders. For 1994, the year where The Sign was # 1 song, All That She Wants was the # 9 song and Don't Turn Around was # 10. And they may have had another hit or two.
  • g-money25 said:

Love more radiohead and ace of base is cool, will we have a announcement for the rest of the month or is it a secret?

Assume secret.
  • The long-awaited third Radiohead song in the entire Rock Band franchise is here!

Also The Sign is cool.
  • Karma Police, nice one Harmonix :)
  • Wow, a complete surprising shocker. I didn't think we'd get any more Radiohead until now.

Nice to see songs from OK Computer, but I wished it was Paranoid Android, though. But I digress, Karma Police is a good song too, and it was expected that Karma Police would come before Paranoid Android. Nice to see that it's the Spotlight Song over Ace of Base (And interesting to see that Ace of Base makes their Rock Band debut. The Sign is a good song as well). Nice choices for the 1990s week. I can't wait to pick up this wonderful pack. :)

Nice to see that the 1990s is getting their own Solid 70's-esque pack. Looking forward to seeing Back To The 90's 02. :)

Weekly Challenge Theme: Running In The 90's... Again (90's Challenge repeat)
    =Spotlight Songs=
    - Karma Police (Radiohead)
    - Little Miss Can't Be Wrong (Spin Doctors)
    - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana (The only Big 4 Grunge Band that has yet to be used as a Spotlight Artist)

Seeing Karma Police gives me a small glimmer of hope that we'll eventually get Paranoid Android and possibly, Creep Rewind, someday. :)
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I click these videos every time without reading so I'm surprised by each song...

Chills down my spine when I heard "Karma Police" !!!!

One of the best weeks of the year right here!
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Radiohead? Say it ain't so
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I'm not a Radiohead fan, but it's still impressive. Also, about time we got Ace of Base, even if I would've preferred "All That She Wants".
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    edited November 14
    I wonder if this opens the door up to "Creep" being a rewind....

Rolling Stones still on the table possibly? (I can only dream)
  • 90's Pack 01 you say?!

Thank you Harmonix! <3 :)
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act

• Not the biggest personal fans of the two new songs, but it is cool to see such big hits of the decade make it to the series; and yeah, I may actually buy both on Thursday, actually! :hushed: Still tough to top the recent Alice in Chains pack though. Overall, a great decade and a great week!
  • My challenge spotlight predictions are:
    Live - "All Over You"
    Radiohead - "Karma Police"
    Ozzy Osbourne - "Road to Nowhere"
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    I was fairly excited when I saw The Sign, but I lost my mind when I heard Karma Police. If I don't spend all of my money on Xbox's Black Friday Sale I will have to pick up the spotlight pass.

I can't wait for next week's announcement. If Harmonix can get Radiohead, then Muse is definitely within the realm of possibility.