DLC Discussion Thread: You're Not Dreaming

Comments

• Yeah, I hate this week of DLC...

At least a lot of you guys are happy with this week
  • Not the biggest personal fans of the two new songs, but it is cool to see such big hits of the decade make it to the series; and yeah, I may actually buy both on Thursday, actually! :hushed: Still tough to top the recent Alice in Chains pack though. Overall, a great decade and a great week!

This is pretty much exactly as I feel.
    I don't really like Radiohead, but my girlfriend loves them - so that's a definite purchase.
    And while I don't really like "The Sign" much either, it's pretty iconic in its own cheesy 90's way - so I'm gonna have to pick it up.. Man, this game has me hooked!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Ace of Base makes me want to put my head through a window but hey, more Radiohead FTW!
  • hiimSMAP said:

My Radiohead 3-pack would be

Just
    Paranoid Android
    Electioneering

Make it a 6 pack and I’d add

Street Spirit (Fade Out)
    Optimistic
    Stop Whispering

Nice! Mine would be:

House of Cards
    High and Dry
    Paranoid Android
  • Runa216 said:

Runa216 said:

I just don't get it, why do people like Radiohead so much? Their music is slow and boring and repetitive and whiny. My Iron Lung and Creep are two of my least enjoyed songs in the entire franchise....

...and the chart for this one looks just as slow, boring, and whiny as those.

Why do people like this band? Furthermore, why do they like this band in Rock Band? Not a single chart of theirs to this date has been in any way fun to play, and are often the ones I dread most when going back to play old songs/games.

I'm sure somebody said something similar to this towards a band that you may very well enjoy both to hear and play in this game.

Mostly the thing to remember is Radiohead is a BIG get for this franchise, especially since they still play and release music that many find to be good. And in the days of Spotlight Passes, where all the songs in there NEED to be guaranteed sales even if they never get a play at all, that's what will help keep the lights on a little longer.

Except I bought the Spotlight Pass, and now I have to deal with this garbage in my game. I knew it was a bad idea to buy into that knowing the inherent risks of getting crap music like this!

Guess no spotlight pass for me in the future.
    Well, I'm gonna buy these songs even though I'm not particularly a fan of either.. So I don't hate them, but I see where you're coming from.. The only reason I don't think I'll ever get the spotlight passes is because I don't want what I consider "filler" in my library.. The savings just isn't enough to justify.. So I buy what I want individually, and if I end up spending a bit more - oh well..

I think they'd have to drop the pass to about $10 for me to jump.
  • Ace of base. So down.
  • Obviously being in the R&R HOF isn't a remotely perfect indicator of quality.

Like I said, CLEVELAND.
  • LoopyChew said:

Obviously being in the R&R HOF isn't a remotely perfect indicator of quality.

Like I said, CLEVELAND.
    Rocks.

Cleveland Rocks.
  • Also, I always felt Just was the naturally obvious third choice for Radiohead but I'm more than happy with Karma Police.

And when I saw The Sign was DLC, my eyes may have opened a bit.
  • LoopyChew said:

Obviously being in the R&R HOF isn't a remotely perfect indicator of quality.

Like I said, CLEVELAND.

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

Yeah, I hate this week of DLC...

Even if you don't like Radiohead, getting another song from a band who we haven't seen anything from in almost 10 years ("My Iron Lung" was December 18, 2007) is a big deal.

Who knows, maybe we can get more songs from Rolling Stones or Muse while we're at it.
    This. This should be the takeaway/consolation this week for the demented few who come away from this week's announcement disappointed (or in one case, outraged!) - it's a sign that HMX is still chasing white whales (and not always coming up empty). Radiohead's fans had as much as written off any possibility of ever getting them again - even in yesterday's November thread you can find several people, myself included, listing Radiohead as a fantasyland unattainable get before segueing to actual attainables one the requisite chuckle about the usual-suspects unattainables had come and gone.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited November 14
    Skipping Radiohead - I'd never heard it before (I didn't listen to the radio much in the last 5 years of the 90s) and don't especially care for it now that I have heard it. Happy for those that are super excited about it.
    I have the rewind. But the Sign is a must buy!

In the late 90s I was finding a huge "underground" Prog community and really dove into Neo-prog, and also neo-Swing. The radio in my area was dominated by Pop Tarts and Boy Bands, and most alternative music was just a little too depressing for me. :)
  • Apparently I'm demented for being personally disappointed in this week. I'm happy HMX was able to get Radiohead. I'm not a huge fan of the band, but I'm more disappointed by the choice of songs. There are others that fit RB better, such as the already-mentioned Just.

One of the guys in Ace of Base was a neo-Nazi. He renounced his past but I don't know if that's good enough for me. I passed on Nugent so I'm probably passing on this.

I'm most excited for Say It Ain't So. Been hoping for that for a while.
  • I've been dying for Fake Plastic Trees. I'd think that'd be the next obvious choice.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I really want Screaming Trees (Dollar Bill) but I think we missed it (90's)
    edited November 14

Skipping Radiohead - I'd never heard it before (I didn't listen to the radio much in the last 5 years of the 90s) and don't especially care for it now that I have heard it. Happy for those that are super excited about it.

In the late 90s I was finding a huge "underground" Prog community and really dove into Neo-prog, and also neo-Swing. The radio in my area was dominated by Pop Tarts and Boy Bands, and most alternative music was just a little too depressing for me. :)

The 90s and into the 2000s was also my prog and neoprog phase. My favorite artist at the time was Marillion. To this day, "This Strange Engine" stands as my second-favorite song ever (behind Genesis' "Supper's Ready"). I bought more CDs by the likes of Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings than I care to recall, as well as delving into prog's past (for a great forerunner to neoprog, if you haven't heard Locanda Delle Fate's "Forse le lucciole non si amano piu", get an ear on that).

But a prog fan, more than anyone, should need not be told that 'I never heard (acclaimed thing) because I wasn't listening to radio when it was big' is a lame excuse. As a niche-music fan, everything you know and hear is because you sought it out, not because it landed on you. The aforementioned Supper's Ready is my favorite song despite me not listening to radio much when it came out - as I understand it, it wasn't played much on radio then anyway, and it didn't help that I was, you know, negative five years old. But decades later, as a music fan seeking out good stuff, I eventually found it. Same way I found Abbey Road, same way I found Kind of Blue.

So, upon consideration, I have decided that I reject your excuse that you missed out on OK Computer because you had your head buried in neoprog at the time. I had my head at least partially buried in neo then too. Part of the reason we became prog fans is because of an unquenchable thirst for musical beauty. We seek and find great stuff whether it's popular or not, we don't deliberately let anything great pass us by.

If you had listened to OK Computer and decided it wasn't for you, that's one thing. But that you hadn't even heard it before... shows a real lack of the sort of exploratory tendencies that really should be part of the progfan package.

Note: I don't especially like Karma Police (as I mentioned earlier, I find it one of the weakest tracks on OK Computer). But there's a LOT of tasty meat on OK Computer for prog fans. There's a reason this guy whose favorite two songs of all time are prog epics, named OK Computer as best album ever. More than Hybris. More than Brave. More than In the Court of the Crimson King or Red. More than Selling England By the Pound.

Here's a snippet from OK Computer's Wiki page:
    "
    Numerous critics and reporters have detected a stylistic debt to 1970s progressive rock, an influence that members of Radiohead have always disavowed. According to Andy Greene in Rolling Stone, Radiohead "were collectively hostile to Seventies progressive rock ('I didn't even like Pink Floyd,' says O'Brien), but that didn't stop them from reinventing prog from scratch on OK Computer, particularly on the six-and-a-half-minute 'Paranoid Android'." Writing in 2017, The New Yorker's Kelefa Sanneh said OK Computer "was profoundly prog: grand and dystopian, with a lead single that was more than six minutes long.
    "
  • Ace of Base Super Pack

All That She Wants
    Don't Turn Around
    Beautiful Life
    Cruel Summer
    Lucky Love
    Everytime It Rains
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 14
    I saw the thread title and immediately got "Don't Dream It's Over" stuck in my head. But that song is from the 80s!Obviously it was not going to be in this pack.

"Get to know the feeling of liberation and release"
  • tdc002 said:

Even if you don't like Radiohead, getting another song from a band who we haven't seen anything from in almost 10 years ("My Iron Lung" was December 18, 2007) is a big deal.

Who knows, maybe we can get more songs from Rolling Stones or Muse while we're at it.
    I don't really think it is such a big deal, there are many bands we have not seen since RB1, and Radiohead is just another run of the mill 90s band. Nowhere near the RB1 bands like Roiling Stones.

I assumed Radiohead was a one hit wonder band until I spent time here... since the only thing I have heard outside the internet is "Creep"
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    I was getting pretty excited when I saw the thread title, I was thinking to myself: Wow, Guns N Roses, or Led Zeppelin!!!

Ok Radiohead, it's pretty cool to see a band who hasn't had DLC in this game for nearly 10 years. Up until this point the only other band to have such a gap between releases was Oasis.

Ace of Base, mmm...not really a group I'm a fan of and all the earlier songs are pretty similar to one another and the only ones I know of are "All That She Wants" and i think it was "Always Have, Always Will".

And....I already have "Say It Ain't So" but one of those songs I play on a lot of RB sessions, so it's a good song for those who missed out the opportunity to export Rock Band 1.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    edited November 14

tdc002 said:

I don't really think it is such a big deal, there are many bands we have not seen since RB1, and Radiohead is just another run of the mill 90s band. Nowhere near the RB1 bands like Roiling Stones.

I assumed Radiohead was a one hit wonder band until I spent time here... since the only thing I have heard outside the internet is "Creep"
    VH1 considered them to be the greatest Rock and Roll band of all-time... hardly run of the mill.

Personally, I have them at number five. ;)
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    In 2005, they were ranked 73rd in Rolling Stone's list of "The Greatest Artists of All Time".

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/radiohead-20110420

It's certainly possible to hate them (people do!) or to listen to a lot of music your whole life and barely get to know them (tricky, but not impossible!), but to claim they aren't an all-time legendary band is to be in denial.
  • tdc002 said:

Honestly I think Radiohead is slightly overrated myself, but that says more about you than it says about Radiohead.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited November 14

If you had listened to OK Computer and decided it wasn't for you, that's one thing. But that you hadn't even heard it before... shows a real lack of the sort of exploratory tendencies that really should be part of the progfan package.
    "
    I'd head some other Radiohead, and I didn't especially care for it. I just hadn't heard the song. I might have once or twice listening, but I never heard it on the radio - and if I did, it made little enough impact that I don't even recognize it.

At that point in my life, I was looking for more upbeat stuff. Marillian and Illuvatar were bands I discovered, but I also discovered Rocket Scientists (and Lana Lane) and Europowermetal. And the huge Swing revival stuff. Things I really enjoyed, and had energy. Sorta like the 80s I avoided the Smiths and Depeche Mode (in general) and listened to B-52s, Devo and Men Without Hats. Radiohead did not fit what I was after. I had all the dark and depressing stuff I could want by having all of Gary Numan's albums.

Most of what you say I tend to agree with though.

Radiohead is just another run of the mill 90s band. Nowhere near the RB1 bands like Roiling Stones.

LOL. You know, aside from the near-universal acclaim from critics and music aficianados alike.
  • edited November 14
    V8VANTAGE said:

I was getting pretty excited when I saw the thread title, I was thinking to myself: Wow, Guns N Roses, or Led Zeppelin!!!

No, it couldn't be Led Zeppelin, because of the Decade Theme for Season 3, and this week is 1990s music. Led Zeppelin didn't had any songs recorded in the 1990s that were new since the death of John Bonham.

That, plus Jimmy Page's disdain towards Music Rhythm-games. And even if it was Zeppelin, then it would've been during 1970s week, which was two weeks ago. Now, if it was Pink Floyd, that would be a different story, because unlike Zeppelin, Floyd did released a album during the 1990s, which was The Division Bell.
    edited November 14

I'd head some other Radiohead, and I didn't especially care for it. I just hadn't heard the song. I might have once or twice listening, but I never heard it on the radio - and if I did, it made little enough impact that I don't even recognize it.

'Some other Radiohead'. You realize Radiohead has reinvented their sound more times than King Crimson, right? It's as foolish to dismiss Paranoid Android unheard because you didn't like Creep or Lotus Flower, as it is to dismiss Starless unheard because you didn't like Thrak or Larks Tongues in Aspic.

Aside: Have you heard Marillion's cover of Fake Plastic Trees? Even neoprog musicmakers like Radiohead.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 14
    @firedoom666 There's quite a lot, these are a just few RB1 era exclusive artist examples:
    - Boston
    - The Rolling Stones
    - Black Sabbath (4 As Made Famous By covers)
    - Metallica (Kind of, sure Battery was in RB2 but the GH exclusivity was put in place before that. See the 2008 OXM metal pack announcement for example)
    - Muse
    - The Cars

You also have some examples of RB1 era exclusive artists reappearing in the RB4 era like:
    - Garbage (Stupid Girl in August 2017)
    - Radiohead (Karma Police on November 2017)
    - Pixies (Where is My Mind? in July 2016)

I'm using exclusive here to mean hasn't appeared in RB since the week before RB2 launch.