How does one improve the "Skill" score?

I started this year at a Skill level of 872 on Bass.

Since then I have played hundreds of songs, improved my scores substantially, and racked-up over a hundred expert full combos.

My Skill score is now 868.

I don't get it.

Does anyone know what the Skill score is based on?

Comments

• It's based on how many songs you have gold-starred. The more you have, the higher your skill level.

Songs you have played and have not achieved gold stars will drop your skill level. Sort through your song library by stars to see which ones you need to work on.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    It adds your average skill rating in the 7 difficulty tiers (0-6 dots). 1000 is perfect Gold star average in each tier.

So basically, find scores that you got low stars or that you have a high score on anything less than Expert and improve those first on Expert so that Expert is your high score that is saved on the leaderboard.

Here is a thread with more info.
    http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/281625/900-skill-points/p1
  • If you are just looking for the achievement, the quickest-easiest way to get a high skill is to play an instrument that you have never played, play one song of each diffictulty zero dot to devil tier on expert only, get 5 or gold stars. I had over 500 songs played on most instruments, but not harmonies. 7 song plays later, the achievement popped. I didn't even gold all of the songs.

No you can't reset your account, so if your instruments all have lots of song plays, there is no longer a quick way to level up your skill, and the above solution and thread is your best option (replay songs on expert until you have 5 or gold stars). If you find you can't gold stars on songs, you may be, like many of us (myself included), just not that skilled! ;)
  • Ah, that was very helpful. I will simply have to get better, particularly on the harder songs. Perhaps 900 is out of my reach. I expect I'll get over it :-)
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    This thread was very helpful. It never occurred to me to ask because I just figured it had to do with how well you played compared to other players. And my skill did get affected whenever I bought and played new songs but I just didn't associate the two together. I can sympathize being stuck for so long. I had a higher skill and trying to get to 1,000. I was at 991 on bass for a long time, and now I'm down a point at 990. Considering that I have songs like Through the Fire and Flames on my console, I'm not sure if 1,000 skill points is within my reach.
  • Edify1 said:

This thread was very helpful. It never occurred to me to ask because I just figured it had to do with how well you played compared to other players. And my skill did get affected whenever I bought and played new songs but I just didn't associate the two together. I can sympathize being stuck for so long. I had a higher skill and trying to get to 1,000. I was at 991 on bass for a long time, and now I'm down a point at 990. Considering that I have songs like Through the Fire and Flames on my console, I'm not sure if 1,000 skill points is within my reach.

Oh trust me same.. Through the Fire and Flames on Pro Drums will definitely keep me from 1,000 on Pro Drums lol
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Edify1 said:

. Considering that I have songs like Through the Fire and Flames on my console, I'm not sure if 1,000 skill points is within my reach.

To be clear (because a lot of people are mistaken in this front), the skill calculation does not care what you have in your console. It cares what you have on the leaderboard.

If you have a song in your console that you’ve never posted to leaderboard it isn’t affecting your skill in any way. Likewise, if you played a song but it is not on your console (played on another machine in your account, deleted it from your console, whatever), it is still contributing to your skill calculation whether you like it or not, and once you have a score in leaderboard there is no way to revoke it (your only hope is to improve on it).
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    Is it really true that there is no way to revoke it though?

What if HMX did a leader board wipe on that song?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Yes, a HMX wipe would clear it from the servers (incidentally it wouldn’t clear it from your local list until you actually played it on any instrument). There’s no way any end-user player can force a revoke, unless they pull the long con of getting hired to get server access like gnf did.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Hit moar notes