Rock Band Rivals Online Matchmaking Update Discussion Thread

Comments

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    KidSleez said:

Using your example and knowing how hard it is to match your requirements, is it worth it to exclude users who have, say, 950 shared songs?

Yes, if it keeps people with 95 songs from joining. If I'm sitting there with no one to play with, you can probably figure out what would happen next.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited March 7

If Quick Join completely ignores player requests for their online sessions, then that defeats the purpose of setting sessions requests. It really should be one or the other.

In theory, Quick Join should make things easier, but it seems like its leading to more frustration and confusion.

From my experience, it seems the majority of players have little to zero DLC and that there are always multiple sessions available for those with just disc songs, so I'm not seeing the issue of an online system honoring player session requests would keep disc players from having online sessions to play in.

If anything, since more people than not have little to no dlc, the people setting requests will be the ones having trouble finding players.

I don't see how making requests mandatory shuts out the "non elite".

At the least the dlc counts and rivals challenge songs requests should be able to be made mandatory. If someone who invested a **** ton into dlc wants to find others who have too they should be accommodated.

Edit:
    And if people with tons of dlc are having trouble finding others with as much, they can keep relaxing the request to lesser amounts until they find a group.

Again this does NOTHING to shut people with little to no dlc out by making dlc count requests mandatory. There are enough disc only users that that will never be an issue.
  • KazooKazoo Unsigned
    KidSleez said:

Kazoo said:

Don't worry about it. I play Expert and I'm not. :) I just hate playing on hard. And, yeah.. I get embarrassed a lot.

I don't generally do randoms or pickups, but I have played with some extremely good... like crazy good... people. As far as I can tell, none of them really care how I play. We just all have a good time. We party up, stream, whatever.

I won't pick any songs I personally have trouble with. Someone picked Afterlife the other day and I fumbled through the solo, but that wasn't my choice. I just don't want to ruin anybody's fun!

Seriously, almost everybody I've played with is very good on Expert. And nearly everybody has been on Pro Drums! Those charts are crazy. I often look over in curiosity and wind up missing my own notes! :)
    No kidding. I often miss notes admiring other players. :smile:

I also tend to play more Bass when with these beasty players. After a few songs, everyone knows my general lack of skill. I'll play anything. If they choose something crazy, that's on them.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited March 7

KidSleez said:

Using your example and knowing how hard it is to match your requirements, is it worth it to exclude users who have, say, 950 shared songs?

Yes, if it keeps people with 95 songs from joining. If I'm sitting there with no one to play with, you can probably figure out what would happen next.
    Yup just lower to the next tier. Not that hard.

I get not making difficulty mandatory because that does split the base, but dlc count affects the minority, not the majority, and it'd be the minority's decision to be affected.
  • KidSleez said:

Fair enough.
  • KazooKazoo Unsigned

everyone on expert? i guess i should stay away...i can only do drums on some songs expert...no fail mode on?

Why is everyone concerned about that? If the group is listed for "for fun" just go and have fun. Personally, I couldn't care less if you played on Easy.

(But, I'm not an expert expert. Just a beginning expert... a mere 862 on Guitar, 902 on Bass, and I often don't play even that well)
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

If Quick Join completely ignores player requests for their online sessions, then that defeats the purpose of setting sessions requests. It really should be one or the other.

In theory, Quick Join should make things easier, but it seems like its leading to more frustration and confusion.

From my experience, it seems the majority of players have little to zero DLC and that there are always multiple sessions available for those with just disc songs, so I'm not seeing the issue of an online system honoring player session requests would keep disc players from having online sessions to play in.

If anything, since more people than not have little to no dlc, the people setting requests will be the ones having trouble finding players.

I don't see how making requests mandatory shuts out the "non elite".

At the least the dlc counts and rivals challenge songs requests should be able to be made mandatory. If someone who invested a **** ton into dlc wants to find others who have too they should be accommodated.

Edit:
    And if people with tons of dlc are having trouble finding others with as much, they can keep relaxing the request to lesser amounts until they find a group.

Again this does NOTHING to shut people with little to no dlc out by making dlc count requests mandatory. There are enough disc only users that that will never be an issue.
    yep, been saying this all along also.

• gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    I had an awesome time with two people on strings and me on vox - they were playing on hard and medium - and I was super OK with that because we had 800 songs in common. Yay! We were all picking more obscure songs that we don't usually see in the playlist maker :smiley:

And sometimes I want to play in a full band and jump into a group of three pre-made that are showing 98 songs in common. I'm ok with that too.

If you are on PS4 and have a lot of DLC - add me - any play level. Lets rock! PSN: Gaiacat

everyone on expert? i guess i should stay away...i can only do drums on some songs expert...no fail mode on?

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Ya know, anytime anyone is a "just for fun" group, you should jump in and play just for fun, even if you play on easy or medium!
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned

Ya know, anytime anyone is a "just for fun" group, you should jump in and play just for fun, even if you play on easy or medium!

agree here, if its just for fun, I will play whatever instrument at the level I can play best, if they don't like me they can leave. I play on hard guitar and bass, medium drums and expert vocals
    if I try to step up above my level it becomes not fun for me and everyone, cause I am just floundering around
  • edited March 8
    I have been having better luck looking through the list of online lobbies and joining the ones that I prefer to join. I like to have more DLC than anything else. Couldn't careless what difficulties anyone plays on...it's always* for fun!

*until Twilight of the Thunder God is picked :D

Also I have been guilty of joining a group of friends without looking at the requirements and started picking non-Rivals songs... was too excited to have almost my whole dlc list available.

@hardcoredrummer It will show you if the lobby has "No-Fail Mode" on or not.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    I asked this before and never saw a response... is there a limit to the number of pages you can scroll through to find a group? I’ve never seen more than 2 pages of available groups to join... PSN...
  • BachiG said:

I asked this before and never saw a response... is there a limit to the number of pages you can scroll through to find a group? I’ve never seen more than 2 pages of available groups to join... PSN...

Not sure, but that's been my experience as well (2 pages), even on XBL.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    Yup - two pages - and it does not change for me. :neutral:
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    itzJV said:

Forgot to mention. If you got the bug where all online sessions only have "89 Shared Songs" when looking at the Online Lobby list, refreshing your library will fix this issue and display the correct amount of songs shared.

Thank you. I didn't know how to fix this! <3 o:)

• PaulSmart said:

I would love to see them add a button for checking the leaderboards online. There's times I wonder what my band ranked after scoring high. Miss that about RB3. I don't care too much about ranking, but it was always fun to just check and say "wow we actually are top 10".

This RB3 Had by far the best leader boards !!
    I didn't specifically mean "bring back RB3 leaderboards". I meant being able to even see them while playing in an online session ;)
    But i do miss the RB3 UI.
  • edited March 9
    <3 the update overall

I seem to get the opposite vox glitch - I'll sometimes miss a phrase and still show up as 100% at the end (though my personal score seems to reflect my local, imperfect performance.) Sometimes overdrive is glitchy, too. I'll activate, swear that the animation for it triggered, then notice my over isn't actually driving.

Have to echo concerns about song preference for challenge songs - it would be really great to mandate this when creating setlist. Other things that may at least help: if quick join is really the culprit a lot of the time, then prevent quick join from selecting these rooms; add a song request message for challenge songs; and/or create filters for browsing rooms (this last one would be helpful in general, especially with the two page limit).

Without a better solution for the challenge song issue, I'll unfortunately probably be sticking with private rooms during rivals weeks. So, uh, anyone wanna befriend an expert vocalist to play challenge songs with? I usually "play for fun" but could be up for high scores or such on occasion (just a warning that I'm newer to score chasing as a band, tho). I'm up to almost 700 songs total. :]

Edit: PS4
  • xXKarzaXxxXKarzaXx Unsigned
    Anyone have an issue with people just outright skipping your song choices? Had a guy do this to me twice earlier.The first time they skipped my song like 30 seconds from the end (I was gonna get 100% too) so I don't know why the person didn't just stick it out.At first I thought their batteries kept dying but I guess they were just struggling and rage skipped my song.Second time my song was skipped within the first 30 seconds.I sat through all of their songs picked,some of which I haven't even heard before in my life (I play vocals so that sort of matters I guess?) but I played through them without complaint.This guy couldn't even sit through my choices or drop their difficulty level.I straight up quit the moment my second song was skipped.I'm not tolerating that rudeness.Worst thing was that I only have limited time to play Rock Band and I wasted one and 3 quarter sets on that crap.
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    xXKarzaXx said:

Anyone have an issue with people just outright skipping your song choices? Had a guy do this to me twice earlier.The first time they skipped my song like 30 seconds from the end (I was gonna get 100% too) so I don't know why the person didn't just stick it out.At first I thought their batteries kept dying but I guess they were just struggling and rage skipped my song.Second time my song was skipped within the first 30 seconds.I sat through all of their songs picked,some of which I haven't even heard before in my life (I play vocals so that sort of matters I guess?) but I played through them without complaint.This guy couldn't even sit through my choices or drop their difficulty level.I straight up quit the moment my second song was skipped.I'm not tolerating that rudeness.Worst thing was that I only have limited time to play Rock Band and I wasted one and 3 quarter sets on that crap.

That is pretty low. I haven’t had that happen to me but would be very frustrating and would avoid that user if I saw them in the future.

You should have tried to send them a message by picking “Rude” (but sounds like they would have skipped that too
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    Had a weird situation yesterday... PS4.

Booted the game, callibrated, tested in quick play, rinse and repeat a couple times till it was solid.

Fired up an online session and invited a crew member. Upon entering the setlist, we found that the Rivals Challenge filter was missing, as were the Rs.

Annoying, but since it's women's week, changed the gender setting figuring that's good enough.

We both pick 2 songs and then... Nothing. We try removing anf re-adding songs... Nope. Just sits there. Tried backing out to green room and back... Nope.

Had to leave session. Decided to go into Rivals mode "just in case", then returned and remade tbe session.

After that, everything worked fine. So not sure if it was a random bug or if you really need to go into Rivals prior to doing anything to trigger something...
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior

rivals going to go on sale again? so is it worth it for quick online matches?

As someone who never played online before this latest update: YES

• Sometimes you feel like it's your fault the band split up, but I just want to let you know it is.
  • Abaddon said:

I want to thank Harmonix; I've never been in a band IRL, but I've now gotten to experience the joy of being the uncomfortable drummer in the middle as the guitar/bass players waged a virtual war for supremacy over the guitar. One guy kept camping on guitar and the other (who had started the session, the camper came in after me) quit in frustration. Virtual Band Drama!

Funniest thing I've come across while playing online is when somebody selected Afterlife (incidentally, this is the only A7X song that's been picked since I've been playing online, and I've been playing quite a bit), the bassist insta-quit the session! :p