Any chance for an expansion of the character customization?

i miss the days of rock band 1 and 2 character customization. the different attitude styles had so much personality back then, even the premade characters like sir duke or penelope mcqueen. you can't even have actual glasses in rock band 4! there's a depressing lack of options in this game.

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited April 15
    They put out surveys from time to time asking users what their priority wanted game improvements are. I’ve been voting for character customization as prio #1 every time, but between the online people wanting their online things and the not-so-online people dividing the vote with other demands like Blitz Mode or Yet Another Career Path Mode, the only implemented things so far (since the surveys) have been for online people, and relatively minor things like trill-lane timing improvements and song play count visibility.

Their most recent AMA type thing made it pretty clear that character customization was nowhere near the top of the priority list. It was online stuff, followed by online stuff, along with yet more online stuff.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    I agree as well, the customization of characters leaves A LOT to be desired. I have nephews and nieces going "WOAH" at what GH: Warriors of Rock had to offer (bought it two weeks ago because I was bored and was on sale for only $3), and as much as I don't like the GH series very much, I have to give them props for knowing how to make the concerts/venues so damn exciting and just plain badass on the animations (they even go above and beyond by recording specific animations for their songs, like in Bohemian Rhapsody: https://youtu.be/6u32Qupdd10?t=20) and costumes they really go into depth on customization, especially on the instruments; you can literally build the guitars from scratch by selecting the bodies, fretboard, bridges, knobs, artwork, etc.

Please HMX, bring a patch that goes HEAVY on the customization, especially the part about attitudes from RB1 (goth, rocker, metalhead, punk, etc), they gave so much personality to the characters and made them feel unique with their own movesets/animations.
  • They put out surveys from time to time asking users what their priority wanted game improvements are. I’ve been voting for character customization as prio #1 every time, but between the online people wanting their online things and the not-so-online people dividing the vote with other demands like Blitz Mode or Yet Another Career Path Mode, the only implemented things so far (since the surveys) have been for online people, and relatively minor things like trill-lane timing improvements and song play count visibility.

Their most recent AMA type thing made it pretty clear that character customization was nowhere near the top of the priority list. It was online stuff, followed by online stuff, along with yet more online stuff.

How recent was that AMA? Wondering if it was before or after the March update that fixed a lot of online issues.

I'd imagine the next update probably fixes the rest like playing online with randoms becoming viable during Rivals challenges and multiple people per console.
  • The customisation in Rock Band 4 is really annoying because it's so limited. Some of the things I'd want don't seem like a big ask. Yet because there's so much missing, it kind of feels like it is. From most to least important to me:

- More hairstyles. I don't particularly like how my self-insert character has the same hair as at least two of my female characters simply because there is only really one long option. Some clearly missing hairstyles I'd like to see added are ringlet curls, pigtails, frosted tips, the "hime haircut" (basically long straight hair with a fringe and sidelocks, associated with noblewomen/similarly classy women in Japanese media) and whatever the heck you'd call Mike Score from A Flock of Seagulls' signature cut.
    - More clothing options, and more elaborate clothing options. We're supposed to be rock stars!
    - Shoes as a separate clothing slot, including an option for none at all.
    - Body types. Skinny should be an option, not the option.
    - Bass drum skins. Feels weird to have a band become iconic and still have a blank skin on there.
    - Guitar/bass details (such as pickups, headstock, neck, fret inlays, dials and switches). Again, we're supposed to be icons, but don't get to have our own signature models?
    - Microphone stand. There's a lot of potential for variety here that isn't used. I've seen ones that light up, ones that are in the shape of the singer's initial, ones with a shrubbery attached, black ones, silver ones, ones with different shaped bases... There's so much potential, yet none of it's even touched!
    - Mic model. Nothing against the SM58, but not everyone uses them. Just, nearly everyone!
    - Accessories to be divided into four separate slots: hats (separate from hair), glasses/masks, facial piercings, hand accessories (such as bracelets, wristwatches, gloves, rings).
    - The band's banner. Even just some font options would be amazing.
    - Nail polish. It's a pretty small detail, or so you think until the close-ups of the guitarist's hand.
  • We learned that we almost didn't have a character creator at all for Rock Band 4. So, I think the likelihood of what we got being expanded is unfortunately low - especially this far after release. I would really like improvements for it, though, a lot. I think I've ranked it first in past surveys.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...

We learned that we almost didn't have a character creator at all for Rock Band 4. So, I think the likelihood of what we got being expanded is unfortunately low - especially this far after release. I would really like improvements for it, though, a lot. I think I've ranked it first in past surveys.

I don’t know... if there’s one thing the surveys show, it’s thatHMX listens even if things take time to develop and evolve with such limited resources... I mean, we went from zero online to one of the best, most robust iterations of it ever. An update to the CC could easily come along now that online has been implemented.
  • BachiG said:

We learned that we almost didn't have a character creator at all for Rock Band 4. So, I think the likelihood of what we got being expanded is unfortunately low - especially this far after release. I would really like improvements for it, though, a lot. I think I've ranked it first in past surveys.

I don’t know... if there’s one thing the surveys show, it’s thatHMX listens even if things take time to develop and evolve with such limited resources... I mean, we went from zero online to one of the best, most robust iterations of it ever. An update to the CC could easily come along now that online has been implemented.
    That would be great, if it happens. I hope you're right.
  • Please harmonix. Listen to your fan base. Give us an update
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    As well as more clothing and hair options, body types, etc. what I really miss is the custom graphics editor stuff like tattoos, face paint, band logo, etc. I especially love how in RB3 you can expand the tattoo size to ridiculous degrees to essentially make body paint possible, and how your custom band logo would show up on the bass drum in-game and such
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited April 16
    Those surveys were a bit biased though.

The game was released far below the bar of previous titles and people wanted their gameplay back first.

I’m sure if the game came out in the form it is now, character customization would have been top of the list.

Gameplay features will always dominate a survey like that, especially if features existed previously, so perhaps there should have been one for gameplay and one for aesthetics.

I still can’t put gloves on my Kraft Punk