DLC Prediction January 2018: New Year, New Songs

Comments

• GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Realistically we're gonna get like, Rock/Indie Rock/Classic Rock + Pop-Rock/Pop/Dance/Electronic and.... Sothern Rock/Country? I really hope we get some kind of New Wave week but I don't know if they'd do that and not have used "Enjoy The Silence"
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited January 11
    Depeche Mode is sorted under Pop/Dance/Electronic in RB.

As for groups, I could see the 2 Pop genres maybe being mixed with Hip-Hop/Rap and ending up with something like:
    Maroon 5 - "Maps"
    The Black Eyed Peas - "Boom Boom Pow"
    Sean Paul - "Temperature"
  • GLaDOS said:

Realistically we're gonna get like, Rock/Indie Rock/Classic Rock + Pop-Rock/Pop/Dance/Electronic and.... Sothern Rock/Country? I really hope we get some kind of New Wave week but I don't know if they'd do that and not have used "Enjoy The Silence"

Not sure if this counts for much, but in RB3's tour mode, the "choose a/random pop setlist" levels included New Wave as well as Pop-rock and Pop/Dance/Electronic. Classic Rock also included Southern Rock.

I can see that changing a little bit: Pop will include the above + Hip-hop/Rap; Classic Rock and Rock will be brought together, with Southern Rock pairing with Country. Grunge I can see going with either Punk or Alternative; Alternative possibly with Indie); Punk maybe with Emo? No idea for things like Funk/Soul/R&B or Ska/Reggae. Maybe an "other" week with that, Novelty and Other? I feel like I'm missing a few genres that are in RB4 - as far as I know, things like J-Rock and Classical are RBN-exclusive...
  • KKFan5 said:

I want more Sheryl Crow, I know I can't be the only one either

As long as it don't include Kid Rock I will take more Crow lol
  • edited January 11
    Sorta refined my genre grouping predictions, based on stuff I own. Might still be a few genres unaccounted for but based on what I reckon goes with what in terms of sound and stuff I mentioned in my last post, I think we might get:

Everything week (already happened):
    All genres

Metal week (current):
    Glam
    Metal
    Nu-metal
    Prog

And in no particular order
    Rock week:
    Rock
    Classic rock

Punk week:
    Punk
    Grunge
    Emo

Pop week:
    Pop/dance/electronic
    Pop-rock
    Hip-hop/rap
    New wave

Southern week:
    Country
    Southern rock

Alternative week:
    Alternative
    Indie rock

Other week:
    Blues
    Novelty
    Other
    R&B/soul/funk
    Ska/reggae
  • Vexus said:

Sorta refined my genre grouping predictions, based on stuff I own. Might still be a few genres unaccounted for but based on what I reckon goes with what in terms of sound and stuff I mentioned in my last post, I think we might get:

All genres

Metal week (current):
    Glam
    Metal
    Nu-metal
    Prog

Rock week:
    Rock
    Classic rock

Punk week:
    Punk
    Grunge
    Emo

Pop week:
    Pop/dance/electronic
    Pop-rock
    Hip-hop/rap
    New wave

Southern week:
    Country
    Southern rock

Alternative week:
    Alternative
    Indie rock

Other week:
    Blues
    Novelty
    Other
    R&B/soul/funk
    Ska/reggae

That would work.

Vexus said:

All genres

Metal week (current):
    Glam
    Metal
    Nu-metal
    Prog

Rock week:
    Rock
    Classic rock

Punk week:
    Punk
    Grunge
    Emo

Pop week:
    Pop/dance/electronic
    Pop-rock
    Hip-hop/rap
    New wave

Southern week:
    Country
    Southern rock

Alternative week:
    Alternative
    Indie rock

Other week:
    Blues
    Novelty
    Other
    R&B/soul/funk
    Ska/reggae

That would work.
    Bloodstone "Other week" would be the best
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Vexus said:

All genres

Metal week (current):
    Glam
    Metal
    Nu-metal
    Prog

Rock week:
    Rock
    Classic rock

Punk week:
    Punk
    Grunge
    Emo

Pop week:
    Pop/dance/electronic
    Pop-rock
    Hip-hop/rap
    New wave

Southern week:
    Country
    Southern rock

Alternative week:
    Alternative
    Indie rock

Other week:
    Blues
    Novelty
    Other
    R&B/soul/funk
    Ska/reggae

Grunge is definitely not punk. Grunge was basically a subgenre of Alternative Rock, so I'd imagine it would go along with Alternative.

Really, I just don't think it's wise to assume they're going to lump a ton of genres together every week just because they did it this week. One week doesn't make a trend. Larger genres (like Classic Rock, Rock, Punk, Alternative, etc) don't really need to be saddled with smaller genres. They have plenty of songs already.

I have a feeling the reason they did the Everything Counts theme for week 1 was just so they can say they included stuff like Blues, Reggae/Ska, etc without having to hamfist them into another genre.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    I’d say grunge is pretty well rooted in punk, though it’s not a direct subgenre
  • I’m gonna agree that they’d maybe pair Southern Rock and Classic Rock together. Not modern rock and classic. Who knows though.. only the sneaky Harmonixers ;)
  • edited January 12
    If metal apparently needs prog and glam (how much it fits in with the whole metal challenge thing be damned) to bolster its numbers, then other "big" genres need it too. Even without the RBN, there is a pretty big amount of metal available for RB4, so there's no shortage of options for this week (especially after adding nu-metal into the fold).

This is assuming that's the intent of lumping genres together - my take is that it's to try and promote the smaller genres a bit and not totally alienate people who aren't as into the main genre. I'm sure we all know people who straight up hate certain genres, so giving them a way to contribute to their crew during a week of stuff they otherwise hate is no bad thing.

Grunge has enough roots in punk that I would count it as a subgenre, though admittedly it would also fit snugly into alternative - could go either way, I guess. I'll also admit that an "other week" is actually pretty unlikely.

Classic and southern rock would work well. Not sure how much recent southern rock we've even got. I know My Morning Jacket counts as southern rock now, apparently, but otherwise... I'm also not sure where that would leave country.

I also considered blues again. If rock and classic rock go together as I initially thought, maybe it could go there? Not sure otherwise. It's a pretty tiny genre in RB4, so there's no way it's getting the spotlight on its own.
  • My genre predictions (not in week order):

Week's DLC is Glam (known)
    Glam
    Metal
    Nu-metal
    Prog

Week's DLC is Indie Rock
    Rock
    Indie Rock

Week's DLC is mostly or all Grunge
    Grunge
    Alternative

Week's DLC is Modern Pop (we got 80s/90s pop in week 1)
    Pop/Dance/Electronic
    Pop-Rock

Week's DLC is Country
    Country
    Southern Rock
    Classic Rock
    Blues

Week's DLC is R&B/Soul/Funk and Hip-Hop/Rap
    Hip-Hop/Rap
    Novelty
    Other
    R&B/Soul/Funk
    Reggae/Ska
    New Wave

Week's DLC is Emo
    Punk
    Emo
  • I definitely think Rock, Classic and Indie will comprise Rock week, with Blues being a possibility. Though it's identified as a rock sub-genre, I also do think Southern Rock is likely to be teamed with Country. And Alternative and Grunge is an inevitable pairing in my opinion. I also feel New Wave would be matched with Pop. If not for this week, I would say Metal was a Bloodstone challenge, based on past seasons, particularly because of Avenged Sevenfold and other songs with hard guitar/bass/drum difficulty. Now my prediction would be R&B/Soul/etc. for one Bloodstone week, for these genres typically carry some of the hardest vocal difficulties and bass in the Funk category particularly.
  • One of these genres could be...Born Under a Bad Sign if you know what I mean. But it might make a Soul Man out of you yet.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I don’t know if we have enough blues. If anything blues and country will be lumped together in an awkward union.
  • My genre predictions (not in week order):
    Week's DLC is mostly or all Grunge
    Grunge
    Alternative

That'll be where the Pearl Jam rewind will fit then!
  • Witticus said:

I don’t know if we have enough blues. If anything blues and country will be lumped together in an awkward union.

I'm not a huge fan of Blues outside of Rock Band, but in Rock Band .. holy crap is the guitar fun!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited January 12
    Vexus said:

Grunge has enough roots in punk that I would count it as a subgenre, though admittedly it would also fit snugly into alternative - could go either way, I guess. I'll also admit that an "other week" is actually pretty unlikely.

How in god's name does Grunge have roots in Punk?! Most grunge bands usually cited The Pixies, Melvins, Dinosaur Jr, The Jesus Lizard, REM, etc as direct influences. Literally all of them are Alternative bands, not punk. I think all of the Big 4 Grunge bands cited classic Black Sabbath as an influence, which is far from punk. Yes, Alternative was born out of Punk, but to say Grunge has "roots in punk" is an incredible stretch if not flat out false.

At most, you could say Hardcore Punk was an influence on Grunge, but that's just because they were on the underground scene at overlapping points.

[EDIT]
    Actually defending your point with evidence and logic goes a lot farther than clicking the disagree button, ya know.
  • Witticus said:

Last I checked, there were 13 blues songs and 10 of those are from the same Stevie Ray Vaughan album (according to RBDB). Definitely not enough to warrant its own challenge week.
  • tdc002 said:

Actually defending your point with evidence and logic goes a lot farther than clicking the disagree button, ya know.

You're a fine one to talk about using logic.
    tdc002 said:

How in god's name does Grunge have roots in Punk?! Most grunge bands usually cited The Pixies, Melvins, Dinosaur Jr, The Jesus Lizard, REM, etc as direct influences. Literally all of them are Alternative bands, not punk.

tdc002 said:

Alternative was born out of Punk

tdc002 said:

Hardcore Punk was an influence on Grunge... because they were on the underground scene at overlapping points.

"Despite the fact that grunge is influenced by and connected to punk, grunge is not connected to punk." I mean, what more did I have to say other than I obviously disagree with your lack of cohesion?

There's more to it than "they were just in the scene at the same time" - bands who share scenes pick up elements of each other all the time. Punks and metalheads shared a scene in the 80s, giving us thrash metal and the NWOBHM. Same thing here - hardcore punks and alternative rockers shared a scene, giving us grunge. The difference is that alternative was itself born out of punk, making grunge music itself thoroughly punk-like in terms of sound. Add to that the general attitude of grunge bands (DIY ethos, the idea that it was taking music back to people from corporations, the lack of pretension) being similar... yeah, grunge is absolutely born out of punk.
  • @tdc002 reference: http://www.revolutioncomeandgone.com/articles/1/the-origin-of-grunge.php

That's a nice article about the origins of the term for "grunge" in regards to the genre, which does refer to metal and punk as a direct influences, but also how it is a muddled term that is open to interpretation, which may affect how you see it. But in my opinion, even if you only include the DIY aesthetic from hardcore punk, I think it still counts as an influence.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    I mean, bands like The Jesus Lizard and Melvins are very much rooted in and indebted to hardcore punk, I would never consider grunge a punk subgenre but it’s absolutely a huge influence on the genre, and when we have stuff like Rush and Bowie in a metal week it makes about as much sense
    Nirvana thought they were a punk band until people told them otherwise.

There are plenty of quotes where Cobain talks about punk and what it means for them to be punk, Grunge is very much an evolution of punk.
  • edited January 14
    Of course now I kind of expect Harmonix to just throw a big spanner in the works and put grunge, punk and alternative in a week together, rendering this entire discussion entirely pointless! :D
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Vexus said:

Of course now I kind of expect Harmonix to just throw a big spanner in the works and put grunge, punk and alternative in a week together, rendering this entire discussion entirely pointless! :D

And disco, because who knew.
  • I always found the ‘grunge’ bands were not especially similar in sound and influences, and were lumped together in large part by timing, location, label, and aesthetic. To me, Nirvana was quite influenced by punk and post-punk, Pearl Jam more by classic rock and folk rock, Alice in Chains more by hard rock and heavy metal. I don’t think grunge has specific roots in anything because its component bands have roots in just about everything.

I always viewed them as:

Nirvana- Alternative
    Pearl Jam- Rock/Alternative
    Sound Garden- Hard Rock/Alt Metal
    Alice in Chains- Alt Metal/Heavy Metal

None of them sound just like the others. They're all pretty distinct even if one might favor one or two of the others in spots.

AiC is the one that really stands out though imo. While the others could be called Rock or Alternative, AiC is distinctly metal, and Soundgarden is much more a Hard Rock than Alt Metal sound.
This discussion has been closed.