What were the last video games you played?

Comments

• Hockey videogames have always been best when they've been 3-on-3. I still maintain that the first two games of the "NHL Hitz" series was the most fun hockey game series ever (and then they went and spoiled it all by doing something stupid like going 5-on-5), and I keep on going back to "3 on 3 NHL Arcade" on my PS3 for quick fixes of hockey videogaming.

Oh. I was expecting it to be more like Threes! mode and I was wondering how that would work.
    razor63 said:

After playing a bunch of interactive novels this week, I finally got in the mood for Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Can't say I was invested as I was in the original, but it's still (probably) in my top 5 games for the year, based on the few other entries I have on that list. It was still enjoyable, and the backtalk feature was interesting at least, but I have issues with the pacing (considering I'm supposed to buy that it takes place in like, 5 days) and Chloe/Rachel is not as interesting a dichotomy to me as Chloe/Max, although the game did add some weight to the original for reasons I won't mention. 8/10, I guess.

I'm pretty sure it's only supposed to take place over three days, even (epilogue excepted, and I suppose the prologue takes place the evening before Day 1); like the original Life is Strange, each episode is roughly one day.

I thought the Backtalk mechanic was okay at first, but I really liked how it was used in the last episode, so I appreciated the buildup to that.

But yes, story is king in this game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story (as I previously declared).
  • LoopyChew said:

I'm pretty sure it's only supposed to take place over three days, even (epilogue excepted, and I suppose the prologue takes place the evening before Day 1); like the original Life is Strange, each episode is roughly one day.

I thought the Backtalk mechanic was okay at first, but I really liked how it was used in the last episode, so I appreciated the buildup to that.

But yes, story is king in this game, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story (as I previously declared).

Ah, fair enough. They keep mentioning a "Few days" in episode 3, so I just assumed 3-5, which seems way too fast, even if the original was 5 days too. I could buy Chloe and Max reconciling over 5 days, rather than a completely new relationship, but that might just be me. The story was pretty decent though.
  • razor63 said:

LoopyChew said:

Ah, fair enough. They keep mentioning a "Few days" in episode 3, so I just assumed 3-5, which seems way too fast, even if the original was 5 days too. I could buy Chloe and Max reconciling over 5 days, rather than a completely new relationship, but that might just be me. The story was pretty decent though.
    It's not like she didn't know who Rachel was before the story, it's just that the Firewalk concert that starts the game made her an immediately accessible person. Given that the original LiS established that Rachel was generally well-respected around the school by students and faculty alike, and the fact that Chloe has abandonment issues (as established in-game), and that they're teenagers, I don't think it's the least realistic thing to happen in the game.

Also, I got something in my ending that apparently YouTubers created walkthroughs for. Kinda surprised by that.
  • LoopyChew said:

razor63 said:

LoopyChew said:

It's not like she didn't know who Rachel was before the story, it's just that the Firewalk concert that starts the game made her an immediately accessible person. Given that the original LiS established that Rachel was generally well-respected around the school by students and faculty alike, and the fact that Chloe has abandonment issues (as established in-game), and that they're teenagers, I don't think it's the least realistic thing to happen in the game.

Also, I got something in my ending that apparently YouTubers created walkthroughs for. Kinda surprised by that.
    Ah, that's fair. I didn't think about it like that. Assuming I know what you're referring to with the end point, if it's during the ending montage, the game stats say that only 1 in 10 got that particular event.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2017
    I played Doki Doki Literature Club yesterday. TAKE ITS WARNINGS SERIOUSLY. THAT ISH CRAY.

Also it's a fantastic experience and I sprang for the "fan pack" when I was done.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    LoopyChew said:

I played Doki Doki Literature Club yesterday. TAKE ITS WARNINGS SERIOUSLY. THAT ISH CRAY.

Also it's a fantastic experience and I sprang for the "fan pack" when I was done.

All I know about it is that it's not what it seems but it's .... interesting. Maybe awesome? Maybe crazy? Maybe disturbing? Maybe ridiculous, but still worth experiencing? I don't know, exactly, and I don't want to know!

I hope to play it sometime soon, maybe this weekend ... I have a big queue of Games To Try but that one is pretty high on the list.
    It's fairly short, six hours tops for standard ending, and you'll want to go through without a walkthrough the first time around. If you want golden ending you'll probably be going another three or four.

Hint: there will be one section that involves a LOT of stuff in the text box, but you can use the "skip" button to fast-forward through it even if you haven't read it before. Even then it'll take some time to get through.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    It's been a little while. Let's review a couple of games I was playing last year and had a little time to reflect.

Hotline Miami:
    A while back I rage quit this game, because its frustrating... I set a personal goal to come back and finish this eventually. That day finally came and I came to enjoy it, to the point it became easy. Crazy violent with a beyond fantastic soundtrack. Holy hell, these guys did a great job of creating a style that works with the world. The things people can do with pixel art nowadays is mind blowing. This is a must play if you want to hate yourself, but rock out doing it.

Horizon: Zero Dawn:
    This game blew my mind. It's a crazy realized world with a huge diversity of insane creatures to figure out how to take down. It's beautiful, its confident, diverse, frustratingly difficult sometimes, but it left a lasting impression on me where I'd think about it after I was done playing. The gameplay does however dull down, it plays well, but the melee combat leaves much to be desired later. Biggest complaint is I also played the DLC, which annoyed me for having the exact same problem as the main game. Why would you write the same "something is corrupting the machines" story twice!? However the environments were spectacular and in the next game these small sins can be easily absolved. Absolutely astounding for a first game in the series and I'm curious as to what could come next, definitely an original IP to watch out for.

Bioshock PS4:
    10 years ago one of my favorite games of all time came out and on its anniversary, a PS4 remaster came out. This game still freaking rocks!!! Aside from some weird control issues (that can be remapped because the future is fantastic) and the damn pipe minigame, this is a true classic. For reference, this game was released the same year as Witcher 1 and Mass Effect 1 and still holds up with very few changes. The art deco architecture in an underwater dystopia is truly a unique experience. The plasmid system and morality are insanely customizable. Biggest gripes are certain powers are way too specific for certain situations. The respawn tank is still confusing. Seriously how do I respawn just fine while every enemy I encounter could hypothetically be just fine as well? None of that makes a damn bit of sense. But glaring plot holes aside, the great audio propels this into a narrative classic.

Witcher 2
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Hitman
    ME3
    ME2
    Alpha Sapphire
    *Bioshock
    *Hotline Miami
    FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    Day of the Tentacle
    Stardew Valley
    ME Andromeda
    Shadow of Mordor
    Poké Moon
    Killing Floor 2
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
    Monkey Island 2
    Slime Rancher
    Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    Dangerous Golf
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    ME1
    Birthdays the Beginning
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    HM: A Wonderful Life
    Adrift
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I play a crap-load of FIFA17, but I didn't even realize that it had "The Journey" in it. So it's like a whole new game to me. :) I liked the story mode a lot. Alex Hunter, mate!
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    i was going to pick up the new monster hunter, but it had a dealbreaker that prevented me from getting it. you can't pause it due it being in an online world.
    edited January 30
    So my not-quite-brother-in-law (this guy is involved with my brother's fiancée's sister, which is about one step above him being my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate in terms of relationships) developed a game called BIT RAT: Singularity, which is a prelude to a game still in the works. It's a puzzle game modeled after early 8- and 16-bit computer games. I've had a bit of fun with it and you can probably finish the story in a couple of hours, which given that it's like $2 is pretty good.

i was going to pick up the new monster hunter, but it had a dealbreaker that prevented me from getting it. you can't pause it due it being in an online world.

And yet my mom never understood why I couldn’t pause Counter Strike, lol.
  • I recently picked up a copy of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, and I'm quite pleased to say that of what I've played so far, it's rather entertaining! The shooting's satisfying, the driving's fun (if a bit slippery at times), the little things you can do with your gadgets and tools are awesome, and hot dang, the open world's phenomenal. The sheer variety packed into it and all the things you can do in it are appropriately bodacious. I'd describe it as sort of a more action-focused Metal Gear Solid V, so if you liked that, you'll probably get quite a bit of enjoyment from Wildlands.

I will say, the story's a bit sillier than I expected it to be, but I still found myself invested in the threads of story that I've come across thus far. Definitely not a story-focused game though, the focus certainly is on the gameplay, and it does that job really well.

I recommend it! As I progress further in the campaign, I'll come back and add more to this should any of my opinions change or if I have something new to add.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    If youre looking for anything close to the old ghost recons though. Definitely dont get it.

Just a warning
  • edited January 31
    I've just played Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT last night.

I have to say that I've enjoyed it a lot (Probably better than the original Dissidia). I liked the fact that battles are 3 vs. 3, instead of 1 vs. 1, which makes it not only a exciting challenge, but also a good one. And also, the Core Battles, which is a new battle type, is an interesting concept that wasn't in the original Dissidia.

That, and I'm also glad that the game is giving some Final Fantasy side-game protagonists (Ramza from Final Fantasy Tactics, and Ace from Final Fantasy Type-0) a chance to participate in battles alongside the main games protagonists and antagonists. :)
    anyone excited for soul calibur 6? been watching the different character trailers when they announce them and I'm trying to get my skill back by playing previous installments.
  • Didn't realize they even had a Soul Calibur 5. I may have to see the trailers for SC6.

Been playing a lot of Middle Earth: Shadow of War.
    I rented Monster Hunter World for 3 days and I was surprised how much I loved it. Full review will come later. I've read that it at some point new monsters get introduced and suddenly the game gets impossibly hard, and everything up until that point turns out to be a tutorial for this new Impossible mode. But I really like the "tutorial"! I found myself wandering through the canopy of the forest, collecting all sorts of tiny insects, just listening to the sounds and watching the light change as the sun went down. It's beautiful, even on my cruddy TV.

And then there's the monster hunting itself, which I find thrilling. I seemed unable to master the art of "capture, don't kill". I repeatedly failed because I misjudged just how injured the critter was. "She's ready to go down, I'll throw some paralysis bombs!". Nope. Now I'm out of bombs, and I can't make more, and I can't make traps. Mission failed.

Once I followed the monster back to its nest, and it was moaning, and bubbles were coming out of its mouth. It was SO pathetic, so sad. Damn. The beast couldn't even keep its eyes open, but I had no way to "capture" it. Mission failed.

"This critter needs to get damaged far more than it already is before I throw any of those paralysis bombs!". I unleash a flurry of missiles. The monster dies. Mission failed.

Oh, apparently there's an indicator that shows the heartbeat of the critter, that allows you to judge just how close to death it might be? I read about this feature AFTER I returned the game. Oops.

The part where Cat chefs cook up a meal of pre-mission buffs for you, that cut scene makes me smile, every time. Would I eventually get tired of it? Probably! But not for a while.

They have limited-time challenges that let you unlock special outfits. Right now, there's one that will let you kit out as Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn). That's the whole reason I rented the game in the first place, I was hoping to complete the original challenge, it unlocked an outfit for my Palico [your pal, the calico cat that joins you on missions] that would show I was an early adopter. Alas, I didn't get far enough in the game to qualify for that challenge.

tl;dr I really liked what I saw. Parts of it, I genuinely loved, even though I wouldn't have thought it was my kind of game. I really hope I am able to keep playing just the early "easy" part of the game for a long time. I will definitely be buying the game when it goes on sale. Even though I really shouldn't be buying any new games at all [see next post].
    edited March 1
    Oops, I accidentally overwrote the post I had in my clipboard. That was sloppy.

Short version: I bought a version of Horizon Zero Dawn, then totally forgot about it. The version I bought is no longer in the store, and maybe that's why it seems willing to sell me the current version (The Complete Edition) all over again. Not cool! Generally the PSN Store goes too far the other way, and is over-protective about not letting you buy a bundle if you already own one of the elements [i.e., a Rock Band full album, when you already bought one single from it].

Has anyone else seen this? If you already own any version of Horizon Zero Dawn that isn't The Complete Edition: be careful. OH, and because I bought this game and didn't even remember doing so, I really shouldn't be buying any more new games for a long time. That's just sloppy / lame.

EXCEPT I bought Assassin's Creed Origins. For my wife! She used the new Discover Mode last night. It lets you take guided tours of ancient Egypt, and you don't have to worry about people attacking you, or bugging you to help them (trying to initiate a side mission). She did a few of the tours in Alexandria, and I suggested that she tour the pyramids next, and it blew her mind that there was so much more to explore! She was already impressed by having "just" Alexandria as the full game.

She's an archeologist, and one of her friends is an expert in Egypt who lives there now. Maybe her friend contributed to the game? I did research ... and found that, yes, her name does come up when I search for it in connection to the game. It's an article where the experts take issue with how Cleopatra is portrayed in the game. Whoops! So maybe my wife won't be talking to her friend about the game after all.
    edited March 1
    I own Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational and Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (both for PS3). I got a pop-up message on my PS4 the other day that noted that support for these was shutting down soon (actually it looks like the online servers were shut down last year for one, and in 2013 for the other), but to commemorate the 1 year anniversary of the new one (Everybody's Golf for PS4) they were releasing some sort of small throwback DLC, for free.

Press X to claim!
    I pressed X, and my PS4 spent minutes trying to connect to "something", and I eventually just gave up.

I couldn't find this message listed in the usual places ("notifications"), so I can't try again. Did anyone else see this? Where do "pop-ups" get stored, if anywhere?
    Is the bonus just for people that owned the original game(s), like me? Or for everyone?
    Any ideas how to claim this item, once the original pop-up message disappears?

OH maybe the problem is, I don't own the new game [YET]! But I'm still curious as to what this was, and who else got it, and if I can have the offer appear again (maybe by renting the newest game).
    Anyone try Into the Breach yet? I bought it but haven't had the time to check it out.
  • I rented Monster Hunter World for 3 days and I was surprised how much I loved it. Full review will come later. I've read that it at some point new monsters get introduced and suddenly the game gets impossibly hard, and everything up until that point turns out to be a tutorial for this new Impossible mode. But I really like the "tutorial"! I found myself wandering through the canopy of the forest, collecting all sorts of tiny insects, just listening to the sounds and watching the light change as the sun went down. It's beautiful, even on my cruddy TV.

And then there's the monster hunting itself, which I find thrilling. I seemed unable to master the art of "capture, don't kill". I repeatedly failed because I misjudged just how injured the critter was. "She's ready to go down, I'll throw some paralysis bombs!". Nope. Now I'm out of bombs, and I can't make more, and I can't make traps. Mission failed.

Once I followed the monster back to its nest, and it was moaning, and bubbles were coming out of its mouth. It was SO pathetic, so sad. Damn. The beast couldn't even keep its eyes open, but I had no way to "capture" it. Mission failed.

"This critter needs to get damaged far more than it already is before I throw any of those paralysis bombs!". I unleash a flurry of missiles. The monster dies. Mission failed.

Oh, apparently there's an indicator that shows the heartbeat of the critter, that allows you to judge just how close to death it might be? I read about this feature AFTER I returned the game. Oops.

The part where Cat chefs cook up a meal of pre-mission buffs for you, that cut scene makes me smile, every time. Would I eventually get tired of it? Probably! But not for a while.

They have limited-time challenges that let you unlock special outfits. Right now, there's one that will let you kit out as Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn). That's the whole reason I rented the game in the first place, I was hoping to complete the original challenge, it unlocked an outfit for my Palico [your pal, the calico cat that joins you on missions] that would show I was an early adopter. Alas, I didn't get far enough in the game to qualify for that challenge.

tl;dr I really liked what I saw. Parts of it, I genuinely loved, even though I wouldn't have thought it was my kind of game. I really hope I am able to keep playing just the early "easy" part of the game for a long time. I will definitely be buying the game when it goes on sale. Even though I really shouldn't be buying any new games at all [see next post].

It is a really fun game, especially with a coop friend! :) (Some missions require you to get to a certain point before they can join though [usually up to a cutscene... it works very strange])
    I'd almost give it a 10/10.
    edited March 5
    I've played a lot of Nier (PS3) over the past few weeks. I've been "meaning to get to it" for months, but I was avoiding it for fear of being forced to play for 90 minutes longer than I wanted to, because of limited save spots. Old games / long games tend to work that way. And that's exactly how I got screwed last night! I'd already been playing all day and hadn't been able to save in a while and reached a big puzzle room and eventually just said, "screw it". I may never play again.

But I think I got a good taste of the game over the 8-11 hours of game time that I put into it. The graphics are pretty bad (even for PS3) but I rolled with it: I've seen worse. I mean, I'm old. The voice work really grew on me. The story is kinda ridiculous at times but it seems that the game is fully aware of this. It doesn't completely break the 4th wall, the characters don't comment that they know they are in a video game, but the very cynical Weiss is especially aware that certain situations are a bit predictable. The female fighter we run into, of course her outfit is COMPLETLY ridiculous for combat, and it doesn't actually make that choice more appropriate just because the game (through Weiss) comments directly on that fact.

The combat controls are bad, I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong to have my inventory pop up while I'm just trying to move around and avoid getting hit, but no, it really seems to be unavoidable. But it's not primarily a combat game, at least not the way I play it, I'm mostly interested in doing errands. Collecting raw materials. Fetching stuff on side missions. I was finally able to start a garden, hours after getting seeds and being told to start one, it turns out I need to complete one specific fetch mission to have access to the plot in my yard. Fishing could be fun in theory but it really seems broken to me: I actually had to look up online what I was supposed to do, which I never ever do. But in this case, I'm glad I did, it could have taken HOURS just to figure out when I'm supposed to start reeling in (it differs by location), and it might have taken literally forever to figure out on my own what bait to use in which locations.

I think I've only gotten the barest hint (from the seemingly unrelated start of the game, and from what I've seen in the game progression so far, and from accidentally reading minor spoilers online) as to what the bigger picture of the game is. Apparently not as straight-forward as it originally appears ["thousands of years in the future, civilization is mostly gone, and a terrible disease is popping up, and oh yeah lots of places have a monster problem"]. Maybe someday I'll go back to the game? And then, after I realize I lost a HUGE amount of gameplay time from not having a save point, I might just give up and spoil it all by reading details in the Wiki.

tl;dr the original Nier is too ugly and slow to recommend to anyone in 2018, but I understand the appeal of the style and look forward to playing a well-made game that comes from the same universe. As I understand it, NieR:Automata isn't a direct sequel, I'm not even sure how many of the same writers / designers are involved: maybe I didn't "need" to play the prequel first, but I'm glad I tried it.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I played and finished Bastion today, after picking it and Transistor up on sale on PSN after playing the pretty good Pyre a few weeks back. Bastion is the kind of game which usually isn't my kind of thing, and well, it wasn't my kinda thing. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was just about good, I just found it to not be amazing, which seems to be against the general consensus on that one. However, unlike Pyre, Bastion didn't really hook me on the narrative nor the characters. which considering it certainly doesn't sell itself on the gameplay, is all that's left. Bastion does have merit in its presentation, with fitting music and visuals, but it really just ain't my kinda thing.
    edited March 8
    Yeah both Nier games don't really pay off till the very end unfortunately. Mostly because it's based more on how well the characters really grow on each other (and you), and that it's about the idea behind the story rather than the actual story itself.

As for how much you have to play the original for the 2nd one, it's perfectly playable without any of it, but there's also plenty of references to the original.
    A certain character actually does appear in both games, and that character's specific sidequests really play on the original, but again not really required to get the idea behind it.
    Personally i'd recommend not going straight into the 2nd one right after the first one just so you get hit by those memories a bit harder. But that's totally up to yourself

Also slight fun fact, in the japanese version of Nier the the main character has a brother/sister story rather than the father/daughter one. Confused the heck out of me when i grabbed a walkthrough to find some of the more hidden stuff in the game and the person that made it had played the JP version
    Bleh i really wanna talk about those games more but it's so hard to without spoiling things
    I finished “Her Majesty Spiffing” I really wanted to like this game for being a funny point and click adventure game, but the length is offensively short. Like its supposed to be episodic, but came out years ago. Maybe I’m having PTSD from Half Life Episode 2, because damn, do I hate video game cliffhangers.

Its about maybe 2 hours of gameplay with some really easy puzzles. It’s a failure if you love old school point and clicks. Do not recommend unless you find it for maybe under 5 bucks.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Nearly beat Necrodancer for real, but Aria is *hard*
  • Just preordered Far Cry 5. Will be playing it coop with a friend. Very excited to see what’s in store !
    so my thoughts on the tomb raider teaser, the entire thing was the opening sequence of the game but not in order. I believe the game will have Lara time travel 500 years in the past and the entire game will take place in that time period. itll be the first tomb raider you play without guns in it.

I'm sure I'm way off but if I'm right ill laugh my butt off.