New Rock Band Rivals Update!

Comments

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    If only you were on the good system, meat.
  • SadSandwichSadSandwich Unsigned
    @patl175 I don't mind playing disc songs at all, but when every lobby I join over the course of several hours is only disc songs, I'm done. I want to play my DLC with people! While I understand with the amount available, overlap can vary wildly, the "Shared Song" count shown when browsing sessions teases me constantly, "I see 200-300 shared songs, yay I can play some DLC with these people! Bleh, skill level restricted to over 900 :sad face:"

@Meat-Popsicle I have some of the same feelings, but when you have a full band, and all of you overdrive at the exact same time, you know you were all looking at each other's bars waiting for co-ordination and clicked together perfectly. It's a cool feeling. I agree with the not picking metal, several lobbies I entered they were currently playing Avenge Sevenfold and I just left. However, this is where cross over DLC helps so much - because I didn't buy everything for the sake of buying everything, I know that if I find someone who shares the same DLC as me we should generally have the same taste in music (unless they are of course someone who buys everything for the sake of buying everything).
  • edited April 2

As I understand it, these are the biggest reasons why one might benefit from playing in a full band with randoms:

1) to get that 1,000,000 points on a song trophy (if you are skilled enough to pull your own weight but don't know anyone else IRL that can help)
    2) to complete the Mission for playing SOMP online?
    3) it's fun for other reasons?

I guess I just don't get it, and because of that I feel left out / deeply flawed as a human being

I don't expect to get any seriously impressive full band high scores, and you can't taunt someone else's full band scores any way.
    I don't want to be the weak link, when everyone else in the band gets gold stars / FCs except me, being under that kind of pressure isn't fun. Switching to Hard = no chance at Band Gold Stars. Staying on Expert = I miss a lot of notes, including overdrive phases
    I feel just a bit silly for picking wuss songs [=anything not metal] when everyone else is picking death metal
    I don't want to play death metal 3/4 of the time

I DO have lots and lots of DLC, and I like to be helpful, so if you "need" to play a certain song, I probably have it. Hooray?
    I DO find it vaguely plausible that it would be more fun to grind out Rivals Challenge songs in a group. Even if it is a virtual group of anonymous strangers. But as I understand it, they haven't added this as a green room theme? Yet?
    I DO have no problem playing with people with lower skill ratings. Do they benefit from "getting to" play with a fairly decent player? Great!

Do people use chat much? Ever? How else do you get to know these people? Maybe I have too small of a sample size.
    I mean, I'm deeply shy around strangers, the odds of us all clicking immediately are pretty low, but isn't that the whole point? To have fun?

tl;dr I'm deeply shy around strangers, is that why I will never fully understand the joy that others get from playing online?

Give online a try. It's super fun. I'm no Expert player. I mostly stick to Hard online, even though I can play a little Expert. I haven't had any bad experiences as of yet. Often times nobody uses the chat, but occasionally they will. Basic greetings like "hello" when someone joins or a "that was fun" or "gotta go" are likely what you'll get or have time for. Had a nice long session of about 16 songs the other night: me on Hard guitar, someone on Hard Pro drums, and Expert bass and vocalists. Wide variety in set lists (I've had Call Me Maybe and Chandelier chosen and I picked Cake By The Ocean, for example).

I'm pretty antisocial, but when I'm playing online I mainly want everybody to have fun. Best part is if you run into someone in a session who is ruining your fun, you can just leave :)

Are you on XB or PS?
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited April 2
    I'm on PS (SilverSpg). I've never had a terrible experience online, I've only read about them. It's just various levels of "awkward" and "stressful" that I expect, with no real positive upside that I can picture.

In real life, I LOVE to sing ... if I know the songs at least a little bit ... and if I'm with people that I know, that I feel certain aren't judging me, that are maybe even thrilled that I'm singing so they don't have to. Playing online, people can't hear me at all [unless I screw up]. There's nothing fun about that, no upside. Either I sing it perfectly, and we move on to the next song with no comments ... or I miss a few phrases, or a bunch of phrases. Maybe they don't care THAT much, but maybe they do, but either way there's not much "fun" about it. In real life? We laugh about my failure. Or marvel that it actually sounded pretty good. Or maybe my fearless performance inspires someone to get up and sing harmony with me on the next song!

So online, I'm likely to play bass instead, but it's not that different of a situation. Either I play perfectly, and nobody cares (they all played perfectly too), or I screw up, and I can only imagine what they are thinking, because nobody is saying anything. Unlike with singing, there's no possible way to impress the rest of the band with the sound of my performance, other than, "wow, you didn't screw up at all!", so it's not such a tragedy that there was no one there to hear it.

I don't expect online play to be a truly horrible experience, I just can't picture any realistic upside, not with randoms. What am I missing? Or it's just fully understood that of course it's not nearly as fun for introverts and why would I even think of joining in?

Well, in theory, I might happen to find a slightly-chatty group of people that happen to love the same songs I do and that happen to be thrilled to find someone to be the 4th person that helped get them their first ever 1M point song. But what are the odds of that?

"We are all just grinding through all of the spotlight songs that we have in common, and there are a variety of skill levels in the band, and nobody is depending on others to play perfectly, though it's pretty cool when we play our 8th song together and happen to get gold stars" is a situation I could picture being pretty fun.

tl;dr maybe I was just supposed to recognize long ago that OF COURSE playing online with randoms doesn't appeal to introverts, oops?

In real life, I LOVE to sing ... if I know the songs at least a little bit ... and if I'm with people that I know, that I feel certain aren't judging me, that are maybe even thrilled that I'm singing so they don't have to. ...[snip]... In real life? We laugh about my failure. Or marvel that it actually sounded pretty good. Or maybe my fearless performance inspires someone to get up and sing harmony with me on the next song!

Hey, that perfectly sums up my singing career!

Except for that last line. In my case, I always figure that the worst that can happen when I totally butcher a song on vox is that someone else that's reluctant to sing will think, "Heck, *I* can do better than that" and then they take a turn on the mic!
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned

@patl175 I don't mind playing disc songs at all, but when every lobby I join over the course of several hours is only disc songs, I'm done. I want to play my DLC with people! While I understand with the amount available, overlap can vary wildly, the "Shared Song" count shown when browsing sessions teases me constantly, "I see 200-300 shared songs, yay I can play some DLC with these people! Bleh, skill level restricted to over 900 :sad face:"

Oh don't worry, i totally get your point, i didn't say i would always play the same 50-60 songs, i just said i don't mind sometimes playing with people that have less songs because i enjoy playing the game even if the songs i play aren't only my favourite bands, i'm pretty open to play almost anything when i feel like it, but most of the time i play alone, not online, especially when there is a challenge, i try to play only rivals songs
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    edited April 4
    Just chiming in to report something I've noticed consistently...

Edit: I'm on XB1

there is a slight sound jitter whenever I am playing drums and a vocalist drops in or out of a song in play. It is quick and only lasts about 1/3 second or less. But it causes a slight stutter to my drum lane and causes a lost streak every time. After seeing this repeatedly and consistently for a while now I thought I'd report to see if anyone else has experienced this?

I will add that whenever a guitar or bass joins or drops mid-song this does not happen. The game is flawless in this case. So wondering what would be different about a vocalist vs. guitarist? I only play pro drums so I don't know if this is an active part of the equation or not. Thanks for any input. Keep on rocking!
    dllewel said:

Just chiming in to report something I've noticed consistently...

there is a slight sound jitter whenever I am playing drums and a vocalist drops in or out of a song in play. It is quick and only lasts about 1/3 second or less. But it causes a slight stutter to my drum lane and causes a lost streak every time. After seeing this repeatedly and consistently for a while now I thought I'd report to see if anyone else has experienced this?

I will add that whenever a guitar or bass joins or drops mid-song this does not happen. The game is flawless in this case. So wondering what would be different about a vocalist vs. guitarist? I only play pro drums so I don't know if this is an active part of the equation or not. Thanks for any input. Keep on rocking!

Excellent and detailed description. Which console?
  • dlleweldllewel Unsigned
    XB1

Excellent and detailed description. Which console?

Thanks LordFlatus. Maybe not excellent since I forgot to mention the console. It is XB1. I have edited the original to show this as well. Thank you.