Guitar Hero Live - New Guitar Hero Game

Comments

• Is that a Taco Bell reference?

• tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Skydog91 said:

Did this game even sell well enough to relaunch it? Seems like a waste of resources on their part...
    Harmonix at least is a mostly music genre developer... Activision doesn't need Guitar Hero.. and the only way they'd get me to buy one of their "new" games is if they went back to their old style and I could use my old instruments.

I think they figured enough time had passed that they'd see if there was an interest in music games again. There was a whole 5 year gap (okay, maybe more like 4 and a half years) between Guitar Hero games. Rock Band still supported RB3 with DLC for a few years and made Blitz. Guitar Hero had been totally dead since Spring 2011. So maybe they figured it was time for a comeback.

Plus the developer came to Activision with the idea. I'm pretty sure what happened was FreeStyleGames came up with a new guitar-based rhythm game, and Activision just allowed them to slap the Guitar Hero name on it and they called it a revival of the franchise. The game doesn't resemble any of the past GH games at all.
  • tdc002 said:

The game doesn't resemble any of the past GH games at all.

the game also does not resemble anything that is fun
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

Is that a Taco Bell reference?

makes sense. this game resembles the end product of a Taco Bell meal anyway.
  • OP banned?!?
    $41 at Walmart. Thinking about it.
  • OP banned?!?
    $41 at Walmart. Thinking about it.

I would take it for $4.1
  • Noted?

I don't think I understand comments that boil down to, "that thing you like? I hate it".
  • I don't want to learn to play guitar a third time. If they had a GRYBO guitar I would play both games and buy DLC for both. I have seen the game at $20 where I live (pun intended) but the new guitar is an eternal no.
  • Wildcat15 said:

I don't want to learn to play guitar a third time. If they had a GRYBO guitar I would play both games and buy DLC for both. I have seen the game at $20 where I live (pun intended) but the new guitar is an eternal no.

You don't buy DLC for GHL, you either buy nothing or pay for microtransactions (ingame cash to be able to play songs a finite number of times).
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    So it's the game with two guitars and exclusive GHTV content. It's selling for $79.99.

I'm kind of curious of why anyone would buy this. Also, of course they would release this before Rivals.

It's kind of sad tbh
  • jjdude1jjdude1 Rising Star
    Felt it was worth it to resurrect this thread for this: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuitarHero/comments/5oq791/freestylegames_acquired_by_ubisoft_studio_to_be/?st=iy94x3e4&sh=2a944f12

Looks as though the studio that made GH:Live for Activision has been bought up by Ubisoft. This probably means its the end for GH:Live
  • Activision still owns the Guitar Hero IP. Time to try again.
  • Wildcat15 said:

Activision still owns the Guitar Hero IP. Time to try again.

so now they will reboot the franchise and add a 7th button to the controller?
  • Wildcat15 said:

Activision still owns the Guitar Hero IP. Time to try again.

so now they will reboot the franchise and add a 7th button to the controller?
    That guitar could work with RB4
  • Xzalor said:

So it's the game with two guitars and exclusive GHTV content. It's selling for $79.99.

I'm kind of curious of why anyone would buy this. Also, of course they would release this before Rivals.

It's kind of sad tbh

I think it's funny that they use "access to 500+ songs" as a selling point when here we are with, what, 2000 or so? double that if you play RB3...
  • It popped up as the deal of the day at BestBuy yesterday so I put in a "pick up at store" order ($19.99).
  • It's... OK? I mean, they don't even pretend to use full stems (at least in GHTV mode), and that always feels lame to me. Also couldn't figure out the menu system, even though it tries very hard to hold my hand through everything ("try selecting your favorite genre"
    .. OK, I see 90s songs listed there, but no amount of strumming is getting me there, maybe I need to hit a button? Oh, now it is throwing me into a song, a modern metal song, and the song is almost over. Huh? Did I just waste a coin? No, wait, I only have to use those when I pick specific songs. I seem to earn coins and also XP after each song, but does my xp level matter? And isn't there an option to sing? Maybe I just have to plug I a mic?)

I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough. The guitar is fun as long as the song is easy, if I have to switch quickly to the tip notes I wind up hitting the lower level too, but that is "realistic". Worth $20, yes. I see lots of trophies that would be easy enough to get with a moderate amount of grinding but I really don't see myself 'grinding' any time soon. I should be getting xp in rivals instead. I'm sure I can find at least a few songs I actually would have fun playing, or maybe just watching the video.
  • I agree with all of that.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited March 2017
    I'm usually too focused on the note stream to pay attention to any other details on the screen, but I do like having the official music video on in the background during GHTV tracks. SingStar often did the same thing. I've seen so few music videos in the past 30 years or so that they are pretty much all new to me. I'm tempted to stop playing and just watch the video. I mean, I don't think you can fail out, and it's not like my score "matters". Except there are lots of trophies associated with grinding your way through songs and stringing together solid performances and I'll earn them sooner if I play well.

There was one video where a Dad chances some horny kid away from his tarted-up daughter and I was taking the Dad's side because she was too young to be dressing like that, it was gross. I don't think I'm the in the intended demographic for that song.

I played a few more GH Live tracks too. Hey, is that the real band on stage? I have no idea what most of these artists look like in real life, so: maybe? In any case, once again my tunnel vision has me staring at the note stream, so I'm not really paying attention to the visuals and the execution wind up being neither exciting nor boring. I just ignore it completely. I guess I've already seen clips of this on-stage concept, way back in 2015 (is the game really that old? yep), so there wasn't even a brief feeling of "hey, this is kinda cool". Though maybe it would have been if the whole thing was in VR? Somebody should make a VR rhythm game ;)

Using the whammy bar generates this silly effect that makes it sound like you are playing a toy keyboard over the official track. If you don't strum at all, the whole track gets quieter. If you miss a note, it plays squawking out-of-tune plunks over top of the original music. All of these conspire to make the game feel cheap. No "immersion" at all. It's way worse than what RB does with partial stems / DIY stems (which I have been thinking, until now, was just as cheap and cheesy as the mobile versions of rhythm game that don't use full stems).

Is it still kinda fun? Yeah. Kinda. I picture myself logging in 5 days in a row [so 3 more] to get the "Animal Magnetism" trophy. Probably not the "Loitering" trophy [10 days in a row]. I'll be curious to see how many "I wish this was in Rock Band" songs I can find to play during that time.

I'll also try plugging in a mic, though there don't seem to be any trophies attached to this feature. I'm not even sure the game even keeps score with vocals. We'll see.

Solid $20 purchase. I was never tempted at $99 so there's no need to speculate how ripped off I would have felt spending that much on it.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    It's funny, even at $20 it's still in the "ehhhhh, maybe" range. I'd buy it for the novelty if RB4 supported the weird guitars, but as it stands I have very little incentive
    I was at the store earlier today and passed a stack of Guitar Hero Live games. When I got home, I figured I'd check out what kind of music is being added to GHTV. I know they rolled back output a few months ago, but I didn't realize they're down to releasing 3 songs once a month in some cases. So far there's nothing even slated for March.

Apparently Ubisoft bought Freestyle Games, but Activision is still supporting the servers for some reason. It's just a matter of time until they shut down the GHTV servers and this game goes from hundreds of songs to just the 42 on disc.

It's kind of funny in retrospect that people were nervous GHL would overshadow RB4's release.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I like the interstitials on the 2 GHTV channels. I feel like those brief videos are something you might have seen between songs on VH1 back in the day. "You're watching: 2. Now back to our regular programming".
    Did they finally quit adding songs to GHL? I just realized nothing's been added since the first week of June.

It's still insane to me they added hundreds of songs in GHTV and there's only maybe a handful I'd want in Rock Band. Granted, there's a lot of repeats from the RB library, most of the new choices are just bad.
    Bumping this because it looks like Guitar Hero Live is almost nearly totally dead. Their social media hasn't posted anything since December, and there haven't been any new songs since June 2017. Between June and December, they were at least making new "shows" out of songs already in the GHTV library, and added cosmetic features like Player Cards and note highways. Now it looks like they aren't adding anything at all.

Anyone want to take bets on when they finally shut down GHTV, and it becomes a game of 42 songs in Live mode and nothing else?
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    I’m betting by June
  • I'm guessing April, that seems to be the month when music games die. GH died in April 2011, RB died in April 2013, etc.
  • tdc002 said:

Bumping this because it looks like Guitar Hero Live is almost nearly totally dead. Their social media hasn't posted anything since December, and there haven't been any new songs since June 2017. Between June and December, they were at least making new "shows" out of songs already in the GHTV library, and added cosmetic features like Player Cards and note highways. Now it looks like they aren't adding anything at all.

Anyone want to take bets on when they finally shut down GHTV, and it becomes a game of 42 songs in Live mode and nothing else?

I'm probably in the minority that wants them to keep the servers running at the least. I can live without new content as long as I have a complete game mode to play.

I'd be pretty disappointed if they did shut down GHTV completely, since 99% of the songs I REALLY like are on there and I think it's more fun than the base game. How else am I supposed to play Britny Fox's "Girlschool" without first spamming the Rock Band request page?
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    I just spent all my Hero Cash (why did I have Hero Cash?) on a crapton of plays. There's good stuff on GHTV that I hope eventually comes to Rock Band.

*nudges "You Know I'm No Good" into song request box*
  • I just spent all my Hero Cash (why did I have Hero Cash?) on a crapton of plays. There's good stuff on GHTV that I hope eventually comes to Rock Band.

*nudges "You Know I'm No Good" into song request box*

Here i'll request that just for you too :) (Not a fan but she's talented and deserves more dlc)