ONLINE Multiplayer Etiquette

Comments

• Protege420Protege420 Unsigned
    edited December 2016

Again, that Turtle Beach Dope Smoker Edition is a full-on set of headphones. They use the term "headset" but it is headphones.

There are no wireless chat headset options for Xbox One. Only headphones with microphones.

ya i tried to raise a flag a while ago (forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/264010/fender-jaguar-will-not-have-mic-port#latest), but Harmonix's hands are tied due to Microsoft's 3rd party wireless mic policy

so you either fumble around with a controller and mic while playing guitar/bass/drums or use another device like a phone on a different chat platform ie skype/discord

its a bummer really
  • aray said:

Did I miss something ??? Did online mode come out finally ?

No, it's delayed
  • aray said:

Did I miss something ??? Did online mode come out finally ?

It's going to come out in January, afaik.

• edited February 28
    Let me preface this by saying that I am not saying I do/do not find these things acceptable nor am I trying to establish any sort of guidelines. I am simply curious for your input.

Obviously playing like this you are going to be playing with people you do not know and likely will not be able to readily communicate with, so I am interested in what the community thinks about some things when playing online. Some of these things include:

1. Picking songs that are on the easy/difficult extremes, is there a song that is too hard or too easy to be picked in multiplayer? Where do you think the cutoff is, if there is one?

2. Picking metal songs or other songs that are 100% talkies when there is a vocalist present?

3. What is a reasonable amount of time to pick a song/ready up after a song (or move to the next song for the session creator)?

4. Joining sessions without meeting the requests?

5. Anything else that somebody may take exception with that I should be aware of?

EDIT: I am very curious about this additional point as well. If somebody has a 950 skill+ lobby or “wants to play hard songs” what do you think is an acceptable performance for joining this type of lobby? GS all songs? Most songs? Obviously somebody that makes a tag like this wants to filter out the majority of the people joining, so what is “good enough”?

Like I said, I am curious as to how the community feels about the topic of online etiquette and would like to see what people think. I am not trying to create guidelines or tell people how to play the game. Thank you.

• The only one I have a strong opinion about is point 4 of which if you're not going to only pick Rivals challenge songs, don't join lobbies which says "Wants to play Rivals challenge songs". Of course HMX forcing the Rivals challenge filter on everyone in a "Wants to play Rivals challenge songs" lobby would be an even better solution (Rivals is serious business!).

I could definitely see this being an issue, fortunately it (seems like) it would be an easy fix, although I’m not a game engineer. At least they have plenty of time to mull it over since it’s in between seasons.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    As someone who sings online, I actually don't mind all-talkie songs. But that's just me, as someone who actually enjoys doing death growls and the such. That said, I also like songs that have a mix of growls and melodic vocals, as well as songs with just clean vocals. So I'd say at least vary it up if we're playing online and I'm on vocals. That point in general would be a player-by-player basis thing, I think.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited February 28
    I'm so happy that we again have a need for online etiquette!

@Xanicide_ Of course, that was old school online play and you have brought up some great points to include new things in online multiplayer. Here are my Personal answers and I do not speak for anyone else:

1. song difficulty picking - if I join a group and don't know the skill level I try to give everyone 2-3 dots on first song and myself higher difficulty to indicate that I like a challenge. It is also helpful when joining an in progress game to notice if people are struggling with current song - I try to give less dots to them on my pick.

2. As a vocalist, I'm ok with people picking whatever they want. If they constantly pick talkies though, I will join another group. If someone picks same song for every set I will go to a different group.

3. I think a reasonable time to pick a song is @ 1-2 minutes a song. After I pick a song and while waiting for others, I start looking for a song I would like to play next set.

4. Joining a group without being able to meet request. Ugh. Happened today. Joined a friends group and I know we both share @ 800 songs. the criteria was 500+ songs in common -and I got an " you don't meet criteria" message. I joined anyway. The reason I got the message was that someone with only disk/rivals was in group - so there was no way I match when they only have 98 songs. At least this will warn me that someone is already in group without songs.

• kaneruleskanerules Rising Star
    edited February 28
    So I have probably a stupid question..but have never gotten 100% confirmation on.

If im doing vocals..I don't have a headset so I'm wondering if I can be heard through the RB mic?

If so..I apologize to all of those I've offended..but I would also think I'd have received an angry message or two by now if that were the case lol.
  • There's not even voice chat programmed into our game.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited March 7
    kanerules said:

So I have probably a stupid question..but have never gotten 100% confirmation on.

If im doing vocals..I don't have a headset so I'm wondering if I can be heard through the RB mic?

If so..I apologize to all of those I've offended..but I would also think I'd have received an angry message or two by now if that were the case lol.

Not a stupid question at all. When RB4 first came out with online play, I got on with a friend to see if they could hear me singing. THEY CANNOT in the game.

IT's a different story if you are in a voice chat room and do not mute. They hear everything. To avoid this, sign into rockband with your headset as mic. Add a mic as guest or other PSN. Mute the headset mic during playing songs - the other mic will still give credit to whatever PSN is listed as player.
  • Basically @gaiacat has it right, the only way to be heard as a vocalist is if you have an XBL/PSN party/vox chat on. If you want that party/chat on as vox whilst playing, you will also need a USB mic for the actual score to avoid traumatizing your bandmates.

...this coming from someone whose XBL friends know what the 'angry fratboy' version of "I Miss The Misery" sounds like, and I mean sounds like.
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    This is only a suggestion. If you are a vocalist, try to play Harmonies in Multiplayer, 'cause you'll have more chances to activate overdrive.
    And please bassists/guitarists try to follow drummers/vocalists when you're about to activate ovedrive, we can't activate it whenever we want like you do.
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    I've been thinking about what is "right" activation wise in the Rivals era.

Typically, I try to follow the drummer or vocalist as close as possible... But Rivals kind of throws a different wrench in the mix.

The drum/vox activations do not always play nice with the guitar/bass charts, and you can easily lose a ton of points due to this...

Maybe your band score is great cuz you had 8x, but you wasted OD on a section with a bunch of long sustains... And you miss out on gold/xp.

This of course assumes you're playing challenge songs.

Curious what people think is the "correct" way to approach this.
  • If you're playing for XP, you activate as if you're playing alone as band scores mean nothing.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

If you're playing for XP, you activate as if you're playing alone as band scores mean nothing.

Yeah, on particularly difficult songs, where I can lose my combo at any point, I am activating whenever I have a nice full combo going, rest of band is an afterthought!

Typically, I try to follow the drummer or vocalist as close as possible... But Rivals kind of throws a different wrench in the mix.
    The drum/vox activations do not always play nice with the guitar/bass charts, and you can easily lose a ton of points due to this...
    Maybe your band score is great cuz you had 8x, but you wasted OD on a section with a bunch of long sustains... And you miss out on gold/xp.

In Rivals Mode the score count only in Spotlight Songs, if you are playing Challenge Songs you only need to FC/GStar to obtain the maximum of XP.
    When I'm playing Multiplayer it's to play with others, so the main goal for me is the band score and the fun of course.
  • yoann007yoann007 Unsigned

I'd suggest taking the lobby settings into consideration. If it's dedicated to "playing Rivals spotlight songs", feel free to put the XP before anything else. In most other cases though, people expect you to play as a band.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    If I'm full on guitar/bass and the drummer lets one go by, I'm firing. I hate wasting overdrive accumulations in order to be a team player, and then end up without GS.
  • I "try" to wait until there is a good spot (being a drummer) in the song so that all band members can activate and use their own O.D. as well as get 8x. Playing online I kind of just try to make it more about fun than scores and FC's.

Also IDK why, but I usually miss if the singer activates OD when I'm not expecting :D
  • Group leader can and should kick players. Nobody is intentionally being rude. It’s just a simple misunderstanding. Whether it’s dlc amount or someone starts picking non-challenge songs.

Take the group back to the edit session screen. Hopefully they can read.
    If the rule breaking continues...It is the group leaders responsibility to kick the offender.

If I'm full on guitar/bass and the drummer lets one go by, I'm firing. I hate wasting overdrive accumulations in order to be a team player, and then end up without GS.

I suggest you to activate it just before the drummer's line becomes green.
  • tati81 said:

I suggest you to activate it just before the drummer's line becomes green.
    I'll go if someone else goes first!
  • I feel like those playing with me online must think I'm an idiot (which, well, that's true anyway :p) because my guitar often has a mind of its own regarding OD activation.
  • KidSleez said:

I feel like those playing with me online must think I'm an idiot (which, well, that's true anyway :p) because my guitar often has a mind of its own regarding OD activation.

Me too. They really made the OD activation on the RB4 guitar touchy. I swear sometimes I don't even move and it goes off.

• edited March 14
    rawsewage said:

KidSleez said:

I feel like those playing with me online must think I'm an idiot (which, well, that's true anyway :p) because my guitar often has a mind of its own regarding OD activation.

Me too. They really made the OD activation on the RB4 guitar touchy. I swear sometimes I don't even move and it goes off.

It never fails; I'm either standing still like a statue and it goes off or I'm almost levitating parallel to the ground and it DOESN'T go off.
  • yoann007yoann007 Unsigned

Group leader can and should kick players. Nobody is intentionally being rude. It’s just a simple misunderstanding. Whether it’s dlc amount or someone starts picking non-challenge songs.

Actually, I think RB will never match you with a game that requires an amount of DLC or competence that you don't have. When you don't meet requirements, you can only join a game by browsing manually and then join, AND THEN read a warning AND THEN choose to proceed anyway.

I think that alone is a bit rude. Especially when there's a huge DLC gap between what's asked and what you actually own. Nobody's going to scold you if you have 950+ DLCs and join a 1000+ party, but if you barely have disc songs, that's more than a little annoying.

I think rules should be mandatory and you shouldn't be able to join a game at all if you don't meet requirements. Unless there's a very good reason I'm missing there?
  • yoann007 said:

Group leader can and should kick players. Nobody is intentionally being rude. It’s just a simple misunderstanding. Whether it’s dlc amount or someone starts picking non-challenge songs.

Actually, I think RB will never match you with a game that requires an amount of DLC or competence that you don't have. When you don't meet requirements, you can only join a game by browsing manually and then join, AND THEN read a warning AND THEN choose to proceed anyway.

I think that alone is a bit rude. Especially when there's a huge DLC gap between what's asked and what you actually own. Nobody's going to scold you if you have 950+ DLCs and join a 1000+ party, but if you barely have disc songs, that's more than a little annoying.

I think rules should be mandatory and you shouldn't be able to join a game at all if you don't meet requirements. Unless there's a very good reason I'm missing there?
    The requirement isn't songs though, it's songs in common. There's around 2500 songs playable in RB4 so it's very easy to have a lobby that each have 1000+ songs but the songs in common are not much more than the disc and free songs.