Stems....

Comments

• tdc002 said:

uppyb0t said:

HMXOwl said:

tdc002 said:

It's also worth noting that some of the Stems Purists out there have been keeping list of all the "DIY Stems" songs, but not all of these songs are as bad as others.

To say nothing of the songs they've got wrong or missed...
    I actually have been noticing more pre-RB4 non-full stem songs than I expected.

They’ve been around along with the obvious mentioned tracks. I was going to make a list, but I can’t remember the songs anymore, but there are more.
    Which is why people complaining about DIY Stems is pointless! There are songs ON DISC in Rock Band 1 that don't have entirely separated stems.

The complaints really started maybe like 3-6 months after the RB4 launch, where some posters were trying to act like RB4 DLC was somehow shoddier and cheaper compared to the last generation. That's when people first started talking about DIY stems. There were seriously posters on here saying Harmonix should charge $1 for songs with DIY stems instead of $2, or release some kind of disclaimer in the song description.

It seems to me that Harmonix is just less picky about needing fully separated stems; or to put it another way, they're not letting lack of pristine, separated stems keep them from licensing a popular song that's going to sell.

At the end of the day, at least Harmonix is still trying. All of the songs in Guitar Hero Live don't use any stems. If you miss a note, the song just keeps playing. THAT is a lack of immersion.
    I think the large amount of modern pop DLC during December 2015 - April 2016 may have been a factor. If say you only buy around 3 songs in a month because the rest is modern pop, something as minor as a few songs not having fully separated stems may become more noticeable. But as the complaining started, sadly the complaining probably won't end until DLC ends.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    i think I actually had my first experience with a DIY stem. I was playing black betty on guitar and I missed the last note in the trill lane, the next set of lyrics sounded like the singer was underwater.
  • jakeellis01jakeellis01 Opening Act
    edited February 3
    Dreams by The Cranberries was my first ever 'wtf stem suspicion' which was quite recent, it sounded awful on every missed note, and I was playing with a local full band which were n00bs.

My brain is now playing OCD and is always on alert about this for every song I play after that incident.

*Glass Shattered*

Guess I have to live with it. I'm quite jealous for players who don't know what this is.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

i think I actually had my first experience with a DIY stem. I was playing black betty on guitar and I missed the last note in the trill lane, the next set of lyrics sounded like the singer was underwater.

Yeah, Black Betty's particularly noticeable. It's not terribly surprising though, given that the master recordings are 40 years old. I'm guessing guitar and vocals are on the same track?
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I feel as though DIY stems wouldn't be so notice if the whammy bar didn't effect the song like in The Beatles. Though then I guess if every song without stems couldn't produce a whammy noise then someone would get upset? Not sure what the consensus is on that
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    Fun fact: I Can See for Miles has "DIY Stems", but they charted around them!

The lead guitar during the chorus (bendy notes) are on the drum track (or vocal track?), and the guitar part drops out when the drummer (vocalist?) messes up/fails. However, the guitar chart is fine -- the player plays the rhythm guitar, which is on a separate track!
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    GLaDOS said:

I feel as though DIY stems wouldn't be so notice if the whammy bar didn't effect the song like in The Beatles. Though then I guess if every song without stems couldn't produce a whammy noise then someone would get upset? Not sure what the consensus is on that

Yeah, personally, I'd be quite happy if there was some internal flag in the game to disable certain effects and behaviors on the no-stem or DIY-stem songs.