What were the last video games you played?

Comments

• Hockey videogames have always been best when they've been 3-on-3. I still maintain that the first two games of the "NHL Hitz" series was the most fun hockey game series ever (and then they went and spoiled it all by doing something stupid like going 5-on-5), and I keep on going back to "3 on 3 NHL Arcade" on my PS3 for quick fixes of hockey videogaming.

Oh. I was expecting it to be more like Threes! mode and I was wondering how that would work.
    razor63 said:

After playing a bunch of interactive novels this week, I finally got in the mood for Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Can't say I was invested as I was in the original, but it's still (probably) in my top 5 games for the year, based on the few other entries I have on that list. It was still enjoyable, and the backtalk feature was interesting at least, but I have issues with the pacing (considering I'm supposed to buy that it takes place in like, 5 days) and Chloe/Rachel is not as interesting a dichotomy to me as Chloe/Max, although the game did add some weight to the original for reasons I won't mention. 8/10, I guess.

I'm pretty sure it's only supposed to take place over three days, even (epilogue excepted, and I suppose the prologue takes place the evening before Day 1); like the original Life is Strange, each episode is roughly one day.

I thought the Backtalk mechanic was okay at first, but I really liked how it was used in the last episode, so I appreciated the buildup to that.

But yes, story is king in this game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story (as I previously declared).
  • LoopyChew said:

I'm pretty sure it's only supposed to take place over three days, even (epilogue excepted, and I suppose the prologue takes place the evening before Day 1); like the original Life is Strange, each episode is roughly one day.

I thought the Backtalk mechanic was okay at first, but I really liked how it was used in the last episode, so I appreciated the buildup to that.

But yes, story is king in this game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story (as I previously declared).

Ah, fair enough. They keep mentioning a "Few days" in episode 3, so I just assumed 3-5, which seems way too fast, even if the original was 5 days too. I could buy Chloe and Max reconciling over 5 days, rather than a completely new relationship, but that might just be me. The story was pretty decent though.
  • razor63 said:

LoopyChew said:

Ah, fair enough. They keep mentioning a "Few days" in episode 3, so I just assumed 3-5, which seems way too fast, even if the original was 5 days too. I could buy Chloe and Max reconciling over 5 days, rather than a completely new relationship, but that might just be me. The story was pretty decent though.
    It's not like she didn't know who Rachel was before the story, it's just that the Firewalk concert that starts the game made her an immediately accessible person. Given that the original LiS established that Rachel was generally well-respected around the school by students and faculty alike, and the fact that Chloe has abandonment issues (as established in-game), and that they're teenagers, I don't think it's the least realistic thing to happen in the game.

Also, I got something in my ending that apparently YouTubers created walkthroughs for. Kinda surprised by that.
  • LoopyChew said:

razor63 said:

LoopyChew said:

It's not like she didn't know who Rachel was before the story, it's just that the Firewalk concert that starts the game made her an immediately accessible person. Given that the original LiS established that Rachel was generally well-respected around the school by students and faculty alike, and the fact that Chloe has abandonment issues (as established in-game), and that they're teenagers, I don't think it's the least realistic thing to happen in the game.

Also, I got something in my ending that apparently YouTubers created walkthroughs for. Kinda surprised by that.
    Ah, that's fair. I didn't think about it like that. Assuming I know what you're referring to with the end point, if it's during the ending montage, the game stats say that only 1 in 10 got that particular event.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2017
    I played Doki Doki Literature Club yesterday. TAKE ITS WARNINGS SERIOUSLY. THAT ISH CRAY.

Also it's a fantastic experience and I sprang for the "fan pack" when I was done.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    LoopyChew said:

I played Doki Doki Literature Club yesterday. TAKE ITS WARNINGS SERIOUSLY. THAT ISH CRAY.

Also it's a fantastic experience and I sprang for the "fan pack" when I was done.

All I know about it is that it's not what it seems but it's .... interesting. Maybe awesome? Maybe crazy? Maybe disturbing? Maybe ridiculous, but still worth experiencing? I don't know, exactly, and I don't want to know!

I hope to play it sometime soon, maybe this weekend ... I have a big queue of Games To Try but that one is pretty high on the list.
    It's fairly short, six hours tops for standard ending, and you'll want to go through without a walkthrough the first time around. If you want golden ending you'll probably be going another three or four.

Hint: there will be one section that involves a LOT of stuff in the text box, but you can use the "skip" button to fast-forward through it even if you haven't read it before. Even then it'll take some time to get through.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    It's been a little while. Let's review a couple of games I was playing last year and had a little time to reflect.

Hotline Miami:
    A while back I rage quit this game, because its frustrating... I set a personal goal to come back and finish this eventually. That day finally came and I came to enjoy it, to the point it became easy. Crazy violent with a beyond fantastic soundtrack. Holy hell, these guys did a great job of creating a style that works with the world. The things people can do with pixel art nowadays is mind blowing. This is a must play if you want to hate yourself, but rock out doing it.

Horizon: Zero Dawn:
    This game blew my mind. It's a crazy realized world with a huge diversity of insane creatures to figure out how to take down. It's beautiful, its confident, diverse, frustratingly difficult sometimes, but it left a lasting impression on me where I'd think about it after I was done playing. The gameplay does however dull down, it plays well, but the melee combat leaves much to be desired later. Biggest complaint is I also played the DLC, which annoyed me for having the exact same problem as the main game. Why would you write the same "something is corrupting the machines" story twice!? However the environments were spectacular and in the next game these small sins can be easily absolved. Absolutely astounding for a first game in the series and I'm curious as to what could come next, definitely an original IP to watch out for.

Bioshock PS4:
    10 years ago one of my favorite games of all time came out and on its anniversary, a PS4 remaster came out. This game still freaking rocks!!! Aside from some weird control issues (that can be remapped because the future is fantastic) and the damn pipe minigame, this is a true classic. For reference, this game was released the same year as Witcher 1 and Mass Effect 1 and still holds up with very few changes. The art deco architecture in an underwater dystopia is truly a unique experience. The plasmid system and morality are insanely customizable. Biggest gripes are certain powers are way too specific for certain situations. The respawn tank is still confusing. Seriously how do I respawn just fine while every enemy I encounter could hypothetically be just fine as well? None of that makes a damn bit of sense. But glaring plot holes aside, the great audio propels this into a narrative classic.

Witcher 2
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Hitman
    ME3
    ME2
    Alpha Sapphire
    *Bioshock
    *Hotline Miami
    FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    Day of the Tentacle
    Stardew Valley
    ME Andromeda
    Shadow of Mordor
    Poké Moon
    Killing Floor 2
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
    Monkey Island 2
    Slime Rancher
    Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    Dangerous Golf
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    ME1
    Birthdays the Beginning
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    HM: A Wonderful Life
    Adrift
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I play a crap-load of FIFA17, but I didn't even realize that it had "The Journey" in it. So it's like a whole new game to me. :) I liked the story mode a lot. Alex Hunter, mate!
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    i was going to pick up the new monster hunter, but it had a dealbreaker that prevented me from getting it. you can't pause it due it being in an online world.
    edited January 30
    So my not-quite-brother-in-law (this guy is involved with my brother's fiancée's sister, which is about one step above him being my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate in terms of relationships) developed a game called BIT RAT: Singularity, which is a prelude to a game still in the works. It's a puzzle game modeled after early 8- and 16-bit computer games. I've had a bit of fun with it and you can probably finish the story in a couple of hours, which given that it's like $2 is pretty good.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP

i was going to pick up the new monster hunter, but it had a dealbreaker that prevented me from getting it. you can't pause it due it being in an online world.

And yet my mom never understood why I couldn’t pause Counter Strike, lol.
  • I recently picked up a copy of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, and I'm quite pleased to say that of what I've played so far, it's rather entertaining! The shooting's satisfying, the driving's fun (if a bit slippery at times), the little things you can do with your gadgets and tools are awesome, and hot dang, the open world's phenomenal. The sheer variety packed into it and all the things you can do in it are appropriately bodacious. I'd describe it as sort of a more action-focused Metal Gear Solid V, so if you liked that, you'll probably get quite a bit of enjoyment from Wildlands.

I will say, the story's a bit sillier than I expected it to be, but I still found myself invested in the threads of story that I've come across thus far. Definitely not a story-focused game though, the focus certainly is on the gameplay, and it does that job really well.

I recommend it! As I progress further in the campaign, I'll come back and add more to this should any of my opinions change or if I have something new to add.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    If youre looking for anything close to the old ghost recons though. Definitely dont get it.

Just a warning
  • edited January 31
    I've just played Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT last night.

I have to say that I've enjoyed it a lot (Probably better than the original Dissidia). I liked the fact that battles are 3 vs. 3, instead of 1 vs. 1, which makes it not only a exciting challenge, but also a good one. And also, the Core Battles, which is a new battle type, is an interesting concept that wasn't in the original Dissidia.

That, and I'm also glad that the game is giving some Final Fantasy side-game protagonists (Ramza from Final Fantasy Tactics, and Ace from Final Fantasy Type-0) a chance to participate in battles alongside the main games protagonists and antagonists. :)