DLC Discussion Thread: Late Aughts

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Plot twist - Celine Dion wrote it!
  • I'd be iffy with calling Amon Amarth Viking metal. Viking metal has its own musical style (it originates as an offshoot of black metal mixed with Nordic Viking folk music), whereas Amon Amarth is a melodic death metal band with Viking-themed lyrics. In other words, when I think Viking metal I think Bathory and Enslaved, but when I think of Viking-themed metal Amon Amarth does come to mind. Just a bit of personal thought about that.

That being said, holy crap, my metalhead mind has been satisfied with tru br00tal metal. Now we just need Carcass, Vektor, Death, Darkthrone, or basically any band that would make the PMRC have an epileptic seizure. Extreme metal, at least in my eyes, needs some more representation as a whole.

And The Killers song, the rewind everybody thought would happen. A pretty good song, not necessarily my favorite Killers track musically, but it is quite fun to play. Definitely picking up both songs.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    coolkat said:

I'd be iffy with calling Amon Amarth Viking metal. Viking metal has its own musical style (it originates as an offshoot of black metal mixed with Nordic Viking folk music), whereas Amon Amarth is a melodic death metal band with Viking-themed lyrics. In other words, when I think Viking metal I think Bathory and Enslaved, but when I think of Viking-themed metal Amon Amarth does come to mind. Just a bit of personal thought about that.

That being said, holy crap, my metalhead mind has been satisfied with tru br00tal metal. Now we just need Carcass, Vektor, Death, Darkthrone, or basically any band that would make the PMRC have an epileptic seizure. Extreme metal, at least in my eyes, needs some more representation as a whole.

And The Killers song, the rewind everybody thought would happen. A pretty good song, not necessarily my favorite Killers track musically, but it is quite fun to play. Definitely picking up both songs.

I’m a bit iffy in calling Amon Amarth Viking metal myself, but they’re the closest we’re ever gonna get, as the likes of Bathory and Enslaved are slim to none
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    Is When You Were Young the most recycled music game song ever.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    So, like, I've not been up to date with how things work, so are they still doing weekly Rock Band streams? I'm at the HMX Twitch page and it's a barren wasteland atm...
  • @LiveHomeVideo Not weekly anymore, the last stream was the roadmap stream in late October where they went over the near future of RB and played the 50s-80s DLC.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    dog037 said:

You wanna talk about recycling? "Twilight of the Thunder God" is the 299th song to have been in all three major music games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Rocksmith).
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    *insert clip of John Oliver saying "cool" they way he does here*.
  • I wonder what was going on behind the scenes when "twilight of" was written. Was it a bit like this....

That's AxCx. For real, that's what they used to do. Grace your ears with one of their masterpieces.

The mind behind this also did guest vocals for the Great Southern Trendkill, which is in the game.

@LiveHomeVideo Not weekly anymore, the last stream was the roadmap stream in late October where they went over the near future of RB and played the 50s-80s DLC.

Ah, damn. Was looking forward to seeing if I could get Twilight for free :P Oh well, gotta use real money like everyone else (something I can do now, so yay).
  • @LiveHomeVideo Not weekly anymore, the last stream was the roadmap stream in late October where they went over the near future of RB and played the 50s-80s DLC.

Ah, damn. Was looking forward to seeing if I could get Twilight for free :P Oh well, gotta use real money like everyone else (something I can do now, so yay).
    It was weekly up until then; perhaps it resumes in the new year?
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Looking at the preview chart made me think of a question I've been meaning to ask:

What makes them decide when to use those strumming lanes (I forget what they're called; like the trill lanes) versus exact timing of the notes?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 29
    tdc002 said:

Man, whatever happened to getting packs around the holidays? :(

We're up to week 6 out of 8 for season 3 now and only 2 paid non-rewinds haven't been part of the spotlight pass so far (Slow Ride, The Sign).
    Xzalor said:

This isn’t Cage the Elephant.

For a spotlight song, I would hope they would pick a song that at least most people could attempt to sing or play. Obscene metal should never be the spotlight pass pick of the week. This should have been a separate track to purchase. Just give us a three song week sheesh

But there's nothing really obscene about the song's lyrics at all. It's literally just a viking story, lyrically it's nowhere near the levels of modern pop in terms of obscenity.
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star

Xzalor said:

For a spotlight song, I would hope they would pick a song that at least most people could attempt to sing or play. Obscene metal should never be the spotlight pass pick of the week. This should have been a separate track to purchase. Just give us a three song week sheesh

But there's nothing really obscene about the song's lyrics at all. It's literally just a viking story, lyrically it's nowhere near the levels of modern pop in terms of obscenity.
    I’m talking about the vocal style.
    Xzalor said:

Xzalor said:

I’m talking about the vocal style.
    "Obscene" implies there's something morally wrong with something, and while I understand not liking the style of vocals, calling it "obscene" seems a bit much. As for vocalists, the way these sorts of songs are charted allows the vocalist to pretty much make any sound they want, so faithfully recreating the death growls shouldn't be an issue, unless you don't like the idea of doing a silly voice instead.
    Xzalor said:

There is absolutely nothing obscene about a particular style of music and Harmonix does not have to cater to a specific style of music for the spotlight pass, it is their game and they can choose whatever they want.

Imagine the tables were turned here. I can’t stand Cage the Elephant, but I certainly would not be saying that their music has no place in the spotlight pass. And in the grand scheme of things, you’ll find that Twilight of the Thunder God is rather melodic compared to the vast majority of metal out there
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    edited November 29
    dog037 said:

I think "Free Bird" has gotta take that one.
    It was a part of the setlists for Guitar Hero II, Guitar Hero: Smash Hits and Rock Band 3 and it's been DLC for Guitar Hero 5, Rock Band 4 and Rocksmith.

"When You Were Young" has been featured in the setlists for Guitar Hero III, Rock Band, Guitar Hero Live and Rock Band VR, and is now also DLC for Rock Band 4.

So it's 6-5, actually super close, I wonder how many other songs have made 5+ appearances at this point.

EDIT: after a quick couple googles I see that "Reptilia" by The Strokes also makes at least 5 appearances.
  • edited November 29
    Can't wait to crush this song on drums! More tough stuff is welcome! :)
  • @GLaDOS It's 6-6, When You Were Young was also RS DLC in 2014.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Oh crazy, I should've known that since I own that pack. So yeah I guess The Killers and Skynyrd have the honors until someone else wants to spend more time cross-referencing setlists than I care to.
    I’m pretty sure Ace of Spades has appeared in the most games
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    The GH5 DLC chart of Freebird only appeared in the Wii version. On Xbox & PS3, it was just the SH chart again.
  • Amon Amarth is one of my favorite bands so I am super stoked they are in RB now! Hopefully we get more of them in the future. I am going to try this on expert (fail miserably I expect) then have to settle for hard, lol.
  • coolkat said:

I'd be iffy with calling Amon Amarth Viking metal. Viking metal has its own musical style (it originates as an offshoot of black metal mixed with Nordic Viking folk music), whereas Amon Amarth is a melodic death metal band with Viking-themed lyrics. In other words, when I think Viking metal I think Bathory and Enslaved, but when I think of Viking-themed metal Amon Amarth does come to mind. Just a bit of personal thought about that.

To me, Ensiferum is the definitive viking metal band. Lai Lai Hei has been one of my most wanted songs for 10 years now.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    I thought Amon Amarth hated music games.

I'm glad I was wrong though, YAY for this DLC!
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 29

@LiveHomeVideo Not weekly anymore, the last stream was the roadmap stream in late October where they went over the near future of RB and played the 50s-80s DLC.

It was weekly up until then; perhaps it resumes in the new year?
    It wasn't quite weekly regarding RB in recent months (the weekly streak ended in August), there were quite a few no RB weeks because of DropMix and/or Super Beat Sports. Speaking of which, there's another DropMix stream today at 3pm eastern.