NFL / College Football Seasons

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I turned it off at 17-0 Vikings, when I believe Brees was sporting a 0.0 QB rating. Figured it was a good time for other things.

On a whim I checked the score on my phone when I thought the game would be over. Saw it was 21-20 Saints with about 3 minutes left to play. Watched the rest.

• wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    I really don't like the patriots, so go jaguars go
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited January 22
    Super Bowl is set and it's a rematch of one of the most boring Super Bowls I had the displeasure of watching. That game's highlight was Donovan McNabb throwing up. That being said, this upcoming Super Bowl feels like anything but and I can't picture myself watching it.

Also, not sure if this falls into conspiracy theory territory but could the Patriots always being good be contributing to the declining NFL Ratings just a little bit (I mean in addition to concussions, changing ways people watch shows/sporting events, and people's opinions of anthem protests).
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    I am super excited to see the Eagles back in the Super Bowl and hoping they get their 1st SB win and “revenge” for the 2005 McNabb fiasco against the Patriots. ...Although I don’t remember that game being boring... seemed pretty competitive throughout.

Being from Austin, also happy for Nick Foles to be on top of his game at the moment - although I would definitely have preferred Carson Wentz to still be playing. It’ll be interesting to see where Nick ends up next season.

Anyway, Fly, Eagles Fly!
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    I am extremely tired of seeing the Patriots in the Superbowl. I mean, good for them for being consistently good and all but.... not interested.

Too bad my wife is hardcore Eagles fan, so she is elated about her team going! better than the Steelers, I guess
  • I am extremely tired of seeing the Patriots in the Superbowl. I mean, good for them for being consistently good and all but.... not interested.

Too bad my wife is hardcore Eagles fan, so she is elated about her team going! better than the Steelers, I guess

Yes i'm very happy to not see the Steelers in it. Geesh...Can you imagine Steelers vs Patriots? Not sure it could get any worse than that LOL
    I'm not going to watch the super bowl for the first time in 25 years.

on a positive note, the cardinals finally hired a new head coach, and seeing how he is a defensive coach I predict fitz will announce his retirement sometime this week.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

Also, not sure if this falls into conspiracy theory territory but could the Patriots always being good be contributing to the declining NFL Ratings just a little bit (I mean in addition to concussions, changing ways people watch shows/sporting events, and people's opinions of anthem protests).

I'm sure lower ratings for a Super Bowl between two teams that are 300 miles apart from one little corner of the country will be blamed on national anthem protests by Dolt45. A regional game between Institutional Cheaters and Fans Who Hate Santa Claus will have nothing to do with the ratings dip!
    so, not sure if you guys have seen the video on youtube, but apparently someone posted a video of the nfl admitting to rigging their games a couple days ago. a lot of people responded to it thinking it was real, but I have also read articles saying its not true and is part of the whole fake news thing.

in this world is it very hard to find the truth. I truly feel for the next generation.
    I haven’t seen it, but something like that I’m sure would make major waves on all major news channels only after it was confirmed to be authentic.
  • Getting your news from Youtube has never been the smart route... People have been doing those kind of videos for years now. (mostly with celebrities in the past)
    edited January 27

I vote nay. In fact I think the Patriots’ presence here is saving this super bowl from disaster. Outside the hardcore and fantasy type, people really want to see, first and foremost, ‘big name’ quarterbacks in the big games - whether they love them or hate them they want to see the players they know. They don’t want to tune in for Bortles vs Keenum. They want Brady versus someone like Roethlisburger or Wilson every bit as much as they wanted Favre/Manning or Aikman/Elway or Montana/Marino.

The Wentz injury was really unfortunate, because the NFL really needs to establish the next generation of star QBs in the general public headspace, and to get there they need to be seen in the big games.

Getting your news from Youtube has never been the smart route... People have been doing those kind of videos for years now. (mostly with celebrities in the past)

I don't get my news from youtube, the way I found out about this was nbc news had a segment about the video, and showed the part with goodell talking, this is why things are getting so bad from a news perspective

• I'm sure lower ratings for a Super Bowl between two teams that are 300 miles apart from one little corner of the country will be blamed on national anthem protests by Dolt45. A regional game between Institutional Cheaters and Fans Who Hate Santa Claus will have nothing to do with the ratings dip!

I don't actually expect the Super Bowl Ratings to dip much and if they did I think that streaming games is the biggest factor for these changes like how streaming shows is the biggest factor for shows having lower ratings. There isn't a proper measure for streaming the same way there has been for Broadcast/Cable TV for decades.

I vote nay. In fact I think the Patriots’ presence here is saving this super bowl from disaster. Outside the hardcore and fantasy type, people really want to see, first and foremost, ‘big name’ quarterbacks in the big games - whether they love them or hate them they want to see the players they know. They don’t want to tune in for Bortles vs Keenum. They want Brady versus someone like Roethlisburger or Wilson every bit as much as they wanted Favre/Manning or Aikman/Elway or Montana/Marino.

The Wentz injury was really unfortunate, because the NFL really needs to establish the next generation of star QBs in the general public headspace, and to get there they need to be seen in the big games.

A lot of people that don't follow football definitely love the big name quarterbacks being in the Super Bowl since it makes it a little easier to watch and know who is doing what. That doesn't necessarily mean that that equals the best Super Bowl Match-ups. Then again between the commercials and the Halftime show having Justin Timberlake performing they had something to gravitate towards even if it was a Eagles-Jaguars Super Bowl.

Perhaps it's just my being really tired of seeing the Patriots always in the Super Bowl and always winning it when they don't play some goofy looking guy named Eli and people find out that they were cheating when winning that makes it less appealing for myself to watch it. This was one of the things that made watching the NBA really boring when I used to follow that league prior to 2008. I will say that although I expect the Patriots to win again and the game to be very predictable (either Tom Brady will lead the Patriots from behind to win or The Patriots will have the game on cruise control by the middle of the 3rd quarter); at least they're not playing the Falcons again this year.
    edited February 2
    well I can tell you why i'm not watching it, cause the patriots are in it yet again. it doesn't help when you have pre-written mvp speeches get leaked onto the internet days before the game even happens either.

edit: just saw this pop up in my feed and thought it was quite interesting
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/poll-16-nfl-fans-say-wont-watch-super-bowl-204026174.html
    I'm probably going to watch, but being on the West Coast means pretty much any even vaguely intriguing sounding offer will easily pull me away to go do something else. I just don't care about this game and I don't like either team. Plus the SB commercials haven't even been any good the last buncha years.
  • well I can tell you why i'm not watching it, cause the patriots are in it yet again. it doesn't help when you have pre-written mvp speeches get leaked onto the internet days before the game even happens either.

edit: just saw this pop up in my feed and thought it was quite interesting
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/poll-16-nfl-fans-say-wont-watch-super-bowl-204026174.html

I mean it's to be expected that less will watch, but surveying 706 people is not much. LOL
    Never understood studies that think that only 2,000 people will be the voice for the entire world or the diagnoses (in scientific studies) lol.
    Since I’m the only person that will be watching this year, I feel somewhat obligated to post in here the results, even if no one cares. I’ll be sure to put it in a spoiler tag so you can ignore it easily if not interested.
    edited February 5
    Just reporting in from the snoozefest. Borrrrrring!

Yeah... be happy you’re not watching... even if you were you’d be asleep by now.

Second half was even more boring than the first. Final score:

Phi: 41 NE: 33

Fly, Eagles, Fly.
    That was a great game, made even greater by the Pats not winning.
  • I caught snippets of the game (I was at work and saw it on TVs in the hall)
    Did seem somewhat boring.. but I'm not big into sports. Even the halftime show was just "okay" (better than the last few though to be honest)
    i am glad the eagles won, I was at work when I would hear people cheering, for the longest time I was wondering if they were eagles fan or patriots fans. (hard to work when you hear people cheering all the time lol). when the game was over the said the eagles won over the intercom.

on a side note, when I got home I watched all the superbowl commercials. not sure if its just me, but they seem to be getting worse with time. there were maybe 3 or 4 that I enjoyed, the rest were just a waste money.

my favorite was the Anheuser-Busch water commercial, my least favorite was the tide series of commercials.
  • I'm glad that I was wrong with the prediction of the Super Bowl and am happy with the outcome. I wish the Seahawks were able to do this to Tom Brady years ago instead of ending that one with the worst executed goal line pass play in Super Bowl history.

I however don't understand the Eagles fan that ate horse feces when celebrating his team's win but then again that is the fan base that had a courtroom and jail in their old stadium due to the lunacy of their fans (as well as all of those fights caused by said lunacy).

Also, man was the fiasco between the Colts and Josh McDaniels cold.
    so, now that the offseason has begun does anyone think goroppolo is worth 137 million? I personally dont
    edited February 10
    There’s very little actual logic behind the qb salary structure in the nfl. Last season the top 7 salaried qbs were Stafford, Carr, Luck, Palmer, Brees, Cousins, Flacco. That those were top 7, and the last 4 mvps (Brady Ryan Newton Rodgers) were all outside the top 7 salaried, is a sure sign the qb salary system is not a meritocracy.