February 2018 DLC Prediction Thread: "Seasons" of Love

Comments

• tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

Corgan is the sole credited songwriter on ... all of their singles (any other band member songwriting contribution was always an album cut). If there are rights complications, it’s not because of lineup changes. It’s because of Corgan.

Music licensing isn't just based on songwriting, though. Performers usually get some kind of percentage as well.
    They might get a percentage, but they seldom have executive control. There’s a reason we have Michael Jackson’s voice twice, but not a single song he wrote.
    Songwriters don't exactly have executive control either. Hence why we got Save Ferris's cover of "Come on Eileen" years before the original Dexy's Midnight Runners version.

While we're on the topic of '90s alt rock though, I'm surprised we still don't have "Bound for the Floor" by Local H (especially nowadays when packs are super rare and DLC is nearly always just single songs).
    While this first part is true in some cases, it doesn't necessarily apply to the Eileen situation.

The much more reasonable conclusion is Hmx went after the original but couldn't get good stems and instead went for the cover BECAUSE the song writer was okay with it.

Same with Ring of Fire. It was likely way easier to get stems for Social Distortion, and then years later they got access to Cash masters.

There are legalities which give writers certain control over their work unless specifically signed away. It's a rare thing for a writer to do so.

The more common block is when an artist maintains a say as well as a (usually) former label/bandmate(s) in which a falling out has occurred and one side doesn't want the other making money off of the project.

The case of Corgan definitely points to him being disenfranchised by plastic guitar games, maybe partially to do with the avatar thing Activision did which also pissed off other artists and had No Doubt (and others?) sue over, or maybe because Corgan get too uptight over "learning real guitar" like Kid Rock and DMB were (which oddly DMB changed their minds later).

But yeah, we DEFINITELY need Bound for the Floor.
    Yeah, as far as '90s Alt Rock One Hit Wonders go, "Bound for the Floor" is a stand out. Before anyone links me, I already requested it haha

But yeah, as far as covers go, didn't Harmonix confirm the DON'T have to go through the original songwriter, or am I misremembering that? Music licensing is complicated as hell.

I could easily see Corgan being part of the anti-plastic guitar brigade, but he seems to be more interested in professional wrestling these days anyway.
    Maybe Corgan should "learn real" wrestling..

Where's @Hogan2015 at? At least he knows wrestling and not this sports-entertainment crap.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 12
    tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

Corgan is the sole credited songwriter on ... all of their singles (any other band member songwriting contribution was always an album cut). If there are rights complications, it’s not because of lineup changes. It’s because of Corgan.

Music licensing isn't just based on songwriting, though. Performers usually get some kind of percentage as well.
    They might get a percentage, but they seldom have executive control. There’s a reason we have Michael Jackson’s voice twice, but not a single song he wrote.
    Songwriters don't exactly have executive control either. Hence why we got Save Ferris's cover of "Come on Eileen" years before the original Dexy's Midnight Runners version.

While we're on the topic of '90s alt rock though, I'm surprised we still don't have "Bound for the Floor" by Local H (especially nowadays when packs are super rare and DLC is nearly always just single songs).
    While this first part is true in some cases, it doesn't necessarily apply to the Eileen situation.

The much more reasonable conclusion is Hmx went after the original but couldn't get good stems and instead went for the cover BECAUSE the song writer was okay with it.

Same with Ring of Fire. It was likely way easier to get stems for Social Distortion, and then years later they got access to Cash masters.

There are legalities which give writers certain control over their work unless specifically signed away. It's a rare thing for a writer to do so.

The more common block is when an artist maintains a say as well as a (usually) former label/bandmate(s) in which a falling out has occurred and one side doesn't want the other making money off of the project.

The case of Corgan definitely points to him being disenfranchised by plastic guitar games, maybe partially to do with the avatar thing Activision did which also pissed off other artists and had No Doubt (and others?) sue over, or maybe because Corgan get too uptight over "learning real guitar" like Kid Rock and DMB were (which oddly DMB changed their minds later).

But yeah, we DEFINITELY need Bound for the Floor.
    Yeah, as far as '90s Alt Rock One Hit Wonders go, "Bound for the Floor" is a stand out. Before anyone links me, I already requested it haha

But yeah, as far as covers go, didn't Harmonix confirm the DON'T have to go through the original songwriter, or am I misremembering that? Music licensing is complicated as hell.

I could easily see Corgan being part of the anti-plastic guitar brigade, but he seems to be more interested in professional wrestling these days anyway.
    It could be maybe be to do only wanting songs licensed around the time new albums/songs release so that games end up getting new songs at the same time as the hits.

If we look at the times Smashing Pumpkins have been in GH, RB, RS you have:
    - 2007: RB1, GH3 (Cherub Rock)
    - 2008: RB2, GHWT (Today); GH On Tour Decades (Tarantula); GHWT DLC (1979, The Everlasting Gaze, G.L.O.W.); RB2 DLC (Siva, Zero) [End of RB support]
    - 2009: GH5 (Bullet With Butterfly Wings) [End of GH support]
    - 2013: RS2014 (The Chimera); RS2014 DLC (Cherub Rock, Today, 1979, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Disarm, Tonight Tonight) [end of RS support]

Might be a case of waiting for a new album to release. Tarantula, G.L.OW. and The Chimera were rather new when they came to the respective games. RB does kind of negate this idea but it works with the other 2.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited February 12
    Well if you look at it Corgan basically pulled support for "those games" after GHWT when he was a character.

One song being in GH5 is likely a carry over like RB having a Metallica song in RB2 (likely licensed for the sequel at the time the other songs were licensed). Hell him being pissed and them still using his song in the next game because they could legally likely turned him off completely.

I know pretty much every artist with an avatar in GH was ticked off to some degree. A few even tried to sue and some have never been in a "guitar game" since (RS excluded as that's viewed as a teaching tool).
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited February 13
    Great songs by Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox Twenty!!
  • Turns out the split between pre-2003 and post-2002 for Alternative was because of a 2002 song (Unwell) being DLC in the older Alternative challenge week after all.
  • Witticus said:

I've had 4 weeks this year where 2 songs were on my wishlist the same week. 2018 is shaping up to be something really special... Mostly.

For me these were on my wish list

Torn, Enjoy the Silence
    Absolutely, Brick House
    Slide, Unwell
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    KKFan5 said:

Witticus said:

I've had 4 weeks this year where 2 songs were on my wishlist the same week. 2018 is shaping up to be something really special... Mostly.

For me these were on my wish list

Torn, Enjoy the Silence
    Absolutely, Brick House
    Slide, Unwell
    Mine too! Along with Takin Care of Buisness and Lonely is the Night!
  • Here's complete numbers for the rest of the genres:
    Pre-2003 Alternative - 201 (202 if Absolutely is used twice)
    Grunge - 84
    Hip-Hop/Rap - 29
    New Wave - 71
    Other - 2 (1 on PS4)
    Punk - 146
    Reggae/Ska - 29
    Rock - 397

This is for the complete library excluding the DLC we don't know about and including the legacy DLC not yet fixed (e.g. Pre-2003 Alternative numbers include Dinosaur Jr.'s The Wagon).

I could also see them doing a 90s celebration week, but still have Grunge as the focus genre, but include rap/hip-hop (maybe with 1 90s rap song as dlc but not spotlight), and Reggae/Ska (bands like Sublime and early No Doubt) to help boost the theme. If Blink is still Punk in game that would fit too.

That leaves basically Rock/New Wave perhaps for an 80s style Rock challenge (but still including all Rock).
    Sorta called it-ish. Fully expecting the 80s Rock/New Wave week next week. Hopefully it'll be awesome.
  • Turns out the split between pre-2003 and post-2002 for Alternative was because of a 2002 song (Unwell) being DLC in the older Alternative challenge week after all.

So it was. Good call.
    edited February 13
    Given the decade usage in the pass so far, I think the last week is going to be Rock the Charts 02. Say for example something like:
    Foo Fighters - "The Sky is a Neighborhood" (spotlight pass)
    Royal Blood - "I Only Lie When I Love You"
    Stone Temple Pilots - "Meadow"
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited February 13
    Please no.

While the song sounds kinda cool, the lyrics in Sky are quite awful.

And I'd really prefer Out of the Black, though I Only Lie is okay.

And Meadow? There's a couple of STP songs I'd be okay with. (Edit: A little odd they went with someone that sounds more like Chester too; just throws the whole STP sound off.)

I'd honestly rather a 3 pack of new rock bands we don't have yet, or at least ones that are actually new rock bands.

If we're getting Foo or STP I'd vastly prefer some of the last few popular singles over new stuff.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited February 13

I'd honestly rather a 3 pack of new rock bands we don't have yet

This. Let's look at the most recent Grammy awards. For all the many, many things the Grammies get wrong...

Best Rock Album
    A Deeper Understanding – The War on Drugs

Best Alternative Music Album
    Sleep Well Beast – The National

They got these bang-on right.

Round out the recent-rock with, say, Brand New?

2017 Was Really A Great Year In Rock 01
    The National - Day I Die
    The War on Drugs - Pain
    Brand New - Out of Mana
    edited February 13

Please no.

And Meadow? There's a couple of STP songs I'd be okay with. (Edit: A little odd they went with someone that sounds more like Chester too; just throws the whole STP sound off.)

I'd honestly rather a 3 pack of new rock bands we don't have yet, or at least ones that are actually new rock bands.

If we're getting Foo or STP I'd vastly prefer some of the last few popular singles over new stuff.

I just picked 3 random late 2017 songs that did very well on the Mainstream Rock charts which seems to be the structure used for the first pack (but earlier in 2017).
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I am sure we will get all Rock songs not just 80’s rock since they haven’t been used left, along with New Wave.
  • Please no.

I just picked 3 random late 2017 songs that did very well on the Mainstream Rock charts which seems to be the structure used for the first pack (but earlier in 2017).
    I figured as much, but wanted to voice my opposition to those particular songs. Plenty of others to choose from.
  • djb5f1 said:

I am sure we will get all Rock songs not just 80’s rock since they haven’t been used left, along with New Wave.

If you read my post I quoted it said "but still including all rock".

It'll just have an 80s bent on it, like this weeks 90s(ish).
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Here's complete numbers for the rest of the genres:
    Grunge - 84
    Hip-Hop/Rap - 29
    New Wave - 71
    Other - 2 (1 on PS4)
    Punk - 146
    Reggae/Ska - 29
    Rock - 397

This is for the complete library excluding the DLC we don't know about and including the legacy DLC not yet fixed (e.g. Pre-2003 Alternative numbers include Dinosaur Jr.'s The Wagon).

I could also see them doing a 90s celebration week, but still have Grunge as the focus genre, but include rap/hip-hop (maybe with 1 90s rap song as dlc but not spotlight), and Reggae/Ska (bands like Sublime and early No Doubt) to help boost the theme. If Blink is still Punk in game that would fit too.

That leaves basically Rock/New Wave perhaps for an 80s style Rock challenge (but still including all Rock).
    Sorta called it-ish. Fully expecting the 80s Rock/New Wave week next week. Hopefully it'll be awesome.
    @bonethug0108 , this is the one I was responding to. Just saw the 80’s rock part.
  • djb5f1 said:

Here's complete numbers for the rest of the genres:
    Grunge - 84
    Hip-Hop/Rap - 29
    New Wave - 71
    Other - 2 (1 on PS4)
    Punk - 146
    Reggae/Ska - 29
    Rock - 397

@bonethug0108 , this is the one I was responding to. Just saw the 80’s rock part.
    Yup I figured that, which is why I pointed out the quote.
    edited February 13
    I've been trying to put together my perfect 2017 Rock Hits 02 and came to the conclusion that my picks were would be Indie Rock... Which I'm not sure if it's been used yet.

Rock Hits 02 The really trying to stick to the Rock theme version
    Death From Above - Freeze Me
    Queens of the Stone Age - Feet Don't Fail Me
    Royal Blood - Hole in Your Heart

This is probably Indie Rock
    Arcade Fire - Creature Comfort
    Findlay - Electric Bones
    Grouplove - Welcome to Your Life
    Japandroids - Near to the Wild Heart of Life
    The Orwells - They Put the Body in the Bayou
    St. Vincent - Los Ageless
  • Missing 90s Tunes Pack 01*

Far Behind
    Runaway Train
    Bound For The Floor
    Everything About You

*not an actual prediction
  • Witticus said:

I've been trying to put together my perfect 2017 Rock Hits 02 and came to the conclusion that my picks were would be Indie Rock... Which I'm not sure if it's been used yet.

Findlay - Electric Bones

Needs MOAR Fozzy! :)
    KidSleez said:

Witticus said:

Findlay - Electric Bones

Needs MOAR Fozzy! :)
    Fozzy? How far out of the loop am I!?
  • If we got Toad the Wet Sprocket, I'd rather have Fall Down or Good Intentions.

Not sure how they rank popularity wise, but I like those songs a lot better.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    In terms of Youtube views (usually a pretty accurate barometer of current popularity comparing between older songs), All I Want is at a little over 3 million views, with Fall Down a little over 1 mil and Good Intentions at half a million.

In terms of Youtube views (usually a pretty accurate barometer of current popularity comparing between older songs), All I Want is at a little over 3 million views, with Fall Down a little over 1 mil and Good Intentions at half a million.

I’ve had great luck with Spotify. For a song to come as DLC recently, it seems to have to at least pass the 10 million listens threshold unless it was part of RBVR.

Here’s theTop 5 for Toad the Wet Sproket!

All I Want - 12 million
    Walk the Ocean - 7.8 million
    Something’s Always Wrong - 3 million
    Fall Down - 2.4 million
    Good Intentions - 1.3 million

All I Want is definetly a contender, but in all honesty I doubt anything else would make it.
    edited February 14
    @Witticus Given your findings, what does the list look like for Matchbox Twenty? Include any songs we already have as I think it would be interesting to see where the 2012 pack fits.
This discussion has been closed.